Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Baby, it's cold outside.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:43 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Baby, it's cold outside. Reply with quote

Being a southern softy I was quite amazed to see a group of sports bikers out yesterday. I know it was a beautiful day and once the frost cleared probably lovely riding conditions but I take my hat off to them.

Anyone else going/been out on their bike purely for jollies over the weekend.

Oh, and I was in my Jag with the heated seats on and the climate control set to 20C. Mini climate warming on. Thumbs Up

Rufty tufty bike me! Laughing

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:52 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope!
So cold close to Newcastle that we're seeing gritters on residential streets. Friday afternoon saw lots of black ice in the Alnwick area.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope - it ain't the cold that's the issue, it's the damp combined with the cold. That and the roads around Herts being coated in greasy crap / leaves. Bike can wait until it's bone dry cold.

For now ( like you ) it's car with heated seats / screens and A/C turned up to Ibiza.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:56 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can handle ambient temps at or above 10deg. Anything below I don't enjoy & I don't like doing things I don't enjoy . . . .

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headed out to my mates in about an hour. Debating if I take the VFR or the work hack. Decent gear stops the cold, I'll be plenty warm when I get there, it's purely down to road surface. Most of the road is likely gritted, but the last half mile may not be. And it's at the top of a hill. That's known for having shit weather.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:17 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

been out on my bike........not for jollies but to go to work Mad

road covered in frost, bike had to be kick started as battery showing signs of fatigue.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been out a bit yes - excluding green-laning I did get out on Friday and managed 150 miles w/ a couple of mates. But not sports bikes - I was on the old 500, one was on a tiger 800xc and t'other was on an 08 1050 Sprint. We went from Hull to Thirsk and then back halfway and stopped in Thornton le Dale for a cuppa, then back via Old Malton to Seaways @ Fridaythorpe. It was cold but not freezing - them two had heated seats and grips but I had nowt, and did wished I'd had grips a couple of times. Got back at 3:30 w/ just enough time to wipe the bike down and sort it (the roads had been wet and muddy and salty). The 500 is really easy to clean - small and all bits can be accessed.

Yesterday I took the 9 out cos it hasn't run for weeks - there was frost and ice on the road and I did think about turning round a couple of times because it was patently stupid - but the main roads were fine. Went to see a mate who's installing a dyno at his place in York then went up to Fridaythorpe and back via Middleton on the Wolds and Holme on Spalding Moor. At the end there a guy in an old mondeo ST stuck it to me - I tried, but my visor was splattered at this point. I flicked it up and set off as best I could but the bastard thing kept flicking back down every time I got north of 80. I had to give up so returned home cold, dirty and demoralised. It was great. : - |

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Last edited by trevor saxe-coburg-gotha on 09:54 - 01 Dec 2019; edited 2 times in total

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the 3 of us went to Bewdley, daughter, her friend & I, Friday afternoon, which was colder than today, for chips, and a lovely afternoon it was. Just because the gritters are out, and, there's a covering of thickish frost, doesn't mean it's particularly cold, -2 isn't that cold

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/fb_mondial_hps_125_2018_20191129_02_bewdley_2.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:40 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to finish my 350 bullet. I'm not taking my other ones out in the salt, it just fucks them. I have no time or patience for washing bikes beyond chucking a bucket of water and I'm fed up getting to the spring and finding my bike needs a full strip-down of the brakes and suspension to get it something like functional.

So in the garage this weekend between work commitments.... Actually, it's baltic so designing a wiring diagram sounds like a good plan.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
-2 isn't that cold

Rolling Eyes

Yes it is. And if you're on anything but main roads you're going to crash. Also, even if you're on gritted A roads, get up to 70 (i.e. keep up w/ traffic) and then you've got the wind chill that comes with it, and that's even colder.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One degree of temp lost for every 10mph of speed. Something like that.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's do-able to around freezing if you aren't going to be out in it more than an hour or so.
Nowadays I save road bikes from salty destruction by only using the CRF250 through winter though and it's kind of slow - plus there is usually some off road involved which can easily have you too warm with your survival suit on which you needed to get there.

I remember two occasions having been to Scarborough in March and April on fine sunny days - riding home after dark coming into several inches of fresh snow over the moors.
Riding in fresh snow is easier than icy patches or rutted remains of earlier snowfall. It got a bit much on the final descent where 3ft drifts had formed and hitting them it kind of sploshed over my head.
Going up that hill would have been impossible but down was OK with a bit of momentum and fairly heavy bike with narrow tyres (XJ900)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not been out .
It’s not the cold that has stopped me, it’s all the wet muck on the roads around here at the moment.
Rain , leaves, grit, and the like make for an unpleasant ride.

Nah! Fugk it , the bike can stay in the garage for now.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can't leave some foot peg metal on the asphalt, I don't bother waking the bike for a fun run.
The odd shit weather commute has to be done however, particularly when the mrs gives you the choice of either taking the bike or going shopping after work.

Last edited by recman on 10:34 - 01 Dec 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

.....-2 isn't that cold.....

Errrr, opinions differ - but to each their own!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One 50 mile trip reduced my 400 to a rusty hulk this time last year. I have no desire to repeat the process.

MarkyB
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:55 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty chilly here in Somerset, nice day though, sun is out at the mo.

Thinking of getting bike out, but as people have said it's the roads that are dangerous, I guess like most places in the UK, we had a hard frost here last night, and i'm sure the gritters would of been out.

Wrap up warm, and all is good, with me it's my hands and feet that suffer! lol Very Happy

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
-2 isn't that cold

Rolling Eyes

Yes it is. And if you're on anything but main roads you're going to crash. Also, even if you're on gritted A roads, get up to 70 (i.e. keep up w/ traffic) and then you've got the wind chill that comes with it, and that's even colder.

Well, managed to not crash yet, again, whether on untreated or untreated roads & motorways, strange that my stepeson can commute everyday mon-fri all through the year, and, also surprisingly not crash !!!. -2 really is not that cold at all, it's not even cold enough yet to put the thermal lining back in the jacket, or even put the handlebar muffs on, whether that's on a 50 mile pootle, or, 60 mile each way trip on the motorway from 4:30 in the morning

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having to ride and doing it for fun are completely different. Friday was bloody cold and roads were greasy. The rest of the week was just bloody wet. Now the gritters have been out, the crap will be all over the bike. Acf50 all over it today, before I leave for work tomorrow. I wish there was something i could use to keep my visor clear though.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:20 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been commuting on and off into Bristol last month or so, tending to take car and park and ride more often than not last couple of weeks.

Lots of crap on roads and hitting the country roads in dark whilst raining not fun. The worst ones are cold mist, I find that really unpleasant, that point when the mirrors are fogging spontaneously, and everything else is fogging no matter what you do.

On a clear dry day would happily ride for fun, temperature doesn't really bother me (gear and genetics), poor visibility does.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Well, managed to not crash yet, again, whether on untreated or untreated roads & motorways, strange that my stepeson can commute everyday mon-fri all through the year, and, also surprisingly not crash !!!. -2 really is not that cold at all, it's not even cold enough yet to put the thermal lining back in the jacket, or even put the handlebar muffs on, whether that's on a 50 mile pootle, or, 60 mile each way trip on the motorway from 4:30 in the morning

Around these parts if the temperature drops to freezing or below, it freezes. The lanes have frost and ice on them. Crazy, I know.

Next thing is, you go around a corner, lose traction and crash. Doesn't matter if you're going fast or slow, your tyres slip and bam. Not sure why we're arguing about this. Seems like you're saying icy, frosty lanes aren't slippery but you can't be because that's patently not true.

MarkyB
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:43 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Trevor, I have decided not to venture out today, it's just not worth it for me.

You risk coming off your bike, and also damaging it, rather wait until it's slightly warmer in double figures.

But I understand everyone is different with there views Thumbs Up

Roll on the Spring.... Very Happy

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

Around these parts if the temperature drops to freezing or below, it freezes. The lanes have frost and ice on them. Crazy, I know.

Next thing is, you go around a corner, lose traction and crash. Doesn't matter if you're going fast or slow, your tyres slip and bam. Not sure why we're arguing about this. Seems like you're saying icy, frosty lanes aren't slippery but you can't be because that's patently not true.

Not arguing, just you implied at temps of -2 guaranteed to crash, which is clearly not the case, simply ride for the conditions

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was outon the viffer for about 2.5 hours of riding, with stops at mates, shops, coffee etc in between.. I didn't die. Was a bit parky on the fingers though.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
...I wish there was something i could use to keep my visor clear though.

Inside? Pinlock! If you have a helmet visor that supports in; well worth the money.

Outside? There's a kickstarter campaign you might be interested in. Apparently they train cats to sit on top of your helmet and their tail swishes back and forth to clear your visor.

I think ste has a picture...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3