BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Baby, it's cold outside.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from a short ride (50-mile round trip). Just a fun ride, fairly cautious but not tip-toeing. Not many riders out there. The roads are indeed greasy but the ones that had had a lot of car traffic were much better than the really interesting ones out in the country. Got one cool semi-powerslide off at a set of lights (unexpected slippery patch) but, other than that, nothing unusual. Didn't bother with the pressure washer when I got back - not going to be too precious about road salt for the time being. I would have done if it had been wet. Time to get myself a pair of muffs.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I think ste has a picture...

I think Ste has lots of pictures, but it's not somewhere I want to go Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 20:28 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not snowing yet, why stop riding?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:

Why stop when it snows?? Quite fun in the snow, slush on the other hand is just yak !!

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK we get it, people who can afford to run cars in winter are subhuman scvm.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 20:47 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
craigs23 wrote:

Why stop when it snows?? Quite fun in the snow, slush on the other hand is just yak !!

Can I blame my XT660's snatchy throttle?

Or just getting old and often losing feeling in my hands? Very Happy

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:53 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, bollocks to it. Bike is tucked up in the garage on trickle charge til probably May. Comfy, heated car that I can remotely start from my phone and have the heating warm up the car whilst Im still having my morning cuppa indoors.

Ive done my time as all year round biker when I couldnt afford to run both a car and bike, and it was absolutely shit. Nothing good whatsoever about driving rain and gale force wind and sub zero wind chill. No matter what gear you're wearing, the rain and wind find ways in eventually.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 20:59 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still riding through winter. This year I splurged on some heated gloves and some Pilot Road 5s instead of the last couple of winters where I was still running supercorsas and summer gloves. Starting to need these comforts.

Not sure if I can get knee down in this weather anymore though, and my wheelies are now slipping so I might cut out the silly stuff until it warms up again. Sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like riding naked in a blizzard Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:03 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Inside? Pinlock! If you have a helmet visor that supports in; well worth the money.

But don't be afraid to take the pinlock out at times and experiment. Some people just keep the things in by default. If you wear glasses especially it is just another layer of reflection that cuts down visibility at night time. A clear, clean visor without pinlock is what I have been using the last few weeks and been a revelation. Might not work if you are an asthmatic mouth breather though.

Pinlock left in during warmer weather is doing nothing but making things less clear. Wish I had realised that earlier. Found out when I started using a dark visor I was given as a freebie in the summer and couldn't be arsed to transfer the pinlock (kept the clear one with pinlock in bag incase I got stopped or caught out in the dark).

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:

Pinlock left in during warmer weather is doing nothing but making things less clear. Wish I had realised that earlier. Found out when I started using a dark visor I was given as a freebie in the summer and couldn't be arsed to transfer the pinlock (kept the clear one with pinlock in bag incase I got stopped or caught out in the dark).

https://live.staticflickr.com/786/40809709114_6d521b1604.jpg

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:41 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
chris_hu_cheng wrote:

https://live.staticflickr.com/786/40809709114_6d521b1604.jpg

Which bit is wrong genius? or are you just spouting fake news? Rolling Eyes

That’s not to say Pinlock is the superior solution in every way. The Pinlock insert is literally a second lens that goes between you and the outer shield. The extra layer can reduce light transmission and clarity, especially if there is dirt and dust trapped inside the airtight chamber. If you keep it clean and smudge-free, you’ll get a pretty clear view in daylight conditions. It’s in nighttime conditions where the Pinlock system pales against the anti-fog coating. The second lens tends to cause “seeing double” of lit objects such as taillights. It can be annoying, but it’s more a distraction rather than the full-on vision impairment of a fogged visor.

and if you wear glasses that is compounded, of course if you don't wear glasses and are a mouth breather it might be the best solution

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:
Forced wrote:

Which bit is wrong genius? or are you just spouting fake news? Rolling Eyes

That’s not to say Pinlock is the superior solution in every way. The Pinlock insert is literally a second lens that goes between you and the outer shield. The extra layer can reduce light transmission and clarity, especially if there is dirt and dust trapped inside the airtight chamber. If you keep it clean and smudge-free, you’ll get a pretty clear view in daylight conditions. It’s in nighttime conditions where the Pinlock system pales against the anti-fog coating. The second lens tends to cause “seeing double” of lit objects such as taillights. It can be annoying, but it’s more a distraction rather than the full-on vision impairment of a fogged visor.

and if you wear glasses that is compounded, of course if you don't wear glasses and are a mouth breather it might be the best solution

I wear glasses and breath like a normal person; never had any of the problems you're talking about with my pinlock, maybe look at your helmet ventilation system.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:16 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
[

I wear glasses and breath like a normal person; never had any of the problems you're talking about with my pinlock, maybe look at your helmet ventilation system.

Which is why I said experiment

However, you should be aware that using any lens inside the visor will cause a ghosting effect (a slightly offset double image) because of the light bouncing between the two surfaces.
This may be a slight hindrance, or it may be a deal-breaker for you. I would advise you to try it out in low lighting conditions, see if it causes any hindrance for you.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

Which came from pinlock themselves apparently, glasses can be for long sight, short sight, various forms of astigmatism a quick google finds lots of people do have issues with pinlock especially at night and at the moment both my morning and evening commute are in the dark. And regardless of which I still don't see why putting another layer in warmer weather when there is absolutely no fogging for anyone... is better?

But there again I could just be imagining I see a significantly better without it?

Edit: it is not fogging I have issue with, it is clarity, and this offset image thing seems to describe it perfectly, so not likely to be a ventilation issue.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:52 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

-2 as I left this morning. A bit precarious, but I still managed my 100 mile commute without too much bother. I don't have any particularly special winter clothing, I have a 100 quid Ixon Jacket with a quilted liner, I was wearing a T shirt, V neck jumper and a fleece underneath. On my lower half I have a pair of Triumph branded kevlar jeans with quilted armoured overtrousers that I bought for £20 from a german website. The reason I wear these is twofold. One they have armour, and I don't want to wear armour all day, and second they have zips up the sides of both legs, which means you can step in and out of them easily. So when I arrive at my desk, I remove them quickly without too much faff.

I have two necktubes, a Buff and a woolen Honda branded one, and I wear Armr winter gloves which aren't super warm, but with the heated grips it's bearable. I have cold fingers and toes but the rest of me is warm even without heated kit. With heated insoles and heated gloves I'd probably be all set, but to be honest the issue for me is not so much me feeling cold as it is handling a 250kg bike with an enormous top box and a full tank of fuel... But at least I can be fairly sure that 95% of my journey will be gritted.

I also have a Shoei GT-Air with a pinlock, and I don't have a problem with distorted vision. I do have a problem with salt getting on the visor, and my glasses steam up, but Hawaiian stick seems to keep that at bay a bit.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed a bit of a reflection issue with Pinlock with the bright and low winter sun but it's barely an annoyance. I could imagine it might be a problem with glasses.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They only salt the A and B-roads around here and after several nights of sub-zero temperatures these back lanes are treacherous until midday-ish. There was a Focus in the ditch 1/4 of a mile away on Saturday afternoon - some people have yet to recalibrate their vehicular brain cell. Btw the ditches are very deep all around - I didn't notice the car until I was almost alongside it.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:05 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today it was a balmy 3 degrees here in the Sarf East so I went for a spin. With base layers and Gerbing heated gloves it was most enjoyable - just an average sunny day in fact.

Perfect biking weather. Very Happy

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo it's almost always worth it if the roads are dry.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:

A friend of mine sent me this picture recently...

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/34c96382-0917-4b24-9104-ddabc612f6ac.jpg

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, the specific pinlock instructions which came with my Neotec helmet state:
Quote:
Daytime use only. Never use the PINLOCK lens at night. If the PINLOCK lens is used with a clear shield, its light transmission ratio will be approximately 80%. This value does not meet the light transmission standards in the US (VESC-8, 85%), Australia (AS1609, 80%, or Europe (ECE R22, 80%), so this accessory is for "daytime use only" in these jurisdictions.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
craigs23 wrote:

A friend of mine sent me this picture recently...

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/34c96382-0917-4b24-9104-ddabc612f6ac.jpg

Was he naked?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you just feel the need for winter on your face. In smallish doses, it's stimulating. Visor open, a blast of air and rain on your face can blow away a few cobwebs.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Sometimes you just feel the need for winter on your face. In smallish doses, it's stimulating.

Stick your head in the freezer for a few minutes?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:09 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was me touring Europe a few years back. I must have been fcuking stupid Laughing but it was actually quite nice on the main roads. I didn't know it snowed in Spain mind!

https://i.postimg.cc/bJq2VgMT/P1130013.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3