Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


125cc restriction

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 03 Feb 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:07 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: 125cc restriction Reply with quote

A bit of background , Iím not a total novice rider in that I have been riding a 50cc geared 2t bike for a year , which is illegal due to the bike being geared and doing 50mph , my question is regarding police knowledge of the law/ dyno testing, I have been pulled over thrice on my 50 and have never even been questioned (police never got out of the car) and I am getting a ktm 125 exc as soon as possible which produces around 32-36bhp to the rear wheel and so exceeds the 14.6 bhp limit . The police That I have encountered so far have all been nice guys and seem to know nothing of the specifics of the law so what would be my likelihood of getting pulled and questioned on specific output.

If stopped on a ktm (or questioned at college by the ďrolling dyno testsĒ that as far as I can gather are a myth started by colleges) how would the police dyno such a bike , being a 2 stroke with knobby tires and what would be my rights to refuse the test . Asking because when rs125 and mitos are talked about on forums such as this most responses say that itíll be fine so long as your bike is roadworthy and your not riding it like a cunt . However when the ktm exc/sx is asked this same question all responses seem to be that youíll be pulled once per mile and interrogated on output.

As a precursor to the responses I am aware that exceeding the power limit is illegal however it has been equated to me As a similar type of illegal to breaking the national speed limit and I know these arenít good road bikes.

Basically how likely would it be that I encounter a copper that knows enough about bikes (125cc in particular) to not only pull me and do the cursory insurance and roadworthiness tests but to know the ktm in particular exceeds the bhp limit and have the inclination to call me up for a dyno test. There are around 4 of these same bikes in my local area on l plates that obviously havenít been caught

Forgot to mention v5 for the exc models under output it says 5bhp due to factory restrictions to comply with homologation laws and emissions standards so I assume nothing will flag on a anpr system?

Sorry for the lengthy and age old question and thanks for the help
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:20 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not be so worried about being stopped and delayed by plod, for their suspicion that a KTM made too much power... their reputation for not breaking down, and having the bits on the shelf to fix them when they do, is n-o-t wonderful....

The KTM SX from memory, is also not just not A1 Learner-Legal, its also not even A2 restrict-able, because of the weight, being so low to meet the A2 power to weight limits you would have to restrict by more than 1/2 original manufacturers declared power... and there is your nigger in the wooodpile.

What the magazines say, what Wikipedea says , what you say means not a lot; a court of law would take the manufacturers claimed power of the machine, and the manufacturers claimed weight of the machine, THEN ask how you could have possibly 'restricted' that to the legislated A1-Learner-Legal or A2 restricted power and power to weight limits. And exceeding the A2 power to weight limit to even be restrictable.... you figure your chances of being able to blag that...

Odds you will get pulled in the first place are another thing, and very much depend on how much of a dick you are to get their attention, and where you live. Do plod in your local have a 'problem' with noisome oiks on dirt bikes?

If you do get pulled though.... it IS in the lap-off, because not so many traffic coppas are all that genned up on the minutea of the law they are supposed to uphold; they are police-men not lawyers.... BUT they wouldn't have to be too clue-less to look at the manufacturers brochure specs, realise that the SX isn't even restrictable to A2 licence limits.... and start asking PRETTY awkward questions, you probably wouldn't be able to answer, like 'So HOW did you restrict this then?'...

So bottom line is that this ISN'T a Learner-Bike you can slap L-Plates on and ride on CBT. You couldn't really ride it on an A2 after tests, post 19, it is a 21yr old + full unrestricted licence bike, like an R1 or a Hyabusa.....

You want to take your chances... go for it.... and odds of getting cough are pretty much your own.... you want to take them, your call. But is it worth having the bike seized and crushed 'cos you cant produce a valid insurance certificate for it, pluis the fines, plus the ban, loosing a licence you don't yet hold, that would likely see you legally and economically banned from the public highway on ANYTHING for the next decade? Remember, if you do the crime, you gotta be prepared to do the time... Are you? And is it worth it for the fun of a not very fast two-stroke 125, why be hung for a lamp as a sheep, if you are prepared to break the law why not just ride an R1 off the books, no licence, no insurance, 'cos THAT is effectively the risks you are proposing.... and you are upping the odds of detection, choosing to do it on something 'Bike-Larf' and probably bright tango-toned... how many fake-tan essex girls round your way? They are probably the only things that glow more!!!

A-N-D if you come a croppa, its as oir more likely in that paperwork trail, after an accident, when a dozy bint e-stops in-front of you and you pile into her boot, and claims you weren't watching where you were going, or similar, or the bike gets nicked, and attension other than from plod gets brought on the thing, that the matter of your licence entitlement, or lack-of, the validity of ensurance, and your claims of 'restricting' (an unrestrictable bike) get shoved under the spot-light.

Like I said, its all pretty much down to you. You KNOW this isn't legal, in any way shape or form, and that you cant even 'blag' it and pretend it is, so how much that small extra bit of oomph really worth to you and are you prepared to do the time, and loose the money, for it?
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2018
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:19 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does not equate similarly to breaking the speed limit: This means you're riding without insurance.
Imagine hitting a pedestrian and the sh*tfall that will come with it. If someone like yourself (uninsured) hit a member of my family the police would be the last thing you'd be worrying about.
____________________
CCM 404 DS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get pulled by a portable dyno (suited to peds and top speed limitations, not horsepower measurements), but you/it will be taken to a proper Dyno. It's rare, but it happens, there was a guy on this forum got dicked around for a long time despite (IIRC) being in the clear on his A2. That's assuming that a copper can't google "KTM SXC 125 power".

On any enduro/crosser type bike, you will get pulled by every copper going until they get to know that it, and you, are legit. Obviously, you're not. It's usually an easy tug (you're legit, prove it, go on your way), or you run, and they're suddenly not bored by dealing with pissheads all night, can stick on the blues and two's and rag it after you, so it'll happen.

An IN-10 will fuck up any chance of affordable insurance for, say, a decade. Not to mention the Driving Otherwise than in Accordance and the inevitable ban you get to declare for, I think, 5 years. Don't go thinking you won't crash - In fact it's hard to envisage a scenario more likely than a 17yr old jumping coming from a ped, and jumping on a light 125 enduro with a bit of oomph. I'd say it's almost inevitable.

I know because I've been there. I've had a few enduro's/motards on the road, and I'm buying another off someone on this forum now. You *will* get pulled. I'd say it was very likely you'll get Dyno'd and charged. It's obvious and an easy pull to any copper that knows anything about bikes. You're not being cheeky and rejetting after a pipe and pod filter, you're well over 2x the limit.
____________________
'96 VFR750 (Fun) - '98 GSX600F (Work Hack) - '14 RKS125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
An IN-10 will fuck up any chance of affordable insurance for, say, a decade. Not to mention the Driving Otherwise than in Accordance and the inevitable ban you get to declare for, I think, 5 years.


^^ This.

A fine or even a ban you can pretty much laugh off. But insurance is another matter. Most insurers probably won't even quote. Those that will quote will be astronomically expensive. You could tell them porkies, but they're not idiots, and lying to obtain insurance is an offence of fraud by mis-representation under the theft act. So think what car/bike would you like to have in five years from a conviction, the correct answer is none whatsoever.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:47 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, how are you going to insure it? Are you going to tell them what licence you have and what bike it is? There's a good chance the insurance phone monkeys will not know any different, but they might - plus if you are planning on fibbing to the insurers to get a policy then you can add insurance fraud to the rap sheet.

Any the illegality analogy you quote doesn't hold. I drove about 70 miles this morning. I probably exceeded a speed limit here and there, maybe a small % of the journey. For most of the journey I was perfectly compliant and legal and I can choose what speed to do where and when. With the KTM you are breaking the law every moment you are riding it. The entirety of every journey is illegal and you have no choice in the matter (other than not to get this bike in the first place).

To answer the question you posed - you may well get away with it. But then one day you may come across a traffic officer who knows their stuff. Or a VOSA inspector who really does know their stuff. That's when "it'll never happen to me" becomes "why is this happening to me?".
____________________
Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat KTM 990 SMT
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to ask the same. How you insuring it? The insurance will probably know it's not a compliant vehicle. Fallen at the first hurdle.

Instead of buying an illegal, fragile and peaky 125 for as lot of money, go do your test and ride what you want.

A £600 ebay special 5/600cc bike will wipe the floor with that 125... In third.
____________________
ďRule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.Ē
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Instead of buying an illegal, fragile and peaky 125 for as lot of money, go do your test and ride what you want.


From other thread, he's only just or only just about to be 17, so even if he did tests, they'd still only be for an A1-15bhp max, 125 only licence. He couldn't take tests for 45bhp, A2 or RWYL 'A' for at least another two years, even if he had the inclination. The system sucks... but it still the system.. suck it up! They have tightened up on the 'cheats' as far as unrestricted or de-restricted Learner bikes, the restrictions are now applied to the licence, not the machine, you got to be 100% sure what you ride is in accordance, and as far as plod are concerned, they have changed the laws about now so its guilty until proven innocent on a lot of things, like this.

Anyway, kid has on open forum... publicised his intent to break the law... smart move there Rolling Eyes And even smarter, is so cluieless he wants a nice dummies guide to breaking the law, writing for him! Laughing Criminal Genius FAIL ,me-thinks!!!!!
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:12 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, just get an R1 and ride it without L-plates. Just as illegal, probably cheaper and definately harder to catch.
____________________
ďRule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.Ē
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 11 Oct 2018
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:18 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice you've been given here is good.

To answer your question about the type of copper who will stop you, it's traffic police. There used to be kids hooning around on off-road bikes in a local park. They were apparently legally owned, but you can't do that in parks. The police did nothing about it for years as hardly anyone went there. Then some local busybodies/snobby types complained to the police commissioner, who must have told local cops to deal with it, as they came down heavy and stopped the problem almost overnight. That's all it takes. Someone important changing a local priority. It could happen. They could do a swoop on your college car park one day. Easy pickings. When cops act, they tend to not pick up on one thing but look for more reasons to back up their action. The details you gave the insurer will come under the spotlight. Is your exhaust compliant? They will look for more things to book you.

Don't assume traffic police are uninformed. They likely are, and crossers are on their radar in some areas because of the theft epidemic. I don't ride an off-road type of bike, I'm a grown-up, and even I have been followed by traffic police for miles while they presumably checked ANPR and my riding. On the other hand, normal cops seem to be a bit ignorant around my way, and probably won't know enough to bother pulling you over.

You seem to be a reasonable person and capable of understanding the risks. There are plenty of dumb kids about - don't be one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 03 Feb 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="weasley"]Out of interest, how are you going to insure it? Are you going to tell them what licence you have and what bike it is? There's a good chance the insurance phone monkeys will not know any different, but they might - plus if you are planning on fibbing to the insurers to get a policy then you can add insurance fraud to the rap sheet.

This is a excellent point that I have looked into , I can insure it on a number of policies that ask for my license and the rest of my details and I have been lead to believe from 125cc sportbikes forum regarding a similarly powerful rs125 fp that so long as you arenít asked for the power output itís on the insurance company (so long as the bikes not been modified). This is because the v5 says 5.8bhp which puts my mind at ease somewhat as I will never lie to ŌńṩŁŕšńċệ companies for the aforementioned fraud reasons.

Equally I have read on thumpertalk that it is impossible to dyno a bike with knobby tires on it and that no dyno shop will even attempt it . Equally it would seem that I have the right to refuse a roadside dyno however have been told that due to living just outside Portsmouth where police are already overstretched that its a near impossibility for police to do this even if they wanted too due to budgetary restrictions and that the only way to really get caught ion a bike like this is to wrap it around a brand new Porsche or hit a pedestrian. Finally as the ktm tops out at 70mph with stock gearing there wouldnít be a red flag for all but the boardest of police.

All of this being said , if ever one morning I were to see a large number of police cars in the college car park , Iíd turn around and take the day off, and if they appeared in the middle of the day my bike would miraculously have electrical problems and not start ( id pull a few wires out of the cdi block)

My mate has been riding a 125 4 stroke with a 250 swap for 6 months with no problems

As a final question, Is there any way to tell just by looking that a 125 exceeds the power limit or not provided no modification

Cheers for the very helpful replies
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:34 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
In that case, just get an R1 and ride it without L-plates. Just as illegal, probably cheaper and definately harder to catch.

I wonder if Peebles has forgiven/forgotten yet....
I was the local bobbies most wanted for a while. I used to take the Cota comper over to a girls house, 'cos, well you do that sort of thing when you are a hormone charged 15 year old.... I managed to con her old-man it was 'ownlee' a 50, holding my hand over the '2' on the side panel when he inspected the thing; he WAS suspicious about the size of the cylinder, though, but I blagged that telling him how it was a comper, built for walking pace trials, so it was all heat-sinking 'cos it would never get any air-flo... I don't think he was particularly convinced, but looked at the lack of pillion (and actually, rider!) provisions, decided if his daughter was daft enough to try getting on the back, she probably deserved all she got.... but he was a News-Agent not a special agent!
Anyhow, on one trip back, local beat bobby in his panda, was just in-front going into a set of S-Bends, and 'committed' I went for it and passed, on the entry, then dived up a side turn; up the hill, past the cow farm, and down, through their meadow gateway, and quickly laid the bike down behind the hedge.. wilst I listened to the siren, get louder, then stop, as they tried to decide which way I'd gone... then some more while it faded away.. then again when it came back! Until it faded again.... and I braved pushing the bike into the wood, and back home....
You know competition trials bikes are supposed to be quite light.. mine apparently weighs less than 75Kg.... they BLUDY ENT, I tell you, when you have to chuck one over a stock fence!
ANYWAY, that coppa spent the best part of half a year trying to catch me.. and instead caught Peebles, on his big brothers AR50, up by the railway station!!!
Spotted he'd bought himself some kind of Hardley on farce broke a couple of months back... but apparently after the fines and the ban... (do you think I should under-line that for our Oh-Pee?), it took him almost twenty years to get back on a bike on the road!!!!
Sorrry Peebles! REALLY, I am... maybe! Lol! Different times.
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 03 Feb 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:25 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So correct me if Iím wrong , but my takeaway from your replies and my other Sources (125cc sportbikes, thumpertalk , and a legal forum regarding power output on motorcycle insurance) is that because the insurer has offered coverage under my parameters I will not be committing any type of insurance fraud due to not being asked wether the bike is legal for my license, the exc 125 isnít faster top end than a Ďregularí 125cc bike so even if I was riding like an arsehole there would be no reason for suspicion surrounding power output. Insurance policies are abliged to pay third party anyway , and canít attempt to sue for the money back unless the excess power was proven to be the cause , and my chances of getting unlucky enough to be pulled over in the first place are no more than on my current bright orange 2t supermoto (that has been mistaken by the blissfully unaware for a ktm) and even if I was the police would be infinitely less likely to even think to question power output ?

If all of this is true , and given the number of full power mitoís and rs125ís about that are well known by the police , then I will certainly get one of these bikes . Also if push comes to shove their impossible to dyno accurately anyway due to the knobby tires so any points would never stick due to flimsy evidence and it being well documented that dynos go mental with knobbies (in some cases on thumper talk allegedly 20bhp down) thanks again 😀
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2strokebloke wrote:
My mate has been riding a 125 4 stroke with a 250 swap for 6 months with no problems


Hyosung no doubt. It's hardly a peaky 125 enduro bike that screams out for every copper in the world to tug it.

You're determined to do it. You won't find anyone here telling you it's a good idea or justifying it. Might as well do it properly and ride a decent bike though... ZX7R, GSXR750, Fireblade maybe? Sticking with Enduro? 500EXC. Or fuck it, go full chav, CR500 or KX500. The Penalty is exactly the same as riding the KTM, but they're *properly* fast bikes, not just what you think is fast.

And you'll find when you take out insurance you are asked what license you have, and how long you've had it, *and* it'll be printed as a condition on your insurance cert.
____________________
'96 VFR750 (Fun) - '98 GSX600F (Work Hack) - '14 RKS125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:48 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is OP seemingly set on buying a two stroke 125 as opposed to a four stroke 125? What is it that makes him think that a two stroke bike is better than a four stroke bike?

The KTM will be horrible to daily and a nasty, peaky, noisy and pretty unhappy and probably unreliable 125 on the road. It'll need plenty of warming up as there's no thermostat, and it's likely to foul plugs ridden around town too. The top speed is low for a 125, and the power delivery is quite terrible for a road bike. The 125 SX has a piston that's life'd at 15hrs for race use, and probably 60-80hrs for the crankshaft too.

Not a great road bike for distances, serious use, or A-B commuting. People at work will hate you if you turn up in the office after riding it to work, as you will stink!

Oh and what's the user name all about? Is it just a fun forum user name, or is this guy a die hard two stroke bike fanatic who won't ride anything else?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The insurance usually has a get-out stipulating you must have an appropriate licence to ride the bike you are insured for.

You can't refuse a dyno test or defer a vehicle inspection if the person doing the asking is a VOSA vehicle inspector and I'd expect the cops to have brought one along with them if they were doing a mob-handed raid on a location.

I've seen them do it on an A-road in Scotland where they set up a mobile police station in a layby and stopped EVERY bike that went past to check the exhaust and measure (yes, with a ruler) the number plates. The irony was that a section of the Scottish classic 6-days trial was happening just down the road with pre '65 trials bikes with nae lights and tip-exed on numberplates flying up and down.

I've also heard of VOSA taking a bike away and giving it back months later in bits because they dismantled it to check it wasn't a ringer.

I once got stopped by a copper riding my Dads Kawasaki S2 350 triple because back in the day, you could ride a 250 on L-plates and it wasn't uncommon for people to put 250 side panels on a 350 or 400. The only reason he stopped me was to have a look at the bike and prove to the younger copper that he could "spot a 350 from a mile away".

Oh, and knobblies on a dyno.

https://youtu.be/PiinhMMwJKE
____________________
ďRule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.Ē
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2strokebloke wrote:
As a final question, Is there any way to tell just by looking that a 125 exceeds the power limit or not provided no modification


YES, plod looks at your bike, sees it says KTM 125 EXS on the side, has absolutely no idea how much one of them 'should' make, so gets back in his car and googles it..... oh-dear.....

As said, the framing of the legislation puts the onus of proof to prove your innocence on you, not plod to prove your guilt.... and they and courts go by the manufacturers brochure claims... not what your actual example may or may not make on a dyno, with or without knoblies, with or without a diddled CDi and hidden switch.... MANUFACTURERS CLAIMS in the brochure.

Which they would get, as hintimated, most likely from a quick google search on their smart-phone... and oh-dear oh-dear,. what will come up in the first 20 hits for "KTM 125 SXC"... hmmm... yup THIS POST!!!! And PC Dibble there, has not only got your statement of intent to try being a smart arse, BUT full low down on how you hope to get away with it! GENIUS, pure criminal genius!

But hey, I'm just being condescending, cos you an L-Plater... never tried to kid any-one that a bike I shouldn't have been riding was anything but what it was, or chased by dibble through the cow-slurry, or cowered in a cow-brier waiting for plod to plod-off....

Like I say, you KNOW this aint legal, you KNOW you stand a better than even chance of being cough for it... but if you can do the time... fair play to do the crime... just don't come crying to us, or thumper-talk or any-one else you have found to support your delusions that like every criminal ever banged up... "But I should get away with it!!!!"You might.... B-U-T then again... you might not..... if not can you take the ban on licence you don't yet have, plus the crushing of your pride and joy, plus the fine, and the no real hope of any legal motor-vehicle for a decade, 2ith "Well its a fair cop" shrug?

Your call
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 03 Feb 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then , so if a ktm is off the table , and in answer to your question my username is a reflection of my love of the 2 stroke however I would certainly ride a 4 stroke 125 on the road.

Upon reading your valid responses I have realised that I havenít been clear as to why I am so hell bent on a ktm 125 exc or what my use will be , so the big question , why? The answer is pretty short , I have ridden my mates 125/250 swap thing , I have ridden another mates Lexmoto venom and yet another Sinnis cruisestar thing , along with a few other 4t 125s , despite outward appearances even the 250 was just boring to ride, theyíre too predictable, thereís no need to keep them on the pipe and they really just feel like a tool for getting from a to b and for that they are all far superior to any 2 stroke bike , however If I wanted a boring unemotive piece of machinery Iíd get a car. What draws me to the 2 stroke isnít the power , quite frankly for my use 14bhp is more than enough, and if there were any means of reatining the feel of the ktm and restricting it , Iíd do it in a heartbeat. What Iím saying is that I donít hate 4 strokes at all , I hate that no 125cc 4 stroke is as much of a bastard to ride as say my 50cc geared bike that wonít move if you donít stay right on the powerband and in my opinion that renders them boring if a very good commuter. Also for the sake of transparency for 3rd party fire and theft on a ktm would be £547 a year , on a cg125 itís £1253 and Iíd rather keep my far slower current interesting bike.

As for the second point about road use and rebuild times , it is very common in European continental countries for ktm 125 to be used on the road for 4500km per bottom end and 1500 per piston and rings , I do 4000 miles per year worst case , but some claim to have 8000km On a single set of bearings which means that the bike might go through 2 pistons + rings per year (a small price to pay). This is achieved with many trips averaging 3.2 miles and 4 trips per day , to college and work. So in short by my reasoning the bike wouldnít be under that excessive a load.

Now , Iím not one of those people who can only hear what they want to hear so please tell me if Iím a fucking moron , are there any learner legal 4t 125 that wonít have me bored Within the first 10 miles like the old klx 125 (I think) , my only stipulation is that I donít want anything fuel injected due to expense of repair if anything goes wrong I donít need a bourn commuter either , the less predictable the better and fuel economy isnít a concern the only other factor is insurance as Iíd have the old rs125 2t If the scanmming bastards didnít want £1300 a year third party only. Oh and not a wre 125 , they have about the worst electrical system on a bike from what I can gather

Oh and your not being condescending, I appreciate honest responses as I donít want to end up with a bike Iím afraid to ride for fear of getting pulled
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
Nearly there...



Joined: 24 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: 2t Reply with quote

If its 2t fun you why not a dt125, there's a few about.
____________________
Some bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 03 Feb 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:59 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the insurance on the dt is twice that of the ktm , equally my earlier point is not arguing semantics of the law , itís that a bike must not exceed 14.8bhp to be learner legal , however I think that if the v5 says 5.8bhp then thatís the manufacturerís claim (quite how ktm get away with that is beyond me) hence the ŌńṩŁŕšńċệ willingness to provide me coverage as on vin or number plate checks they show as being learner legal , I think if I carry a copy of the v5 with the 5.8bhp then no copper could have any reasonable cause to even test the bike unless blatantly modified and google searches aside , I donít think ANY copper would argue a v5 with the necessary ďI get this all the time mr officer , the v5 states 5.8bhp even though there closer to 13😏Ē and I have also found substantial evidence that these bikes are ridden on l plates routinely I have in fact found video evidence that the police anpr system shows these bikes as fine even though the blokes a prick https://youtu.be/MgoVyh4vrro

Basically Iím hell set on getting one of these bikes and understand that itís a risk as it exceeds the power limit , however due to ktm being canny and registering as 5.8bhp makes it far more difficult to spot to be honest unless I find a restricted bike that I like and can reasonably insure then Iíll probably get this bike any possible alternatives would be greatly appreciated
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:34 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2strokebloke wrote:
Basically Iím hell set on getting one of these bikes and understand that itís a risk as it exceeds the power limit


As I said, It's pointless us telling you anything. You know you're utterly fucked if you get caught. We're not joking. I reckon you'll never take your A2 because you're banned and un-insurable by that point. Having been banned, trust me, it's a royal, expensive, bollock-ache.

Just so you know, Keeping a 30+ BHP 2T on the pipe, on the road, without pissing off everyone and everything else on the road, ceases to be fun after a while. You're going to get *very* familiar with top end rebuilds, well, up until the bottom end goes. Then I suspect you'll flog it on as "Doesn't start, easy fix, but no time" to some poor mong who has less of a clue than you.
____________________
'96 VFR750 (Fun) - '98 GSX600F (Work Hack) - '14 RKS125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2018
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:47 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people will not listen to sound advice.
____________________
CCM 404 DS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 03 Feb 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply , and your all totally right that some people like me donít listen to sound advice , I started this to know what risk I was taking , and from my perspective itís not that big , they donít flag on anpr , donít go that fast even in comparison to a 4t learner leagal bike and I can insure them that paired with the fact that just about every other one on eBay has l plates on , and thereís proof that loads of people on l plates ride then with no problem whatsoever means that unless Iím being a total cunt on one , the odds of me being pulled , then questioned, then actually have the bike tested are incredibly small , as if they werenít there wouldnít be any de restricted rs125 or mitos on the road.

Now I appreciate you all having the benefit of much more expirence than me, and trying to scare me out of doing it to save me the trouble , however a number of people have pm me regarding this very question and told me the above. So I thank you all for your informative responses and for giving me perspective
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2strokebloke wrote:
...waffle...


Do us a favour, post on here, just for shits and giggles, with what happens if (when) you get pulled, bent over, and dry-fucked by the law.

Geniunely. It won't help you any at that point, but may scare some other 17yr old into realising it can and does, happen.
____________________
'96 VFR750 (Fun) - '98 GSX600F (Work Hack) - '14 RKS125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2strokebloke wrote:
So correct me if Iím wrong , but my takeaway from your replies and my other Sources (125cc sportbikes, thumpertalk , and a legal forum regarding power output on motorcycle insurance) is that because the insurer has offered coverage under my parameters I will not be committing any type of insurance fraud due to not being asked wether the bike is legal for my license

You've read through all the small print in the policy documents?

In the event of an insurance claim of any size then you can bet your insurer would spend some time looking for a reason to invalidate your policy.

Nobody is trying to scare you out of doing anything. all the information in this thread is factual and if you think it's scary then you should probably reconsider your plans.

If people have been PM'ing you with advice about how easily you'd get away with it then I wouldn't pay any attention to them simply because they haven't got the balls to post it in this thread which will either be because they're trying to get you caught by the police or because they know that their so called advice would be torn apart by more knowledgeable people.

It's your life and your license to risk as you see fit. People have given you accurate advice in this thread and if you choose to ignore it then that's up to you. Don't know why you'd bother posting this thread in the first place when you've already decided what you're going to do and aren't interested in the answers to your questions but that's your look out.

Good luck. I hope you don't end up regretting your choices.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: enterprise (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.23 Sec - Server Load: 1.21 - MySQL Queries: 17 - CDN Objects: 46 - Page Size: 162.7 Kb