Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Question about MCE insurance company.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mihail
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:24 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Question about MCE insurance company. Reply with quote

I have a question about the insurance policy. I'm going to buy my first motorcycle, 125cc since I am training to pass the full A. I decided to see how much insurance will cost me and found that one insurance company offers insurance two to three times cheaper than the others - it is MCE.

I looked at reviews of this company on the Internet - MCE has more bad reviews than other companies. It all seemed suspicious to me.

Could you please tell me. I am new here, have never bought insurance in the UK and I don’t know all the subtleties. Maybe I should avoid this insurance company? Is it realistic to get insurance payment from them In the event that something happens?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:48 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCE will always come out the cheapest and I insured a few bikes with them, no problems.

However, I had no reason to make any claims so it fulfilled it's purpose for me.

I am no longer with them but I would use them again with the expectation that any claim would be a nightmare.

You pays yer money...or you don't. Up to you.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 05 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Question about MCE insurance company. Reply with quote

Mihail wrote:
I looked at reviews of this company on the Internet - MCE has more bad reviews than other companies. It all seemed suspicious to me.

The only thing I have to say against MCE is that it can take a few minutes to get through their phone menu system and then get to talk to them, and the menu system is slightly confusing.

Otherwise, it depends on what you want and can afford and want to pay.

Is your bike is worth insuring "comprehensive", bearing in mind the insurance excess, insurance cost, value of machine AND effect on future premium from a claim?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:09 - 05 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCE spammed BCF with their Big Ed crap a few years ago which is unforgivable. Razz

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 05 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used them because they were the cheapest. I've used other because at that time they were cheaper.

I work on the principle that whoever you are with is going to be a pain in the arse when and if you come to claim so I go with the cheapest.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 05 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their compulsory excess might be higher too, meaning on a cheap 125cc you're effectively 3rd party.

3rd party only was cheap many moons ago, then the cartel upped it so much it was often cheaper to go fully comp.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:34 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bounce between MCE and Carol Nash depending on who the cheapest.

much the same if you ask me.

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used MCE for a 125 and my sons moped last year.
I completed everything online. Quote was very good and process simple.
It may be more complex if you have to make a claim.
Where are you seeing these bad reviews?

Mihail
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:13 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHattrick wrote:
I used MCE for a 125 and my sons moped last year.
I completed everything online. Quote was very good and process simple.
It may be more complex if you have to make a claim.
Where are you seeing these bad reviews?

The bad reviews I saw here: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.mceinsurance.com
Companies that offer a higher price for insurance practically have no bad reviews.

I don’t care much about the problems with the claim on my future 125cc motorcycle, as it will be cheap. But in the future, when I get full A, I plan to buy a new Honda Integra (something around £ 9,000). For me, this is a large amount, but for the dream of life, it is affordable.
MCE asks for comprehensive insurance on Integra £ 900 (for a one year A experience and a one year without claim). However, in other companies, for example, BikeSure, it costs £ 2800 which is too expensive for me.
 Therefore, doubts torment me, is it a good idea to buy insurance for an expensive, new motorcycle that can be stolen (I live in London) from the MCE? Because 2800£ a year is too much for me and I just have to say goodbye to my dream bike and buy a cheaper motorcycle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a valuable bike in London, bike theft capital of the UK, *is* going to be expensive, no matter what.

There's zero point getting a policy that won't pay out, either because you didn't read it properly, didn't comply with the terms (security, location overnight etc), or they just drag it out. You might as well buy hookers and blow with the £900, you'll actually get something out of it. If the policy is 3 times cheaper, then I'll wager there's something in there you haven't read or understood.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first RSV4 was insured by MCE when it was written off.

They paid out.

As insurance goes, that's pretty much all you can ask for!

Would I use them again? If they happen to be the cheapest, yes.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mihail wrote:

A lot of the problems could be because people don't understand how insurance works or how to talk to insurance companies. If you don't know how things work or how to ask for stuff it's easy to achieve a substandard result.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a rat bike then you just get the cheapest you can but something new is probably worth considering at least one step above the bottom rung.

Have you considered holding off on getting a nice new shiny bike for a year? NCB might make some difference.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any insurance for anything, house, car, bike etc. you have the same problem

People mostly only post bad situations. Yes, MCE get a good few moans but how many claims are processed with no issues? Probably more than the expensive companys because a lot more people go with MCE for the cost.

Please note, I have to connection with MCE or any other insurance company and generally regard them all as robbing cvnts. Thumbs Up

hume
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:29 - 15 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've insured my bike with MCE as they were by far the cheapest. Every other insurance company wanted £2800+, but MCE's price was £856. Although the catch is the excess, which is £2000.

I was wondering how many years before the insurance drops to under £500 a year? Can this be achieved on L plates and if not how many years on a full license?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:42 - 15 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hume wrote:
I've insured my bike with MCE as they were by far the cheapest. Every other insurance company wanted £2800+, but MCE's price was £856. Although the catch is the excess, which is £2000.

I was wondering how many years before the insurance drops to under £500 a year? Can this be achieved on L plates and if not how many years on a full license?

Jesus. I'd rather get the train...

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 15 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hume wrote:

Use their website to find out.

hume
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:57 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Jesus. I'd rather get the train...

Would you?

The commute to work by train is roughly £2400 a year. Factor in train delays, strikes and over crowding on the service at peak times. Nevermind any additional trips (other than work) I might have to make.

hume
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:00 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Your advice on this thread has been less than stellar.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hume wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Your advice on this thread has been less than stellar.

You now have the opportunity to explain your post.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

900 with 2000 excess?! WTF do you ride and where do you live?

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hume wrote:

Age is a big factor in the way premiums are calculated. The best way to lower a premium, is to get old. 31-70 is apparently the group to be in.

If you're already in your 30's and still riding around on L plates, you need to have a long hard look at your life choices.

Mihail
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:56 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hume wrote:

This is a good question. It would be nice to find out if someone pays 500£ or less for a decent bike.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:56 - 18 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never paid more than 170 quid fully comp on mine. It was 6 years old and cost 5 grand when I got it.

Mind you I'm mid 40s ( Shifty ) passed my test in the very early 90s and live in Wiltshire.

When I reached 9 points my insurance actually went down...

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 18 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay less than £500 for two bikes, both garaged and I'm over 40.
No points, license held since 2003.
It's not a crime hotspot but it is Greater Manchester area.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2