Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Intermittent Spark problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:24 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Intermittent Spark problem Reply with quote

Hey guys

I was wondering if anyone knows what could cause an intermittent spark like this.

Battery fully charged
Tried different plugs
Plug gaps correct
Points gaps correct
Timing corrrect

Points, condenser, plugs, battery, ignition coils, Ht lead & plug caps replaced recently.

Any help greatly appreciated
Cheers

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've covered most things. Check all earth points for corrosion and loose connections. Also the stator and associated wiring for damage.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike?
y u no tell us

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Spark problem Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knows what could cause an intermittent spark like this.

Some years ago had a similar-looking problem when the surface of the inside of the distributor cap had broken down, and sometimes the HT was tracking across it to earth. There was a "lightning mark" on the inside of the cap showing where the spark was sometimes going.

Dunno what your bike is or whether it might be a similar problem, but the symptom is similar.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:30 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an older kwak?

Have a giggle at this and then check your side stand switch...

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:24 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the help guys. Completely forgot I posted on here. It was the aftermarket ignition coils. As soon as I switched back to the originals the spark was consistent and noticibly stronger.

Very Happy

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:29 - 10 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had it but no.

I’m not sure if i’m missing something blindingly obvious but when I test the plugs, if I have them near the engine but not touching I can see a decent spark whereas if I have them directly touching the engine the spark is either really small or not at all. I’ve tried a few different plugs and this is happening on both sides.

Any ideas ?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 10 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? To get a spark you need to complete a circuit. If you're not touching the plug to the engine (or any bare metal on the frame, hence "frame ground") then what is the other half of the plug connected to?!

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 10 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a start you no answer questions.
Did you check all earths as in points to engine and engine to frame if needed?
What about the plug caps?

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:28 - 10 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

Yea I checked them when I switched the coils. They were all fine.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:35 - 10 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Eh? To get a spark you need to complete a circuit. If you're not touching the plug to the engine (or any bare metal on the frame, hence "frame ground") then what is the other half of the plug connected to?!

I’ll get a video clip tomorrow. The plug is just resting next to the engine, little sparks will jump across the gap to the engine and across the plug gap but of the plug touches the engine there won’t be any sparks at the plug gap at all.

I dunno if I’m explaining this well.
Do you get what I mean ?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 11 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, have you tried new sparking-plugs, or ones out of an old box of used ones?

Last edited by Riejufixing on 00:16 - 11 Jan 2020; edited 1 time in total

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 11 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:

Yea I checked them when I switched the coils. They were all fine.

You still no answer questions
(What bike?y u no tell us).

What is your problem ?

How did you check the plug caps?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 11 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
I thought I had it but no.

I’m not sure if i’m missing something blindingly obvious but when I test the plugs, if I have them near the engine but not touching I can see a decent spark whereas if I have them directly touching the engine the spark is either really small or not at all. I’ve tried a few different plugs and this is happening on both sides.

Any ideas ?

Yup, it's definitely a Kwak.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:13 - 11 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and check the earthing between the frame and engine, and while you are doing that remake the existing earthing points

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:02 - 11 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possibly tracking somewhere, from plug cap to chassis, or from the coil end, best spotted in the dark. Usually spraying WD40 on or around the suspected areas, will stop it temporarily... and prove the diagnosis (or not). meticulously cleansing, or renewal of parts will cure it.

UPDATE:
The system 'tracks' because the spark takes the path of least resistance, if you're using resistive HT cable and suppression caps, it doesn't take much dirt to create a lower resistive path, and if it intermittently sparks outside the cylinder, it usually fails altogether inside the cylinder.
It's easy to prove & easy to fix.

Last edited by GettinBetter on 19:39 - 11 Jan 2020; edited 1 time in total

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:53 - 11 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliminate variables.
Who knows is that spark is intermittemt, or that the plug is just bouncing off the rocker cover when the engine cranked....
CAR JUMP LEAD!!! clamp the plug in croc-clip one end you know you got a good electrical contact. Other end croc-clip to a known Good earth.. preferably not a bit of frame or engine that's pained or laquered.
Then try again, and is the spark more consistent? And DO you actualkly have an intermittent spark?
If points system... yeah.. ergh! But the condensor was/is always my most likely usual suspect... and fact you say that its already been changed dont so a lot for my confidence... what was it changed with, and even a band new item, I would have doubts over how long it had been sat, drying out, on a shelf for.. especially for a more obscure model of old classic.
Old 'trick' was to get a new condenser from the mororfactors, and something common and hopefuly cheap, that comes out of a box that gets refreshed pretty often, the common as muck item for a Mini/Morris/Lucas distributor used to score well here; THEN isolate the OE connenser in the mag, and couple the car condenser between the coil input and a known good earth. Makes the same circuit, and does the same job, soking volts when points open, but car typr condenser usually has a little extra capacity, and not stuck against the crank case isn't having its electrolyte boiled dry or di-electric tissue cooked by engine heat. Plus better odds that new car type condener is closer to 'fresh' and not been sat on a store room shelf for forty years.
Whilst in there, I'd check the state of the points, and again, they maybe shop new, but how fresh are they? Contacts could be rusty as feck by now, or have been 'protected' with grease/oil thats now a nice layer of soot or crud. So clean and gap critically, and re-check timing.
Beyond that... first question is DO you actually have a miscellaneous spark?Second Is everything you think you have checked/eliminated really checked/eliminated... SO, what is the 'real' problem? Wont the engine start? Hold idle revs? Take load? What? And IS the ignition system a likely suspect in that?
Its an old engine, has it been rebuilt? Has it burned off assembly oil? Are the valve clearances correct? Does it have good compression etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:08 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the help guys

Where I’m at with it now. Whilst checking spark the electric starter stopped working, it was spinning but not turning the engine. I figured I’d look into it after I sorted the spark problem and used the kick instead.
It looked to have a consistent spark. I started it, it ran for a few seconds then stopped and I went to kick it again and it would budge. The key that holds the rotor onto the crankshaft had sheared again. This time it ruined the seat in the rotor.

Basically what I’m asking is.
What could be causing these keys to shear

2nd thing - what is the spec resistance for a xs500 plug cap. I can’t find it in the manual or online, I tried measuring the original one but I couldn’t get a reading so I took it apart and it was missing it’s diode, the spring was just bouncing around in it. I’m surprised it works at all. The replacement caps are 5k ohms.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does """" I went to kick it again and it would budge. """" mean?
Also """"""The key that holds the rotor onto the crankshaft had sheared again. This time it ruined the seat in the rotor.""""""" any pics.

Rotor? Are you talking the sprung loaded points cam drive?

Also fit a non resistor / suppressor plug cap.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
Cheers for the help guys

Where I’m at with it now. Whilst checking spark the electric starter stopped working, it was spinning but not turning the engine. I figured I’d look into it after I sorted the spark problem and used the kick instead.
It looked to have a consistent spark. I started it, it ran for a few seconds then stopped and I went to kick it again and it would budge. The key that holds the rotor onto the crankshaft had sheared again. This time it ruined the seat in the rotor.

Basically what I’m asking is.
What could be causing these keys to shear

2nd thing - what is the spec resistance for a xs500 plug cap. I can’t find it in the manual or online, I tried measuring the original one but I couldn’t get a reading so I took it apart and it was missing it’s diode, the spring was just bouncing around in it. I’m surprised it works at all. The replacement caps are 5k ohms.

Two keys sheared, I've been tinkering with bikes since the early '80's and don't personally know anyone that has had one go, let alone two? There are only two things, besides owner muppetry (ie tightening up the nut), that could do that.
1) Nasty Chinese knockoffs that are made mostly of butter.
2) (and the most probable) is that the crank has been bent and the rotor is binding on the stator creating friction, but this would wreck the stator at the point the two touched.
Are you sure the nut (the one on the end of the crank holding the rotor on) was done up tight enough?

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:36 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Two keys sheared, I've been tinkering with bikes since the early '80's and don't personally know anyone that has had one go, let alone two? There are only two things, besides owner muppetry (ie tightening up the nut), that could do that.
1) Nasty Chinese knockoffs that are made mostly of butter.
2) (and the most probable) is that the crank has been bent and the rotor is binding on the stator creating friction, but this would wreck the stator at the point the two touched.
Are you sure the nut (the one on the end of the crank holding the rotor on) was done up tight enough?

I’m certain that the bolt holding on the rotor was tight. (Both times).
Here’s an image of the rotor seat

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 02:52 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Montesa motors, especially the Cota trials versions with a heavier mag-rotor for slow-running were notorious for sheared keys; I've lost about half a dozen over the years. When 'new' it was usually caused by the rotor not being so carefuly fitted. When old/Resto'd, it was a similar looseness, usually caused by a little surface rust on the rotor and or crank taper, and or looser worn rotor nut.

On resto, the advice was to use a little valve lapping past on the crank-shaft, and spend indeterminate hours working the rotor back and forth on the crank taper to a) get the surfaces properly clean of any surface rust and or crud' b) clean thoroughly with thinners (esp after lapping with valve past) c) To critically fit the rotor onto the crank, which meant using a copper mallet to actually get the rotor to interference fit to the crank taper, rather than merely relying on the pressure made by the, probably worn, rotor nut.

If that's any ideas for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:28 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this for a larf, you tell us what machine we're guessing about here and somebody familiar with that model might have some ideas.

If it's a trials then I haven't the foggiest - I know it's definitely not an old Thumper as they didn't have a leccy start and it can't be a mkIII Commando with the nasty Polish starter that never worked.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:34 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
The Montesa motors, especially the Cota trials versions with a heavier mag-rotor for slow-running were notorious for sheared keys; I've lost about half a dozen over the years. When 'new' it was usually caused by the rotor not being so carefuly fitted. When old/Resto'd, it was a similar looseness, usually caused by a little surface rust on the rotor and or crank taper, and or looser worn rotor nut.

On resto, the advice was to use a little valve lapping past on the crank-shaft, and spend indeterminate hours working the rotor back and forth on the crank taper to a) get the surfaces properly clean of any surface rust and or crud' b) clean thoroughly with thinners (esp after lapping with valve past) c) To critically fit the rotor onto the crank, which meant using a copper mallet to actually get the rotor to interference fit to the crank taper, rather than merely relying on the pressure made by the, probably worn, rotor nut.

If that's any ideas for you.

Cheers, I’ve been looking at it and I can see the problem.
The inside of the rotor is rubbing against the field coil as you’ll probably be able to see in the image of the rotor. Any ideas what’s causing it ?

(I can’t upload the image of the field coil because the file is too large but that also has scratches like the ones on the rotor)

Last edited by Jay2903 on 05:47 - 23 Jan 2020; edited 1 time in total

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:43 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
How's this for a larf, you tell us what machine we're guessing about here and somebody familiar with that model might have some ideas.

If it's a trials then I haven't the foggiest - I know it's definitely not an old Thumper as they didn't have a leccy start and it can't be a mkIII Commando with the nasty Polish starter that never worked.

I think I mentioned earlier, it’s an xs500
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2