Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Building Springers Yokes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Vambo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:49 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Building Springers Yokes Reply with quote

My apologies if this has already been covered.

Im looking to build a set of springers for my chopper trike project. I am a competent engineer, have access to a lathe and a not very good warco milling machine. my question is, how would you guys get a decent precision cut on the holes in the yokes for the forks to pass through (1 1/2")? can make the yokes from ally or mild steel.

many thanks

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:54 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Building Springers Yokes Reply with quote

Vambo wrote:
My apologies if this has already been covered.

Im looking to build a set of springers for my chopper trike project. I am a competent engineer, have access to a lathe and a not very good warco milling machine. my question is, how would you guys get a decent precision cut on the holes in the yokes for the forks to pass through (1 1/2")? can make the yokes from ally or mild steel.

many thanks

I'd look at it for a while and then wonder why I was trying to put Springer forks on my bike in place of the perfectly serviceable telescopic ones provided by the bike's manufacturer.....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:56 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Building Springers Yokes Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
forks on my bike

Are you a Harley riding homosexual?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:01 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Building Springers Yokes Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
forks on my bike

Are you a Harley riding homosexual?

I'm not falling for that again.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:32 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd find someone who DOES have a good milling machine and get them to do it.

You can prep and mark the piece to save time and expense.

It's that or potentially screw it up if you don't trust your mill.

I'd think a trike would be much better with an Earles or leading-link system for lateral ridgidity.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Building Springers Yokes Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I'd look at it for a while and then wonder why I was trying to put Springer forks on my bike in place of the perfectly serviceable telescopic ones provided by the bike's manufacturer.....

And that's why we love you, Nobby, you're such a romantic soul Smile

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:15 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a forum for machinists. Although this section is titled "The workshop" Many of the people on here struggle with technical challeges like ' no brake light' or 'bike won't start'. I suspect that the number of non-sarcastic replies will be rather limited. Finding someone who does have a proper milling machine does sound like an excellent place to start. Having a proper drawing would be another good suggestion . Oh, and get a quote first, Solicitors seem very cheap compared with CNC machinists, in my experience. Have you seen this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Wide-Build-Your-Own-DIY-Springer-Front-Forks-Kit/143102590066?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2151943c72:g:vyIAAOSwQfRcSdU8&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qUV0kQW7PvYl8cnqNNEmZZywO4X%2B78LSY1pqnqUBSCXZo2sX%2FOlayc9SNZWoa2n%2BU9Y%2F0MfmJ1J623ZnEWzr8M7bGd28GDvy8%2F0BMv6o3HErL%2BAiNDCjhNfUXZXvRJJRJawCIsLDrUTmaucnw3TuiRhgJ13LC4Ej7k6Hc7FYqw%2FX%2BSmYeDEzayJ2b%2B0zCQO29mXREmaWNOXvKYXJktv4KhIY0LxoGdcQqwqHbEvVm8pi0YgOKJMsd0wO7n5Ad8BVAbqs4LgkbgsV6qaAEMq26vwpvyw6LcYpMZQztfz8TyeRp2WHgyHuW6q1IK%2F%2FjA1aUTwZDcX9VSL%2BzWDAStWPGLVjLS6ogFiPCPvsHEaME4fsvZU3rIbVu5sjZiyISX7du%2F7xu3sFSYTuQKeOMEi5sFvV49u9CCmJfHfuxBCGy458EUjL9mXYEfG3su2amtsRZkeGhduDEif2jJseUeDHL2zbjJVMFWTK7%2F3n7DkOaUE8%2FBkCaWQ97kOSLstntRg%2B62skT6JIIzc6UrK9rN5x9PFt%2FMfU4qJMmNUhe33XTR%2FR4viHUoS9Dlfm4WhQb%2FlwAky5IKSUGp5c6zcc8GNtXZ6dQX55RK7MHkloGERBDrG9YpEWL6kqX9tvuBZCpMAgRVVHxj9GcqLt9cPLvMf5Vl1Sf%2BzHvLggqdYXlykq828KnIfBMfmqVppcDy6pFL%2F4XdnIBf7GIWAHI8Gpax4MYF8ewYVrF6LfjkbX10b%2F0KFjg%3D%3D&checksum=1431025900662064211e194d4bd7b53420e8f4cb1f65
Getting the rockers right is the worst part, the yokes are fairly straight forwards.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:08 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell.

if you are building from scratch. Go hub-centre.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 07:19 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Building Springers Yokes Reply with quote

The term 'Springer' fork, is significantly a Harley/Cruiser vogue..... b-u-t..... The 'springer' type fork is actually just a 'sprung' girder fork, and whilst they are more popularly associated with cruisers and customs, because of they were the more usual and effective form of fork in the 1930's thru '50's that were on the bikes that were chopped in that early 'Chopper' era of the cruisers and customs, and the 'Springer' name was, I believe, actually a Harley Davidson 'Trade-Mark', b-u-t it isn't something exclusive either to Harleys, cruisers or customs. NOR is it actually such a Luddite bit of antique engineering, curiously,.

Through the 1960's the telescopic fork became the usual, mainly because its actually quite cheap to make. The main gripe against them is a thing called 'Sticksion', where the lower leg, sliding on the upper 'sticks' rather than slides, more so if the forks under any sort of bending load, resulting in a very high initial resistance to travel, but you can get a lot of axle-travel from them, and with all axle travel in a straight line, co-incident with the fork-leg telescoping, they 'can' maintain steering geometry pretty well.

On side-cars the 'Earles' type fork, with leading arm swing-arm on the fork, was., and I believe still is, popular for avoiding sticksion and offering much better high-load geometry control, problems which lead companies like Honda to try tackling in GP racing with very high tech, mandrel wound carbon-fibre fork tubes, and high tech chrome and titanium plating, and low friction 'teflon' fork bushes.

Probably most noteable, though, is the 90's 'Britten' racer; the ultimate shed-build; Kiwi John Britain built his incredibly high tech Fibre-Flyer, for antipodean 'BEARS' British, European, & American Racing (But shunning all nationalities!) wanted 'his' bike to be totally home-brewed with no foreign assemblies, so to make a front fork/suspension system, not using anything from Japan, and significantly in Carbon Fibre, he actually went on record, as saying that the design he eventually settled on was a modern take on the 'Girder' or 'Springer' Fork...

It's NOT necessarily, a 'Hill-Billy' set up, or low-tech... though it most usually is!

What was the question again?

Vambo wrote:
Im looking to build a set of springers for my chopper trike project. I am a competent engineer, have access to a lathe and a not very good warco milling machine. my question is, how would you guys get a decent precision cut on the holes in the yokes for the forks to pass through (1 1/2")? can make the yokes from ally or mild steel

Oh yeah... well... I'm a little perplexed why you would want such an accurate hole for a fork-tube in a yoke TBH, or even why you would want a tube to go through a plate...

Yokes for tele-fork stansions tend not to have an enormously accurate hole for the upper leg tube, they have a clamp, a hole with a split in it and a pinch bolt.. but you aren't making a yoke to take a tele, you are making a yoke to take a girder... where I cant really picture the assembly you are trying to create. On most Girder type foforks, the 'forks' are a rigid girder, hinged on short arms off the yoke, pivoting axially with the wheel axle.. so why you need a yoke that has bloomin great holes in it to take a tube? I is perplexed....

Setting that asside; the yokes on most bikes tend only to be about 6" wide; is I was attempting to make one, or two, in a more usual machine shop, my first reaction would be to accurately mark my work-piece, and pilot three holes for the steering stem and two stanchion clamps, probably on a pillar drill. I would then open those out to required tube or thread diameter, probably in a 4-Jaw chuck or face-plate on the lath...

I am at a bit of a loss as to why/how you envisage making holes through a plate with a milling-machine, TBH, the work-piece would have to be spaced off the bed, or you'd be cutting holes in the machine!!!! Wile the supports to space it would likely dodo any 'accuracy' you may get!!!

So Lathe, 4-Jaw or face plate, to make a conventional 'pinch-clamp' yoke as used with tele-forks... but that not a girder or springer set up!

For that I would envisage making a pair of yokes, to take the steering tube, with side plates at 90Deg, to which the radius arms the girder pivoted on swung...

I GUESS what you are looking to make, is a leading link front fork, with a pair of rigid tubes, like a push-bike fork, running from the yoke, to which a leading link attaches and pivots at the bottom, like where the axle would bolt into a push bike fork, but with a pair of links hinging from the bottom of the fork-tube, with another girder hinging off them to transmit the suspension force up to a spring mounted top-side at the yokes.... Erghumph!!! Yeah.....

You say that this is for a trike? Oh-Kay... it's not the most elegant arrangement one could conceive... but I guess that;s not the point... it's a chopper 'thing'..... B-U-T how much nose weight will the all-up trike be putting on this steered suspension assembly?

Its not exactly the strongest arrangement conceivable, or one that gives an awful lot of travel, or geometry control...

For simplicity and elegence, I would probably go with a more conventional 'Girder' to get rigidity in all axes to support the wheel-axle, then pivot the girder on a pair of wish-bones or three dog-bone links... and I would probably not be messing with either lath of mill, I would take a 'standard' yoke assembly off a motor-bike; loose the tele-tubes, and be trying to weld lumps of angle iron onto the yokes to take my links.....

1&1/2" holes? That's what. 36mm in new money.. that's a pretty big fork tube even for a tele-set up! But, within normal bounds for larger bikes. If this is mainly an aesthetic 'thing' that aught be string enough to take the side and bending loads, and you should be able to clamp that size tube in a lot of pretty standard yokes, with little modification or adaptation... so why make one? Just find a yoke with that size hole already in it, or sleeve the tube to the size of clamp you can get. Skinning cats and all that.

But still a little at a loss as to what you are trying to make, and if you are a competent engineer... why is this even a question?!?! 'really'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:21 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point of order, the Britten has a Hossack fork. Like a BMW.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1