Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommend a bag to carry laptop and locks.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Recommend a bag to carry laptop and locks. Reply with quote

Can you please recommend a bag which can carry the following.

15 inch Laptop
Ongaurd beast chain lock
A pair of rain over trousers and dry clothes
Extra pair of gloves
Helmet (When I am off the bike)

Ideally looking for something I don't have to carry on my back while riding and is easy to attach and detach. I bought the following one. It is very awkward to put stuff in and tying to seat using bungies, or to get something out of the bag.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074J99Y8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

top box.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MOTORCYCLE-EXTRA-LARGE-TOP-BOX-52L-UNIVERSAL-FITTING-LUGGAGE-BOX/251825386497?hash=item3aa1f67401:g:UVQAAOSwj0RbEWhZ

Obviously you'll need something to mount it on

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
top box.

Sorry I should have posted this on my original post. Top box isn't an option as this will make the bike too long to fit in the limited space in my shed. Looking for something I can attach and detach when needed.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike is it for? A zip on tailpack. Or, a top box like a givi monokey/monolock that comes off at the push of button.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
top box.
looking for something I can attach and detach when needed.

Top boxes are generally removable, unless you're scraping the bottom of the barrel with price.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also depends on the bike. I've replaced the pillion seat with a top box on my Rebel so the bike's no longer. No one's daft enough to ride on the back with me so no loss Smile

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
What bike is it for? A zip on tailpack. Or, a top box like a givi monokey/monolock that comes off at the push of button.

I have a Kawasaki ER-6N. Givi stuff is quite expensive. Not liking to spend that kind of money. Can you please post a link for zip on tailpack which can be easily attached and detached?

My shed is just enough to fit the bike. Both in terms of height and length.

https://i.ibb.co/fnSv24H/20191207-132018.jpg

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:53 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
top box.
Sorry I should have posted this on my original post. Top box isn't an option as this will make the bike too long to fit in the limited space in my shed. Looking for something I can attach and detach when needed.

Oh-Kay, so a 'detachable' top box. When its 'on' its on ans could take perhaps 45-55 litres of 'stuff'. When it's 'off' you have a bike, that depending on how you mount the top-box 'plate' need be no longer than standard, but typical overhang of the plate/rack is maybe 1" behind the rear reflector on the mudguard.

MY worry, having used hard-luggage for many years, would be stopping possibly a couple of kilos or more of steel chain and padlock, shifting around, upsetting the balance of the bike whilst you are trying to ride it, and smashing the lap-top-screen... but this is a matter of loading and betting creative with your spare jumper/lap-top carry case, and probably a pop bottle or two, NOT what's on offer on e-bay!

Sorry, this is the old fashioned art of 'improvisation'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:01 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Ok Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. for you tldr, no chain and laptop together!

https://www.ventura-bike.co.uk

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Oh-Kay, so a 'detachable' top box. When its 'on' its on ans could take perhaps 45-55 litres of 'stuff'. When it's 'off' you have a bike, that depending on how you mount the top-box 'plate' need be no longer than standard, but typical overhang of the plate/rack is maybe 1" behind the rear reflector on the mudguard.

MY worry, having used hard-luggage for many years, would be stopping possibly a couple of kilos or more of steel chain and padlock, shifting around, upsetting the balance of the bike whilst you are trying to ride it, and smashing the lap-top-screen... but this is a matter of loading and betting creative with your spare jumper/lap-top carry case, and probably a pop bottle or two, NOT what's on offer on e-bay!

Sorry, this is the old fashioned art of 'improvisation'.

The link I gave you is for a detachable topbox.. Not sure what the issue with a chain & laptop in the box is? Simply, the chain on the bottom of the box, laptop, in laptop bag I'd hope, on top of said chain, if you're carry spare gloves etc, then they act as additional padding. Ridden like this myself for years, and, thus far, undamaged laptops and cameras have been the order of the day..

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]'The link I gave you is for a detachable topbox.. Not sure what the issue with a chain & laptop in the box is? Simply, the chain on the bottom of the box, laptop, in laptop bag I'd hope, on top of said chain, if you're carry spare gloves etc, then they act as additional padding. Ridden like this myself for years, and, thus far, undamaged laptops and cameras have been the order of the day.'

Top boxes generally have a weight limit and a chain normally puts you well over. Add to this the sliding around of 8 kilos or so as you ride, it's a little bit unsafe. Just because we tend to iģnore the weight numbers when filling up a top box with cans and crisps, doesn't mean they don't exist!

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

The link I gave you is for a detachable topbox.. Not sure what the issue with a chain & laptop in the box is? Simply, the chain on the bottom of the box, laptop, in laptop bag I'd hope, on top of said chain, if you're carry spare gloves etc, then they act as additional padding. Ridden like this myself for years, and, thus far, undamaged laptops and cameras have been the order of the day..

Didn't think this one was detachable. I thought I will have to unscrew the box every evening and screw it back on in the morning. Will look into this.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd strongly advise against carrying locks on your person - not going to do you much good if you come off. Tailpacks are great for anything that isn't crush-sensitive (as they tend to "strap down") but a laptop isn't really in that category. Detachable topbox seems the obvious choice . . .

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:38 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I'd strongly advise against carrying locks on your person - not going to do you much good if you come off.

So would I.. but... coming off isn't going to do you much good to start with... then, when it's in the lap of the gawds, odds is odds and you take your chances!
Worry, really, is NOT coming off to start with, then carrying luggage on you or on the bike is a slightly different matter.
Luggage on the bike, like a pillion and/or more depending whether strapped for or aft of the rear axle, and/or how much higher than seat, can and will effect the handling, more so if it moves about, unrestrained, like a lock in an otherwise empty top box. Now what is the greater 'risk', a bit of luggage shifting and helping you crash, or something hard and unyielding, wrapped around you IF you do (for other reasons)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:

Didn't think this one was detachable. I thought I will have to unscrew the box every evening and screw it back on in the morning. Will look into this.

Yeah, there are alternatives with a 'push' release mechanism, that 1 is secured by screwing the screw in, it's got a nice big top that's easy to turn, no tools necessary

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:
I'd strongly advise against carrying locks on your person - not going to do you much good if you come off.

So would I.. but... coming off isn't going to do you much good to start with... then, when it's in the lap of the gawds, odds is odds and you take your chances!
Worry, really, is NOT coming off to start with, then carrying luggage on you or on the bike is a slightly different matter.
Luggage on the bike, like a pillion and/or more depending whether strapped for or aft of the rear axle, and/or how much higher than seat, can and will effect the handling, more so if it moves about, unrestrained, like a lock in an otherwise empty top box. Now what is the greater 'risk', a bit of luggage shifting and helping you crash, or something hard and unyielding, wrapped around you IF you do (for other reasons)?

Thanks guys. Makes sense. I will look into other alternatives. I ordered a xlmoto slipstream backpack now to carry laptop and clothes. For rest of the stuff I will look for a tank bag. Will see how this goes. Riding 1 hour with about 3 to 4Kg on the back.... not sure how it feels until I try it.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
I ordered a xlmoto slipstream backpack now to carry laptop and clothes.

Just be aware the zips come unstiched really easily on these. The one I ordered, and it's warranty replacement, both did it. Ditched it as a bad idea, and don't bother using the replacement for the replacement.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:48 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
Thanks guys. Makes sense. I will look into other alternatives.

FWIW, I have tried most means of luggig stiff on a bike over the decades, BUT the one ESSENTIAL thing you CANT buy on e-bay, is COMMON SENSE.

The 'gargo net' I have to say, was a real revelation when I got my first one 'free' on the cover of a magazine; sort of consigned lots of plastic bags and bungees to the dust-bin, BUT still needs some ingenuity and a good dose of common-ccum, not to leave pilion lids bouncing alone the road, or have to fight the stray dogs for your chips!

After years of doing it the hard way when I was at Uni, when I got my VF, I got a two-box 'System' of hard luggage. One box could be used as a top box to carry my suit and lab-coat to work, and my lid and over suit when I changed. Two boxes could be mounted on the sides as paniers for trips to the now ex missus etc; two boxes on the sides and a tent etc on the box mount/rack when I headed of for the week-end or longer.

If ANYTHING a full hard-luggage set-up probably made it all 'too' easy, and when I got the Seven-Fifty, first rally I went to I bought a pair of folding fishing stools to sit on, which, wedged in the tail and bungeed to the grab-rail made impromptu 'rack' to tie the tent to... necessity is the mother of invention, as they say... except If I had any sense I would have just taken the.. oooh dead dare I say it? Shhh..... CAR! That' makes carrying chit oh so easy and safe! But where's the fun in that, eh?

To augment the impromptu rack on the Seven-Fifty, I found a pair of 'Throw-over' soft panniers that had strap that went under and over the seat, and so be 'locked on' to prevent theft which I once suffered with the old fashioned, just over the saddle, type, of old way back when.

THOSE soft bags are still on the bike, almost a decade later.. they could probably do with replacing about, now, a year ago or so, but then so to probably could the rider! B-U-T, they are my go-to luggage solution, for almost all, and pertinent to you, take a lap-top, in one side, lock and chains the other to even the weight distribution... but also keeps major weight low down. Bulkier stuff like sleeping bags then goes on the now proper rack, and my heavy old film cameras go in the tank bag, where a) I can get at one fairly easy if I see a photo op, and b) weight is between the axles, and as low down as I can get it. Not the closest it could be, but a good compromise, I find...

And THAT is the key, compromise and ingenuity coupled to common sense.

There's no ideal luggage solution for a bike, except perhaps that car... you HAVE to make it up as you go along to a large extent, work out what best suits and works for you and your load... like I say, PACK THAT COMMON COCUM!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a suitably sized roll-end dry bag without carry straps (they just get in the way) secured to the pillion seat with Rok Straps. You might want to protect the paintwork.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1