Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Resurrection of a BCF favourite. PDW.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Resurrection of a BCF favourite. PDW. Reply with quote

Anyone remember this?

https://i.postimg.cc/FKm5nFwM/IMG-20191209-115515882.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Qx822gk0/IMG-20191209-115504705.jpg

I was re-reading the old thread and have been thinking of procuring a new project to dick about with over the winter. The thread just kind of petered out with CHR15 offering the CG for sale, but no indication of what had happened to it.

I messaged him and after he revealed it had been languishing in the parents garage for many years I asked if I could buy it. A week later it is on the ferry heading over to the good old Isle of Wight, on a paddock stand, because side and center stands are for pussies. Just like on my old cafe racer. Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/0j7KsRYK/12122945-10153642198133485-1884612839058616231-n.jpg%20

So, I will have to trawl through the thread again to see what is actually in this thing, but it appears to be a 1995 'BR-K' CG125 frame and swingarm, Late -post 2002- CG125 'M' front end with the disk brake, a 1989 RM250 motocross smoker and what would appear to be an -at a guess- RS4 125 rear wheel and brake squeezed in there.

There is a large amount of work to finish off on the bike to get it rideable, though the bike did run. There is an absence of footpegs which is a common thing on motor swapped CGs as the footbar bolts to the bottom of the motor. I have already thought of that and should have a way around it though. The radiator placement is, interesting, though I do like the idea of running a polished ally rad between the front forks and spraying a number on it to make it look like a numberboard.

The rear brake is not hooked up, but from the look of it CHR15 was planning on running a rear thumb brake on the handlebars, which is quite an elegant solution to not having to mount up a rear M/C. This is a pain in the ass on the CG as the frame is 'inboard' so to speak, there is nowhere to really weld to to attach said M/C in line with any pegs that could be added.

Basically the plan is to get the death weapon fired up and running again, make sure the motor is ok. At which point it will be stripped and the frame will have some extra tabs/pegs welded to it to mount some stuff, as well as a hoop for the back end. I will have to look into mounting a silencer at this point as the eventual aim is a daylight MOT legal bike. Even my friendly MOTer ain't gonna let an unsilenced motocross motor on the roads. Laughing

For the minute it is in my workshop, along with some other buddies just waiting for some love.

https://i.postimg.cc/dQjXjWZ4/IMG-20191209-135312437.jpg

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:20 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it I had an 89 RM250 years ago I loved it.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have a knack of getting into some decent and interesting (read non mainstream) projects and this is definitely one of those!

Yep I remember Chr1s and the CG death weapon device, before he let us all down and fucked off to play with turbo, EFI Hillman Imps or Gingers, opps I mean Ginettas. Those sorts of things were cool too, but we never heard about them, probably because some moaning old twats on here would say '' Shove your cars up yer arse, this is a bike forum''.

Anyway despite my taste/mild curiosity for a certain fine blend of unburnt hydrocarbons, I do and did prefer this mean machine when it had the original engine in it. It was supposed to be a CG turbo build, and I never gave up wanting Moaarr snail!

In this delicate old school simple chassis the ugly kid RM motor makes it look disfigured and far too John Merrick to be accepted in society. Laughing

A bit of scaffolding tube with a flange welded on, and a small snail, along with lots of kinky blue silicone hoses, a cheeky BOV and a little slash cut exhaust, could have made this bike look far cooler and more industrial revolution era and if it had a but of bare brushed steel sheet metal and some aged brown leather grips or seat, then the hipsters would have got all aroused too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:41 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chain line!

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
You do have a knack of getting into some decent and interesting (read non mainstream) projects and this is definitely one of those!

Yep I remember Chr1s and the CG death weapon device, before he let us all down and fucked off to play with turbo, EFI Hillman Imps or Gingers, opps I mean Ginettas. Those sorts of things were cool too, but we never heard about them, probably because some moaning old twats on here would say '' Shove your cars up yer arse, this is a bike forum''.

Anyway despite my taste/mild curiosity for a certain fine blend of unburnt hydrocarbons, I do and did prefer this mean machine when it had the original engine in it. It was supposed to be a CG turbo build, and I never gave up wanting Moaarr snail!

In this delicate old school simple chassis the ugly kid RM motor makes it look disfigured and far too John Merrick to be accepted in society. Laughing

Don't worry, a 200cc EFI'd chinese lump turbo CG with a separate oil system is coming too. It's all in the plans.

I want this to be alive. Laughing

Quote:
That chain line!

That chain line indeed. The motor does appear to be mounted a tad too low in the frame. Laughing Though when there's a fat lad on it -me- it does set the swingarm at a better angle to the front sprocket. Still glad of that fat delrin chain rest though. Laughing

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in an IT class here and laughed loudly when I shouldn't have. Please make it road legal and let us see it working.
The idea of a crosser 2T engine propelling something bare minimum appeals so much.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:44 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deffo looking forward to seeing it ride! I'd think a wider ratio gearbox might be on the cards though Laughing

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 23 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
Deffo looking forward to seeing it ride! I'd think a wider ratio gearbox might be on the cards though Laughing

I believe when chris calculated the gearing on this bike it would be doing around 60mph in third at 8k rpm. Considering this has a couple of thousand RPM and 2 more gears to go, and probably the power to pull it in this frame -circa 70kg all up weight- i don't really want to know what the top end would be.

Quote:
I'm in an IT class here and laughed loudly when I shouldn't have. Please make it road legal and let us see it working.
The idea of a crosser 2T engine propelling something bare minimum appeals so much.

It does have that effect. A few of my mates have seen it in the unit and the first reaction has always been a knee jerk -if nervous- giggle. This is why it must be.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 25 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
bladerunner wrote:

I believe when chris calculated the gearing on this bike it would be doing around 60mph in third at 8k rpm. Considering this has a couple of thousand RPM and 2 more gears to go, and probably the power to pull it in this frame -circa 70kg all up weight- i don't really want to know what the top end would be.

that will be about 45mph in first then ie..TALL!

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brings back some memories that bike

https://i.imgur.com/TH9WCdV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GPzOO13.jpg

good times, used to say Faster than my Rxs on it somewhere i recall
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 08:55 - 28 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the time we broke down in Congleton wasn’t it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an update.

This ran today.

It both rung and dung. I didn't get any video as it was brief, the ignition was interrupting like fuck and was tracked down to a corroded coil earth. Common complaint with a bike that has stood for 7 Confused ? years. The kickstart, a bastard complaint with this bike, was then deemed too dangerous to use due to the ability for it to get stuck under the swingarm pivot due to it's excessive wear. Having taken a chunk out of a calf, and the clutch cover in the process, we gave the thing a rest. A new all steel kickstart is on the way which should stand up to the wrath. Wink

To make myself feel better, a full RS4 125 front end is on the way with all it's USD, 4 pot caliper big disk glory for a slightly more performance biased setup, as well as matching the 'marchesiniish' rear wheel.

Will it fit? like fuck it will. Anything will go into anything with enough machining though. Wink

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuff has occurred, legs have been worn like hats by the little cunt but we have had reliable firing. until the monkey metal kickstart gave way. Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/BbY6Cs7K/IMG-20200208-104450418.jpg

Runs on carb cleaner, so pulled the carb for cleaning. The little TM lives again.

https://i.postimg.cc/W3Sb2TvH/IMG-20200211-112140805.jpg

Also, suspension and brakes and stuffffff.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ5BVd2C/IMG-20200211-144217755.jpg

Because I'm crazy, not stupid.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:17 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

New front end... safety and reliability... aren't you defeating the whole point Very Happy

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
New front end... safety and reliability... aren't you defeating the whole point Very Happy

maximum braking is only achieved after the front wheel is folded under the headstock.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks worse than the things we rode around colliery spoil heaps - looks ace!
If it gets onto being road legal - how does one insure such contraptions?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Looks worse than the things we rode around colliery spoil heaps - looks ace!
If it gets onto being road legal - how does one insure such contraptions?

Adrian Flux most likely. It's legally declared as a 250cc CG125 so there ain't no lying about it. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1