Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding in rain with glasses?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Riding in rain with glasses? Reply with quote

Anyone ride in the rain with glasses on?

I had to ride back from work today in rain. Initially I tried with visor down. But that was getting fogged up. So I had to ride with the visor open. Now my glasses get wet and was effecting visibility. Also the headlights from oncoming vehicles was dazzling me due to the wet glasses.

Any tips the experienced riders here can share?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will often be best with visor open a crack, as for the glasses, drops of rain getting in will be bad news but there might be some tricks would reduce condensation like putting a drop of washing up liquid or spit on them (and largely wiping off) Scuba mask ideas...
Compared to driving a car it's always going to be problematic on occasion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact lenses > glasses.

Sure not always an option but if you can then I'd advise it. Daily disposables over monthly ones (cost more but far cleaner).

Failing that riding with the visor cracked open is your next best option. My scorpion helmet has a little notch on to put the visor slightly open all the time, but with my HJC it means just closing it fully and then un-clicking it from fully sealed.

Your enemy is the ambient temperature, but also how often you can keep moving. Glasses in cold weather is a pain at the best of times, rain makes it a nightmare. If you can keep moving at high speeds (30-40 and above) then you'll be able to ride with visor fully closed without issue, but at town speeds and in traffic you're probably best with it cranked open.

Having a pinlock inside the helmet, if you haven't, will help. Also how well the vents work will make a difference, or how well their designed to begin with.

Rain might get on the inside of the visor after cracking it open so if you close it fully and it fogs up that will be why.

You may wish to get a helmet that has grooves on the inside for glasses if you find them pressing against your head.

Its a constant battle, and at this time of year is a massive pain. If you can't get contact lenses then best of luck. Thumbs Up

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
You will often be best with visor open a crack.

That was the only way I could ride with specs in cold, wet weather, contact lenses made life so much safer as it was always a toss up between frostbitten nose and shitty vision vs no vision.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Riding in rain with glasses? Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:

I had to ride back from work today in rain. Initially I tried with visor down. But that was getting fogged up. So I had to ride with the visor open. Now my glasses get wet and was effecting visibility. Also the headlights from oncoming vehicles was dazzling me due to the wet glasses.

Any tips the experienced riders here can share?

Hm, well I don't know if it will help, but years ago I used to ride in glasses, and had a Shoei S20 fibreglass helmet (in tasteful metal flake electric blue, like the one pictured but brighter and more sparkly Smile )

The "peak" above the visor was good when heading into the sun, and set the visor forward, increasing the space in front of my glasses, so they did not fog up much if at all. Ventilation was good too. An open face helmet was also OK.

I should think the principle still holds good, IF you can get something with a big gap in front of your nozzle. I have no idea whether anything like that design of visor is available now.

As has been said, if you can use contact lenses, the problem is solved.

EDIT: Just noticed a search for "best crash helmet spectacles OR glasses" (or similar) might be productive.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that I've found that works is Respro Foggy Mask

https://respro.com/store/product/foggy-mask

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:04 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had same issue with visor as most lessons were in rain, not using glasses but rain in eyes was off putting. I did the washing up liquid thing which wasnt bad. i saw a video of a guy using shaving foam, applied to inside, left for 15 mins, buffed off to a shine, said will last a week or 2 or riding.
other than that as advised is a new lid or new visor if lid can be upgraded. the good helmets have the option. im too skint now to upgrade Smile

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinlock visor, and keep the visor and glasses very clean (and scratch-free) to reduce misting. Use a lens cleaning solution on the glasses. In heavy rain I'll keep the visor shut for as long as possible because once you open it a notch to demist you let raindrops in at the top. In fact I've wondered about designing some sort of flexible seal at the top. I'd probably call it Rainp... oh, damn!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Riding in rain with glasses? Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:

I had to ride back from work today in rain

Me too, forty miles of country roads, continually blinded by oncoming headlights.
There really isn't a magic solution to the glasses/rain/visor thing.
Keeping all the helmet vents open helps a bit. I ride visor down until my glasses fog up, then visor up and squint for as log as they take to demist, then visor down ... and repeat...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear glasses. Don't get on with contacts on the bike, fine off it, but I find my eyes dry out when on the bike, even with the visor down.

Best "fit" solution for me; pinlock, ultra-clean visor AND glasses, keep visor shut but any helmet vents open, turn head sideways periodically to blast the rain off. When I'm crawling/filtering, tend to open the visor and can get away with it, but above about 15 mph the rain flies in.

It's not easy . . . if only there was some solution for clearing rain off the visor . . . Wink

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:54 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My helmet has one of those built-in sun visors. I wonder if pulling it down a little bit would keep spray off my specs?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:20 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems with interior fogging?

Silence

Thou shalt not speak of [name redacted]®.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Problems with interior fogging?

Silence

Thou shalt not speak of [name redacted]®.

Oh [name redacted] !
Why hast thou forsaken us?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:02 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Why hast thou forsaken us?

https://i.imgur.com/uj5IhtF.png

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:05 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine that but with tape so strong that even trucks are being made from it.

Wub Rain

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:13 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respro foggy is the only thing that solved this issue for me, as a bonus it keeps your face warmer too in the conditions you need to resort to it vs pinlocks (Which do eventually saturate). The only other option I've had good luck with is anti fog clothes by LifeArt on Amazon all the other clothes, sprays are mediocre.

The anti fog cloth is only effective at near sub zero temps if the chin curtain is out and chin vent is open otherwise it eventually starts getting overpowered at lights.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:09 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I need is some sort of snorkel which vents my (foul) breath out of the helmet, well away from the visor and my specs. Why doesn't such a thing exist? I used to have a breath guard thingy in an Arai, but in winter in the rain you want something properly airtight. Maybe this is my excuse for buying a fighter pilot's oxygen mask.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably depends on the shape of your face (my hooter slowly pecked bits off the breath deflector on my last, long-lived Arai, and slightly off-centre too Laughing), but I couldn't get on with a Respro Foggy mask. It was uncomfortably tight over the top of my nose and in general it got a bit clammy. If loosened it directed my breath upwards onto my glasses.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
What I need is some sort of snorkel which vents my (foul) breath out of the helmet, .

HalitosisPal?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought an Adventure style helmet for winter riding and its an improvement on a normal tour style for fogging and rain. Ive done a review of it in general bike chat.

I always wear specs. I find i can see through the rain drops on my specs easier than rain on a visor so often when it's pelting down I'll ride wuth the visor up unless im riding at speed where wind force blows the rain off. I also think specs give a bit of protection to your eyes.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
What I need is some sort of snorkel which vents my (foul) breath out of the helmet, well away from the visor and my specs. Why doesn't such a thing exist?

Just breath into the pipe.

https://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/COMMS/voicepipe/bikepipe.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I haven't been upto speed with all the advise given. Just went through all the comments and was able to gather the following.

1. Visor slightly open. I actually tried this while riding yesterday, but my visor only clicks and holds in 2 positions. One fully open and the other at half way. Need to see if I can get it to hold slightly open.
2. Pinlock. My helmet manual says, pinlock ready. Was able to see that there are anti fog inserts in amazon.
3. Respro foggy.
4. Contact lenses. I used them in the past, but left them as they weren't comfortable for all day use. May not be an option.
5. I have found some anti fog sprays online. Do these work? Also there is a rainx plastic now. Anyone tried this?

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:01 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw someone say theres doesnt click a slight gap so use a little blutack to create a small gap.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered these pinlock anti fog visor inserts... Will see how this goes.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191976576444

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinlock works fine, unless you are a sweaty, heavy breather.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2