BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ODB readers.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:35 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: ODB readers. Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting myself one as acrimbo present, Ideally one that will work with my phone.

Any recommendations?

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming triumph
Software Torque paid and TuneECU
Hardware cheap OBD2 to Bluetooth unit ebay !

I have this set-up and use it at work but also have a cheap hand held unit + a HealTeck service light tool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:57 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's basically what I was thinking. I take it that the software works with any vehicle with an ODB2 socket?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Torque, but as said above really needs to be the paid version as it's only £3 or so.

I gather there are certain cars that it doesn't work on. Ones that use propriety software but I have yet to have that problem.

The great thing about most apps is there is a free version you can play around with and decide if you like/don't like.

My adapter is an ebay bluetooth cheapy which works fine.

Saying all that I have a cheapy hand held that I use for the basic code reading and clearing where you don't need monitoring which I find is 90% of the time.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:03 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, torque can read and clear codes?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Just to clarify, torque can read and clear codes?

Yes, well the paid one certainly. I presume the freebie can as well.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I like Torque, but as said above really needs to be the paid version as it's only £3 or so.

I gather there are certain cars that it doesn't work on. Ones that use propriety software but I have yet to have that problem.

The great thing about most apps is there is a free version you can play around with and decide if you like/don't like.

My adapter is an ebay bluetooth cheapy which works fine.

Saying all that I have a cheapy hand held that I use for the basic code reading and clearing where you don't need monitoring which I find is 90% of the time.

Should work across all as OBDII is a universal standard. There will be manufacturer specific codes etc, but smiliar to you, I have a cheapo bluetooth reader for the port, and Torque on the phone. Does the job really well.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:53 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an Android, just jump on your local piratebay and get Torque paid for...for free Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:56 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I has £50k to spend. I don't mind paying for it...

Another question, does torque record the monitoring? Trying to look at my phone whilst using the bike is problematic....

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about full data-logging but it certainly does graphs. Just buy it Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:40 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I has £50k to spend. I don't mind paying for it...

I have money to spend, I don't see the point if the app is available. Smile

Quote:
Another question, does torque record the monitoring? Trying to look at my phone whilst using the bike is problematic....

What are you wanting exactly?

Torque / TuneECU I found were more useful when not riding... I used it to map the Triumph I had with aftermarket cans. Torque just checked errors and can see on screen idle speeds etc, not much use for day to day.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:57 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moan about the Americans , but they do have some good ideas.
One year they said" Right if you want to sell cars in California it must have a standard diagnostic socket that obeys these protocols" so all of a sudden there is a standard , so instead of each manufacturer having their own socket and their own software it must apply to this standard. Note I didnt use the word 'all', thats because on top of the standard engine management stuff, there are then manufacturer specific codes , for example , to alter the speed of the delay wiper.
All of the above now applied to motorcycles too. OBD= original US spec EOBD is the European version, very similar.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

wu tang clan strikes again...

For OBDII readers it often depends on what vehicle you have (even though in an ideal world it shouldn't).

I'd go to whatever specific forum that is related to your vehicles and see what works best.

For me, I have a dedicated 32bit OS laptop with opcom/vauxcom software, because the £200 OBD2 reader a friend had couldn't read codes on my car.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a few bits of software for various vehicles, But VCDS which is VAG orientated software but reads all other cars, it can still do the live data function, and read and reset codes, soft-coding of VAG,
Even works on Jap cars, some of the Jap stuff can still be hit and miss on handheld OBD readers,
VCDS uses a Laptop and a usb lead,but it does give a lot of information the cheaper handhelds do read and reset but don`t tend to give much live data,sensors etc,
I have always found the Bluetooth gear to be laggy and rather hit and miss, couldn't get it to work on 4 out 5 of my cars,
If anyone is local to Derby/Notts I am willing to have a go at their bikes, see if a cheap handheld or laptop and Bluetooth devices work,

None of my bikes even have OBD lol

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:23 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used TuneECU on my 53 Triumph Sprint with a usb going to an old windows XP laptop.

Worked a treat. I was able to load up the original fuel map which made no difference at all to the running of the bike but at least it gave me piece of mind and I love tinkering with this sort of stuff.

I believe you can do more with the later models of Triumphs such as balance the injectors.

My ZX9R doesn't even have a low fuel warning light let alone an OBDII port. Lol.
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:46 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got tune ECU for the strumpet and will get torque when I have to mess with anything else.

I'll let you know how I get on after crimbo.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my £6 eBay OBDII on the work's F150 yesterday. I used torque as none of the other four apps worked with the adaptor.
I don't thinknthey cheap adaptors are as fast as a more expensive one.
And the paid apps get you access to deeper shit.

But play with few.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If mapping I'd advise you only use a compatible cable as bluetooth dongles aren't the most reliable, and although they're mostly all ELM clones some of the chipsets are dank. You do not want to brick an ECU.

Cables are very reliable and work with android phones, and laptop not sure about iPhone.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:10 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I've got is wife, not blue tooth.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1