Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The bawwwing has begun

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:07 - 15 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few of these around. OK, it's trite but conciliatory.

https://i.postimg.cc/25g0GkCs/Pooh.jpg

But today this ones been rearing it's head among some Labourites.

https://i.postimg.cc/rpDh502G/Piglet.jpg

Jesus, talk about bitter. Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 15 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I help run a large group on FB about my areas old and new history. Generally it's a nice place to be. Lately though I've lost count of people reporting comments that hurt their feelings - I've actually removed more complainants from the group than those making comments. Why? Well because the comments were truthful and those reporting them give me extra pointless work! Every single complainant has been a remainer..

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 15 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have become less pleasant / tolerant because the threat of an actual smack in the mouth does not exist online at least, not without some detective work and even then there's a record of the build up so you've effectively nicked yourself.

For me it's no different to mouthy teenagers working out that the bit after 'don't do that or else' is just an empty threat.

In reality, face to face, most people are OK because they realise they have to be but online / facebook / instaban or whatever, it's a vitriol free for all.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's pure echo-chamber.

They need to learn that staying in a room with a group of people who loudly and vocally hold the same oppinion as you gives a false inpression that eveyrone agrees with you.

The remain camp are so obnoxiously loud and prepared to shout down anyone who holds a contrary view, it borders on hatred. They turn up en-mass and loudly and publically lambast anyone who doesn't agree with them with protesting, social media campigning and behaviour bordering on fanatical hate in order to silence them.

They succeeded. The majority kept silent. I have quietly kept my views to myself on numerous occasions when in the presence of rabid remainers because I don't need to be subjected to that sort of fanatical bile. However, their oppinions do not hold sway in my houselold no matter how loudly they shout and facebook propoganda does not exist inside a polling station.

I've grown up enough to realise that someone who is prepared to shout you down is not worth talking to. They wont listen so why bother. They now wrongly think that because their own oppinion is the only one they were hearing, they must have been in the majority.

Boris policy of not subjecting himself to shouty public debates and
broadly speaking, keeping his fool mouth shut is what won it for him.

This ^^+ 1000.
Sometimes Mr Stinky, you are a wise old sage Thumbs Up

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Sometimes Mr Stinky, you are a wise old sage Thumbs Up
That's a bit age-ist. It's also promoting the idea that one person's contribution to the conversation is worth more than another.

Just what sort of a non binary, non gender specific monster are you?
Suntan Sid This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:44 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

''The leave camp are so obnoxiously loud and prepared to shout down anyone who holds a contrary view''

Maybe because they won and want to be counted as people as opposed to 'those clowns that don't know what they're voting for'

Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anybody who has fallen out over the Election in the real world.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

The leave camp are so obnoxiously loud and prepared to shout down anyone who holds a contrary view, it borders on hatred. They turn up en-mass and loudly and publicly lambaste anyone who doesn't agree with them with protesting, social media campaigning and behaviour bordering on fanatical hate in order to silence them.

I kind of got the opposite impression, but I'm willing to concede parts of both sides are guilty of this, and attacking the people probably isn't the best idea.

Some good points above about the effects of social media on the arguments. It all becomes very distorted, exaggerated. Best not pay too much attention to any of it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Last edited by chickenstrip on 11:31 - 16 Dec 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I don't know anybody who has fallen out over the Election in the real world.

Really? I do. Quite a few people. In fact, thinking about it I've heard more vitriol IRL over this election than even Brexit.

I'm sure that it's completely different in London where they have a rally, scream at people for any reason and probably bash each other over the head with placards but down my local which is pretty quiet a few 'I have rights' people have vowed never to come back after arguments about the election.

I've never seen that before.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Suntan Sid wrote:

The leave camp are so obnoxiously loud and prepared to shout down anyone who holds a contrary view, it borders on hatred. They turn up en-mass and loudly and publicly lambaste anyone who doesn't agree with them with protesting, social media campaigning and behaviour bordering on fanatical hate in order to silence them.

I kind of got the opposite impression, but I'm willing to concede parts of both sides are guilty of this, and attacking the people probably isn't the best idea.

Some good points above about the effects of social media on the arguments. It all becomes very distorted, exaggerated. Best not pay too much attention to any of it.

In isolated instances maybe, but Stinkwheel is right about the leave camp in the majority of cases. The Gammon, thicko, racist tags have been thrown about with abandon by the leave camp, just like there are still Corbynites throwing the selfish, racist, nasty tags at anyone who didn't vote their way.

We will probably get Wee Willie Kranky screaming the same sort of shite against the English on her run up to trying for Indy2.

Social media has become pretty poisonous.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it depends how you go about talking to people. There are some in the village that I would rather run away from than chat shit about politics because they are either to the right of Genghis Khan or to the left of Trotsky.... That way nobody falls out.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

And with it politics generally. The people I least like to hear from are politicians and those who vocally hold strong political views. Lets go back to when people kept their politics to themselves, voted when the time came around, and otherwise just got on with life.

Thinking

This whole section of the forum should be nuked.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

And with it politics generally. The people I least like to hear from are politicians and those who vocally hold strong political views. Lets go back to when people kept their politics to themselves, voted when the time came around, and otherwise just got on with life.

Thinking

This whole section of the forum should be nuked.

https://d3i71xaburhd42.cloudfront.net/5cfabe3d03ee0a799125ede9ddfac5bf4f3ff3aa/74-Figure15-1.png

I'm not sure that qualifies as debate but it certainly ends any disagreements. Thumbs Up

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's enlightening to compare the style of politics on TV in the past with the garbage now.

Here both sides articulately present a reasoned argument, they listen to each other and the presenter doesn't think he's obliged to interrupt even before any point can be made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuZrzwm6CJs

Modern politicians are as much to blame with the majority apparently having been schooled in tactics to avoid answering questions or being pinned down to any aspect of policy at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I'm not sure that qualifies as debate but it certainly ends any disagreements. Thumbs Up

It seems people can't be trusted to debate politics without either jumping down each other's throats, or going completely off the rails. What else is actually achieved here? It certainly doesn't seem to contribute to anyone's happiness.

Nuke the (sub)forum!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I've seen a few of these around. OK, it's trite but conciliatory.

https://i.postimg.cc/25g0GkCs/Pooh.jpg

But today this ones been rearing it's head among some Labourites.

https://i.postimg.cc/rpDh502G/Piglet.jpg

Jesus, talk about bitter. Laughing

The first one is true.
Of course a pig would vote Labour. It would side with those who refuse to eat it.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

True dat.

I bet dogs would vote Conservative though.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
True dat.

I bet dogs would vote Conservative though.

Pooh wouldn't vote Labour. He doesn't want to share his honey.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 18 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well given im a lefty I can hardly be accused of seeking an echo chamber here on BCF. Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 19 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
Well given im a lefty I can hardly be accused of seeking an echo chamber here on BCF. Laughing

I dunno. You have Roman Numeral child, LinuxYappy, Norbert the Fatherless, Percy, Diggs and Val to bounce off.

Val is his own little sewer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 101 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3