Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Goodbye my little mate.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Goodbye my little mate. Reply with quote

For the last 11 years my dog (some of you have met the little fucker) has been the only constant in my life.
The only being pleased to see me no matter what.

In the last few months his heath has deteriorated massively, he has been diagnosed with advanced dementia and severe artheritis.

He spends his day pacing around, his world becoming ever smaller as he fails ro recognise things around him. Thankfully so far he still knows me.
But in the next few weeks his time will have to come, he cant go on like this.

He means more to me than most in the world. I cant come to terms with the fact he isnt going to be here.
He is my first dog after leaving home,I have had pets all my life but none I have had such an attachment to as this little bastard. I love him like no other.

How do you know when it's time?

And how do you fucking cope with seeing them being put down? I want to be the last thing he sees but I have a feeling its going to destroy me.

I'm not looking for pity, i just need to let this out.

Last edited by Fisty on 11:46 - 07 Feb 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:36 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be the last thing he sees. Be strong for the lil guy

Sad

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:39 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same with my cat, I will become an absolute wreck.

You'll know when its time to say bye. Sounds cliche but you will. You'll notice the difference and likely see things getting worse. All you can do is stay with him and be there throughout, it will break you, you'd be some kind of nutter if it didn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will just know. It's a shitty thing, and such a cliché to say, but it's your final act of kindness.
Never easy. So sorry for the decision to come.

The last pet I had put down was a chicken. She was thin and haggard and she had just had enough. It was on us to either wait around for her to die, or to take the decision for her. We did the right thing for us, and her.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:27 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: The loss of a friend. Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:

How do you know when it's time?

And how do you fucking cope with seeing them being put down? I want to be the last thing he sees but I have a feeling its going to destroy me.

I'm not looking for pity, i just need to let this out.

In my lifetime I've it done 6 times & no, it doesn't get any easier. The way I was taught by my father & he was taught by his father before him, was to go for one last walk & shoot the dog where you bury it. I don't think I could manage that last trip to the vets & where I live this is a quite normal way to do it.

Whatever method you choose you do it because you think so much of the dog you cannot bear to see it suffer. Don't battle with the pain of seeing the dog suffer against the pain of losing it & don't for one minute think the vet will think you a lesser man for bawling your eyes out, they vets & not dentists for a reason.

One thing I can say after 6 times is go out & get the new dog the very next day.

If you & your dog had a fantastic life together then there's dog's waiting for a chance at that life.

I agree, everyone should have someone who is always happy to see them when they come home.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel that he has any quality of life, and that he can be kept comfortable, then you can justify prolonging the inevitable. If you're keeping him around because just you're not ready to say goodbye, then it's time.

It's the downside of furbabies, they're only around for part of our lives, but you're there for the whole of theirs. Knowing that you've given them a good life and can end their suffering is a luxury we don't afford ourselves.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: The loss of a friend. Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:

One thing I can say after 6 times is go out & get the new dog the very next day.

If you & your dog had a fantastic life together then there's dog's waiting for a chance at that life.

I agree, everyone should have someone who is always happy to see them when they come home.

Sadly there won't be another for a long time, our work routines would mean a pup would be alone too long.

AldridgePrior wrote:

Advice? Hug and cuddle fuck out of him now. I mean now because when he's gone you'll be glad you did.

Believe me I am as much as he will tolerate.

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
If you feel that he has any quality of life, and that he can be kept comfortable, then you can justify prolonging the inevitable. If you're keeping him around because just you're not ready to say goodbye, then it's time.

At the moment he still knows me and his routine. But his frustration at not being able to walk as far and his pacing around combined with general confusion is getting worse.
He isn't in pain but he keeps asking to go out for a piss, immideately turns round and comes back in, 5 minutes later does the same again.
This repeats for an hour or until he pisses on the floor.

Im genuinely hoping that I wake up to find he has died in his sleep so the choice is taken away from me.

I can't sleep and I am struggling with work due to it taking over my brain.
It feels like I am choosing when to kill a child.

https://i.imgur.com/SgJcHzx.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/UXyVkOu.jpg?1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: The loss of a friend. Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:

I get those two points but I've always thought it was kind of disrespectful not to leave a year or so's gap. It's like, "Next!"

Having seen people dwindle well past their dignified expiry time (my mother had Alzheimer's) I hope to find a good way to end it when I'm getting to that point. Pets are lucky in that they have someone who can do that for them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wub Porkers Wub

Towards the end, Bruno and I ate a lot of Mr Whippys, cos that's what he liked.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be strong be kind, for him, you can mend later.
Have you got some good pictures of him?

Nine years since one of my cats passed away ( I had to take him to the vets) but the picture of him we keep still makes me smile.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Wub Porkers Wub

Towards the end, Bruno and I ate a lot of Mr Whippys, cos that's what he liked.

We have been eating a lot of lamb lately cus thats what he likes. A lot.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an absolute cunt stick to decide when the end comes and to actually carry it out, easily rivals the grief of losing a loved human family member or friend, often more so.
The one thing I would recommend is to keep the ashes, assuming you're going down that route.
It's bought us great comfort to be able to make contact with our old friend on a daily basis.
Being there when the deed is done isn't something I'd recommend as it's extremely distressing, I was broken for a good while, but at least you get a sense of peace and relief when you realise there is no more suffering.
The one thing I would say is to call the vets, explain what you want in no uncertain terms and let them know you don't want to hang about. Apologies for sounding a bit cold and clinical but it will help to get you through the shitty process.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: The loss of a friend. Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
JackButler wrote:

I get those two points but I've always thought it was kind of disrespectful not to leave a year or so's gap. It's like, "Next!.

We left it for four months or so, we really needed to try to fill the big hole in our household left by the passing of our old mate.
We needed another dog, simple as that.
He hasn't replaced our old dog, he's just giving us a new and very different experience.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't let them suffer. You'll know when Tom.
You tell them they're a good dog as they drift away.

You wonder why a ball of fluff passing can make you feel sadder than the passing of a dear human.

Shit man, I'm welling up.

When I met future Mrs Terror she had a dog called Wenlock.
Wenny was a street dog from Derby. Mrs T lived in the countryside and Wenny would on occasion escape the garden and wake the surrounding farms by her barking as she ran around trying to herd cattle.
Wenny was a wild child. She escaped many times, once she went into next door's kitchen and stole a whole salmon off the side....again with a beef roast.

By the time I met Wenny she'd become a great dog and went on to be a registered therapy dog (hozzy visits old folks homes etc).
Just before she turned over a new leaf Mrs T had gone to the shops and left Wenlock in the car.
Upon her return she noticed a small group of people surrounding her car, most were laughing.
Wenny had found a box of Ferrero Roche chocolates and was carefully unwrapping them and savouring each one.

When we found out she had a terminal illness and we'd decided it was time I asked Mrs T to pull over at the shop. Got a box of them and fed her chocolates all the way to the vets.

They ask for little and give so much.
They life a short time, you give them a good life and a good death.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: The loss of a friend. Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:

And how do you fucking cope with seeing them being put down?

You bawl your eyes out shamelessly. Our last dog started having brain seizures and that was hard to see. Didn't make taking her for her final trip any easier though.

The replacement, my current dog, well that's going to really break my heart. She's very attached to me and so endearing. She's only 3 right now so hopefully that's many years away yet.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:14 - 18 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why , but our cat has lost his big incisor teeth, and as such he can't catch birds or mice any more . OK, he gums the occasional mouse to death , but like twice a year, but as we feed him it's not a problem. As we have taken responsibility for allowing his life to continue, ( he wouldn't last more than a week or so in the wild, if he can't catch prey ) that means we also have to take responsibility for the ending of his life too.
We will have been here before, with all our previous ' animal friends' and I find it really upsetting at the time when we get the vet round, really, really upsetting.
Afterwards though I feel OK, because I know the little guy will have ended their life as painlessly and trauma free as it is possible for us to make it.
I've just been up North having a similar sort of conversation with the Doctor about ' allowing nature to take it's course' concerning the care of my 96 year old Mum, after 3 falls, breaks and continuing and ultimately pointless Hospitalisation.
Sadly I think it's all part of growing up......
We will be there one day.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 18 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:

Sadly I think it's all part of growing up......
We will be there one day.

Yep, as a mate of mine often remarks, its all in the post.

All you can do is what you think is right, given the knowledge and circumstances at the time, then move on.

You've given your pal a happy life, give them a painless death, let your conscience be clear and enjoy the memories.

You might hurt for a bit, but don't let them hurt any longer than it has to.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 06:28 - 18 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I feel it's important for children to have pets & to suffer the grief experience of losing a pet before it's granma & grandads turn, or even mum & dad !

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 18 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has brought all the memories of my dogs rushing back. Crying or Very sad

My last old chap I knew his time had come when walking (slowly) back to the house from the field across he road he just stopped, lay down and looked at me.

I had to pick him up and carry him home. I took him to the vets 2 days later after giving him a day of pampering.

I cried my fcuking eyes out.

There is nothing that can be said to make you feel any better - sorry.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:16 - 18 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another thing. We think it's much less trauma for the pet if the vet calls, to put them to sleep, rather than taking them all the way to the vets surgery. Do they want to be stuffed in the pet carrier and go all the way to the vets? No they want to stay at home, where they feel safe and comfortable .....
Additionally it is much easier to be upset at home rather than out there in public.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 18 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my dog in May.
I had her for 17 years from being a pup.

The vet was very good and she just fell asleep with me stroking her head and talking to her - it was very peaceful and a relief that she was no longer suffering. Of course I sobbed my heart out.

Got something in my eyes now Sad

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 18 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Shaggy on this. I'm sorry for the turmoil you're going through. This isn't going to be easy. But, ultimately, if any creature is sick and in suffering without cause or purpose or meaning or understanding, nor any likelihood of improvement in their condition, and we are in a position to grant misericordia, then by all means let us take our moral strength in our hands and do it. It's a dreadful and sobering process, but also a dignified one. You are in a position to bid your animal farewell as he goes, peacefully, into that gentle night. We, ourselves, are generally not allowed that luxury. However, the one virtue we may exercise as human beings is to make suffering brief where, without our intervening action, it may be unnecessarily protracted. Do what you have to do, grieve, take solace and give yourself time to put it behind you. No use putting off the inevitable.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:38 - 19 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Pork Chop. I can indeed confirm I met said young lad, and when I did he was a happy loving energetic dog. I'm not generally a dog person, but he is most certainly one of the loveable ones for me.

He'll be sorely missed I'm sure. Sad

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 19 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago a friend had a JRT, the dog used to sit on it's hind legs watching the garden through the conservatory window, guarding the house so to speak. When the time came to have the dog put down; they had him stuffed. He's still there today, guarding the garden; looking out through the conservatory window. It brings my friend some comfort; he'll look up from his paper and see his old faithful dog keeping watch. It might be something you may not have considered.

I found this on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDhGPAcoN-o
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3