BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tricity 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:55 - 21 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only aquaplaned once in however many years since I started and that was in a car at about 60.

Contact area at least 6 times that of a bike and the fucking thing just went straight on a bend. I and my wife both crapped ourselves and when the tyres finally gripped again off the standing water the car literally made a 90 degree turn where I'd tried to correct and overdid the steering input.

Good luck trying to do that on a bike. You'd be sliding on your arse at any attempt to turn.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:49 - 21 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
andyscooter wrote:
piaggio did the tilty three wheeler first and they made a 500cc version that could be driven on a car licence

Of course! How did I forget that Smile So these are classified as trikes and car drivers get trike entitlement so no CBT, no Am/A1/A2/A training required?

Only if you passed your car test before 2013 (i think) - you will have the grandfathered right to have a trike category - a with a 79 restriction. Theres a guy around central london riding one without a lid, for the sole reason it seems so he can put videos of him arguing with traffic plod when he does something stupid in front of them and gets a tug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 05:24 - 22 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
andyscooter wrote:
piaggio did the tilty three wheeler first and they made a 500cc version that could be driven on a car licence

Of course! How did I forget that Smile So these are classified as trikes and car drivers get trike entitlement so no CBT, no Am/A1/A2/A training required?

Yes + No

A bike becomes a trike, for legal purposes when the track width reaches a certain distance and/or a weight threshold is breached, and a trike becomes a car when it breaches another weight threshold...

https://gallery.nen.gov.uk/assets/1002/0000/0115/motorcycles_217_mid.jpg

That's a Brough 'Four'. Note the close coupled back wheels... err... yeah this AINT anything particularly 'new'. Dates back to 1932, and uses an Austin 7 car engine. George Brough decided on the double back wheel because he was worried that the enormous power of the Austin engine would shred back tyres.... and millennials seem to think that recreational pharmaceuticals are something new too! Any-how, the British tax man, decided that it was a trike, and as soon as you bolted a side-car to it and it got four wheels it was a 'car' hence subject to the same new car and road taxes.

The piagio MP3 is a similar anomaly/controversy.... the 125 version 'might' be a trike if the front wheels are far enough apart and hence driven on an 'old' car licence (Pre 2000 and or 2013 depending on granddad rights.. trike regs are almost as unintelligible as many of their rider's speech!)) as a trike... and I think that the 400 version was the same. B-U-T it had to be registered AS a trike from new. They did this on the MP3 with dealer fit wheel spcers to kick the track width out and make the bike a trike under C&U regs, hence subject to car licencing (and road tax) as well as make it helmet exempt. B-U-T only applied to MP3's dealer fitted with the spacers before registration... retrospective modification required them to be re-registered and SVA testes as a 'home built vehicle' and demanded more convoluted red tape than chopping the GRP off a plastic pig, as many trike builders had been doing for decades... so there are a lot of very questionable MP3's out there that are neither fish nor, and riders, trying to exploit the loop-holes to ride what is ostensibly a twist and go scouter.... on a car licence without even a rash hat, let alone a CBT or licence! Which begs the question really.. 'Why?!?' but still...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 23 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^

load of crap

piaggio never built the 125cc mp3 as a legal version

only the 400mp33 came as the LT version which had a slightly woder track on the front making it a trike
gilera also built the 500cc fucou as the LT version

the standard ones were too narrow and had to have a bike licence to ride them but could be converted with wheel spacers problem with this is you quite often got a tug (ooo er) as police didn't realise
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:17 - 23 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
piaggio never built the 125cc mp3 as a legal version

No, And I never said they did.
The wheel spacers AFAIK were a dealer fit 'option', which if fitted before that same dealer, who had to fit them, registered it, could let it be registered as a trike rather than a bike.... hence be driven on a car licence without a skid-lid.. if you are daft enough...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:58 - 23 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Amendment) Regulations 2014 says car drivers can again have a tricycle licence to go on it.

Teflon-Mike wrote:
[so there are a lot of very questionable MP3's out there that are neither fish nor, and riders, trying to exploit the loop-holes to ride what is ostensibly a twist and go scouter.... on a car licence without even a rash hat, let alone a CBT or licence! Which begs the question really.. 'Why?!?' but still...

because it means people don't need to fork out 600+ for a proper bike licence they don't need and by rights should apply to apply the MP3s and similar rides.

andyscooter wrote:
^^^^^^^
he standard ones were too narrow and had to have a bike licence to ride them but could be converted with wheel spacers problem with this is you quite often got a tug (ooo er) as police didn't realise

The only thing I've heard about that was some other case involving multiple wheels on the same axle on trucks.

Does anyone know if there was a specific case on tricycles?

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:49 - 06 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

These trikes get a lot of hate but I have only heard good things about them.

The issue I have is they are overly expensive for a 125.
When you are driving a 125 and a scooter at that you should buy something simple and cheap to run and reliable.

I do not think the MP3/Tricity is any of these things.
Personally I'd just get a Vespa or similar.
Because the stability argument is a bit of a non-starter. and that is the only real argument for having one.

I'd say though that the 500cc version looks good though and I know these have a crazy amount of understorage space.

I'll just add that I do not think it is a crazy purchase though.
That is reserved for people who spend almost £5000 for a YZF r125. Mr. Green
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-Yamaha-YZF-R125-Moto-GP-Crescent-Edition/193096130384?hash=item2cf56d1f50:g:bfYAAOSwvhtdoeNp

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 07 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
I'll just add that I do not think it is a crazy purchase though.
That is reserved for people who spend almost £5000 for a YZF r125. Mr. Green
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-Yamaha-YZF-R125-Moto-GP-Crescent-Edition/193096130384?hash=item2cf56d1f50:g:bfYAAOSwvhtdoeNp

"We look forward to hearing from you!"

I bet they do. £5195. Not today, thank you. Nor any other day.

Edit: Sod that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2