BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Drink Driving

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:02 - 22 Dec 2019    Post subject: Drink Driving Reply with quote

Got back from my works Christmas do last night, and I just want to warn everyone to be careful about drink driving. We're getting very close to Christmas and the police are out in numbers checking on drivers.

Last night I was out for a few drinks. One thing led to another and I had a few too many beers and then went onto the Whisky. Not a good idea I know, but knowing I was over the limit I left my car where it was and took a bus home. Sure enough, I passed a police check point where they were pulling over drivers and doing breath tests. Naturally, the bus just got waved past and I arrived home safely and quicker than I would have done in the car. Which was a nice surprise as I've never driven a bus before and I'm not even sure where I got it from.

Have a good Christmas. Wink

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 22 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you are saying is, if you want to drink drive, just steal a bus to get home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 22 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thumbs Up make sure you go to the right house as well, you don’t won’t to wake up next to someone else’s wife or husband! Shocked

Last edited by pepperami on 15:06 - 23 Dec 2019; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 22 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you nicked a bus that was the right route number to get you home Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 22 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get pulled for drink driving & over the limit, you deserve all you get

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 22 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Laughing Thumbs Up make you go to the right house as well, you don’t won’t to wake up next to someone else’s wife or husband! Shocked

Well, husbands I agree, but wives Wub

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 22 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always worked on eight hours after the last drink plus an hour per unit to sober up.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:50 - 22 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is advising to not drink and drive at this time of years as likelihood of being nicked is higher than at other times.

Choose when you drink and drive carefully. 😎

Or if you want to protect your licence, have a matendrink and drive you places. 👍(Providing he is fully licensed to drive and you are 100% oblivious to his her condition.)

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 23 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the North East of England the police are having many more of these random stop and check points. I see people complaining about them but FFS I'd rather they caught those people drink driving.

Son now drives buses and just the other morning he was stopped at 4.30 am heading into work by police and breath tested - he doesn't drink but you can see the police are looking for those hungover from the night before too.

As for actual drink drivers? Two weeks ago, a woman I know was at a house party with her new but complete nugget boyfriend. They had an argument and she decided to drive the car instead of leaving it and walking home. She also attempted to run that boyfriend over. It was in a cul-de-sac, her car a new BMW on finance and during her drink (probably drugs too) induced rage she's managed to flatten many garden fences, smash up several other cars and finally put her own car through the corner of someones house. Everything was filmed by neighbours security cameras. Yes she was arrested.
I'm not exaggerating but she thinks she can get off because one of her children has asthma and attends a clinic every 6 months!!
Whilst waiting for her January court appearance she's literally asking friends if they'll be a guarantor for a new car for her..
Her life is headed for the gutter.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 23 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
In the North East of England the police are having many more of these random stop and check points. I see people complaining about them but FFS I'd rather they caught those people drink driving.

Son now drives buses and just the other morning he was stopped at 4.30 am heading into work by police and breath tested - he doesn't drink but you can see the police are looking for those hungover from the night before too.

As for actual drink drivers? Two weeks ago, a woman I know was at a house party with her new but complete nugget boyfriend. They had an argument and she decided to drive the car instead of leaving it and walking home. She also attempted to run that boyfriend over. It was in a cul-de-sac, her car a new BMW on finance and during her drink (probably drugs too) induced rage she's managed to flatten many garden fences, smash up several other cars and finally put her own car through the corner of someones house. Everything was filmed by neighbours security cameras. Yes she was arrested.
I'm not exaggerating but she thinks she can get off because one of her children has asthma and attends a clinic every 6 months!!
Whilst waiting for her January court appearance she's literally asking friends if they'll be a guarantor for a new car for her..

You tube?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 24 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove drunk once, and was all over the place. it was on grand theft auto 3 with a steering wheel on the PS2 though

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:11 - 24 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never for many years driven after more than a pint, but years ago when I was out in clubs with my mates id stop drinking at 1am and then drive home from where I'd left my car at a mates house at 6am after 3-4 glasses of water, which was probably no help but still.

I've only ever knowingly ridden a bike once after several pints, and ill never forget coming out of a busy petrol station as a police car pulled in. Luckily they went straight into the shop to speak to the cashier. I didn't even do up my helmet and rode off while I had a chance. I turned off the main road down some narrow county lanes, gave it a quick blast up to 70-80 and pulled into a narrow farm track to do up my lid.

I was shaking by that time realising how close I'd come to getting caught. I had to sit down for about 15min to calm down enough to ride home, and I don't think I got back on my bike for nearly a week out of guilt.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:04 - 24 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No video has surfaced yet A100man. I'm told that police literally pulled up just as she became wedged in the corner of the house - they'd been patrolling nearby. I was also told they took the security footage as evidence but I'm sure some will have been kept by house owners. If it doesn't surface soon then it will be released by police to the press once she's been in court.
The woman is self-employed and runs a gym. She also trains clients privately and lack of her car licence will hit her hard. She deserves it.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:01 - 24 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work on vehicle recovery for the Police contract & have many tales to tell about how drink driving affects lives. Sobers you up & I don't care what anyone says, the limit should be zero & 24hrs throttle to bottle.

Most drink drivers are habitual, they drink drive regular & they're difficult to catch. If the Police were to stop every car coming off a housing estate any day between 4-8am the hit rate would be 40%+, but these aren't the drivers the Police are looking for.

An old favourite trick is to abandon the car if anything happened on the journey & leg it to a mates house to sober up before reporting the car stolen. Meanwhile, we'd go pick the car up & they say that drunks can't smell their own alcohol but the instant you open the cars door it hits you straight in the face. Classic signs are mobile phone & fast food in the footwell, sometimes even a wallet or handbag.

The Police can't get the evidence to prosecute when it happens like this, but we not the Police & all the evidence we need is right there.

Back at the yard the car has 4x flat tyres & battery. If it's not a write off it soon will be, we'd hammer the roof in above the drivers seat, run the fork lift blades down the sills & into the A & B posts. A handfull of gravel in the oil filler & rip a few wires from the electronics.

Best thing is nobody ever saw us do this, no evidence see . . .

When the piSS heads finally got 'round to inspecting or picking up their car, you could almost see their lips moving "I didn't leave it like that".

We did £40k Porsches to £40 Corsas we really didn't care, dealing with the aftermath of some of the crashes caused by drink drivers does that to you.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 24 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother was killed by a drink driver.
I hope he dies in a particularly nasty way.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 24 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^and that has completely ruined my anecdote.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 24 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth noting that reducing the "limit" in Scotland to lower than the rest of the UK has made little if any difference to the accident rate, for various reasons.

The problem is not generally the sober bloke who goes out and drinks 2 pints of ordinary-strength bitter or pint of strong beer or cider, it's those who are well over the limit, or driving at multiple levels of the limit.

Intrerestingly, the TRL and others worldwide have determined that driving behaviour is impaired more during a phone conversation, even hands-free, than by having a blood alcohol level at the UK legal limit. I suspect this is the next target for legislation. The Transport Committe report, ‘Road Safety: driving while using a mobile phone’, also points to evidence showing the use of a hands-free device creates the same crash risk.The Transport Committee are recommending that the ban on hand-held devices should be extended to hands-free phones (Aug 2019 report).

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:41 - 24 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
It is worth noting that reducing the "limit" in Scotland to lower than the rest of the UK has made little if any difference to the accident rate, for various reasons.

The problem is not generally the sober bloke who goes out and drinks 2 pints of ordinary-strength bitter or pint of strong beer or cider, it's those who are well over the limit, or driving at multiple levels of the limit.

That "paper" (which I am assuming you are referencing) has some pretty glaring issues. They don't even try to pick apart general RTAs from those associated with drink-driving, they simply looked at overall RTAs and sale of alcohol (while assuming they correlate enough to be able to draw meaningful conclusions). While it's not unreasonable to assume that a reduction in drink driving would lead to an overall drop in RTAs, they haven't made any attempt to justify that. For all we know drink driving has fallen off a cliff and other causes have taken up the slack. It's almost certainly not the case but they haven't even tried to ascertain the difference (and that data is available)

While we are on that research...... those p-values are fucking usless. Only one is under 5% (drop in capita on-trade sales) and one is right on the border at 5%. These, combined with, frankly, very sweeping statements that don't make any distinction between correlation and causation make these results rather sketchy looking. If I had turned in data like that at any point beyond high-school I would have expected to get a right (rhetorical) bollicking.

Having said all that, a lower limit wouldn't really be expected to reduce drink-driving, since (as you point out) that rests on the assumption that a significant proportion of drink drive accidents are caused by people just below the current limit...which doesn't seem that likely.

Of course, that is just speculation since Plod Scotland haven't bothered to enforce it very hard.

Riejufixing wrote:
Intrerestingly, the TRL and others worldwide have determined that driving behaviour is impaired more during a phone conversation, even hands-free, than by having a blood alcohol level at the UK legal limit. I suspect this is the next target for legislation. The Transport Committe report, ‘Road Safety: driving while using a mobile phone’, also points to evidence showing the use of a hands-free device creates the same crash risk.The Transport Committee are recommending that the ban on hand-held devices should be extended to hands-free phones (Aug 2019 report).

That's not news. I recall reading something similar years ago, the upshot being that (adjusting for the knob jockeys that are actually browsing their phone while driving) the problem with mobiles was the distraction that the conversation caused to the driver. Of course, the ramifications of this are that you shouldn't be allowed to talk to passengers while driving but good luck stopping that.

Also....how on earth would they be able to stop you using hands-free? Seems by its nature that would be almost impossible to spot and considering the far more obvious "using a phone while driving" persists I wouldn't expect them to do any better with hands free.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:04 - 25 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

They say you can spot the driver who's had just a few drinks, they the ones driving carefully !

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 25 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They definitely try to over compensate but being under the influence takes away their ability to be able to do two things at once.
They either speed and keep on a good line or rigidly stick to the limit but they're all over the place.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 25 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hands free on my car is just touching a button on the steering wheel, nothing crash inducing there or I wouldn't be able to turn the radio up, alter the cruise control or do anything else that involes button pushing.

If we are talking about concentration, then as Falco says, where do you draw a line? Gag every passenger so they can't talk to the driver? No radio incase it makes people think about what's on rather than their driving?

Ban driving, that will save more lives.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:31 - 25 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drink driving will no longer be a thing once self driving cars are a thing. Thumbs Up

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 25 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Drink driving will no longer be a thing once self driving cars are a thing. Thumbs Up

Only about a hundred years left then.

I highly doubt we'll be at a level where cars are autonomous enough to transport a drunkard home without them being prosecuted for being pissed up in a vehicle which they could still take control of in an emergency.

I would envisage every single vehicle on the road would have to be totally autonomous and without any ability for passengers to take control of the vehicle for this to be a thing. Most likely having every car linked to a central control AI rather than every car having the ability to make it's own decisions is the only way this would happen. At the present moment, it is the unpredictability of human drivers combined with the lack of ability for autonomous vehicle to deal with said unpredictability which is the major hold up for cars that drive 'themselves'.

That and the inability for the average Tesla to avoid a fucking great Semi because the sun is in it's eyes. And then the resulting Lithium battery fire to take about 3 days to extinguish itself.

Till then, i'd stay off the booze.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:02 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Sounds like my kind of woman. (PM me her details. The nugget can watch us if he wants to.)

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN I'm tempted to! Her gym website is so neglected - just like her life. I see too many women get 'into' booze and ruin everything they worked so hard to achieve.

I made inquiries: Her court appearance was originally January and has been moved to February for reasons unknown. I dunno if she's mounting some ballsup defense or if the courts are chocka with drink drivers caught before her.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2