Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The penny has dropped.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

hume
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:45 - 24 Dec 2019    Post subject: The penny has dropped. Reply with quote

Several months back I was complaining how other riders (even those on L Plates) were comfortable at speeds 40+. In the last couple of days I joined them. This is not to say I can weave in and out of traffic while at those speeds as they do. But I've somehow grown accustomed to 40mph.
This coincided with me using an A road and having to reach speeds of 50mph.
This A road is the approach to the Blackwall Tunnel and I've only ever been on it three times. The first time with the wind and cars flying past me, my nerves got the better of me and I could barely do anything over 40mph.
The second time under those same conditions I reached 47mph, though not for long before dropping to 42mph.
The third time I hit 50mph and dropped to 46mph, maintaining it.

I've noticed riding in built up area I ride with my fingers over the clutch. Which I was doing on this particular A road until it occurred to me, wasn't the right way to go about things. I now grip the clutch side handle (not tight, but firm) which gives me a greater sense of stability.
Whilst riding at 50mph in fifth gear I heard the engine scream and the rev light come on. Which alerted me to the fact I needed sixth gear.

As a new rider the need for control is key. But in some situations I've had no comforting level of control and have had to trust those around me as well as what I was doing was adequate in as far as lane discipline and speed were concerned. This loss of apprehension is intoxicating.

I've written this partly for new riders who worry about the psychology of riding and to use my experience as a gauge of their own progression.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 24 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of it's down to the bike. My old 125 wasn't much fun over 50mph but I was quite happy to cut up vans at 70 on an MT07 during my Mod 2 training Smile A nice ~650cc bike just feels like it can tackle things and that helps with confidence.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:59 - 24 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth remembering that if someone was to teleport you off your bike at 50mph. It would keep going in a straight line until it hit something. Gripping the bars is good. But loosely. Most of the time, the bike does not need your input.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 00:10 - 25 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all changed since I learned to ride. 3 times round the playing field and then fucking off down the road before the bikes owner got a chance to stop you......

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:07 - 25 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to fancy pants up there with 6 gears ^^

Relax and ride - that's the key.
(obviously not to the point of falling asleep)

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 25 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

the less tight you hold the bars, the happier the bike will be

and also this has the added bonus that your hands won't get knackered - cramping pains are common amongst those who white-knuckle the bars

with relaxed hands your arms will also be easier to relax, and from there, your shoulders too - once this happens, the bike really will start to ride better, particularly when cornering

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 25 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your controls are set for you and work for you.

Whenever I get a bike, I have to move the controls. I'm 6'3", with long arms, and the position of controls need to be rotated down for me. If I don't do that, I fight the bike, lock my arms and do all sorts of silly things, despite being on/around the bikes for over quarter of a century.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:07 - 25 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont need to hold the clutch while moving or grip hard as said above. if you watch some advanced riding videos even experienced riders were told to drop there elbows so not pressing on the bars etc.
and rightly said too the bike will run on its own at speed.

Im new too but feel comfy at 60/70 on correct roads and now relax. I do hate the roads that have cuts in them, or badly seemed tarmac, they seem to fling the bike all over and although avoiding is best, a road i went on yesterday seemed designed to make my life hard work lol. was gripping a bit then. Keep it up, playing safe is best and not copying the guys who are great in traffic, filtering scares me shitless

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:31 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, those wobbly bits in the road are a lot worse in daylight Smile Go down the same roads in the dark and I don't tend to notice!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:45 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always ride with a couple of fingers over both the clutch and front brake if I am in traffic or in town. I was never taught it cause you could ride 250's on L plates with no training when I was sweet seventeen. It's just something I've picked up.

Even on a big beast like my Trophy the brakes are so powerful I really don't need more than a couple of fingers to get the ABS to kick in.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1