BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Passwords

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Passwords Reply with quote

Bloody passwords, I have thousands of them bloody thousands and can't remember whats for what. Then I have to reset and get another bloody password. Fucking Geeks need killing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enter password. Wrong.
Enter password. Wrong.
Enter password. Wrong.

Reset password.

Choose the password you were using.

Cannot use a previous password.

My old job as a supervisor did my head in, I was supposed to
act as a consultant advisor, but spent most of my time as unofficial IT support. Passwords had to he changed every 60 days, and 90% of the team would cock this up like clockwork.

Caps Lock on was a favourite error of one bloke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it easier to have a password that has a letters and numbers in it that's easy to remember and then add a word to the end of it for each purpose

ಠ_ಠ

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's supposed to be just as good to use a simple phrase like BCFisWicked but they sometimes insist on symbols and numbers, luckily chrome or firefox is rememberingest. Usually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a password manager you fucking numpties

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=password+managers

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Use a password manager you fucking numpties

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=password+managers

Then they wouldn't have something to moan about! Cool

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:39 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for a diceware password https://diceware.dmuth.org/ if you want something that's easier to remember than one from www.strongpasswordgenerator.com

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Password manager FTW. Keepass is very good and it's free too. Thumbs Up

Also choose passwords that are long but memorable rather than overly complex. Three words that aren't associated plus an optional number and/or special character works well.

https://www.xkcd.com/936/

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:38 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I'd encourage people to have suitably long, secure passwords with a combination of upper case letters, lower case letters, numbers and symbols or special characters. For things that aren't important I just 'password' as my password and I haven't had any problems. Laughing

Passwords don't get hacked, they get harvested when people are careless with them or when websites have data breaches. You avoid those problems from happening by being careful what websites you enter your login details to and by not reusing (important) passwords.

Keeping your password secure is down to you as you can have a 50 character password that's never going to be brute forced but if you use the same password everywhere and are generally careless with it then you might as well just use 'password' as your password. Razz

Use two factor authentication for everything that offers it. Thumbs Up

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 26 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
As much as I'd encourage people to have suitably long, secure passwords with a combination of upper case letters, lower case letters, numbers and symbols or special characters. For things that aren't important I just 'password' as my password and I haven't had any problems. Laughing

Passwords don't get hacked, they get harvested when people are careless with them or when websites have data breaches. You avoid those problems from happening by being careful what websites you enter your login details to and by not reusing (important) passwords.

Keeping your password secure is down to you as you can have a 50 character password that's never going to be brute forced but if you use the same password everywhere and are generally careless with it then you might as well just use 'password' as your password. Razz

Use two factor authentication for everything that offers it. Thumbs Up

Yep, this is pretty much spot on. I use a trivial throwaway password for all the unimportant stuff and a series of decent passwords for the important stuff. I use a password manager because I do have a largish number of passwords - mainly for work.

Multi-factor is definitely the best protection where it's available. Thumbs Up

Attackers occasionally do try using the commonly used passwords for credential stuffing attacks as do friends trying to play jokes so I'd probably avoid those (unless it's for something you really don't care about). Laughing

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:26 - 27 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Use a password manager you fucking numpties.....

This^

Make sure you will remember the master password. Don't use something
really silly like your car reg or your dogs name. Use something you will
remember like "sparkpluggap1mm".

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:40 - 27 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bad when you work in a secure environment you can't use third party managers like password manager or things like that (as security risk supposedly)

It's best to write all 300 passwords that keep changing down somewhere safe........oh no wait.....not supposed to do that Doh!

god you can't win

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 27 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
duhawkz wrote:
Use a password manager you fucking numpties.....

This^

Make sure you will remember the master password. Don't use something
really silly like your car reg or your dogs name. Use something you will
remember like "sparkpluggap1mm".

I think you'll find it's 1.6mm. Cool

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 27 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WreckTangle wrote:
It's bad when you work in a secure environment you can't use third party managers like password manager or things like that (as security risk supposedly)

It's best to write all 300 passwords that keep changing down somewhere safe........oh no wait.....not supposed to do that Doh!

god you can't win

I'm an Information Security manager and positively encourage the use of password managers. I don't mind them being written down either as long as they're kept safe and not on Post-Its on the monitor or desk Razz

It's even written in our staff guidance and most of my contacts in the profession are the same. You must have a bit of a Neanderthal for a security manager.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:11 - 27 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Keeping your password secure is down to you as you can have a 50 character password that's never going to be brute forced but if you use the same password everywhere and are generally careless with it then you might as well just use 'password' as your password. Razz:

Password1.

Gotta get that capital and digit in there.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 27 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ste wrote:

Keeping your password secure is down to you as you can have a 50 character password that's never going to be brute forced but if you use the same password everywhere and are generally careless with it then you might as well just use 'password' as your password. Razz:

Password1.

Gotta get that capital and digit in there.

Psh. n00b. Pa55w0rd1 as eny ful kno. Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 27 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a perfectly good section for this sort of Geekery.
But.
Since its Christmas time and the mods are obviously lying pished somewhere I'm going to go easy on karma-bashing (as its Christmas.).

🎅🎅🎅

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 28 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
But.
Since its Christmas time and the mods are obviously lying pished somewhere I'm going to go easy on karma-bashing (as its Christmas.).

🎅🎅🎅

Shouldn't you be in a corner somewhere sobbing about #indyref43 and the failed 42 that went before?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 28 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
MCN wrote:
But.

🎅🎅🎅

Shouldn't you be in a corner somewhere sobbing about #indyref43 and the failed 42 that went before?

You are MPH 72 and I will not be drawn Sir.

Folded arms

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:16 - 28 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP Donk D

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:55 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Password manager FTW. Keepass is very good and it's free too. Thumbs Up

Also choose passwords that are long but memorable rather than overly complex. Three words that aren't associated plus an optional number and/or special character works well.

https://www.xkcd.com/936/

Yep, How people manage without one I'll never know.

I've been using KeyPass for getting on 5 years or so, couldn't live without it now...take it with me.

Take the time to set it up properly with categories and lists, text areas allow you to add all sorts of info that is priceless, several years down the line. The only password you'll need to remember is the bloody long one to get in it.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how can you be absolutely sure that password manager apps aren't sending your passwords somewhere? Wink

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

B@5t@rd1.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:06 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
So how can you be absolutely sure that password manager apps aren't sending your passwords somewhere? Wink

I use Eset Security Suite with Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS), which lets me set up rules for any application that attempts to communicate with or use another program local or remote. I set the rule to permanently deny any comms. You usually have to set all the rules whenever a new program is installed or updated, can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but I hate the thought of issues like you just mentioned.

I use Windows 7, stopped updating it three years ago. I reckon considering the trouble MS had with XP and getting people to upgrade to WIN8/8.1/10 they'll screw WIN7 long before the support stops.

I did get the first version of KeyPass, and refuse to update it, because it started getting too bloated & gimmicky for my liking, it was simple & did what I wanted, that's it.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

Shhhhh. Don't give the game away. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2