Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Direct Access...? I have a few questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

jospanner
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:19 - 28 Dec 2019    Post subject: Direct Access...? I have a few questions Reply with quote

Hi! I'm sorry if this is a bit of a ramble.

I passed the CBT back at the start of October and got myself a little YBR 125. I've also held a car license for 10 years. I'm 30.

I'm looking at getting my full license, and I'm confused and nervous about the whole thing. I'm not a particularly healthy person in general, to be honest, but I know how to work within my limits and get things done.

I found the CBT to be extremely stressful. Damn near put me off. Way too much for me in one day. It feels like I forgot most of it. Only once I got my own bike and started riding on my own did I feel vaguely confident in what I was doing and start learning.

Back when I was working on my car license, I found the hour-at-a-time approach so much easier and less stressful. I'd go out with the instructor, focus on some things, and come back. I'd then be able to let it 'sit' in my head overnight until it all became automatic. I am a lot more experienced on the road than I was back then, of course. I don't have to think twice about how the roads, you know, work. But still.

I don't know, maybe I just don't learn that quickly.

Now I'm looking up getting my full license and they're talking about it in terms of day-at-a-time courses, and I'm getting flashbacks to struggling with the CBT and it is just not inspiring a lot of confidence.

Is that really how this works? It sounds like those dodgy "learn to drive in 3 days" things.

I'm worried I'll blow a lot of money on a lot of instruction and get very little out of it (again). I suppose I'm looking for reassurance. Neutral

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 28 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaining a full license is not at all like the CBT, and thankfully due to your age you only have to do it once (category A).

The full license works in terms of days, mostly. In general 3-5 days is what I'd call the average. You start at 9 and end at 4 (roughly, depending on the school etc).

The CBT is all the basics cramped into one day; but on the full licence its mostly riding on the road, some board work during lunch and some dancing around the test pad or a car park laid out like the test pad: to confuse the two would be a mistake.

There's usually no more than two pupils to an instructor for the entire day, and you'll swap between riding in front of the instructor and behind (pupil > instructor > pupil).

You can take as many days as you want, but locally a day was something like £170-180 so it pays to get it over with sooner rather than later.

So, to clarify, the full license "days" are longer with more road riding and less to take in. Its more about position, shoulder checks and improving your standard to pass the examiner who takes you for your road ride at the test centre. You'll have more advanced riding techniques thrown in from time to time as you chat with the examiner, but only things that will help you rather than overloading you with information.

The CBT doesn't really do alot for anyone, don't worry about it.

Phone a trusted school, use one day of training to assess you and then see how many days they recommend. They do this for a living, remember. Some schools like to start you off on a 125 for the first day and then swap you over, or if they trust you just throw you straight on.

Remember you do training > module 1 > training and then module 2. Module 1 takes about 20 mins once on the test pad and during training very little attention is played to it compared to the road riding.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:40 - 29 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have benefited with the old system, where you could sit your test on your own bike, be restricted for 2 years then do what you want.

I’m seriously hoping the Torys will bring it back in, now we are leaving the EU.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 29 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local bike school did a deal where you get to ride around on their bikes for half an hour for a tenner. Might want to ask any prospective school if they'll do the same. That way you get to meet the instructors and see if you think you'll get on with them and their bikes and they get to gauge how much training you'll need.

Even if they don't do such a deal I can't see it being a problem if you ask if you can drop in and see them training other people. The main thing is to go into it in a relaxed manner - you'll learn more that way - and do what you can to facilitate that before dropping the big money Smile

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:40 - 29 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one 'makes' you ride a motor-bike, less takle a motorbike test, less still an 'intensive' 3 or 5-day DAS course with tests included.

Point of order: DAS is the Direct Access Scheme, it ia but three provisions of the test rules that have been in force for the last twenty years or more; basically if over a certain age, used to be 21, now 19/21 for A2 or 24 for unrestricted A, you 'MAY' and I emphasise the possibility rather than the mandatory, but you may train on a bike larger than 125cc and more powerful than A1 limits allow, IF under the supervision of a card carrying DSA approved 'instructor'. That is the first provision. 2nd is that you may take the full motorcycle test on that larger than 125cc motorcycle, under same rules, as you are essentially under the supervision of the examiner. 3rd provision.... pass tests on larger bike.... you get larger bike licence.. used to be the ful-fat Ride-what-you-like A entitlement, now either A2 or RWYL A/A3.

There is NO compunction to do a course... of course without a course there is the small matter of hopw you would do any practice on a big-bike for tests, and how would you get a big-bike to the test center, with all necessary paper work, like insurance cert, to do the test on, without doing a course or using a school's bike.... it is not impossible.. but it os often impracticable. especially to go from zero to hero in a oner, rather than say A2 to RWYL 'A'... but still.... as said theres the Direct Access Scheme.... which is DSA rules, then there are DAS courses, which are run by independent schools and exploit them DSA rules.

Point of post; HE who pays the Piper.... calls the tune... you are paying the pip[er or at least the school, so you call the tune!

The 3 or 5 day intensive course, is TBH the barest bit of training to get you through tests, and IMO they are often a loss leader to get you through the door, when it'll be suggested, probably quite strongly that you'll need X many extra days of training to get up to pass standard.... or they let you take your chances, and pay for extra test days after.... £200 a pop for a couple of accompanied MOD 1 test/lessons usually gets students listening, I'm told!!! But, the all in one course gets you though the door gets you on course and gets you started... after that its just when and how much....

The actual tests, Mod 1 on the playground, round the cones, and Mod 2 on the road dodging busses, ARE the exact same tests whether you do them on a 500 for an A2 on a 650 for RWYL'A' or on your own 125 for an A2 licence..... take note THEY ARE THE SAME TESTS.....

More they cost exactly the same whetever bike you take them on. Check DSA webby for curent prices, ut OTMH they are aproc £30 for the Theory/Hazard, most schools will ecpect you tro have self booked, taken and passed before attending a DAS course, as you dont need a bike for it, there's little they can teach you for it other than sit you at a computer with a practice disk, and not having it can rather eff-up getting on with the rest.

As such, if planning tests, I would suggest you start there, and get a practice disc, and self book a Theory/Haz test and see how you go.... repeat until you have a pass cert. THEN worry about booking courses..

A-N-D having self booked and taken the Theory/Ha
z... why stop there.... you have the bike, you have a PC you should have Theory/Haz cert in your pocket... so carry on... self book your Mod 1 for A1 on your own 125.. you can ride yourself to the test, and take it, and it only costs something daft like £15.. and there's no practice like the real thing... and of you can do the cones opn a 125 you aught be able top do them on anything.

After that an A2 Mod 2 is a tad expensive at about £75... but again, its the exact same test just on the bike you should already be familiar and comfy with...

Get it, and well.. Oh-Kay its 'oiwnlee' an A1-125 only licence, but a lot of 125's are still as fast as any motorbike is legally allowed to go in this country... miune sure is, and its a thirty year old four-stroke!!! You may not want or need to take a higher licence... but IF you do.... you KNOW you can pass the tests, you will be a full motorcycle licence holder before you start, and the scholol and examiner should know that too... so not need to teach you to suck eggs too much... a;l; you should need is a little time to get familiar and comfy with a bigger heavier and more powerful bike... and go do what you already done to get the full-fat RWYL 'A' entitlement... and not be so phased by chap in the test centre asking to see your docs or go start your machine... you'll have already experienced that!

If you are not a fast learner. I would strongly suggest you consider it... a large chunk of the cost of a DAS course is paying the wages of a DSA qualified and approved 'instructor' for littl;e more than watching you wobble, and fulfilling DSA requirements of 'Supervision' to let you be on a big bike you have no licence for in the first place, a buit more, is for the hire of that bike you dont have licence for.... so not a LOT is actually paying for esential learning to teach you to ride. and of what learning there is in the course a fair chunk IS essentially just 'test-tips' to help you pas the exam.. but if you already done them? you should know the score, and the 'value' in full DAS course some-what questionable...

But its your alll.. but you have the bike, you have to do Theory/Haz regardless, what have you got to loose? Its less than £100 of test fees to get an A1, self booked, its a heck of a lot cheaper than £300 a day rate repeats of Mod 1's, and a hell of a lot of confidence and experience for your money.. even of you FAIL, examiner tells you exactingly what on and what to brush up, rather then an instructor having to guess what you 'might' fail on..

You got a 125 bike, you got a computer, so give it a go...Stop procrastinating and thinking about it.... go do it!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:03 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

some schools say its 3,4 or 5 days, but that doesn't mean its all at once. I did 4 days but over 2 months or so, in 3 or 4 hr blocks. i agree the CBT is intense when not used to being back on a bike.

Also some offer guarantee pass, cost more of course. I found the course brilliant and the learning was great. also used youtube for alot of things too mod1 advice etc.

good luck

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did ~4 days altogether for Mod 1 and 2 (that includes the test days so 1 day training, 1 day on the road to the test centre for each module) and I can't say it felt "intense" Thinking

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leearchertog wrote:
I did 4 days but over 2 months or so

A very good point; and its like because, as I say above, there's usually only two pupils to an examiner for the entire day. Multiply that by how many people wish to attend and its easy to see why their calendar and yours can be difficult to merge.

My local school only did tests on certain days, or mornings. I don't recall accurately but it was a pain attempting to fit into their schedule. From what I could gather they worked on a set-in-stone rota: CBT's on certain days, training on certain days etc. Not helpful for you, but gives you an insight into how it works for them.

I'd recommend that you do a day of training close to, or just before, your Module one test, and the same with the Module 2, but any other days you take can be done at your leisure. I remember doing my first bits of training and feeling like a different person afterwards with the knowledge I had versus what I thought I knew riding around on just a CBT. The gap in time between training days can be useful as you ride around on your own and put into application what you've been taught about positing etc.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:59 - 31 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

the above reminds me that this time of year is good, as not alot are on the course due to weather, which meant i had my last few sessions 1 on 1. A big help i thought, in summer there probably will be 4 or more on a session, we only had 2 instructors who can take 2 pupils.

i know weather is crap, roads damp, but learn now and summer will be a breeze.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 115 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1