Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Easyjet & Taking helmet in the cabin

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bofh5
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Easyjet & Taking helmet in the cabin Reply with quote

Hi all
I'm off to the Monegros Desert in April and will be flying with Easyjet.
Have searched but many conflicting reports on taking your lid on board.
I don't fancy it going in the hold so am trying to find anyone who has actually flown with Easyjet and taken their lid in the cabin.
Ta

Bikes: Honda 50 / CB125-TDC / 93 CBR600 F2 (Stolen & Trashed) / 2001 SP-1 (Sold) / 95 CBR600 F3

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Easyjet & Taking helmet in the cabin Reply with quote

Bofh5 wrote:
Have searched but many conflicting reports on taking your lid on board.
I don't fancy it going in the hold so am trying to find anyone who has actually flown with Easyjet and taken their lid in the cabin.

It may well be down to the individual check-in operator on the day. I've researched this online a bit myself, as I need to take my own lid on a plane next weekend - not with Easyjet though. I emailed the airline and will be carrying a printout of their (affirmative) reply; however from experience I wouldn't hold your breath for a reply from EasyJet!

I can tell you that I once had to take my airbag vest on an EasyJet at short notice (I was injured following an 'off' overseas), and they refused point blank to let me take the little gas cylinder on board in either my checked bag or hand baggage, so that got binned... I looked into it afterwards and I would have been perfectly within CAA rules to have taken it on board.

One tip I came across was not to try to carry the helmet 'loose' on board as it might get banned for looking 'scary' or potentially being an offensive weapon or something daft - best to put it in a bag of some sort. I've bought an Oxford Lidstash which loooks pretty good - I don't know whether it fits within EasyJet's size limits though.

Bofh5
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Cheers
Good to know at least one airline is ok with it.
I'll email easyjet although as you said chances of a reply are slim.
I'll stick it in a helmet bag and strap to the outside of my backpack then just hope for the best.
Might also bring along a roll of bubble wrap just in case Rolling Eyes

Bikes: Honda 50 / CB125-TDC / 93 CBR600 F2 (Stolen & Trashed) / 2001 SP-1 (Sold) / 95 CBR600 F3

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear it and dribble, they'll pop you in a chair with wheels and board you first.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Bofh5
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Wear it and dribble, they'll pop you in a chair with wheels and board you first.

I was thinking of just wearing it during check in, security and boarding. I'll claim it's personal protection and not a judgement on queasyjet pilots Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:59 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your backpack with the lid strapped to it is bigger than the hand luggage allowance of 56 x 45 x 25 cm then then they won't let you take that on as hand luggage regardless of anything else.

If it can go in your backpack then I can't see there being any problems.

Bofh5
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ste Smile
Been a while. Yep it will be tight Wink but just under the 25 cm.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried it but I would have thought anything more than a handbag size would need to go in the locker - so it couldn't fly around the cabin when you plunge into the sea.
Whether it would fit or not especially in a bag would be hard to judge without trying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:54 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just say to one of the cabin staff "have you got somewhere I can put my helmet" From my experience of cabin staff I'm sure one of them will be happy to oblige. Shocked

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 31 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
Just say to one of the cabin staff "have you got somewhere I can put my helmet"

Yebbut the issue will not be when he's on the plane, if he gets that far it will be fine - it will be at the check-in desk where the jobsworths might demand the helmet gets checked in Crying or Very sad

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:32 - 31 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check in desk people won't see the contents of his back pack and with easyJet you can check in online anyway.

As long as the back pack fits in the frame thing they use to check if your hand luggage is within the size limits then there's no reason for it to be a problem.

In November 2017 easyJet said you're allowed to take a ski helmet in your hand luggage: https://twitter.com/koppernob/status/933773394201513985

You'll want to be near the front of the queue for boarding the flight as your bag will have to go into the hold if they run out of space for hand luggage. If they don't like the look of you or your hand luggage for whatever reason then they can require it to go in the hold and it's not open to discussion.

They've got a list of restricted and unusual items and there's nothing on there about helmets. https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/restricted-and-unusual-items

In layman terms, a motorcycle lid is basically a piece of polystyrene so it's not nearly as dangerous as say a tube of toothpaste which is larger than 100ml. Wink

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 31 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

been there there, done that - easyJet from Berlin to London. strapped my helmet on a rucksack, way too big for their max. dimensions and was ready to call it personal protective equipment and argue till my death.

no one bothered...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
Just say to one of the cabin staff "have you got somewhere I can put my helmet" From my experience of cabin staff I'm sure one of them will be happy to oblige. Shocked

Don't worry - I got it..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This always reminds me of Ross Noble's little story about this. He was told by one airline that he couldn't carry his helmet on as hand luggage, and when he asked why, they said something vague about prevention of terrorism (yeah, go figure). But when he asked if he could wear it on, they said yes, that seemed ok!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
wintelf94 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 25 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you leaving the forum.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1