Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Great British Intelligence test

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 01 Jan 2020    Post subject: Great British Intelligence test Reply with quote

I stumbled across this earlier, its an interesting way to pass half an hour

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5tFHwWMgg9VbrHT9kvGlFqd/the-great-british-intelligence-test

Quote:
BBC Horizon and Dr Adam Hampshire at Imperial College, London want to use the results of The Great British Intelligence Test to explore how our changing behaviour and lifestyle could be affecting our brain function. Click the link below to go to Imperial's Great British Intelligence Test website. The tests give each participant feedback on how they compare to others who have taken the test, and on their cognitive strengths.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 01 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't find link.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 01 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'd expected.

Crap at planning.
Spatial intelligence not much better.
Can remember numbers.
Mental rotation piece of piss.
Verbal comprehension good.
Attention...meh.
Emotional...good.

The spider diagram was skewed to the left
Not a retard...not a genius.

Like all my school reports - Could do better...messes about in class too much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 01 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it say anything about laziness? I can't be bothered to look at it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:17 - 01 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a little adrenaline buzz.

Nothing to do with the test...Danger-wank.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:25 - 01 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is often the case, they confuse intelligence with memory and education.

You can be very intelligent and illiterate. You would fail this test.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

And what is intelligence anyway?

The dictionary definition is the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills - does that mean all knowledge and skills, or just some?

If I know all of the theory of brain surgery, but don't have the skills to apply it, does that make me unintelligent?

If I have a Masters degree in micro-biology, but can't change a light bulb (that's a first hand experienced example) does that make me unintelligent?

If I can't read or write and failed every exam I ever sat, but did an X year apprenticeship and I'm now an award winning stone mason, am I intelligent?

This is like IQ tests, means absolutely bugger all in the real world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:10 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

The dictionary definition is the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills - does that mean all knowledge and skills, or just some?

If I know all of the theory of brain surgery, but don't have the skills to apply it, does that make me unintelligent?

If I have a Masters degree in micro-biology, but can't change a light bulb (that's a first hand experienced example) does that make me unintelligent?

If I can't read or write and failed every exam I ever sat, but did an X year apprenticeship and I'm now an award winning stone mason, am I intelligent?

IQ is relevant in context.

I know some folk who are generally thick as fuck.
And other folk who are very smarts.

Intelligence in general is graded but what we use to measure is in question.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:50 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Shaft wrote:

IQ is relevant in context.

I know some folk who are generally thick as fuck.
And other folk who are very smarts.

Intelligence in general is graded but what we use to measure is in question.

Relevant in what context?

My IQ tests lead me to be invited to join MENSA, which I did - my experience of that has lead me to no conclusion that IQ is relevant anywhere.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:22 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing is we place far too much emphasis on speed of response. Not just here but in many things.

I remember hearing an interview with a professor of pure mathematics on the radio. She was advocating massively increasing the time allowed for maths exams. Her argument was that speed of calculation is utterly irrelevant, coming up with a correct and reasoned solution to the problem is the only outcome that matters.

Putting an onerous time constraint on an exam doesn't tell you how good the person is at the thing you are examining. I've done a lot of exams in my time and the vast majority of them were rushed, there wasn't enough time to get through it all to the best of my ability.

There is a good argument for allowing enough time in any test/exam for the average student to comfortably finish all the questions. I'd suggest a 50 percentile rule, the test should be long enough so 50% of the students have finished as much as they can finish, checked their paper and handed it in.

If you want to see how someone responds to pressure, you can test that too but a maths/final degree exam is not the place to do it.

I mention speed because in that test, I found the number one difficult, the numbers came past too quickly for me to take them in, I struggle with maths at the best of times and numbers just don't sit up and dance for me.

Conversely, I block-read text so I got top 5% in the word definitions one. Presumably more because I answered quickly than because of my accuracy.

The faces was interesting. I scored poorly in that but I noticed nearly all the ones I got wrong were black. There is a very different facial soft tissue and bone structure in this ethnic group and I simply do not see black people where I live (NW England and NE Scotland before then). I reckon I see a black face in the street maybe once or twice a week. I have a direct interaction with a black person maybe once a month, if that (and by direct interaction I mean even like being served in a shop or holding a door open for someone). I met my first black person at the age of five. I see them so infrequently that my brain doesn't recognise their features as a "face".

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Relevant in what context?

My IQ tests lead me to be invited to join MENSA, which I did - my experience of that has lead me to no conclusion that IQ is relevant anywhere.

Maybe we are oversimplificating the question.

In a test it is usual for the person taking the test to have had a degree of instruction in how to answer the questions. Basically something as simple as understanding the language of the test.

Or even putting shaped items in their corresponding hole. Colours with like colours.
Then patterns.

The IQ test is only a sort of measure. It just shouldn't be relied on as the only measure.

Mensa probably look for a certain type of intelligence.

You must know people who are, as most would agree, less intelligent or more intelligent than you.

Mensa is not my idea of the last thing in intelligence grading.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Stanford-Binet IQ test (143 in my case) was little more than a way to measure a brain's processing speed and had fuckall to do with 'intelligence'. I was thick as two short planks when I was made to do it (under duress/quiet protest in Borstal). The last time I did one (some online version) I scored 138 yet considered myself x100 more 'intelligent', due to gained knowledge and experience with the ability to analyse and understand the fuck out of just about anything (including knowing when I can't due to lack of data).

Then you die and who gives a shit.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one stupid enough to do the test? Very Happy Thinking Confused

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:05 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did alright... Top 5% in spatial rotation

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/greatbritishintelligencetest.png

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall you did better on the test than me, but you wouldn't tell if I was happy about that. Smile

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

>>no

>>no

>>quite possibly - you could be dyslexic

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:35 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like people saying that it makes little difference in the real world are probably deluding themselves at least a *little* bit? *cue flaming* It is a measurement, and by it's very nature it measures *something*. How closely that something is related to what you might define as 'success' in life is obviously debatable, but to say there is absolutely no link is probably missing the point somewhat. Granted, some people are lazy and some people work hard, some people find a niche that they are good at despite not doing well in IQ tests. Some people get a high paid job despite hardly being able to spell their own name, and some people build businesses up starting with their bare hands and become millionaires (although I would venture some level of IQ is probably required to do well at that). I have a very intelligent, talented and witty friend who is happy earning not a very big salary because he enjoys what he does. It frustrates him that he's not more financially successful, but ultimately he accepts that trade off. (He does have a loving wife and a pretty nice house, so it does clearly depend on how you define 'success'). Even so, there is probably a graph which shows a correlation between salary or earnings and IQ (again, if that's how you define 'success' of course).

The thing certainly with MENSA tests for example is that they are supposed to be culturally unbiassed. Obviously they rely on you generally being literate, but they usually test you in two phases, one of which is mainly numbers based and one of which is language based and then the higher of the two scores is taken.

But y'know, at the end of the day it's a number and that number helps neither your employability nor ability to attract a mate etc. Its really just for your own measurement but on that basis, it's not something a given person can just disregard as it does have some meaning. It's the relevancy of that meaning that is the issue, not the meaning itself.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:48 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a look again, and it turns out the brightness on my monitor is so low that I couldn't see the grid in the 'spatial working memory' test, which is why I found it so hard...
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:27 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I just had a look again, and it turns out the brightness on my monitor is so low that I couldn't see the grid in the 'spatial working memory' test, which is why I found it so hard...

Maybe a test in itself? Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:34 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Maybe... if I had more time to complete it I may have realised!

Any test that relies on the configuration of the equipment it's done on is flawed.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
The original Stanford-Binet IQ test (143 in my case) was little more than a way to measure a brain's processing speed and had fuckall to do with 'intelligence'. I was thick as two short planks when I was made to do it (under duress/quiet protest in Borstal). The last time I did one (some online version) I scored 138 yet considered myself x100 more 'intelligent', due to gained knowledge and experience with the ability to analyse and understand the fuck out of just about anything (including knowing when I can't due to lack of data).

Then you die and who gives a shit.

Well fuck me... We had you down as having flounced and now you're informing us that you just dieded.

😳

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I was thinking along those lines myself. Something like, "I was supposed to take a navigation test, but couldn't find the location it was being held at." Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently I understand lots of words but not how they work in conversation 😂 I blame that I'm the Mrs being a distraction and running out of time on that one🤦‍♂️

I was shit at the Tetris like test.

Top tier for some stuff, gash at others!

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.ibb.co/b7ttc1X/IMG-20200102-183434.jpg

Just goes to show we're all a bit different.

The mental rotation and attention exercises were good fun

ಠ_ಠ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 115 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2