Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Throttle not returning to idle quickly

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Throttle not returning to idle quickly Reply with quote

Ive noticed my throttle sticking. Its slow to return to the idle position. Ive lubed my clutch cable in the past. Do throttle cables need doing as well or could it be a problem with the twist grip or at the throttle body end? How much hassle to fix myself?

Its a 2013 Yamaha XJ6

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:00 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the mechanical parts slow to return or the revs?

If it's mechanical then you just need to ID the mechanical cause, which could be any part or parts of the mechanism. If it's the revs, then the bike is running too lean.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can lube them but they don't make it easy compared to a clutch.
A valid approach is to keep it dry rather than full of sticky gloop especially if the bike usually lives inside.
It could just be something worn o sticking in the actual twist grip, investigation needed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the bar end weight isn't touching it and slowing it's return.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:06 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its mechanical, I can see the grip slowly return to idle position.

I did think keeping the cable run dry was the prefered thing. Would it be OK though to try spraying a little silicone lube into the grip mechanism?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:20 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphite will work well.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:22 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

New bike. Thumbs Up

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
New bike. Thumbs Up

I've considered the VFR800 fix.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say its certainly the cable/s.

You can lube it by taking off at the throttle end, making a plastic cup out of plasticine and filling with oil, allowing it to seep down the cable overnight.

Or you can buy a cable lubricator that uses aerosol oil to force the oil through, one of these.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/LZsAAOSwpaFZyzfV/s-l400.jpg

Or, the best idea, replace the cables.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:57 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the cable has frayed it could catch on the outer sleeve, causing it to take a long time to close.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start with checking that the rubber grip isn't binding against either the body of the throttle mechanism or the bar end weight.

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:34 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If the cable has frayed it could catch on the outer sleeve, causing it to take a long time to close.

This ^^^^.
And if left and goes properly will either break and leave you stranded (!) or stick and divert you into a hedge.

So be sure to check the cable itself is in good nick, and replacing the whole thing complete (but ££) is usually required in the end.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had cables in the past that claim to be friction free lined cables.
I’ve unwittingly put a squirt of oil down the cable thinking I’m doing the right thing oiling my cables, only for the lining to absorb the oil and swell up.
This made the throttle sticky/slow to return.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to try takinf the bar end off first then see if a little squirt of silicone works on the grip. Then have a look at tbe throttle bidy end if still no joy it looks lije stripping down to tbe actual cable. I don't want to lube the cable run though for the reasins above. Replacement cables are not very pricey so if it comes down to it maybe new cables are the way to go.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 04 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon checking the inner for fraying first is the wisest course.
Then if its all tickety boo, just clean and lube it and check the routing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:46 - 06 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't spray anything under the twist grip. It should be dry under there, or you end up with a sticky, sludgy mess.

Make sure there isn't anything obviously causing a problem - favourites are poor cable routing (had the forks off recently to mess around with it?) and bar end weights fouling on the twist grip.

If a modern cable needs lubing it probably needs replacing. If it needs replacing it was probably routed wrong, with too tight a bend, so the inner is sawing away at the outer.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 06 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Don't spray anything under the twist grip. It should be dry under there, or you end up with a sticky, sludgy mess.

Make sure there isn't anything obviously causing a problem - favourites are poor cable routing (had the forks off recently to mess around with it?) and bar end weights fouling on the twist grip.

If a modern cable needs lubing it probably needs replacing. If it needs replacing it was probably routed wrong, with too tight a bend, so the inner is sawing away at the outer.

The cables have never been touched so its not routing. I'll take the bare end off first. Increasingly it's looking like stripping it all down. Shocked

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 06 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Robby wrote:

The cables have never been touched so its not routing. I'll take the bare end off first. Increasingly it's looking like stripping it all down. Shocked

What Robby said. If you spray anything under the grip you'll just end up with the rubber twisting on the throttle tube. You should be able to see if either end of the grip is binding - just roll the offending end away slightly to prove it.

Top tip. If you end up replacing the cable(s), route the new alongside the old before you strip them out.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:59 - 06 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possability is that the "close" cable could be broken.

Pattern throttle cables are cheap as chips. £20 the pair. Just order the fuckers because by the time you've got at the ends and fiddled them off to inspect/lube them, you won't want to be doing it again.

If cables are nylon lined or you're not sure and you need to lube them, use silicone spray. That won't upset anything.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried the throttle with the engine off and the grip snapped back to the idle position quickly with no feeling of any resustance. I then started up the engine and gave the throttle a blip and it seemed slow to settle to idle (high idle auto choke) then i tried again once the engine had got up to temorature and again seemed slow to return to idle.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you don't think it's a mechanical issue? (e.g. gummed up cable.)

Slow return to idle hints at a lean condition Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:31 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The throttle twistgrip itself is slow to close or the twistgrip closes as normal but the engine is slow to return to idle?

A 2013 XJ6 is carbed right not injected?

On a CV carb, the throttle twistgrip opens and closes a butterfly valve to regulate the amount of air that can enter the carb. That ought to happen just the same if it's running or not.

The actual throttle (as in the throttle valve inside the carb, not the twistgrip) is opened and closed by a difference in air pressure across a thin rubber diaphragm. If there is a hole in the diaphragm or an air leak in the inlet manifold, it can stick open at a fast idle, there is a spring to force it closed but it is comparatively weak.

So if the throttle (twistgrip) is working normally but the revs are slow to drop, first thing I'd check is for an air leak by spraying WD40 over the inlet rubbers with the bike at a steady idle. If it revs up, you have an air leak. The second thing I'd check is a visual inspection of the diaphragms for pinhole leaks/tears. This is a delicate job.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its fuel injected. Im going to have a look at all the plumbing around the throttle body and check the air box. If I don't see anything obvious then it will just have to go to the garage to have a mechanic look at it. The bijes done 23k miles and about due its valve check. Could needing some valves adjysted cause this?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Its fuel injected. Im going to have a look at all the plumbing around the throttle body and check the air box. If I don't see anything obvious then it will just have to go to the garage to have a mechanic look at it. The bijes done 23k miles and about due its valve check. Could needing some valves adjysted cause this?

If it's FI rather than carb then it's likely to be a fast idle control rather than a choke - it sets the throttle slightly open. Could it be that that's sticking?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

If it's FI rather than carb then it's likely to be a fast idle control rather than a choke - it sets the throttle slightly open. Could it be that that's sticking?

It's not that. As when the engine gets up to temp it settles to a normal idle. I had a problem with the fast idle once before but fixed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2