BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HS2

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 05 Jan 2020    Post subject: HS2 Reply with quote

It seems, according to Lord Berkley that even the review panel conclusions were 'doctored' to keep HS2 going.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/business/parliament-was-seriously-misled-over-hs2-review-panel-deputy-chairman/

I have no personal interest as I very ever use the railways and will probably be dead by the ime it's completely finished but white elephant doesn't even come close to what it's become in my view.

Has anyone got any pro views of this? Even when I was still working in London it wasn't a case of 'wow, great, high speed' more a csae of whatever.

Ecological concerns are of course high on the list nowadays and it seems it will destroy countryside in a way not seen since the motorway building sprees of the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Or is it a necessary cost to bear to being at the forefront of industrial nations.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 05 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was supposed that a large amount of its use would be in the carriage of freight, although reducing journey times for people caught and held the headlines. The environmental saving was to be in terms of removing freight from less efficient (fuel-wise) movers.

Edit: SP.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 16:06 - 05 Jan 2020; edited 1 time in total

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 05 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

One plus is that it provides a fast way to cross the country after the Greenies ban all domestic flights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 05 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll end up being so expensive to build, that the ticket prices will be prohibitively expensive so no one will use it.

I'd scrap it personally and invest the money they had planned to spend on it updating and expanding the current rail network to make that fit for purpose.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 05 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a big lobby in the north that believes HS2 will massively increase business in the 'oop norf. Personally I think relocating government, its ministries and Parliament to the north would be a better way of solving the north south divide problem.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 05 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
It was supposed that a large amount of its use would be in the carriage of freight, although reducing journey times for people caught and held the headlines. The environmental saving was to be in terms of removing freight from less efficient (fuel-wise) movers.

Not quite true. HS2 has always been intended solely as a fast passenger service. It was inspired by the EU as part of the continental system but it makes less sense in the UK. It's also a political vanity project and a tonic for the construction industry but the benefits are moot. Lately it's also been promoted as a way to release capacity on the existing network (the one they don't want to spend money on) for freight.

So now you'll have two separate networks. One flagship speeding passengers between cities. The other carrying mostly freight which might otherwise have flown or hit the motorways, plus local passenger journeys. Sounds all right but a high speed passenger service won't be stopping at many places along the way, so who lives in one city and commutes to another (apart from MPs)? If you live between the two you'll have to use the roads or local train network to get to one of the distant HS2 stations before you can speed onwards to the city of your choice, though you'd be better off relocating. Also, whichever demand is greatest, high speed commuting or conventional rail freight, won't be subsidising the other at all.

In some ways it would make more sense to build a new network for freight and then reverse the Beeching cuts of the 1960's so passengers could use the existing network trains for local travel.

duhawkz wrote:
It'll end up being so expensive to build, that the ticket prices will be prohibitively expensive so no one will use it.

the draft report also says that "large ticket price rises" would be needed if HS2 does not go ahead, to prevent excessive demand for travel at peak times.
Sounds like ticket prices will go up either way. They seem to be forgetting that services shouldn't need to be profitable if they enable industry to thrive or provide other benefits to tax-payers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:02 - 05 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next people will be saying that train companies should be nationalised. Laughing

Network Rail are a lovely example of just what level of service can be expected from nationalised rail services.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 05 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

I'd scrap it personally and invest the money they had planned to spend on it updating and expanding the current rail network to make that fit for purpose.

Ticket pricing has little to do with the cost of operating the line. If it did then rural services would be unaffordable and London bound services would be extremely cheap.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 06 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much out of the loop up here in the North East. I think the final section would run to Leeds? The only thing I've ever heard that was promoted about it was saving ten minutes London to Birmingham. There's obviously far more to it as said because freight and local services use the (existing) network.
To me the whole project is too expensive, will cause too much disruption and will destroy too much land. I know fine well that corruption and incompetence and lies will land a stupidly high bill on the taxpayers doorstep.
Wherever there is money you will find corruption.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 06 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: HS2 Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It seems, according to Lord Berkley that even the review panel conclusions were 'doctored' to keep HS2 going.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/business/parliament-was-seriously-misled-over-hs2-review-panel-deputy-chairman/

I have no personal interest as I very ever use the railways and will probably be dead by the ime it's completely finished but white elephant doesn't even come close to what it's become in my view.

Has anyone got any pro views of this? Even when I was still working in London it wasn't a case of 'wow, great, high speed' more a csae of whatever.

Ecological concerns are of course high on the list nowadays and it seems it will destroy countryside in a way not seen since the motorway building sprees of the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Or is it a necessary cost to bear to being at the forefront of industrial nations.

He's always been against it, so, not exactly an unbiased opnion ..

Also, it's not all about the time saved between Birmingham & London, ther's a dire need to increase capacity on the west coast, basically th tracks are full, so, something needs to be built, and, it may as well be built to be as good as possible. HS2 will releive some of the congestion on the current West Coast mainline, which will allow additional freight paths, and, local services along the line.

It needs building, but, just like with the runway at Heathrow, too many self serving nimby's

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:06 - 07 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: HS2 Reply with quote

It does not matter how much this is going to cost, how much corruption/disruption or problems this will cause.

The government will get this white elephant of a plan through why?

since Boris won the election, I suspect that he will drum up support for this line, because of his election promise to turn the north in to the 'northern powerhouse'

better ways to spend the money boris, but who cares, I suspect the government has already made up it's mind on this

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 07 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Powerhouse my arse! All it will do is enable those living near enough to an HS2 station to get to London a bit faster.

If the Government is genuinely interested in improving the lot of those of us who live north of the M1/M62 intersection, it needs to improve the existing cross-Pennine rail routes instead.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 07 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Northern Powerhouse my arse! All it will do is enable those living near enough to an HS2 station to get to London a bit faster.

If the Government is genuinely interested in improving the lot of those of us who live north of the M1/M62 intersection, it needs to improve the existing cross-Pennine rail routes instead.

I was under the impression that that was also happening..

HS2 is not a white elephant, there is basically no space capacity on the west coast mainline, and, HS2 is about freeing up capacity on the existing rail infrastructure, as much as it is about high speed rail. However, starting from a blank sheet of paper, you'd want to implement the best solution, surely.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:01 - 07 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trains are shit, slow, expensive and unreliable.

They need to be at least two out of faster, cheaper and more convenient than taking a car to be a worthwhile proposition. Nothing about this HS2 project is making me thing they will achieve that.

Anecdotally, at least 1 in 3 train journeys I make is either delayed by more than 30 minutes or turns into a bus or taxi. If I wanted to take a fucking bus, I'd have paid for one, they are at least cheaper and tend to run on time. However, I get travel sick on a bus so you can imagine how pleased I am when I land up paying train money for bus service.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 10 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Both national and regional rail infrastructure need improvement across the whole country, with the one exception being London which has had majori investment.

As Stinkwheel points out, way too expensive and the service is poor. They need to get ticket prices way down and drive capacity up, then use the increased numbers to compensate for reduced per ticket revenue. Personally I would halve the foreign aid budget and use it for infrastructure.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
In some ways it would make more sense to... reverse the Beeching cuts of the 1960's so passengers could use the existing network trains for local travel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51272817

I should get a fee.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
In some ways it would make more sense to... reverse the Beeching cuts of the 1960's so passengers could use the existing network trains for local travel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51272817

I should get a fee.

Just what do you think £500 million will get you in terms of railway infrastructure? This is being announced now, to deflect some of the flack that will come when the Northern franchise is effectively nationalised, as an olr, in much the same way as lner, which will happen later this week.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will it get? Lots up here.
There's a rail link - The Blyth and Tyne Railway that extends from Newcastle and heads toward Blyth and on to Ashington. It was one of those hammered in times gone by and currently sees only 8 freight trains per day. It never fully closed but passenger services were stopped long ago.
The rails are there and everything else. We have really high unemployment rates and links to work and beyond are rubbish due to the geography of the area. The railway here, if opened to passengers, would see huge improvements for us.
Yes almost all of the stations have been turned to residential use or demolished but I've seen the plans for new ones and they're very good. They'll be placed at key points where main roads link to other nearby villages and towns. Everything planning-wise was done. It just needed the go ahead.

What annoys us most up here around Blyth Valley is for many many decades it was a Labour stronghold. We were given excuse after excuse as to why the rail link would never happen. Now that a Conservative bloke is the MP the rail link immediately happens!
Labour stifled growth here. Labour would tell us it was 'for the better' and that the 'bigger picture' was important. To say that residents of the valley are angry is an understatement.
I dislike Conservatives but here we are and things are being done for us. The more they're doing, the more Labour are being shown for what they actually did - nothing for us.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
There's a rail link - The Blyth and Tyne Railway that extends from Newcastle and heads toward Blyth and on to Ashington. It was one of those hammered in times gone by and currently sees only 8 freight trains per day. It never fully closed but passenger services were stopped long ago.
The rails are there and everything else. We have really high unemployment rates and links to work and beyond are rubbish due to the geography of the area. The railway here, if opened to passengers, would see huge improvements for us.
Yes almost all of the stations have been turned to residential use or demolished but I've seen the plans for new ones and they're very good. They'll be placed at key points where main roads link to other nearby villages and towns. Everything planning-wise was done. It just needed the go ahead.

What annoys us most up here around Blyth Valley is for many many decades it was a Labour stronghold. We were given excuse after excuse as to why the rail link would never happen. Now that a Conservative bloke is the MP the rail link immediately happens!
Labour stifled growth here. Labour would tell us it was 'for the better' and that the 'bigger picture' was important. To say that residents of the valley are angry is an understatement.
I dislike Conservatives but here we are and things are being done for us. The more they're doing, the more Labour are being shown for what they actually did - nothing for us.

You've fallen into the trap, that project has been ongoing for sometime now, just to upgrade that line with the stations technology etc would quite easily consumer most, if not all, the £500 million. In reality, the £500 million will just about fund the various feasibility studies, nothing more. In railways terms, £500 million is chicken feed, barely equates to pocket money. What £500 million buys, is a bit of good pr, to help mask the inevitable fallout that will come from the Northern Rail franchise being effectively renationalised run using an olr, in the same way the east coast (lner) is being run.

Not to worry, there are more franchises, that may well end up going the same way with Southwestern & TPE being 2 of the most vulnerable

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Will it be part of the mainline or the metro system? I did like the metro when I was up there. Thumbs Up

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

I don't even consider the Labour party of Blair, Brown and Milliband to be a Labour party.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

You've fallen into the trap, that project has been ongoing for sometime now, just to upgrade that line with the stations technology etc would quite easily consumer most, if not all, the £500 million. In reality, the £500 million will just about fund the various feasibility studies, nothing more. In railways terms, £500 million is chicken feed, barely equates to pocket money. What £500 million buys, is a bit of good pr, to help mask the inevitable fallout that will come from the Northern Rail franchise being effectively renationalised run using an olr, in the same way the east coast (lner) is being run.

Not to worry, there are more franchises, that may well end up going the same way with Southwestern & TPE being 2 of the most vulnerable

Blyth has a rail station at Cramlington. Comparable places in the South East e.g Hailsham also don't have a direct rail station. Trains (and Trams) are too expensive to be used in low population areas and would require even heavier subsidies. What is required is better bus services and cheaper trains, so people in places like Blyth can take a cheap bus to the station then use a cheaper train.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Just what do you think £500 million will get you in terms of railway infrastructure?

Not much, apparently.
Quote:
The £500m fund will not be used to build new railway lines - it is only meant to fund feasibility studies of routes that could be restored.

Indeed, if it doesn't pay for hardware it's also a stupid amount just for "feasibility studies."

I was interested in the idea that local railway lines might be resurrected which, as I said, make more sense than a high speed link which only connects city to city.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I was interested in the idea that local railway lines might be resurrected which, as I said, make more sense than a high speed link which only connects city to city.

I too am interested in resurrecting local lines, and no doubt some will, however, HS2 is also desperately needed, there are points along the route where there will be interchanges with the traditional routes, that can then access other local lines, and other intercity lines, but capacity does need increasing on the wcml.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Indeed, if it doesn't pay for hardware it's also a stupid amount just for "feasibility studies."

Got to start somewhere, really doesn't take long for feasibility studies to become expensive, that's before you even go through, public consultations, planning, building the infrastructure, buying the rolloing stock, before long you're into the billions.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I too am interested in resurrecting local lines, and no doubt some will, however, HS2 is also desperately needed, there are points along the route where there will be interchanges with the traditional routes, that can then access other local lines, and other intercity lines, but capacity does need increasing on the wcml.

Why is HS2 desperately needed? Who are these people who commute between Birmingham and London, or the Northern cities? Will the cost justify a saving of 25 mins? That's assuming you live close enough to one of the HS2 connections to justify the additional travel from home. Capacity and high-speed are two different issues.

linuxyeti wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Got to start somewhere, really doesn't take long for feasibility studies to become expensive, that's before you even go through, public consultations, planning, building the infrastructure, buying the rolloing stock, before long you're into the billions.

What are the costs in a feasibility study? Salaries and travel costs? Some consultancy fees? Someone is making a mint at £500 million.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2