BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HS2

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blyth and Tyne is basically all there still. Lots has already been done - it's always been a political thing and I do actually think it's happening.
This railway links to part of The Metro near Whitley Bay (it's proposed to go to Newcastle Central Station though) and is a route far closer to the coast than the ECML. Due to Cramlington being on the ECML not all trains stop there.
Locally we've always said that The Metro should have gone north and not south to Sunderland. Sunderland already has links with high speed trains and smaller trains such as Sprinter things.

Anyway, time will tell. Labour had long enough to fight for it so let's see how this new Conservative bloke does.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge out of curiosity do you know a mate of mine who lives near you? He is B, married to P, has kids D & F and currently rides a T. A medically retired PO with a dicky ticker, 54 years old, went to Coquet High, currently collecting tattoos much to P's distain?

I only ask because I am guessing you are a similar age and it is a small world...

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Just what do you think £500 million will get you in terms of railway infrastructure? This is being announced now, to deflect some of the flack that will come when the Northern franchise is effectively nationalised, as an olr, in much the same way as lner, which will happen later this week.

Surprise ..

The DFT's OLR3 has been renamed to Northern Rail

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03076444

So, even if it's not actually made it to the news, here's your scoop.. Northern Rail is now run by the DFT 'Operator Of Last Resort' ..

Que - Grant Shapps somewhere else, announcing the 'possibility' of re-opening stations/lines - probably somewhere in Wales this time, got to keep the bad new covered up as much as possible now haven't we..

Oh, and, if you really think 500 million goes a long way, in railway terms .. Look at this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51061417

£8 million for a simple 2 platform station, on an existing passenger route, so, aside from the station, the bulk of the infrasruucture is in place, along with the rolling stock already in place, just see how quickly that cost would increase on less prepared lines.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was reported yesterday that the anticipated cost of re-opening a typical 'Beecham' line is £20 million per mile at todays prices. If all £500 million were spent on re-opening lines with no infrastructure or detailed feasibility costs, that is 25 miles only...

Northern Powerhouse my arse!!!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
It was reported yesterday that the anticipated cost of re-opening a typical 'Beecham' line is £20 million per mile at todays prices. If all £500 million were spent on re-opening lines with no infrastructure or detailed feasibility costs, that is 25 miles only...

I did try and say when it was announced, in rail terms, it's a pittance, got scoffed at for saying so though ! Just like I was right about Northern Rail - you heard here first before the BBC announced it !

Oh, and, for those with an interest, keep an eye out for West Midlands Rail - Andy Street, our useless mayor is due to make an announcement next week, lord help us !!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Diggs wrote:

I did try and say when it was announced, in rail terms, it's a pittance, got scoffed at for saying so though !

Where?
As the article says, and you pointed out, the £500 million is for feasibility studies, not hardware. Pointing out it wouldn't buy x or y is interesting but not relevant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should introduce self driving trains on Northern
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Maybe we should introduce self driving trains on Northern

The problem with trains on Northern is that there are too few and the ones that do run have a somewhat a cavalier attitude towards the timetable.

You couldn't run a business that way. Oh, wait - they don't any more!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Surprise ..

The DFT's OLR3 has been renamed to Northern Rail

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03076444

So, even if it's not actually made it to the news, here's your scoop.. Northern Rail is now run by the DFT 'Operator Of Last Resort' ..

Que - Grant Shapps somewhere else, announcing the 'possibility' of re-opening stations/lines - probably somewhere in Wales this time, got to keep the bad new covered up as much as possible now haven't we..

Oh, and, if you really think 500 million goes a long way, in railway terms .. Look at this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51061417

£8 million for a simple 2 platform station, on an existing passenger route, so, aside from the station, the bulk of the infrasruucture is in place, along with the rolling stock already in place, just see how quickly that cost would increase on less prepared lines.

You're getting your news from the wrong sources, I heard Grant Shapps giving a live interview yesterday morning, talking about both the possible nationalisation of Northern Rail and the fact that the £500M for reopening defunct lines was only the beginning.

No covering up, or burying bad news, he was quite open about it all.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

You're getting your news from the wrong sources, I heard Grant Shapps giving a live interview yesterday morning, talking about both the possible nationalisation of Northern Rail and the fact that the £500M for reopening defunct lines was only the beginning.

... possible nationalisation, yesterday it will have already been decided it being nationalised, for it to appear today on companies house !! - So, not that open and honest ..

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private Eye 10th jan reported that behund Northerns failure was failure by the DoT. I cant type the whole article but briefly; The 2015 deal for Northern franchise assumed Network Rail (part of the DoT) would complete infrastructure works on time, they didn't they outsourced work to contractors including Carrilion, screwed up electrifaction, delays and cutbacks causing dependency on the old diesel fleet. Network Rail opened sone Manchestet track but DoT scuppered extra capacity through Manchester Piccadily where two tracjs and a new platform were expected by 2018,more trains were then funneled through east west Manchester lines further screwing things up. The DoT also forced the issue of driver inky trains leading to indusyriak action. The article argues Shapps has been using Northern as a scapegoat for his depts culpability.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Shaft wrote:

... possible nationalisation, yesterday it will have already been decided it being nationalised, for it to appear today on companies house !! - So, not that open and honest ..

Let me put it another way, I wasn't in any doubt it was going to happen, but he wasn't going to make such a bald statement ahead of an official announcement.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:09 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Shapps shouldn't be put in charge of anything more complicated than dressing himself. The guy is a complete tool.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Sister Sledge out of curiosity do you know a mate of mine who lives near you? He is B, married to P, has kids D & F and currently rides a T. A medically retired PO with a dicky ticker, 54 years old, went to Coquet High, currently collecting tattoos much to P's distain?

I only ask because I am guessing you are a similar age and it is a small world...

Probably (if that's a real person). I know a lot of people or rather they know about me!

With the Blyth and Tyne Railway it's feasibility - we know that and were told that. The line is being visited regularly by ministers and rail bosses.
Obviously not holding our breaths but the link would bring much needed change here.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm'd you
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2