Versys 650

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Versys 650 Reply with quote

Morning all,
I have found a mint 11 plate Versys 650 with under 2000m on the clock for under £4k, I viewed it last night and its like a new bike, my question is as everything is original (tyres, oil ect) should it be ok?, im test riding Saturday, one downside is the lack of ABS (is it a must have) and Im wondering if it will be very vibey as some say it is and others say its not. So if any one thats had or owns one could chime in please do and let me know what you think. Nobby please be constructive this time.

Thanks

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:15 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the one who is going to be test riding it. If you find it too vibey then don't buy it. If you think it's fine, it's fine. Loads of people ride them every day and manage to do it without getting a vibration based injury (which is a thing!), so it's not a total dealbreaker so it's down to your personal preference.

My other half has a 2011 plate ER6N which has the same engine and a lot of the same characteristics, and it rides really nicely. It goes around corners, it's supremely comfortable and it does well on fuel. She finds it immense fun. I find it a tad on the heavy side but it works well as a bike. I can't say as she's ever mentioned vibes.

The tyres will be OK for a test ride, but if you decide to commit to it, you might want to consider changing them. But I'm sure it'll be fine at least for a while. I've ridden on old tyres and not had a problem but I will admit that new rubber does feel better when riding spiritedly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABS - not a must have but will be part of the reason for the price.
The oil is original from 2011?! You sure? Tyres - I'd be using their age as a bargaining tool - you'll be wanting to change them (at least to the seller you will - your choice whether to or not, but tyres do go off over time). I would definitely be wanting new oil in it.

Your test ride will tell you if it is vibey - this can often be down to specific examples.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:46 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word on ABS:

I've never had it on any of my bikes and I've locked the front wheel maybe three times when riding (22 years). There is one occasion I can think of where it would have helped me avoid an accident, but I was riding like an idiot in torrential rain.

I will be wanting ABS for my next commuter as I have to commute into central London in lots of different weather conditions so having it will be an extra belt and braces safety item, but seeing as people survived for years without it I wouldn't be massively disappointed if a bike didn't have it. It does also add weight to the bike so it's a trade off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Tyres looked good, it had a service at 600m but no other record of oil change so could well be the original, just over 1200m on it, will get a service if i get it, i did ask if plugs would be changed as that is on my mind will they come out after 9 years easily as they seem to be beruid under the tank, technically they wont need changing to either 7.5k or 15k i think, I cant find a PDF for that year just on for 2006.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
Hi
Tyres looked good, it had a service at 600m but no other record of oil change so could well be the original, just over 1200m on it, will get a service if i get it, i did ask if plugs would be changed as that is on my mind will they come out after 9 years easily as they seem to be beruid under the tank, technically they wont need changing to either 7.5k or 15k i think, I cant find a PDF for that year just on for 2006.

If the tyres are original change them. They might look ok but the rubber compound will be well past it's best and the sidewalls will be likely to start cracking. They might function in the dry but in the wet they will be dodgy. I rarely use tires older than 3 years as I've experienced reduced performance past that point before (though I normally use a set in a year anyway).

Get the oil changed. It also degrades with age.
Plugs are easy to change but the coil sticks which sit on top of them can corrode in place (greasing them is recommended to prevent this) and if that happens they are an arse to remove without breaking them.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:53 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much under £4k? If it's £3,995 then that sounds expensive to me.

Yeah, it may only have 2,000 miles but it's still a 9 year old bike.

Rubber parts like tyres and hoses age. Coolant and oil goes off. How's it been stored? What about corrosion on the chain and other parts? Are the calipers seized? What about the battery? Etc. Etc.

So it will need a service and new tyres as a minimum. Possibly a battery and/or new chain and maybe the calipers unsticking.

Which doesn't make it a bad buy but go in with eyes open and don't be wowed by the low mileage. It's not a bargain, so treat it as any other used bike purchase and you'll be OK.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
How much under £4k? If it's £3,995 then that sounds expensive to me.

Yeah, it may only have 2,000 miles but it's still a 9 year old bike.

Rubber parts like tyres and hoses age. Coolant and oil goes off. How's it been stored? What about corrosion on the chain and other parts? Are the calipers seized? What about the battery? Etc. Etc.

So it will need a service and new tyres as a minimum. Possibly a battery and/or new chain and maybe the calipers unsticking.

Which doesn't make it a bad buy but go in with eyes open and don't be wowed by the low mileage. It's not a bargain, so treat it as any other used bike purchase and you'll be OK.

I was thinking about that, chain is like new , it was stored in a garage and its £3799. I am weighing the pros and cons

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:04 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take a pass.

The bike sounds fine. I've had bikes that have sat for years before and once you have ridden them a bit they are fine.

The price seems way off to me if its a 2011 model.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-VERSYS-650-ABS/274174040763?hash=item3fd60bdabb:g:MiIAAOSwhLReCgYm
15 Plate here for £4400 with a full service history and ABS and 7k miles.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-Versys-650-KLE-Low-miles-Extras-2013-13/223741921598?hash=item34180ec93e:g:~CsAAOSwmeNdxnNA
This one is £3995, 8000 miles and new tyres with service history and accessories.

These are also both from a dealer so you have some protection. Whereas you are buying private so you have no protection. Also it has been sitting for a bit so it will need some work. Seized piston calipers etc.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain might look new but check to make sure the links are all free moving. Also check rubber hoses, and other rubber parts.

A good chance that the fork seals will go very quickly after you start riding it again. They don't like to sit for a long time, possibly the same with the caliper seals. Both are DIY jobs if you have a decent tool set and not too expensive but I'd be wanting to pay a lot less. Unpaid £3200 for a 2010 ER6 with 4k miles and that was 5 years ago.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Chain might look new but check to make sure the links are all free moving. Also check rubber hoses, and other rubber parts.

A good chance that the fork seals will go very quickly after you start riding it again. They don't like to sit for a long time, possibly the same with the caliper seals. Both are DIY jobs if you have a decent tool set and not too expensive but I'd be wanting to pay a lot less. Unpaid £3200 for a 2010 ER6 with 4k miles and that was 5 years ago.

This is from a dealer but I dont need all the hassle and risks, will have a think
Thanks

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:56 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
kgm wrote:

This is from a dealer but I dont need all the hassle and risks, will have a think
Thanks

I get your fine with the hassle and the risk but it is still far above what it is worth.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not really lol, i dont need the hassle, spoke to the dealer and said what I thought it needed, still gonna test ride just for the experience, if they wont move on price and what needs done then I wont bother. I know they are prolly thinking I will be to exited to say no but i will, to be honest its getting tiring trying to find something that i really like, might just go back to a CB500F again.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved my Versys ('08 fugly one).

The vibles were partially addressed with the facelift, but some rider still reported issues.

They are good value generally and for £4k there are better and newer options available.

The 650 paralell twin morot I actually quite liked. Was a doddle to ride.

If you dont mind the pointy styling, I'd stump up for a 2015 model.

I currentlly have a VStrom 650 and so wonder if I'd have preferred the Versys...

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Versys 650 Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
Morning all,
I have found a mint 11 plate Versys 650 with under 2000m on the clock for under £4k,

Thanks

Have a look here Versys forum.

I have a 07 one with 30K+ on the clocks. Love it.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:21 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: re Reply with quote

considering one of these vs NC750 as my london commuter as they look much nicer and similar pricing, what sort of mpg you guys getting and how are they on servicing?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 4k you could probably also find an older VFR800X Crossrunner. Similar style albeit heavier and more powerful with a v4. Excellent all rounders and vastly underrated if you don't mind the looks. I bought mine as a stop gap and liked it so much I've got no plans to sell. Absolutely solid build quality, best I've experienced.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
considering one of these vs NC750 as my london commuter as they look much nicer and similar pricing, what sort of mpg you guys getting and how are they on servicing?

I got mid 50s to the gallon commuting about town with some dual carriageways in between with an er6 (same engine), probably a good example of mixed riding. It could do about 60odd on longer runs. I never made any attempts to ride economically though.

The vstrom 650 is better on fuel. Versys is probably more entertaining in terms of engine feel and handling but the vstrom is more comfortable and better at hauling a load (particularly passengers, versys can become a bit light at the front). That's my opinion anyway.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:09 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
No not really lol, i dont need the hassle, spoke to the dealer and said what I thought it needed, still gonna test ride just for the experience, if they wont move on price and what needs done then I wont bother. I know they are prolly thinking I will be to exited to say no but i will, to be honest its getting tiring trying to find something that i really like, might just go back to a CB500F again.

Mate, don't be put off - just go in with your eyes open.

The dealer will doubtless be pushing the low mileage angle as if that makes it a massive bargain. It doesn't.

Ask yourself: Would you still buy it if it had average mileage for its year? And for how much?

Don't forget – once you start putting miles on it, it will be just another 9 year old bike. And if you crash it next week your insurance will pay out the value of a 9 year old bike.

Don't get me wrong, I would pay a small premium for the low mileage (say £500) but it's not worth shed loads more than any other 9 year old Versys. And, as previously mentioned, low mileage doesn't mean new nor necessarily fault free.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

From bike market

Year Dealer Private Part Ex Mileage
2010 £3,100 £2,450 £2,150 14,600
2011 £3,300 £2,650 £2,350 13,200
2012 £3,600 £2,900 £2,550 11,800

So if the tyres were changed and all the fluids with the low mileage would that improve the value do you think?.
Ive not even ridden it yet so may not like it, my last three bikes were new so I thought I would save a bit and try used this time, I do have a problem with numb hands especially the right hand on vibration thats why I switched to a scoot so if this is too vibey then maybe an inline 4 would be better.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 06:01 - 11 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
From bike market

Year Dealer Private Part Ex Mileage
2010 £3,100 £2,450 £2,150 14,600
2011 £3,300 £2,650 £2,350 13,200
2012 £3,600 £2,900 £2,550 11,800

So if the tyres were changed and all the fluids with the low mileage would that improve the value do you think?.
Ive not even ridden it yet so may not like it, my last three bikes were new so I thought I would save a bit and try used this time, I do have a problem with numb hands especially the right hand on vibration thats why I switched to a scoot so if this is too vibey then maybe an inline 4 would be better.

Well, on that basis it looks like it's priced about right. Just be mindful of things like tyres and battery. Good luck!

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all but they wouldn't move on price so I walked away, will look in March for the old pre reg stock , I might get a better deal.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1