Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

After the Bandit?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:22 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: After the Bandit? Reply with quote

Ok so I have had my Bandit 600 for just over a year, and full licence for slightly longer than that. Am a 50 something late biker.

Love 2 wheels absolutely addicted, spend a lot of time on 2 wheels for occasional commuting, pleasure rides and travel. Will ride anything for fun.. garage currently has a 1972 Mobylette AV50, a 125cc Chinese derived GN125 clone thing (older carbureted and better imho), a Honda Dylan 125cc Scooter and the Bandit. The Bandit was in very good condition low mileage 1999 model, I love it.... but..

Despite knowing I can learn to ride the Bandit better, I have been pushing things a little and can feel the weight, and suspension limitations. The 125s are mainly for Wife who has the bike bug now, one might go soon for a 250cc or similar, and the mobylette will go now I have had fun working on it and maintaining.. possibly replaced with an old 100 - 125cc 2 stroke when I find a half decent one.

Assuming I have those bases covered to scratch the itch under various circumstances, am considering a more sporty bike to get some more skills and experience and possibly the odd track day (although ultimately I think I will be heading in the direction of dirt and green lanes).

I ride the Bandit hard sometimes, in the high rev range and as I get more experience can start to understand the limitations of chassis, suspension etc. Did improve things a little with heavier fork oil and if I keep it probably a better rear shock in the pipeline. I know I can get more experience etc.... However what would I get, experience wise if for example I replaced with similar age GSXR 600 (plucked that one as someone recommended as next step alternative recommendations gratefully accepted).

I am not looking for expensive, and happy without traction control, sports modes, ABS, stupid silly BHP etc. etc. I push my limits incrementally, have had one or two slightly to very scary moments on the Bandit but would be looking for bit of training for the track etc. and never expecting to be be a proper racing snake. Seems like a decent 20 year or so old sports bike would offer a new experience with a bit more punch and a lot more agility??

I am trying to cram a lifetime of experience into the remaining years, endgame can be an electric thing in my 70s with so many safety measures it can't fall over (and I will still be having fun), that comes later though. I am still pretty bendy and fit so not afraid of a moderate sporty riding position.

Or should I stick with the Bandit, it is quick enough sensibly speaking and still lots more I can learn in it.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the big litre/1100/1300’s will give you a new perspective on the ‘muscle’ school of thought. They’ll all be quick , handle better than you can cope, stop on a sixpence, and destroy your wallet Smile , but you’ll have a massive grin on your face.

Do it, you only live once Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mt09 maybe

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pick up decent GSXR1000 K1 or K2's (2001 & 2002 years), now for little over 2k. Some with shite cosmetics go for under 2k.

That's crazy cheap speed. They are surprisingly versatile as well I used mine as a commuter for a couple years quite happily till relocation meant I needed a car.

Similar vintage 'blades and R1's are worth a look as well. Though really you want the GSXR coz it's a GSXR Laughing

*edit to add* your map shows you quite near me, you are welcome to have a try on mine to see if an older litre bike suits (dry day though she doesn't come out in the rain anymore).

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:48 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: After the Bandit? Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:
Ok so I have had my Bandit 600 for just over a year, and full licence for slightly longer than that. Am a 50 something late biker.

I'm a lifelong biker of a similar age who could ride a bike well before reading & righting & rithmatic & I'm seriuosly considering buying a 600 Bandit to slow me down & suit my current style .

At our age, with your experience, are you sure you found its limits???

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sports bike at 50? Lucky you if your body is up to that kind of contortion still! Laughing
No reason why not if you're supple enough (mucho jealous if so!).

But I'd say Street Triple if you're not bothered about mega bhp. It's a good step up from the Bandit in terms of performance and handling. It is sports bike handling, but with a comfortable riding position. Great fun, great bike. Everyone should try one. Go for the R version, better suspension.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:09 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the chicken. A stripple is a wonderful bike. I loved mine but being a naked didn't suit me for touring so it had to go. If I could have afforded 2 decent bikes at that time I would have kept it for sure.

The only problem is they do command a premium so whether you would be willing to pay that much I don't know.

Also there are a good few 1000+'s that are excellent bikes as Peppers said. All fun with just that bit extra over the 600's. I like the XJR and the Kwack ZRX1200 but there are many more.

Also, if you are talking sports bikes, take one for a good ride to see if you can handle the riding position.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MT07, XSR700 or 900 maybe, you really don't want a serious sportsbike.
The Bandit was good in its day but a lot of mid-range bikes now handle much nicer.
You might look at something with a degree of off-road ability.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:12 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots to think about there, thanks.

Step one, going to get myself a test ride on something sporty I think I should be OK but pointless continuing if not. been working on fitness and flexibility last year or so fingers crossed.

I was considering a 600 sports bike as the step up, but now going to factor in bigger capacities.

Street triple path sounds nice, but fundamentally don't want to blow too much money as I want to be able to refine a small collection of bikes to scratch every itch. I have a bit of cash to spend on the hobby (now the kids are adults) but If I spend too much on the next Big Bike will clip my wings for other options.

No I haven't found the limits on the Bandit for sure, I ride it a lot in all weathers for proper travel and recreation, and keep pushing my riding incrementally but I know there is a lot more to learn (and always will be). There again, I didn't find the limits of my 125cc the five months before I got my full licence, learnt a lot more when I got access to another one in the summer (there are some roads around that are more riding a 125 to the max I feel).

Will update and compare what happens after the next move, something is going to happen, there will be a bit of a shuffle of my two wheel options.

If I don't get some sports bike experience I may always regret it, the window of opportunity is slowly closing.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:19 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
MT07, XSR700 or 900 maybe, you really don't want a serious sportsbike.
The Bandit was good in its day but a lot of mid-range bikes now handle much nicer.
You might look at something with a degree of off-road ability.

That deserves an answer, yup appreciate that, I want off-road as well, really I want at least four bikes all the time Smile That was highlighted to me this year, after puttering around on a vintage moped on country lanes, scratching around on a 125, haring around on the Bandit and Commuting/shopping around a scooter. I can get a smile on the lot.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:

I want off-road as well, really I want at least four bikes all the time Smile

Yamaha T700 then, best not start looking if it's too pricey, you will want one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe focus on a simple choice: do you want a racing bike where the speed, in part, comes from fairings and being scrunched up or a litre bike where you just throw raw power at the problem Smile

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:16 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratching itches it's pretty much whatever takes your fancy when it comes along and then do you have the time/money/space... end of the day its a bike not a woman, they don't get jelouse and start throwing saucepans at you if you have more than one, or storm off and sue you for your house... so go for it...

Mention of 250's instantly makes me think KR1S.. but then two-stroke makes me think 'spanners'... and a whole raft of fantasies float through my id like the magician's nephew notes...

Personally the big-bore sports idea doesn't really inspire. Sooo much shear XS of everything except perhaps 'comfort' the suggestion of nerve ending response and reactivity just isn't there, and I'd not espect them to be particularly demanding to ride or beg me to up my game as a rider.. in fact the converse, so much XS they tend to flatter the numpty and let you get away with so much less finesse.

I actualy discovered that twenty odd years backl on a launch year ZX6R, that responded on the nerve endings and was just about the most clinical bike I have ever ridden, utterly 'cold' there wass almost nbo rider engagement what-so-ever, and I got off with the distict idea that the thing was lsulking and looking at me sideways, asking "So, are you going to RYDE ME or WHAT?" it just didn't start to 'work' until seriously illegal speeds, or utterly daft on the edge situations....

Far more 'fun' was actually a Cagiva Mito 125... which begs some thunk.... I would still like an original round lamp 7-speed mito... and mostly as a tinker-toy. First fun would be a decent resto project to undo a quarter of a century's worth of kiddie go kwik ideas of 'maintenance' and 'tuning'... but then I'd have a bike, that is pretty nerve ending sharp and responsive, and that does beg some pretty demanding rider involvement, and at the kind of speeds you can achieve on public roads a bit before seriously endangering life and licence.... wouldn't want to try riding to Edinborough on the thing though!

Soooo.... notion does chuck up a couple of ideas or so. A-N-D For twenty years I have lived with my old CB Seven-Fifty, as all-round general dolphin road bike, and backed that with a couple of 'projects' or so.

On that basis, I would look long and hard at the bandit, and wonder exactly what is lacking, and if I could do much about making it better... and/or of it was worth it... Seven-Fifty over the years has gained a couple of inches in its back shocks, slid down its stanchions 1/2 an inch got some Hagon progressive wounds and heavier oil in the front, acquired some pretty hill-billy rear sets and a pair of elsie bars etc... b-u-t I haven't had back-ache before even wheeling it out to load it up with luggage for a two-up trip to wales or where-ever... it's served, and I have got a 'bit' of tinker fun from it, as well as riding.

The 248 Cota, has, for thirty five years offered 'dirty fun' in competition trials, and plenty of spanner fun between events fixing whatever I broke in them!!!!

THAT begs a very big bit of ';oy-dear' for you, actually... I think that I have now got to give up on the aspiration of competing on very age class of school-boy to over 50's on the thing... I still have a few months to go to be eligible for the over 50's... anbd I'm now a cripple! B-u-t.... trials is incredibly 'cheap' compared to track-days or anything else, and gives plenty of chances to go get muddy, and as hintimated theres the 'old-boys' classes for over 50's. be warned... the one time I actually won my class, and was feeling pretty pleased with myself about it, I watched an 'old boy' who when I was only about 30, looked like he''d fallen out of his tortoise shell, came pottering past me on an old rigid framed Phelon & More Panther!! What was even MORE dispiriting was when the results sheet came in, and I observed that not only had I taken my 'class' (T-Shock)... that old boy on the Panther had beaten me in his class with less penalty points!

Any how, trials is cheap and easy to get into, and c-a-n offer a life-time of very engaging 'fun', and you dont need to have the latest most trechno trick bit of tackle to do it on; you can do it on pretty much anything... just how masochistic you want to be really! If you want to get muddy, then pretty much any of the more contemprary machines will be more than up to the job, and you can pick up a late Montesa 315R or similar for around a grand ready to go... if you want more spanner fun in the mix, then there's the classic classes, for pre-65's, mainly old Brit bangers like Triumph Cubs or BSA bantums, the rigid class for older iron like that Panther, or the more contemporary T-Chock class for things like my old Montesa, Yam TY's, and Fantics and like like, which all tend, especially the Yamm TY's be pretty well supported for the spares you inevitably need... oh-key maybe not the Frantics, b-u-t.... they even do it on e-bikes these days I believe.... so there's plenty of opportunity for most tastes.

And keep the Bandit for the road and sunny sunday's and popping to the super-market.

Ie the options are all 'open', pick your poison. b~u~t

Split the variables; horses for courses, road bikes for the road, track bikes for the track, dirt bikes for the dirt... and project bikes for the work-shop... and where can you get some over-lap?

Your call.. but don't make a camel of the compromise, and trying to get even a little extra out of a road bike on the road is the tail of a camel.... if track-days and road racing are what grabs you, here and ow I would be looking at something like an old ZX6R as dedicated tack-day toy and maybe novice class racer, and saving the tax and insurance for the entries.... and looking to get some uncompromised high adrenaline kicks out of the thing, and a bona-fide time sheet to tell me just how fast I'd gone (or not) rather than bar room bragging that probably ends with a tale of picking Hawthorne out my arse! But VFM track tome tends not to be so cheapo.... so how much you got to spend, and how much of a camel you wanna make.....

I would recommend you leave the Bandit as is, for now, and go check out the costs to go do trails, and maybe enduro, as green-laning has already been mentioned as appealing, and go look at what bike you might want to do that on....

Your Call.... but fuel for thuought and open the horizons a bit and look beyond just road bikes, and what kind pf masochism most appeals...

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:54 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Maybe focus on a simple choice: do you want a racing bike where the speed, in part, comes from fairings and being scrunched up or a litre bike where you just throw raw power at the problem Smile

Again helpful, max speed isn't the issue on normal roads even taking into account being a bit absent minded about checking the speedo regularly, so on the assumption that I am not interested in crazy speed the Bandit will do it. The max I have seen is about 110 when I got very 'absent minded', and that was fast enough.

Acceleration maybe could play with having a bit more, the Bandit does do a pretty good job though in the higher half of the revs and will go North of 70 in 2nd (the only way I have managed to hit the rev limiter to date).

Cornering however: it goes around corners, but after a point you feel a bit like you are wrestling it down, a little deliberate counter steer and counter weight on the opposite peg helps (just bracing body so that counter steer input feels lighter). Increasing experimentation with moving around on the bike (I ain't scraping knees by any means) helps. But it requires some effort especially if switching quickly between a left - right or vice versa. And suspension, I didn't have any feel for that when I started, really noticed the heavier oil in front forks though and now I have one preload position on the rear shock that feels kind of okay but that is the same one where I have it for a pillion, second from highest and it feels like I could play with more adjustability. Roads in the Southwest can be a little lumpy.

I won't know until I try but a lighter bike with better suspension/chassis a little more acceleration and better braking could make a world of difference, going to have to just try I guess, and hope I have progressed enough to feel and use the difference.

To be honest this is not about absolute practicality or economics, some aspects of biking are but this is more about recreation, a little risk (which I accept) and pushing myself a little to convince my mind and body that the game of life aint over for a while longer.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:48 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:
won't know until I try but ......

If you dont 'heve' to do anything.. dont effup the apple cart doing anything.

For track-day type antics, just like for the road, go to school; you dontr need to have a bike, school provide one, so some-one else gets to worry about mending it if you go bending it; but as well as the on-track time you get the lesson on how to do it, you don't have to make it up as you go along, and when you get off, probably fired with enthusiasm, you will know a bit more which way to go.

Odds is road riding wont cut it, whatever the bike, and you will be entrhused to get something like a dedicated track-bike, either for track-days or actual racing, but you will also get some hints what would most suit. Or you will be completely put off and wanty to look at other stuff, like dirt, and I believe that theres a couple of Enduro Schools, not so sure about MX or trials... there used to be... but I know some clubs offer training or try-it-out days.

So check it out... you DONT have to get another bike, here and now, and doing something else is likely a good way to go... if it inspires you chase the inspiration, if not, you live withe what you got, and 'maybe' mess with it a bit. B~U~T.. its all about expanding them horizons and doing something 'different'...

Here and now, I'd say keep your money in your pocket; maybe look for 'something' to replace that Mobylette with as 'Project' and there I'd mention my Mito idea, and something small-ish, like and probably two-stroke, like a Mito or Aprillia, that is here and now some spanner fun, that when done you can go thrash on the road without endangering life or licence too much.... and experience that on the edge responsiveness and dynamism, to direct whether its something else to chase more off.

Would the bandit benefit from a new paid of tyres and or a thorough refresh? What could you piggy back into that by way of after-market shocks or similar that would likely make it a whole new bike to experience? And more inform what other bike may be the next step,. or which way to go otherwise.

Its a piece of string question regally only YOU might properly answer.. probably wrongly (YHBW!) but lots of fun along the way..

What I would say is that with mention of counter steer and counter-weighting?!?!? Go do a race school or IAM course.... this is rather elevated stiff I am sure makes little or no odds given your claimed current level and bike.... do a course, learn a thing or three and may-be it may be more pertinent of not really all that important OTR.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:04 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:

No I haven't found the limits on the Bandit for sure, I ride it a lot in all weathers for proper travel and recreation, and keep pushing my riding incrementally but I know there is a lot more to learn (and always will be). There again, I didn't find the limits of my 125cc the five months before I got my full licence, learnt a lot more when I got access to another one in the summer (there are some roads around that are more riding a 125 to the max I feel).

Book yourself onto a day at Ron Haslam Race School. You get to ride a CBR600 on a track very much suited to a 600.

Ron might actually pick you for his group as he's an old man as well Smile

Win Win Win situation. You get taught how to ride fast properly & they love new riders 'cos they tend to ride as they taught & not suffer the bad habits of the past 20yrs.

No way will they let you explore the limits but you will be going faster on average than you could ever achieve on a B6.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:37 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the comments, I feel like one of those Nasa space probes, collecting so much data it will take months to analyse.

I have a plan now.

Get a test ride on sports bike, assess how I feel about the position etc. Fortunately I am like a magnet for sales guys, I look like a walking mid-life crises target market for em. Most bikes I look at someone pounces and after talking for a min or two they are already talking about test rides.

Probably book a session at the Ron Haslam school, looks like it will be a fantastic experience whatever happens and they have sessions in spring which will qualify as an expensive birthday present (I am owed one).

Don't jump too fast, one thing I forgot in my excitement, a sports bike at this time of year will be a bit limiting. Cold, dark, wet vs warm, dry and bright.

Probably replace another element for my itch scratch in the present, as Teff pointed out replacing the vintage moped with another project ie a 2 stroke geared bike with more poke and I can have some fun thrashing around, trying to keep in the powerband.

Possibly find the next upgrade for the Bandit, maybe rear shock.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far too many words.

Yours sincerely,

50 something Street Triple rider.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:
I am trying to cram a lifetime of experience into the remaining years

I've been riding for over 30 years now, and I haven't tried a fraction of the bikes I would have liked to. OP has his work cut out starting at 50! Remortgage the house? Rob a bank? Sell the missus?* Very Happy

*BCF offer before pics (or GTFO) - tree fiddy.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:01 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit's built to a budget so get something with decent brakes and suspension and a bit more refinement?

CBR600? If you like top-end revs and the supersports feel, it will reward you and the chassis package is sublime. More = More. Most riders couldn't outride the capabilities of a CBR6 but wringing to power out of it takes some determination which si why many go for something bigger. The F has a slightly more relaxed riding position than the RR.

With supersports bikes. I think this is the last chance to see, they are going to be a thing of the past soon.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:43 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

zx9r cheap comfortable and fast what more do you need Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:30 - 10 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

With supersports bikes. I think this is the last chance to see, they are going to be a thing of the past soon.

I agree and sadly because of this I am seriously considering buying an R6 or something similar to mothball and leave to my grandson.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:18 - 10 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I agree and sadly because of this I am seriously considering buying an R6 or something similar to mothball and leave to my grandson.

Pointless. Petrol will cost £438.10 a litre & only available to licensed & approved subscribers. You may as well do him a big favour & leave a signed photograph of you sat on the R6 with a big cheesey grin.

Use the back of the photo to explain to him where the big cheesey grin comes from . . . . Smile

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 10 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR750 - K4 onwards.

600 weight (mines 163kg dry) with a decent amount more grunt, while retaining revviness, without going to a 1000 which require less input, IMO.

A decent step up, and don't cost the earth.

Will be parting with mine shortly, if you're interested let me know. Don't want a lot for it.

I've also had a zx9r - while they are cheap, and fairly comfortable, they're a bit of a barge. I personally found all the cbr600s I've ridden to be typically Honda. Do everything, but not exactly exciting.

Anything is going to be more fun than a 600 bandit at the end of the day. They're heavy, have basic suspension and brakes, and were built to a budget.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 10 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the age where top end isn't the priority (never really was) ow you get to the high figures and get back down again is where I'm at now. Comfort and an all round tool is what I like. I've always had a thing for Big Trailies and now have a 1200 GS Adventure. Nice comfortable riding position, big tank range, can go and stop well within my needs. Has a turning circle so small it still amazes me. Nice and tall for me, but you can change the seat height. Big enough to be seen, but can still filter. Commute or tour, depend on how I feel that day.
Brand new OE parts are fucking expensive, but pattern of second hand are fine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 107 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2