BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A car/bike crash on film.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:05 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I think I'd be dead if this had happened to me. I would have been well to the left but I don't have ABS and I'd probably have messed up my braking and gone straight into the windscreen and roof edge. Don't have an airbag jacket. I'd have died of chest injuries.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
FWIW I think I'd be dead if this had happened to me. I would have been well to the left but I don't have ABS and I'd probably have messed up my braking and gone straight into the windscreen and roof edge. Don't have an airbag jacket. I'd have died of chest injuries.

What, you mean you don't have super ninja reactions like the other posters? No footpeg acrobatics or manoeuvres at 100mph+ closing speeds? Laughing

It's accidents like this where the outcome is largely luck - good gear gives you an edge but there wouldn't be time to do much other than brake hard and hope.

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:16 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
matto wrote:

There's absolutely no fault with the rider in this one, I really don't think it's appropriate for you to try and be clever about it. Have you paused the video around the 18 second mark, as the bike comes into view of the car?

While I fully agree with the left edge for blind corners, with the extra height of being on a bike I believe he would have seen the silver roof from way back down the road, there appears to be a really clear cross-view. Then when the driver allows the car to run wide across the centre line, mid corner, the bike is still on the straight and starts to brake, hard, and there's no moving to the nearside once he's squeezing the shit out of the front brake. So you are totally wrong.

I'm not trying to be clever for the sake of it, I'm just trying to stay alive and out of a wheelchair. There are lessons to be learned from this poor chap's fate.

I don't agree there's a clear view. Have a look at the vid at 16s - the car is coming out of a slight dip.

Anyway, if the biker had seen a car roof coming at 70 mph, he would instinctively have moved to the left. Anyone would do that.

And even if the Subaru roof was visible, a low-roofed sports car would have been hidden by the wall.

If the biker had been over to the left, and he'd had good ABS, the outcome would have been very different. He might have hit the car at a much, much lower combined speed, or he might have missed it altogether.

Edit: I used the lat and long from the dashcam to find the road on Streetview. Here's the bker's view: https://goo.gl/maps/krTMgr3xfUMdDvtw7

Yeah I found the location too and retracted my cross-view opinion in a post above.

I wouldn't be riding along a straight tucked into the left, on a clear empty straight road (which that was at the time) your only real hazards are the road surface, debris and things emerging from the verge and the road edges are shit along there on google maps. You move left at the point where it would benefit your view through the corner, no point in being over there before. The rider in the footage had not reached that point before the Subaru came bouncing round the corner and he was then fully on the brakes.

The only lesson to be learned from this is that you are vulnerable on a motorcycle and sometimes shit just happens

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:21 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: I used the lat and long from the dashcam to find the road on Streetview. Here's the bker's view: https://goo.gl/maps/krTMgr3xfUMdDvtw7[/quote]

the view does look limited and the camera is mounted high on google vehicles. do wonder what you would see if car on that road or from further back. obviously riders reaction time limited but loads of soft grass to his left, in hindsight im sure he would have ditched it left. probably also thought car would adjust which is weird he didnt try

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have been a large truck coming the other way.

I'm not sure I agree that ABS would have made a difference, or maybe I'm not understanding how modern ABS works. The fact that the guy pulled an enormous stoppy suggests that he was using all available grip and the front didn't slide at all. I doubt that using less braking force to keep the back wheel down to apply more braking force from the back wheel equals more overall braking force.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 92 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2