BCF: Bike Chat Forums

first off..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:07 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: first off.. Reply with quote

Only about 25mph fortunately but learned a few things.

Got up early to finish some fettling on my Mobylette moped, then took it a little test run everything around here still frosty. Have a local road I do my 'speed' runs on (it is a 1972 50cc moped so speed is a relative term).

The little thing is running more or less as it should so got to about 35mph on the slightly downhill straight (which is speeding) then there is a very very tight bend which I know I can take at about 25mph (well I can in the summer). Half way around the bend the moped slid out.

Lessons learnt:
ALWAYS WEAR KIT
One glove a little scuffed but hand fine.

I had motorcycle jeans on as good for working in but the knee pads were out hip pads in. one knee bashed, hurting and scraped hip hit the ground with pad and is fine. I think with knee pads in would have been a non-event. The jeans are a little scuffed but black slight baggy ones and doesn't really show.

Both elbows badly scraped, and throbbing (not much bleeding) I was wearing a DIY old jumper which offered no protection. With my leather jacket and elbow pads in I doubt I would have felt it and probably just a little scuff on the jacket.

Helmet fine as head stayed off the ground Smile.

Mobylette pretty fine scuffed pedal, broken mirror, all superficial, I acted as its crash protector.

WEAR KIT, I always do on my bigger bikes, but just a little local run on tiny moped so I wasn't paying attention.

Don't take stupid risks, this bend on a local residential road would be hairy at 25mph in any vehicle, Mobylettes are crazy manoeuvrable but have skinny tyres and there was frost on the road!!

Stuff is throbbing/stinging and knee is swelling slightly but no major harm, even 25mph can hurt though. So as a first off pretty fortunate, and a learning experience.

If you don't know what a mobylette is, mine is pretty much the same as this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idFCfVSb9nQ

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:42 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to try a 180 degree pivot with pike and dismount on a quarter ton triumph. Then you know about losing it on ice....

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:49 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You want to try a 180 degree pivot with pike and dismount on a quarter ton triumph. Then you know about losing it on ice....
no thanks Shocked

Was that a first off? or did you build up to it gradually over time?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:10 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a variety of scars and bits of my body that ache as a result of my 30 years of motorcycling so not my first.

The most embarrassing was binning the fz in the fast lane off the m5.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:58 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

AldridgePrior wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The most embarrassing was binning the fz in the fast lane off the m5.

Go on then, what happened there? Sounds like a fucking topper.

Wet roads, avon tyres, front wheel locked up.

Getting to your feet and realising that your on the central reservation is increidibly scary.

Fortunately the whole motorway stopped so that I could retrieve the FZ from the middle lane and the people who were directly behind me gave me a cigarette.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all slag off car drivers, but sometimes they are a Godsend.
When I had my last off, it was car drivers that blocked the road deliberately to stop me getting squashed.

I was only doing about 5mph but I was on a roundabout and vehicles were coming in from all junctions.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1