Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

your fave local biking road (poll - a, b, or unclassified)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

your fave local biking road (poll - a, b, or unclassified, etc.)
A-roads
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
B-roads
63%
 63%  [ 31 ]
C-roads i.e. unclassified roads
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
tiny back lanes probably with grass growing up the middle
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
motorways (whuh??)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
green lanes, BOATs, all that kind of shit
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
some other kind of road
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 49

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah good points - also York is quite an interesting city, although a bit small. Wished I lived closer to Leeds tbh cos that's vast. Getting to know my around that would be a bit of a feat. Hull is within striking distance but it's a bit shit. I still do tackle it though.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live on the outskirts of London, so could basically decide how 'involved' I wanted to get with all that. Rarely went to The City itself though - a bit too hectic for me.
Where I am now...well, you're into Carlisle and out the other side before you realise you went near a city Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
...the Crossgates to Newtown road.....

A favourite of mine also and now I’ve moved it’s local too!

As far as favourites go, Welsh and Scottish A roads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
...the Crossgates to Newtown road.....

A favourite of mine also and now I’ve moved it’s local too!

I have yet to ride a better road for sheer bike speed kicks (officer! Laughing ). That includes all the fabulous ones I have now ridden in Europe. The scenery may often be better over there, but for sheer race-track-like fun, this one road has everything else beat for me (22 miles of just lining up fast bend after bend, little traffic, few junctions, and those little used). You sir, are a lucky bleeder, having it on your doorstep - although if I'd moved there instead of up here, I'd most likely either be dead or in prison by now Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden that stretch of road, and most of Shropshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire and Warwickshire.

But it was back in the days that I had big bikes, big plans for long 100-300mile day trips, and I too used to like long fast sweeping roads where you could ride most of the time without alot of braking or massive speed changes. I did also like technical gravel and sheep strewn rural Wales, but for different reasons.

Now I ride little bikes and I can honestly say those long sweeping roads or Cressage straights, the Foss Way etc, would bore the arse off me.

Id go out of my way to ride the tiniest roads, where you probably won't ever see over 60mph and that'd be rare. 90-100kg tall bikes don't like long straight exposed roads, are uncomfortable over distances, and having no wind protection are uncomfortable and noisy at speed.

I remember rolling through sleeping little Sunday villages in a group of race can equipped bikes and in 1-piece leather suits, making a racket on the way to popular Shropshire biker meet up locations. I did think all that caper died early in the Millennium though?

It's not something I'd want to be doing now as a 40yr old bloke, it almost makes me cringe thinking back to those days of sunny day predictable biking.

I ain't got that interest or desire to be an annoying cunt I guess now?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I've ridden that stretch of road, and most of Shropshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire and Warwickshire.

But it was back in the days that I had big bikes, big plans for long 100-300mile day trips, and I too used to like long fast sweeping roads where you could ride most of the time without alot of braking or massive speed changes. I did also like technical gravel and sheep strewn rural Wales, but for different reasons.

Now I ride little bikes and I can honestly say those long sweeping roads or Cressage straights, the Foss Way etc, would bore the arse off me.

Id go out of my way to ride the tiniest roads, where you probably won't ever see over 60mph and that'd be rare. 90-100kg tall bikes don't like long straight exposed roads, are uncomfortable over distances, and having no wind protection are uncomfortable and noisy at speed.

I remember rolling through sleeping little Sunday villages in a group of race can equipped bikes and in 1-piece leather suits, making a racket on the way to popular Shropshire biker meet up locations. I did think all that caper died early in the Millennium though?

It's not something I'd want to be doing now as a 40yr old bloke, it almost makes me cringe thinking back to those days of sunny day predictable biking.

I ain't got that interest or desire to be an annoying cunt I guess now?

Well aren't you the fine, upstanding little goody-two-shoes Laughing

I hope you're not making assumptions about me? Laughing

No villages on the Crossgates - Newtown road - a couple of houses here and there. Well, there's a few houses at the Crossgates end right at the start, where of course I used to stay within the speed limit (actually, really). And I'm quite careful about how I ride in any kind of built-up area. Nor is my can super loud. And I'm as happy riding that road alone as I am with likeminded company. Ok? Mr. Green

Also, if you've read the whole thread, you will see that I mentioned that my enjoyment of a road depends on the bike as well as other factors. But the times I have done that road on the Fazer were bliss. So locked into the moment (or however long it took to do 22 miles). The Fazer just feels perfect for it. Of course, I am a factor in this too.

Now give me the Striple. Nope, not the best road for that one. Something tighter and more technical please. Some of the Welsh B roads would be ideal.

Small bikes? Of course, I'd prefer a different kind of road again. Are you starting to get my drift, stevo? Wink

Isn't it time you went back in your shed? Razz

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 16 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back in my shed on Saturday ok! Wink

Also If I can get it to stop raining before March and if I can get one of my bikes engines to hold itself together and survive both my engine building skills and a dyno set up, then I will go back down my little quiet back lanes.

Until then and while it's very soggy, dark, wet, cold etc,
Well you have my full positive and constructive input and enthusiasm as always! Laughing

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 16 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to mention by the way that the Newtown / Crossgates Road now seems to be in the sights of the local police. There’s occasionally a car sat in the 30 zone at the north end but there’s also a camera van on one or two of the bits in the middle - eg the 60 zone.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:04 - 16 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Just to mention by the way that the Newtown / Crossgates Road now seems to be in the sights of the local police. There’s occasionally a car sat in the 30 zone at the north end

Fair enough.

Quote:
but there’s also a camera van on one or two of the bits in the middle - eg the 60 zone.

Now that's just not cricket! Sad

Mind you, how much straight road do they need to nab you with a camera van? I knew someone who swore they couldn't get you on the bends (and most of that road is bends iirc) and he'd always slow down for the straight bits. I had a sneaking suspicion he was only fooling himself.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 16 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Id go out of my way to ride the tiniest roads, where you probably won't ever see over 60mph and that'd be rare.

Was out green laning yesterday around the Malton area, and to link sections up we inevitably had to use tiny back lanes - grass up the middle, some gated, lots of grit, muck and standing water in the wake of storm brendan or whatever his name was. Point being it was as enjoyable as any other riding gets, I thought. We weren't hanging around although we were only on 250s to be fair (mine a 4t, my mate's a 2t). I did know these obscure back lanes pretty well mind you - and that helps. You know when the worst of the surfaces and/or bends are coming up so nothing really takes you by surprise like it sometimes can on your first few times.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Fair point because I do often go into town and try and familiarise myself with parts I don't know so well. And I regularly get as much out of it as any other kind of riding. Not sure wtf that's about.

I think it's the enjoyment of negotiating it all as if it were an obstacle course with moving, unpredictable obstacles. Certainly is a certain amount of satisfaction in managing it smoothly without getting squished, but I find I tire of it quickly. Much rather an open road with little traffic.

I'm the one who voted for 'another kind of road' by which I meant towns and cities.

I've never been one to seek out the best 'biking' roads, but I do get a massive buzz from carving my way through traffic, probably my background as a courier.

My favourite quick spin was Kennington Oval to Marble Arch via Hyde Park Corner - narrow lanes and dense traffic round the Oval to Vauxhall Cross, a few sets of lights to time right, then over the bridge to a choice, either swing a left and right and go up Belgrave Rd, or keep going straight up Vauxhall Bridge Rd, the goal is Grosvenor Place and the prize is Hyde Park Corner, one of the only places where properly aggressive riding is the only way to progress (as long as you've got eyes in your arse and the head turning circle of an owl) then it's on to the filtering heaven that is Park Lane.

Of course, they buggered up Hyde Park Corner a few years ago by putting lights on it, which stuffed every road leading to it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do sometimes enjoy a bit of town riding, but I wonder how much of my survival is down to sheer bloody luck! Laughing
With so much traffic, it only takes one idiot to do the wrong thing at the wrong moment - it's just not in the rider's control. I've been taken out this way before, not doing anything wrong, but just some twat deciding he's not going to stick to the rules as I drew level with him - no amount of skill would have saved me.

It hasn't totally put me off town riding, and if I know where I'm going I'm confident enough, but I prefer to be more in control of things, so town work will never be my favourite.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:42 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure these days if many roads can beat several miles of open fields, forest fire trails, moorland etc and a big old gnarly 500cc open class mens bike.

Some people want to ride route 66 on a full dress Harley. Some want to Lap the TT etc.

For me I think the ultimate before I die ride might be a 500cc MX bike with a long range tank, parked in a farmer's field and pointed at the horizon of green and yellow squares. I'd love to see how many miles I could cover of green landscape as the crow flies straight over nicely planted fields, and through fences and hedges before my 10litres or so of Pre-mix is exhausted.

Maybe I'd like to cross a desert on an adventure bike or do a hard enduro race too.

All I know is that the people that want to ride across the US on a hog are the weirdo's. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 98 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2