Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

your fave local biking road (poll - a, b, or unclassified)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

your fave local biking road (poll - a, b, or unclassified, etc.)
A-roads
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
B-roads
63%
 63%  [ 31 ]
C-roads i.e. unclassified roads
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
tiny back lanes probably with grass growing up the middle
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
motorways (whuh??)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
green lanes, BOATs, all that kind of shit
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
some other kind of road
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 49

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: your fave local biking road (poll - a, b, or unclassified) Reply with quote

What kind of road is your favourite local road - e.g. the road you head for when out on a blast, etc. First thing I'd say is that if I have a choice between a great road and boring scenery or beautiful scenery and a dull road, I'm almost always going to plump for the former. So that's one thing.

I'm also tempted to say several of my favourites are actually unclassified - though they do have markings. On these kinds of roads 10 or 20 mph over 60 can often feel pretty fast. Regardless, the other point is that (around here at least), these kinds of roads often include a lot of elevation changes - particularly those in the Howardian Hills and parts of the Wolds, and are equally as bendy. Most of them feel too much of a handful at first, especially for an average rider like me. But they're better for knowing, and can be enjoyed once they're familiar.

After that, I tend to go for the numbered B-roads - these are like the marked unclassifieds, but tend to have better surfaces. They're that bit busier though - so, given that they're often quite technical, you might get stuck behind dawdlers and/or tractors, etc. Oh yeah - that's obviously the other thing with B-roads and unclassifieds; you get a lot of agricultural shenanigans - mud on the lanes this time of year, combines that brush the hedge on either sides come spring and autumn, and always lots of pheasants ready to twat you in the lid. Still, the local B-roads around these parts can be a right laugh - there are some heading out of Hull towards Withernsea, and between there and Hornsea that have no rhyme or reason to them in terms of how they traverse the terrain. Others worth mentioning: B1222 between Escrick and Sherburn; B1228 Howden to Sutton on Derwent; B1246 from Bainton to Pocklington.

A-roads - these imo are often more of a necessary evil, and probably going to be a way of getting to the smaller, more interesting roads rather than an end in themselves. That said, the A166 between York and Driffield is fantastic. As is the A169 from Pickering to Whitby (a real epic affair), and the A161 in Lincolnshire that joins Old Goole to Crowle. Hmm - thinking of those three makes me wonder if I love them just as much as my fave b-roads and unclassifieds. I suppose you can crack the taps a bit more on the A-roads - but they often not as challenging unless you're approaching porridge speeds.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the destination is the reason for the journey, then A roads. If the ride is the reason, B roads.

B6047, Market Harborough to Melton Mowbray is a nice local road, as is the B645 Higham Ferrers to St Neots road.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 13:36 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're talking about fun, then B roads in good weather.

Favourite route is from Abridge to Colchester through a series of the best twisties local to me.

I hate having to ride out far to find good roads, so I'm quite glad those begin around 20-30 miles from me.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for B-roads, although at this time of the year, country back roads (if you know them well) can make you feel fully involved in the ride and enjoy it more, probably because greasy and otherwise bad road surfaces make you feel like you're exercising a skill. On the other hand, following behind a 4x4 on a B-road doing a steady 50, in a light drizzle, keeping one eye on the road surface and the other on looking for an opportunity to safely overtake, can get boring.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Variety is the spice of life.
It depends on my mood, what bike I'm riding, what else I might want to do on any given day etc, etc,

I sometimes enjoy riding a steep gnarly pass with a fecked surface, sometimes a fast winding road with a good surface. Most days out I'll choose a mix, and will get equal enjoyment out of quite different bits of my route, so I don't feel I can vote for one or another.

As to scenery, I'm a great fan but it's really a different question. Again, my best days have combined a bit of everything.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varies. Sometimes I want a fast blast on a decent twisty B road with the VFR, with some narrow almost single track stuff thrown in. Other days I want to take the CRF and rise the tiny lanes with the grass in the middle 😂

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in Oxfordshire, my favourite circuit was on what was locally known as the Charlbury TT:

https://i.postimg.cc/2jGfSnWD/DSCN0227.jpg

Mostly fairly tight and twisty with some rollercoaster-like dips that could catch you unawares if you weren't familiar with the route.

Also ones I considered local while I lived down there, some bits of the roads around Salisbury Plain were enjoyable. Brought their own hazards though:

https://i.postimg.cc/c4CP12ZR/DSCN0450.jpg

Now alas, there is nothing immediately on my doorstep, have to go about 20-30mins in whichever direction to get to the good ones, but worth it when you do.
North Pennines:

https://i.postimg.cc/pd1MBv2L/DSCN4291.jpg

In the other direction, there is the Lake District which offers a bit of variety. Gnarly and steep, the Hardknott Pass:

https://i.postimg.cc/nr2Z8D4n/DSCF5263-zpsb9990f07.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/SKKp8RbP/DSCN4290.jpg

Only really a favourite if I feel up for something a bit challenging though, but there are some fast roads too if you know when to catch them.

There is one category missing from the choice, which I used to consider as local for biking - that is to say, roads I rode as often as I could despite the actual miles covered to get to them, starting to become as familiar with them as anything closer to home, and certainly would love them to be my local ones, and lucky for those for whom they are; Welsh roads!:

https://i.postimg.cc/8PkNRZGc/DSCF5595-zpsd6409e85.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/vHPM358z/DSCF5743-zpscfb4b17a.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zBS3B3Cc/DSCN0750.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Y2DMx1Cx/nick1.jpg

Sometimes it seems it was considered that I enjoyed them too much Rolling Eyes :

https://i.postimg.cc/hvDW0tH6/001-zps2c665e26.jpg
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
If the destination is the reason for the journey, then A roads. If the ride is the reason, B roads.

B6047, Market Harborough to Melton Mowbray is a nice local road, as is the B645 Higham Ferrers to St Neots road.

Agreed. I done those and there are lots around where I live of differing class and surfaces. Mainly B roads. There are plenty of speed cameras as well though but whether they all work, who knows.

I do like some A roads. Back in the day when I lived in Weston-S-Mare and was at college in Plymouth I used to do the A38 on my old YDS7 and loved that road.

That was many many years ago though and I have no idea what it's like now.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Fazer is most at home on fast, winding A roads, which is part of the reason I enjoyed it so much when I was within striking distance of Wales. Above are the only pictures I have of me in action, the small shot being on my all-time favourite, the Crossgates to Newtown road (the only other pic I have of that road shows my last Fazer lying smashed up next to the hedge Laughing ). That's not to say I don't enjoy hustling it around something tighter as well though. It needs more rider input for that, and that's equally appealing to me.
The Striple loved the tighter, more 'technical' roads, so I preferred taking that on the B roads more. There's a lot of variety within each category though.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. The Striple loves the B roads and I'm happy to show her as many as I can.
There are a number places locally where she can stretch her legs but oddly enough the best stretch of tarmac near me starts with an A.
The A507 between Baldock and Buntingford to be precise.
It can really catch out the unwary.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice mixture of B&C roads for me.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
the best stretch of tarmac near me starts with an A.

I vaguely remember that one from when I lived in the south east. Not the first time I've heard it mentioned as a good one from others either. Sure someone told me the police did driver training or some such around there though?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
recman wrote:
the best stretch of tarmac near me starts with an A.

I vaguely remember that one from when I lived in the south east. Not the first time I've heard it mentioned as a good one from others either. Sure someone told me the police did driver training or some such around there though?

It would make sense, it can get busy with bikes along that stretch.
I've never seen 5-0 along there though.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny back lanes where there's not enough room for two vehicles to pass, and it's hedgerow lined bends and short bumpy straights. You can keep the horse shit and tractors spreading shit though!

Other than that it's off road muddy tracks, woodland and forest trails!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

B roads but with the odd colliery spoil heap thrown in.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:10 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with others, b roads are king, especially great in the summer on a sunny day, and there is no traffic..........or those hidden speed cameras Mad

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a short while, many moons ago, I had a girlfriend living in Troon, my route to visit was up the A74 then off at Douglas via the A70 B743. My company Vauxhall Cavalier would often be airborne on parts of that route - great fun but never tried it on a bike.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
When I lived in Oxfordshire, my favourite circuit was on what was locally known as the Charlbury TT

I'm a big fan of this too - it's not that long but worth a small detour to include on any ride that goes nearby.

Closer to me is the B4494 from Newbury to Wantage. There are other decent roads in the vicinity too - for example the B4001 Lambourn - Childrey. They are all a bit short though, compared to roads in Snowdonia or North Lincs or Derbyshire or wherever where you appear to be able to ride for miles on fantastic roads with few settlements along the way.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything if you're not in a rush. The leg from Box Hill to Newlands Corner is very pleasant.

As mentioned ad nauseam I get a kick out of tearing about in the City (compared to a car which is soul destroying) but that doesn't seem to be on the list Thinking

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

B4520 between Brecon and Builth Wells - Bliss.

ಠ_ಠ

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
B4520 between Brecon and Builth Wells - Bliss.

Amen brother.

Dat hill, snaking through the countryside, perfect visibility.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the bike and the weather.

Viffer and a hot sunny day? B4391 every time.
Light 250 and anything other than rain/snow? Tarmac UCR/BOAT singletrack from Llanuwchllyn to Bronaber.

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-Roads with three numbers and B-roads!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
As mentioned ad nauseam I get a kick out of tearing about in the City (compared to a car which is soul destroying) but that doesn't seem to be on the list Thinking

Fair point because I do often go into town and try and familiarise myself with parts I don't know so well. And I regularly get as much out of it as any other kind of riding. Not sure wtf that's about. You can tick the last box for that.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Fair point because I do often go into town and try and familiarise myself with parts I don't know so well. And I regularly get as much out of it as any other kind of riding. Not sure wtf that's about.

I think it's the enjoyment of negotiating it all as if it were an obstacle course with moving, unpredictable obstacles. Certainly is a certain amount of satisfaction in managing it smoothly without getting squished, but I find I tire of it quickly. Much rather an open road with little traffic.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2