BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CB650 or CB1000r

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a very good reason that the street triple is one of the most popular bikes around. Its bloody good.

J30NNN
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the looks and the reviews are positive.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Striple is a really easy bike to ride due to good tractability in the midrange.
Popular with thieving bar stewards though. I wouldn't want to own one if I lived in or around London for e.g., although I had no fears where I am.

Great fun, they are light and manageable, with good performance; basically a sports bike with an upright riding position and good manners when you want it. But I ended up becoming a hooligan on mine Twisted Evil Got a bit of everything really. Except comfort over longer distances. But you can get a comfort seat from Triumph which improves things a bit. No wind protection though. These bikes have earned their place as something of an icon.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J30NNN
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:51 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Glasgow Chickenstrip so we have our fair share of those horrible barstewards up here but not as bad as London. The bike will sit in a shed in my garden but no accounting for what happens when I leave it.... Rolling Eyes That would probably explain the insurance hike.

I am looking at the 2013 with the ABS but really like the look of the pre-2013 with the exhausts under the seat. My only concern with the pre-2013 is the lack of ABS.

Do you know if the pre-2012 has a fuel guage? Do they have gear indicators? How was the reliabilty? Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pre-2012 model doesn't have a fuel gauge or gear indicator*. The former would have been useful too, as it doesn't have the best tank range available on a motorcycle. The latter...well, unnecessary things imo.

I had mine for a year and had no reliability issues. I think the early ones had a reg/rec problem or something, and iirc, there was a recall that fixed the problem - perhaps someone else could confirm?

I've never had a bike with ABS, so that wouldn't bother me - I prefer my bikes to be a bit raw on the electronics front since none of it existed when I started out, just what I'm used to.

Front brake (on the R version at least) is excellent - good feel, good stopping power. Rear brake was virtually non-existent.

But put decent can/s on one and oh, the sound! A symphony of pipes, transmission and induction roar, addictive! (if a little ear-battering Laughing ).

So it has a few (pretty minor) flaws, but the rest just more than makes up for it. It's not a bike I really consider as a brilliant all-rounder, more one that will cope with most things, but is a cracker none the less. Definitely in its element being thrashed around country lanes, but as I said, that midrange makes it easy to ride more sedately too - just bang it in gear and forget which one you've selected, very like a larger capacity bike.

I think that pretty much sums it up from my point of view. It will satisfy the heart, (but not always the head, although it's not the worst in that regard) which for me is essential in a bike - otherwise, why ride the things? If you love bikes, you'll love it, but if you just want transport, best look elsewhere.

*edit: or does it? Somewhere on the clock display? I can't remember. I was usually too engaged in thrashing mine to notice Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

If It's a naked "street" bike you're after, I'd encourage you to have a look at what triumph are offering.

Or, even Royal Enfield with the Interceptor

J30NNN
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great bike Chickenstrip. I think that I would go 2013 to get the fuel guage and will have a think about ABS (more to go wrong electronically I suppose). Seems to be a bit of an all rounder.

Stinkwheel - will have a look at the interceptor.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

J30NNN wrote:
Seems to be a bit of an all rounder.

Well, as far as an unfaired bike with a not too comfortable seat (over long distances) can be. I wouldn't choose one if I had to do a lot of motorway trips or long tours. Just to keep a sense of balance on the matter Smile
jenniechase This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:31 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That account is going to start posting spam.

Rolling Eyes

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:41 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
That account is going to start posting spam.

Rolling Eyes

Already has.....for a coupon site.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
The pre-2012 model doesn't have a fuel gauge or gear indicator*.

My 2011 had a gear indicator but no fuel gauge.

J30NNN
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 24 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Polarbear. I think that fuel guage kicked in at 2013 along with the ABS option.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2