What makes a bike good in corners?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:36 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
You can get some really good very grippy road tyres these days in full on off road wheel and tyre sizes. No excuse for using an off road bike soley on the road with knobblies IMO.

Well unless you're trying to wear out a set or don't value having good tyres on your bike? Or worse still unless your one of those sad cunts who thinks that off road bikes or anything hipster or flat tracker loses all its desire and appeal with decent road tyres on it.

If I was keeping the bike for a long time I would definitely get road tyres. But, I only need it for a few weeks until I pass my mod 2, then I'm getting something bigger anyway Smile

Okay - change the question:

Reccomend me bikes please. No size restriction, but as a new rider I don't think I need a litre sports bike.

Will be used mostly for country lanes / B roads, all year round (so probs fairings to keep rain off me?). Very occasional motorway use (like a 6 hour ride to see family for christmas. so probs fairings for comfort on longer journeys?). Perferably a fairly upright seating position for town riding but not essential. Possibility of a top box and small panniers. Cheap and old, but with parts availability.

My big requirement day to day is that it can keep up with other traffic in corners - both sharp turns on country lanes, and long sweeping ones on A roads.

Last edited by CorriganJ on 18:03 - 18 Jan 2020; edited 2 times in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recman, answer him please.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: What makes a bike good in corners? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
What 125 did you buy?

and what tyres are on it

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an A2 rider you can't ride a litre sports bike legally. (If you've found a litre bike under 95bhp you can restrict to be A2 compliant, it wasn't a sports bike to start with.) The Honda cbr500r is a great A2 bike and will keep up well with traffic.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:01 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
As an A2 rider you can't ride a litre sports bike legally. (If you've found a litre bike under 95bhp you can restrict to be A2 compliant, it wasn't a sports bike to start with.) The Honda cbr500r is a great A2 bike and will keep up well with traffic.

Sorry, I think i meant module 2? I'm over 24 so once I pass I will be on a full unrestricted license. Like the idea of a Gwing if I'm honest.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:

Will be used mostly for country lanes / B roads...

My big requirement day to day is that it can keep up with other traffic in corners - both sharp turns on country lanes, and long sweeping ones on A roads.

CorriganJ wrote:
Like the idea of a Gwing if I'm honest.

My head just exploded.

Confused
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
CorriganJ wrote:

Will be used mostly for country lanes / B roads...

CorriganJ wrote:
Like the idea of a Gwing if I'm honest.

My head just exploded.

Confused

Maybe he means a Merc 300SL? Laughing

ZZR1100 for the win and as a bonus you don't have to worry about what tyres it comes with because it'll chew them up before you've got the seat warmed up!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Gwing? Reply with quote

Yeah, old school sl, sell it and get a fireblade!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:59 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cheap? How old?

ER6f. or if it's mostly country lanes, how about a versys.

Totally skint? A tidy Suzuki GSX750F can be had for sweetie money if you can cope with the looks.

You want to corner? CBR600F

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

He's looking for fairings and panniers and all that malarkey.
Sure you can load up a Striple and make it a donkey but that would be a waste.
As the Stinky one says, something like the er6 would be more suitable in this instance.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

He's looking for fairings and panniers and all that malarkey.
Sure you can load up a Striple and make it a donkey but that would be a waste.
As the Stinky one says, something like the er6 would be more suitable in this instance.

I guess a beginner ought to stick to beginner's bikes.

Thinking

Sleeping

Thinking

Idea

FZS600 Fazer Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
FZS600 Fazer Very Happy

That didn't work out too well for me!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:58 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
FZS600 Fazer Very Happy

That didn't work out too well for me!

Weren't you the guy who bought a real junk heap of a Fazer? Laughing

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:51 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing more research. Now thinking of a ZZR600. They look good, fairings, comfortable as a commuter, but fast.

Cheap as hell, so if it breaks, I can just buy another, then I have 2 to swap parts.

Anyone have a link to a site/resource where it tells you what years have parts compatability?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Try and live life without regret. Maybe by jumping on that (failed) project it lead to getting the DT Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Try and live life without regret. Maybe by jumping on that (failed) project it lead to getting the DT Smile

Yes, but what I meant was, don't knock Fazers because you weren't too discerning in your choice of one. They're still a good bike if you're after something versatile at not too high a price...and if you buy one that's fit to go!

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Been doing more research. Now thinking of a ZZR600. They look good, fairings, comfortable as a commuter, but fast.

Cheap as hell, so if it breaks, I can just buy another, then I have 2 to swap parts.

Anyone have a link to a site/resource where it tells you what years have parts compatability?

Ive had a few (still have a 2004). I stand by my claim its one of the best all round middleweights.

The earliest D models are probably best avoided now the plastics are rare if you smash them.

E models 1993 onward are what you want. The entire run of e models is parts compatible and you can get decent chinese fairing kits on eBay for them if needed.

The E model saw some minor changes over its 15 year run. I think around 1995 adjustable forks, later in the 90's the dash gained a digitalclock. Towards the end (either 03 or 04) exhausts became stainless and the frame became black.

Weak points are the tokico 4 pot callipers on the front (common on 90's kwaks and can be an arse to bleed) these can be replaced by nissins from a late 90's blade.

Stock rear shocks by now will be saggy (even low mileage they were a bit pogo stick). YSS do a replacement which transforms the bikes handling.

Be aware though it is a heavy sport tourer. Yes you can rag it hard, lean it over but anyone half decent on a 600SRAD is going to outhandle and accelerate you. However in return for a bit of lardiness you get serious all day comfort, a 600 motor that actually has some bottom and mid range, very good fairing and the ability to strap on a crazy amount of luggage.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:21 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
CorriganJ wrote:

Ive had a few (still have a 2004). I stand by my claim its one of the best all round middleweights.

The earliest D models are probably best avoided now the plastics are rare if you smash them.

E models 1993 onward are what you want. The entire run of e models is parts compatible and you can get decent chinese fairing kits on eBay for them if needed.

The E model saw some minor changes over its 15 year run. I think around 1995 adjustable forks, later in the 90's the dash gained a digitalclock. Towards the end (either 03 or 04) exhausts became stainless and the frame became black.

Weak points are the tokico 4 pot callipers on the front (common on 90's kwaks and can be an arse to bleed) these can be replaced by nissins from a late 90's blade.

Stock rear shocks by now will be saggy (even low mileage they were a bit pogo stick). YSS do a replacement which transforms the bikes handling.

Be aware though it is a heavy sport tourer. Yes you can rag it hard, lean it over but anyone half decent on a 600SRAD is going to outhandle and accelerate you. However in return for a bit of lardiness you get serious all day comfort, a 600 motor that actually has some bottom and mid range, very good fairing and the ability to strap on a crazy amount of luggage.

Alright sounds perfect for me - I was looking at the late 90s models but good to know they are all interchangeable throughout the whole period I was looking at.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:11 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, you could do a lot worse than a ZZR6 for a first bike.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

That would be bodytard.

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:

Okay - change the question:

Reccomend me bikes please. No size restriction, but as a new rider I don't think I need a litre sports bike.

Will be used mostly for country lanes / B roads, all year round (so probs fairings to keep rain off me?). Very occasional motorway use (like a 6 hour ride to see family for christmas. so probs fairings for comfort on longer journeys?). Perferably a fairly upright seating position for town riding but not essential. Possibility of a top box and small panniers. Cheap and old, but with parts availability.

These are good suggestions above^

But if you want to choose for yourself, here's something important to consider on the note of handling. A low centre of gravity makes the bike easier to manage. Also smaller wheels make handling at slow speeds and tight sharp corners easier, where as big wheels will be better at long sweeping corners at high speed.

It is unsurprising you were struggling on a dual sport: high centre of gravity - both the rider and engine are quite high up and moves the centre of mass very high off the ground. This is only really useful for actually offroading, standing out the saddle where you need to let the bike rock about over the terrain.

Consider a cruiser style bike, they are really easy to handle. Or if you are wanting a sportsbike, look for one with a low seat height and centre of gravity - plenty of sportsbikes are orientated like this so there are many good options.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:20 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was set on a zzr600 then went and sat on one, seemed really low down, obviously could be that the one i sat on was lowered or something, but im 5'10 and my feet were flat on the floor and a bend in my knees. I know they ride lovely by those who have spoke about them, could be that the one i viewed was shite.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case what about a ZX6R, '98-'02? Bit taller, lighter, sportier.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/kawasaki/zx-6r/

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:19 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience

1) The rider/confidence, have you looked up countersteering? I'm surprised no ones mentioned it but always surprised at how many people haven't heard of it!

2) Tyres! if you have a contact of a couple of square inches you need them to be good! I usually go for decent dual compound tyres but different bikes suit different tyres too! Track tyres FTW (like metzeler racetec etc) but they wear out really really fast! so for road use I currently have Pirelli angel ST's they are well suited to how I ride and give me plenty of feedback so I like them, but that's not to say you will!

3) Suspension set up - If its not good or has issues like seized parts etc then the tyre will not be able to do its job correctly and you will not have a fun time! A few quid getting the suspension set up to your weight can dramatically improve the bikes cornering ability

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

17” rear wheel, radial tyres and cartridge forks. That’s what makes a bike handle.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2