Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Parking pass on a bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:40 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Parking pass on a bike Reply with quote

Hi BCF, font of much biking knowledge.

Here's a question for you. My office has just implemented a new policy concerning our underground car park. Currently the man on the gate just lets me in, but from Monday we have to use an electronic credit card sized pass to open the gates (we think, until it happens nobody can really be sure).

Does anyone have a solution for this? My commute is 50 miles each way and I don't want to lose the pass, but also I don't want to have to hunt out my pass from my top box or pockets when I arrive.

I was thinking of one of those armband ID pouches that you see doormen wear, and strapping it to my right wrist so I can swipe my hand over the sensor to let me in...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003CK2H7O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2KVF7QXNCLV8H&psc=1

Does anyone on here have the same issue, and if so how have you gotten around it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:43 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been considering one of those but I can't find one with a removable cover that stops it being visable.

I'm not supposed to display it off site so can't have the pass showing whilst riding to work.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine it'll be a contactless tag of some sort. Normally these come in two forms: "credit card" or key fob.

Might want to look at something like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61aO3k1fQyL._SX466_.jpg

So either a lanyard round your neck or the retractable thingy clipped to a belt loop.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glue a plastic zip bag on the inside of your right glove.

Card goes in that. You open the gate by harry-pottering the sensor with the back of your hand.

Worked for me for years using the M6 toll.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:49 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small tank bag.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried various solutions and arrived at the one you've hit upon.
Viper Tactical Arm Band
I put it just above my elbow and turn it so the card faces inwards. (I want people to see the cool dude in the helmet, not the pie-faced old git in the photo-card, nor my name.) Moments before arrival I turn it round, flex my (right) bicep at the card reader (incidentally raising a fist at the security gatehouse) and a cloud descends as I enter the site. I guess it would be slightly less convenient if the card reader is on the left (needs neutral gear).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:14 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I would imagine it'll be a contactless tag of some sort. Normally these come in two forms: "credit card" or key fob.

Might want to look at something like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61aO3k1fQyL._SX466_.jpg

So either a lanyard round your neck or the retractable thingy clipped to a belt loop.

I've got three of those already. One for pedestrian access to the site in question, one for another site and one for the card I have. However, my jacket is thick and has ten poppers and a zip on the front, and I have two necktubes and a fleece on underneath. It's not practical to undo my jacket and pull out a lanyard. If it was, I'd do that. I probably didn't make that clear in my original post. Also, the car park access is pretty busy, and I can't hold anyone up for more than a few seconds. A belt loop one is just crazy as I have to ride 50 miles on motorways with a card flapping out under my waterproofs? No thanks.

This particular pass has no photo and is just plain white (the pedestrian passes do have photos, but I don't use those to get into the car park).

I have a tank cover type thing on the bike but the tank bags for it are extortionate, and I'm changing bikes soon, so a tank bag is out of the running. Also I'd likely have to remove my gloves in order to unzip it which defeats the point, I may as well wear a lanyard around my neck. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

I think Jimbo is probably closest and validates my original idea (which I know is something of a cognitive bias, but as above, the other suggestions aren't really ideal).

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How close to the reader does the card need to get? Our site access gate reads the card from a few feet away, so in the car you just wave the card near the window without having to open it and on the bike just having my card in a pocket or even in the topbox is enough to open it.

If it’s like a contactless card kind of deal then I would probably stick it in the back of a glove. The ideal would be like they do with ski lift passes and have a little pocket in the arm of your jacket. In fact if you a Google ‘lift pass pouch’ a few options come up.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:30 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
How close to the reader does the card need to get? Our site access gate reads the card from a few feet away, so in the car you just wave the card near the window without having to open it and on the bike just having my card in a pocket or even in the topbox is enough to open it.

If it’s like a contactless card kind of deal then I would probably stick it in the back of a glove. The ideal would be like they do with ski lift passes and have a little pocket in the arm of your jacket. In fact if you a Google ‘lift pass pouch’ a few options come up.

We're not sure as it's a new system. With the current system you have to make contact with a little grey square outside the gate. The holder thing that I posted at the top of the thread is also listed as a ski pass holder and is used by doormen and the military for ID supposedly. It does say 'perfect for motorcyclists' so it's probably my first port of call.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of options I used.

Lanyard round the outside of your neck and card tucked in a pocket.

Other option was I have a screen on bike. Stuck a small plastic folder on the inside which had a popper to keep closed.
Just used to pull it out and scan.

Our passes do both gates and doors, thank god. But stupidly like yours need to touch the box now, even then they fail to work far to often.. Before you could just get it close and it worked.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In contrast I have trouble leaving the work site when I'm aboard the R1. It doesn't trigger the sensor buried in the tarmac, whereas the Kawasaki will. I have the same trouble at the traffic lights exiting IWM Duxford. If no car joins behind me I have to jump the lights. I can only assume there's not enough iron low down on the Yamaha.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:16 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
A couple of options I used.

Lanyard round the outside of your neck and card tucked in a pocket.

I kinda like that idea but seeing as I have a 40 mile motorway commute before I get to slower roads, I suspect I'll just strangle myself doing that.
iooi wrote:

Other option was I have a screen on bike. Stuck a small plastic folder on the inside which had a popper to keep closed.
Just used to pull it out and scan.

I thought of that but I thought it might be a bit fiddly.

iooi wrote:

Our passes do both gates and doors, thank god. But stupidly like yours need to touch the box now, even then they fail to work far to often.. Before you could just get it close and it worked.

I don't actually mind that it's a separate pass as it can be left strapped to my jacket. It means I won't forget it or not be able to get into the office.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:02 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear jeans under my textiles, my lanyard is around a belt loop of the jeans, comes out between my textiles and card holder lives between Little Minty and the tank. No damage to paintwork and I know exactly where it is when I get to the reader (which is on a slope up to the car park shutter).

Only downside is it gets a bit damp on a wet day but I have another lanyard on my desk to swap over. Our passes are the photo cards typeto enable us to move around the office through locked doors that are then car park enabled so we have to have them on us all day.

I assume you can't just slalom round the gates? Obviously I can't as we have roller shutters.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:11 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not work related but at the Tyne Tunnel there was a charge for motorcyclists. The operators of the tunnel began realising why massive queues were building at certain times - it was being caused by bikers hunting for that tunnel pass or fumbling for change for the barriers. The result is motorcyclists now travel free at the tunnel. An automated camera system recognises bikes and lifts barriers for them as they get close.
Not similar to your situation but a few rain damaged/lost passes or queues building at your works car park might have management seeing a problem they had not foreseen?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:50 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
In contrast I have trouble leaving the work site when I'm aboard the R1. It doesn't trigger the sensor buried in the tarmac, whereas the Kawasaki will. I have the same trouble at the traffic lights exiting IWM Duxford. If no car joins behind me I have to jump the lights. I can only assume there's not enough iron low down on the Yamaha.

Put a magnet on the sidestand. Put the stand down as you pass over the loop. Or a big magnet on the inside of the bally pan.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to swipe or use a blipper every day (depending which car park I am going in to) and I just put them in my lower right bike jacket pocket, which over the years has either been zipped or pop studded shut.

I have to stop on a steep slope so it works as follows..... stop in neutral, right foot on the rear brake, gloves off and pushed into gap between handlebars and screen, out with the card to swipe or the blipper to err blip, back in the pocket and ride in to the car park with the gloves still off.

My biggest problem is remembering to take the card out of my bike jacket if I use a car to go to work as it is my only way of getting into work or printing stuff without relying on other people.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:30 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
I wear jeans under my textiles, my lanyard is around a belt loop of the jeans, comes out between my textiles and card holder lives between Little Minty and the tank. No damage to paintwork and I know exactly where it is when I get to the reader (which is on a slope up to the car park shutter).

Only downside is it gets a bit damp on a wet day but I have another lanyard on my desk to swap over. Our passes are the photo cards typeto enable us to move around the office through locked doors that are then car park enabled so we have to have them on us all day.

I assume you can't just slalom round the gates? Obviously I can't as we have roller shutters.

They've just fitted new bifold gates that are like a steel fence when shut. If I was to gain access without authorization I would bring down a whole world of pain on myself as the site is considered pretty sensitive. Not military or secret or anything, just pretty sensitive.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:21 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming its a short range RFID card, I would attach it to my glove or cut out the chip and glue it to the zip on my jacket cuff.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Assuming its a short range RFID card, I would attach it to my glove or cut out the chip and glue it to the zip on my jacket cuff.

Errrrr.... no Shocked

Get a light, a really really bright one and hold up an RFID card to the light. You should see the chip as a dark blob and a thin antenna wire running round the edge of the card.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:01 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ski lift pass holder? the ones that retract into your pocket

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:36 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Errrrr.... no Shocked

Get a light, a really really bright one and hold up an RFID card to the light. You should see the chip as a dark blob and a thin antenna wire running round the edge of the card.

Hence why I said short range RFID, where the antenna should be integral in the chip.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I have this problem on my ZZR too. I’m not sure I can even remember leaving the works car park through a green light, I seem to have to bust them constantly. I’m expecting one of the security guards to chomp at me but they’re either too busy eating donuts or have cottoned on why I do it every time (other than just impatience)!

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Parking pass on a bike Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Hi BCF, font of much biking knowledge.

Here's a question for you. My office has just implemented a new policy concerning our underground car park. Currently the man on the gate just lets me in, but from Monday we have to use an electronic credit card sized pass to open the gates (we think, until it happens nobody can really be sure).

Does anyone have a solution for this? My commute is 50 miles each way and I don't want to lose the pass, but also I don't want to have to hunt out my pass from my top box or pockets when I arrive.

I was thinking of one of those armband ID pouches that you see doormen wear, and strapping it to my right wrist so I can swipe my hand over the sensor to let me in...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003CK2H7O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2KVF7QXNCLV8H&psc=1

Does anyone on here have the same issue, and if so how have you gotten around it?

I just keep my pass in an outside pocket (my left usually) then remove one glove to show it. I’ll then not bother replacing glove but just rest it on the tank while I park up...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Hence why I said short range RFID, where the antenna should be integral in the chip.

I've seen short range ones that have the same antenna. Best check before cutting Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:04 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pass remains company property and there's no chance I can cut it up, and I don't want to lose it as I have to pay £5 for a new one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2