Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike maintenance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

the_eel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:41 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Bike maintenance Reply with quote

Newbie rider, middle aged, spent 8 years doing the commute on a 50cc (actually it was 49cc lol) but have aging relatives that live a couple of hours away so I needed to step up to something that won't mind doing motorway miles.

so I bought a Yamaha ybr 125 and will need to get something bigger when I (hopefully!) get my full bike license. I never thought I'd get excited by a bike but I chuffing love it! it scares the shit out of me sometimes, though!

I love my bike so want to keep her in good nick. are there websites / youtube videos anyone could recommend that will help me keep her maintained? I have no experience at all but want to learn. I really need a regular schedule that I can stick to and look out for.

thanks Smile

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grease the chain, pump the tyres, change the oil with regularity. Wash off road grit this time of year but don't go mental around the brake calipers with a jet wash.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:08 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the haynes manual. It will have a list of routine maintainance tasks in the first section including when and how to do them.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy has some clear, straightforward Youtube videos on the YBR.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ngraphic/videos
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above
Buy manual, regularly check chain, tyres oil etc.
The Haynes is pretty good, I have one here as the owner has
shown no interest in prising the pages open.

Here's a blog which has some useful tips and pics
https://ybr125owner.blogspot.com/2014/06/yamaha-ybr-125-blog-index-page-contents.html

I haven't examined it in detail, but it seems pretty accurate and if nothing else its handy for reference.
as the colour pics are better then the Haynes.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you don't have one already...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1gugn3a6gthato3/YBR125%20Owners%20Manual.PDF?dl=0
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local college did a bike maintenance course, got a city and guilds qualification out of it. More importantly, I met some fantastic fellow riders and learnt a shitload of things not to do! Oh, and fixed my bike for free with the best tools money can buy!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Bike maintenance Reply with quote

the_eel wrote:
Newbie rider, middle aged, spent 8 years doing the commute on a 50cc (actually it was 49cc lol) but have aging relatives that live a couple of hours away so I needed to step up to something that won't mind doing motorway miles.

so I bought a Yamaha ybr 125 and will need to get something bigger when I (hopefully!) get my full bike license. I never thought I'd get excited by a bike but I chuffing love it! it scares the shit out of me sometimes, though!

I love my bike so want to keep her in good nick. are there websites / youtube videos anyone could recommend that will help me keep her maintained? I have no experience at all but want to learn. I really need a regular schedule that I can stick to and look out for.

thanks Smile

Not sure I'd want to be on a 125 on the motorway but here are some little checks to go through, if you don't already. Weekly / fortnightly, depending on mileage. Keep an eye on state of wheel bearings by getting the bike on the centre stand (or paddock stand), and trying to move rear wheel left and right. Front is harder, esp w/ no main stand but if bike has someone, get friend to lean on back of bike to lift front and repeat checks. Any play could be a bearing worn. Any vertical play at rear could be trouble w/ bearings in shock linkages (if it has any). Monitor chrome on stanchions for excess oil - could be sign of damaged fork seals. Feel for notches in headstock bearings - any slight resistance when steering could be an indication of wear, typically at ten and two o'clock. Chain tension is a more regular check esp. this time of year when wear occurs more quickly - just feel for play of about an inch at the tightest spot, and make sure that at the slackest spot there's not a marked degree more. You don't want two inches, really. Clean the chain with decent rags / petrol or similar every 100 miles - lube w/ EP90 or whatever. This will make gear changes much slicker. Do "powder" checks weekly.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:39 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haynes Manual.. get one. has a list of routine maintenence, how2 sections on how to do it, and at when.
If the bike isn't brand new, get the book, find the list and work your way down, doing everything, on the assumption, NOTHING has been.. 'cos it probably hasn't! Especially on a 125, or of it had, it probably hasn't been done properly"
A few tools might be useful too... dont get over enthusiastic for multi-piece socket sets and power tools... humble hand tools are cheap, they work, and often work most reliably and offer most 'feel' whilst your at it.
Also donnt worry too much about torque settings or torque wrenches. There's not a lot on the routine maintenance list that begs a critical torque; and humble hand spanners are sized to proviode pretty close to the normal torque they need anyway.. hence the 'feel' thing, and on a motorbike, especially a little YBR, the critical torques are usually LOW ones, and quoted to stop you shearing them... gram a typical work-shop torque wrench, sized for the effoff tight torqques of stuiff like car cylinder head bolts.... thje scale probably wont go down LOW enough for much on a motorbike, and you'll pick the closest number on it, probably 3x or 10x higher than you really want, cos the units are different, and consequently actually start shearing stuff, perversely to why the torque settings were quoted to start with!
B~U~T, the answer is:-
1/ get the Haynes
2/ get a simple tool-kit, and follow the list of 'routine maintenence' covering all that should have been done, but probably never has.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Mike said was, buy a decent socket set and good screwdrivers and hand tighten shit if you are a gorilla!

Last edited by Kentol750 on 13:46 - 22 Jan 2020; edited 1 time in total

wintelf94
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
As above
Buy manual, regularly check chain, tyres oil etc.
The Haynes is pretty good, I have one here as the owner has
shown no interest in prising the pages open.

Here's a blog which has some useful tips and pics
https://ybr125owner.blogspot.com/2014/06/yamaha-ybr-125-blog-index-page-contents.html

I haven't examined it in detail, but it seems pretty accurate and if nothing else its handy for reference.
as the colour pics are better then the Haynes.

Sure this is more clear. It is worth a look, may just unlock the issue.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once in a while Lidl do a mini socket set that includes hex sockets, covers just about everything you'll ever need to undo on any bike. Torque wrench is a good investment too, there's plenty of things on a bike you can easily bugger up by over tightening. Only other thing that springs to mind is a spark plug socket. Keep an eye on chain slack, my YBR125 needed adjustment ridiculously often, like every few hundred miles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:53 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Bike maintenance Reply with quote

the_eel wrote:
I really need a regular schedule that I can stick to and look out for.

+1 Haynes. Gives you the schedule as well as the how....albeit Youtube is useful to double check what the out of focus photos and incorrectly labelled "illustration 14b" mean.

WD40 is very good for cleaning stuff, repelling moisture.

ACF50 is very good at stopping rust. But its pricey and only really needs to go on late Autumn before the gritters are out. And if applied to thickly, attracts grit (careful of scratches)

You can use 90w Gear Oil or Chainsaw oil for chain lube instead of buying £10 cans of chainwax.

You can (at your own risk) use car engine oil 10w40 (if its ACEA A3/B4), but given the bike only takes 1.2L or something, Motul 5100 10w40, or Shell Advance Motorcycle, or Castrol Power will be spot on.

If the bike still has the standard Chinese tyres, think about replacing them with something (anything) branded.

Enjoy!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1