Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike after 125, is a 300 worth it??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:38 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

To address peoples comments (and I'll keep it generic)

1.) Yes, the 300s are built down to a budget because people won't pay 1000cc money for a 300, even if they cost nearly the same to build. This means cost cutting is essential for that segment. Cheap suspension, cheap brakes, lower build quality etc.

2.) The Street Triple and MT-09 are a bit much for a n00b. My street Triple is great fun, but it is something of an animal, and will surprise you if you're unwary. I'm not saying it's a lethal b'stard like a '98 R1 or a TL1000S or something, but I'm saying it's urgent, sharp and urges you to ride like a nut. That's why it's the bike I've owned for the longest out of all of my bikes, and I'll hopefully never get rid of it.

3.) The MT-07. Every review I've read, every opinion I've heard, every video I've watched all say the same thing. That it's great fun in the same vein as something like an 09 or Street Triple, but that its a lot cheaper and doesn't have quite so much power. The newer 2018 onwards one is supposed to be the one to go for. Alternatively I could reccomend the heavier ER6/Z650 or the Suzuki SV650... but we all know what the forum thinks of those don't we?

The Kwak is heavier but really nicely built, and the Suzuki is lighter in older incarnations, but the current one has gained a bit of bloat and they were never built all that well. That's why the MT seems to be the one to go for.

I'd not bother with a 300. My first big bike had 55ish bhp, and that did seem like a rocketship for about a week. I think any rider would get pretty bored of a 300 in very short order.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on if its an only bike though?

Saying don't bother with a 300cc and that 55bhp bored you after a week isn't much good to an A2 guy/girl? You might as well say sit at home until you can be eligible to do an A test, and more importantly insure a 600-900cc bike.

I've had a fair few bikes under 300cc and found fun and lasting enjoyment from them for all different reasons. But then again I've never really owned just one bike at a time or not had a car to drive all the time I've owned bikes. So I've never had to slog up and down 100mile stretches of wet soggy windy motorway everyday on a small light commuter or learner bike out of necessity, and I never will.

But I've had the following small bikes as examples and can honestly say I've enjoyed riding them all, and none of them bored me after a week:

Honda CG125, Yamaha XT125, Kawasaki KMX 125 and 200, Aprilia SR125, Yamaha TZR250, and probably a few more bikes under 300cc besides.

I think the 90's ethos and attitude of pass test ASAP and get a big loud sports bike to thrash round on Sundays and evenings has long passed too. With more traffic, worse roads and bikes getting too much for mortals to handle, your 600-1000cc race replicas and that whole era and interest has gone now.

I haven't got a problem with some of the 250-500cc bikes that the manufacturer's are putting out now, but they could be so much better too. Then again if they cost big bike money, are really focused, or have high end componentry, and are too demanding then they won't sell anyway.

Remember that the A2 regulations have crippled the manufacturers too. KTM tried to go light, trick and fairly serious with the 390cc bikes, and ended up having to restrict the power well below the 47bhp limit to stay legal.

I remember when the Aprilia RS250 came out, and as gorgeous as it looked it was over GSXR600 money, so what is the average stable human being going to buy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve has a very good point. A trick small cc bike is hardly any cheaper to build than a bigger bike. Yamaha looked into bringing the 3XV TZR over in 92/93, worked out the selling price would be slightly more than the FZR600 and dropped the idea. Because of the nature of Japanese licensing laws a large percentage of riders wouldn’t ever ride a big bike anyway, so the fact that the small bikes were expensive was irrelevant. Granted we have our own (but less draconian) stepped licensing over here now, but the difference is there’s less “enthusiasts” these days who would coo over all the latest tech in a bite size package. The culture now is “small bike, must be cheaper” hence the tolerance for horrible 4t twins, crap suspension and cheap finish.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:22 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case I'd be buying the bike closest to the 47bhp I could get, which is not a 300 in most cases. Maybe a 390 Duke...

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:12 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
The culture now is “small bike, must be cheaper” hence the tolerance for horrible 4t twins, crap suspension and cheap finish.

This comment is bit about face. 'Horrible' 4T twins, crap suspension and crap finish... well you have probably just described the best part of twenty years output from almost any of the European and British factories for quarter of a century.... when the bench-mark motorcycle was the Triumph 'Speed-Twin' derived Bonneville... and the Japanese factories followed that vogue with bikes like the XS500/650 and later the W650, long enough....

Its a curious phenomenon, that the Japs, having gone techno-crazy in the 80's, on a wave of protectionist Japanese legislation and Banking regulation that let them, have fallen back on the exact same sort of thinking, sited as having 'Killed' the incumbent Brit-Bike.... and more... come around to a 'Product', not a lot different to it... Ie a cheap to manufacture, lower rent build quality parallel Twin...

Also curious is that the Japanese, after building their reputations on these techno-wonders of the 70's, 80's and 90's, have, like the Brit-Bike-Industry of old, 'retrenched' in to the 'cream' market of 'big bikes', where they can be sold at a premium rather than just on cost or performance, and farmed out manufacture of smaller bikes and more budget bikes to places like Tiwan and China... oh-so-very much like the criticisms shouted at Brummie managers forty years ago.....

As such, the lesson of ages, would seem to be that the 'boring' four-stroke twin, actually isn't such a bad idea, and actually its the over convoluted two-strokes and multi-cylinder marvels that have been relegated to the side-lines, as having 'proven' to be not such a great thing..... technically marvellous, maybe... but only because of an essentially subsidised economy that let them get manufactured for 'consumer' sale, and 'exciting' only because of the technology, and the performance that came with it.... to a now ageing demographic of buyers, who where significantly ';sold' motorbikes, not as a mere way to work, but 'life-style-accessory'...... who are now moaning as the wheel revolves full circle....

Ie; the 'crap suspension, 4T twin' comment, IS peculiarly arse about. They techno marvels of the intervening years are the anomaly in the middle, not the bikes either end of it, that are remarkably similar both in form and function....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Do you have any joy in your life whatsoever?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:46 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy MT07, restrict to 47bhp. Be happy.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:33 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know very little compared to these guys but as a relative new rider id not have gone for a 300 when trained on a 600+ bike

there are bikes of around 600cc which wont blow your mind too much powerwise but will be nice to ride.

having said that the baby blade 400cc 60bhp, alot of 600's are 70-99bhp

but it is all about what you want and need etc. I test drove a TZR 250 once and was rapid lol but no idea what there like on big runs etc.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:48 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leearchertog wrote:
I test drove a TZR 250 once

You don't ride a plane, you fly one.
You don't fly a car, you drive one.
You don't drive a bike. You ride one.

You may all return to your normally scheduled squabbling about bike capacity....

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:08 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Leearchertog wrote:
I test drove a TZR 250 once

You don't ride a plane, you fly one.
You don't fly a car, you drive one.
You don't drive a bike. You ride one.

You may all return to your normally scheduled squabbling about bike capacity....

ffs man, it was when i wasn't a biker just a young daft idiot, so the term applies. As you were soldier

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leearchertog wrote:
ffs man, it was when i wasn't a biker just a young daft idiot, so the term applies. As you were, soldier.

FTFY Laughing Standards must be maintained Wink

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

reminds me of that time someone said, when they were at the garage, their petrol cap fell on the floor. No, apparently it didn't. It fell on the ground. Cue floor/ground debate.

good times, good times

back when bcf was a proper message board

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leearchertog wrote:
I test drove a TZR 250 once and was rapid lol

Laughing Laughing Laughing

One in race trim might be, a 2MA / 1KT roadbike is as soft as shit.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:51 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
Leearchertog wrote:
I test drove a TZR 250 once and was rapid lol

Laughing Laughing Laughing

One in race trim might be, a 2MA / 1KT roadbike is as soft as shit.

They do feel rapid though, even though realistically they probably make 40bhp on a good day.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:18 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

well il take that on the chin as i deserve Smile

yes was 45bhp but a handy guy had just tuned it to be super smooth, so that power and at a weight under 150kg plus back then i was lean and smaller so all in all power felt good, plus id not Ridden much else.

for the record id also say Ground if out and floor if indoors. Smile

wilbur
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:10 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I think I'm pretty well qualified to answer this. I rode GPZ500s s for YEARS until about 5 years ago when they just started not to be reliable enough for a works bike any more. I wanted something lighter and there really want that much available and I saw a CBR300R for a very good sale price.

Its a fun bike. Its light. Its an overbored 125, its true, but I still enjoyed it and kept it until 2018. BUT I do some motorway riding and whilst it was quite capable of sitting there doing the speed limit, when it came to overtaking you had to thrash the nuts off it and at prolonged high speed the revs were just too high for it to be comfortable. I'd get off with my shoulders tensed and my teeth grinding, it really wasn't a lot of fun.

I've now got a Ninja 400 and I can honestly say the handing is in a different league and the extra HP makes al the difference.

Just my 2p.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:37 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilbur wrote:
OK I think I'm pretty well qualified to answer this. I rode GPZ500s s for YEARS until about 5 years ago when they just started not to be reliable enough for a works bike any more. I wanted something lighter and there really want that much available and I saw a CBR300R for a very good sale price.

Its a fun bike. Its light. Its an overbored 125, its true, but I still enjoyed it and kept it until 2018. BUT I do some motorway riding and whilst it was quite capable of sitting there doing the speed limit, when it came to overtaking you had to thrash the nuts off it and at prolonged high speed the revs were just too high for it to be comfortable. I'd get off with my shoulders tensed and my teeth grinding, it really wasn't a lot of fun.

I've now got a Ninja 400 and I can honestly say the handing is in a different league and the extra HP makes al the difference.

Just my 2p.

after so many years riding what stopped you getting a bigger bike? genuine question.

wilbur
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:15 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

after so many years riding what stopped you getting a bigger bike? genuine question.

I generally wanted a lighter bike even before the last GPZ500S (one of the last registered in the UK in 2002) started to fry rectifiers on a monthly basis. I'm approaching the wrong side of 50 and I like a bike I can pick up if/when I drop it.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:09 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilbur wrote:
Quote:

I generally wanted a lighter bike even before the last GPZ500S (one of the last registered in the UK in 2002) started to fry rectifiers on a monthly basis. I'm approaching the wrong side of 50 and I like a bike I can pick up if/when I drop it.

fair enough, was just curious.. my mate had the gpz500 was a nice bike. were they on the heavy side?

wilbur
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:47 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leearchertog wrote:

fair enough, was just curious.. my mate had the gpz500 was a nice bike. were they on the heavy side?

About 180KG so around 16KG heavier than the Ninja 400 .
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2