Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Watching old TV stuff..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Watching old TV stuff.. Reply with quote

Year 2019. Have TV licence. Record live TV onto PVR or DVD.

Year 2020. No TV licence. Watch TV recorded as above.

Legal, or not legal?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:56 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal, or not legal?

Shocked

Go directly to jail; do not pass go, do not collect £200.

RIP. The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Legal, or not legal?

Shocked

Go directly to jail; do not pass go, do not collect £200.

RIP. The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

To clarify, the material was recorded last year when the premises was licenced.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Watching old TV stuff.. Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Legal, or not legal?

Do you have a tv in your house?
Can you still tune into ordinary television?
Do you have a dish/aerial?
Do you watch anything from the BBC?
Can you get programs from teh net?

The faceless grey men from HM whatever department who hide in the background and take you to court will win and bend you over.
End of/

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Watching old TV stuff.. Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Legal, or not legal?

Do you have a tv in your house?
Can you still tune into ordinary television?
Do you have a dish/aerial?
Do you watch anything from the BBC?
Can you get programs from teh net?

The faceless grey men from HM whatever department who hide in the background and take you to court will win and bend you over.
End of/

They might try, but it's the answer to the specific question I'm interested in. To illustrate further, if a TV program was home recorded onto DVD 10 years ago, when the premises was licenced, is it legal to play it today, when the same premises is not licenced?

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:06 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Watching old TV stuff.. Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

They might try, but it's the answer to the specific question I'm interested in. To illustrate further, if a TV program was home recorded onto DVD 10 years ago, when the premises was licenced, is it legal to play it today, when the same premises is not licenced?

The law is quite specific that you need a TV licence to watch or record a live broadcast.

If you watching something that you recorded to DVD 10yrs ago then you do not need a TV licence as you are not watching or recording a live broadcast.

Whether or not you are breaking any copyright laws is incidental.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided you went on the their site and declared no licence needed - rather than just stopped paying - there's not much chance of being visited anyway in my experience.
But old recordings of live TV definitely aren't an issue.
How would they even know, especially if you declined to let them in to rummage about in your stuff.
They wouldn't get in here to do that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:49 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Provided you went on the their site and declared no licence needed -

When the kids flew the nest I no longer needed one & they used to come 2-4x a year & there was nothing I could do to stop them. Locked gates, dogs loose, removed implied rights of access etc etc etc.

These fukwits all seem to be self employed agents working on commission. They mostly last 3-6mths in the job before finally giving up & getting a proper one. You can be nice to them or you can be nasty, it makes no difference. It was the next level up supervisor bloke who lied in court to falsely win a search warrant, bought 2x coppers with him & tried for 45mins to get my TV showing a live broadcast.

If you genuinely don't access a live broadcast then you really do need the wits to know the laws & be prepared to use those laws against them. Perjury in court to falsely win a search warrant is a much more serious crime than no TV licence.

The current missus likes her soaps & whether she bought one or not it was made clear that it is entirely on her head.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:56 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a receiving license, so technically that is legal, but I think there are some provisions in law for the length of time you're technically supposed to keep recorded material from broadcast sources. I don't know if it's ever been enforced, but the TV licensing people could start something that might convince you to either stop or get a license.

You will need to prove that you have no ability to receive broadcast TV, which now includes over the internet I think... so you'll need to tread very carefully, at least until Boris and his ilk debate the decriminalisation of license evasion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kit352
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:27 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question is if you can still receive current broadcasts. That's what they will go after. It happened to me. When you go to court they will bend the laws to rule in their favor.

What happened to me was i had no cable service but i did have internet through Virgin. Virgin reported me to the licensing dept that i was potentially watching BBC content without a license. Many people eventually showed up at my house and while the TV was dumb and i was only watching DVD's and stuff they zeroed in on my PS4 as being able to stream iplayer content and therefore i was guilty. 5 year back taxes cost was the penalty.

FYI- if they didnt use the ps4 as the chief reasoning for being able to watch the BBC they were quite happen to go after my tablet next. Its a system built for you to loose. In court the question they ask is there a way in your house to watch or record the BBC. Any internet connected device is capable to downloading the iplayer within 3 clicks so you are guilty. The rules as they are written now are older but in court they just modify them to cover pretty much any device. If its not the tv then its the gaming console. If not that then its your tablet. then its your phone, laptop etc. Guy before me lost because the pub below him offered free wifi for customers and he could use that free signal to stream the BBC.
It is really a maddening system when your caught up in it. Now i just pay as they are watching me. Some people get away with it for years, others not so long. It took them 3 months of me moving house with no license to really start coming after me and maybe 6 months to when i was in court. If i didn't move and have Virgin rat me out i would probably still be living tax free.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:50 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit352 wrote:
The real question is if you can still receive current broadcasts. That's what they will go after. It happened to me. When you go to court they will bend the laws to rule in their favor.

What happened to me was i had no cable service but i did have internet through Virgin. Virgin reported me to the licensing dept that i was potentially watching BBC content without a license. Many people eventually showed up at my house and while the TV was dumb and i was only watching DVD's and stuff they zeroed in on my PS4 as being able to stream iplayer content and therefore i was guilty. 5 year back taxes cost was the penalty.

FYI- if they didnt use the ps4 as the chief reasoning for being able to watch the BBC they were quite happen to go after my tablet next. Its a system built for you to loose. In court the question they ask is there a way in your house to watch or record the BBC. Any internet connected device is capable to downloading the iplayer within 3 clicks so you are guilty. The rules as they are written now are older but in court they just modify them to cover pretty much any device. If its not the tv then its the gaming console. If not that then its your tablet. then its your phone, laptop etc. Guy before me lost because the pub below him offered free wifi for customers and he could use that free signal to stream the BBC.
It is really a maddening system when your caught up in it. Now i just pay as they are watching me. Some people get away with it for years, others not so long. It took them 3 months of me moving house with no license to really start coming after me and maybe 6 months to when i was in court. If i didn't move and have Virgin rat me out i would probably still be living tax free.

This didn't happen, at least not in the way you describe it.

I'm able to download paedophillia within 3x clicks. We all are.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
...You will need to prove that you have no ability to receive broadcast TV, which now includes over the internet I think... .

Wait, wut? Anyone with an internet connection now needs a tv licence? When did that happen?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:09 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

You will need to prove that you have no ability to receive broadcast TV, which now includes over the internet I think... so you'll need to tread very carefully, at least until Boris and his ilk debate the decriminalisation of license evasion.

Point of order. It's not having the ability to do so. It's using it to do so. Otherwise everyone with an internet connection would have to have a TV licence. They also have to prove beyond reasonable doubt you were using it if it goes to court.

Regarding the recordings. People tried to use this as a loophole to get out of paying the licence fee at one point. They watched their TV a day behind on their video recorder.

This didn't fly because it was ruled that the VCR was a "receiving device" (which it is) and at the point of recording, it was receiving live TV broadcasts and therefore required a licence.

That kind of answers the question and because they made such a fuss about it at the time and based prosecutions on it, they can't go back on it now. So if the recording was made using a VCR in a licenced property, that was legal in terms of a TV licence. When you chose to re-play that recording has nothing to do with it. Interestingly, by recording TV when you don't have a licence, you actually produce physical evidence of your crime.

Copyright law is a whole other can of worms.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:30 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit352 wrote:

I can pretty much garauntee that at some point in the conversation, you admitted to watching TV. The verbosity of your post shows how and why.

The first and main mistake you made was letting them in. No search warrant? Fuck off.

What happened to you is an employee from capita plc knocked at your door because your address was on his list of addresses who have no licence and he's paid commission on every one of those he prosecutes.

You engaged him in conversation at the door and he "cold read" you to find out you used virgin broadband. He then bullshitted you that they had informed him you could have been using the internet to watch BBC (as could anyone who has an internet connection).

Having successfully got you flustered. You let this employee of a private company into your house where he homed in on your games console. He would have implied that this was definitive proof that you were breaking the law without actually saying as much (or might have outright lied). The aim being to keep you both slightly flustered and on the defensive.

They then have two tricks. The first is to keep you talking until you admit you watched iplayer. The other one is they get you to fire it up and demonstrate that it can receive iplayer -at which point they just witnessed you watching iplayer-. You seem like a talker so I suspect option 1 is what happened.

Next news they have enough "evidence" to prosecute. Again, you are a slightly flustered talker so in court they'll have just kept browbeating you until you owned up to it.

In short. You got played.

Do not talk to TV licencing. Do not allow TV licencing into your house unless they are executing a search warrant (for which they need to show a good reason to a magistrate, not having a licence is not a good reason and would be accompanied by a police officer).

It's a strict liability offence so if you admit at all to accessing iplayer, watching TV regardless of how, you admitted guilt. Even if it was by accident.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
I'm able to download paedophillia within 3x clicks.

wtf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:20 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Do not talk to TV licencing. Do not allow TV licencing into your house unless they are executing a search warrant (for which they need to show a good reason to a magistrate, not having a licence is not a good reason and would be accompanied by a police officer).

In my case he stood in front of a magistrate & said that he'd witnessed the TV playing a live 6pm news program through a window. He didn't & he couldn't have because there was no aerial lead to the TV, not just a disconnected lead but no aerial feed at all in the room. I'm told that they word it differently these days & just claim that they have 'reasonable suspiscion' to believe that live broadcasts can be received.

Boy, did he squirm when I pointed out to him, in front of his 2x impeccable witnesses, that he had committed perjury to obtain his search warrant.

Incidentally, if/when they do turn up with a valid warrant, don't obstruct them. You don't have to be nice to them, just don't obstruct them, let it happen & go with the flow.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:29 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
JackButler wrote:
I'm able to download paedophillia within 3x clicks.

wtf

In your world, everyone with internet access in the UK needs a TV licence, which is the least of your worries because we are also all paedophiles, terrorists, malcontents, marxist revolutionaries etc etc etc.

In my world, I am innocent until proven guilty & there's this strange thing, almost a mythical legal beast called "Mens Rea".

A little legal knowledge can be a dangerous thing, but at the same time it can also be enlightening. There's a good reason they don't teach this shit at skool . . .

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh God, he's one o' them
Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:34 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Do not talk to TV licencing.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

The people who end up in court are the ones who try to be smart arses.

If you do not engage in any conversation with the TV Licensing goons then they'll leave you alone because they're much more interested in the people who do talk to them and do let them in their homes.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:37 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
I'm able to download paedophillia within 3x clicks. We all are.

Three clicks? That's either extremely unhealthy or an outright lie.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:07 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
Do not talk to TV licencing.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

The people who end up in court are the ones who try to be smart arses.

If you do not engage in any conversation with the TV Licensing goons then they'll leave you alone because they're much more interested in the people who do talk to them and do let them in their homes.

I had visits from them twice at the same property and on both occasions gave them the sharp end of my tongue, along the lines of 'Y U no read the declaration sent to the licensing authority that says I don't have a tv'?
Both times they threatened to come back with a warrant and both times they were told to go ahead, they still wouldn't find internet or a tv point let alone anything that plugged into those points and my old 3310i might have been high falutin for the time but it couldn't stream shit.

The cheeky fuckers had the temerity to read me my rights on my doorstep several years before that, when I not only had a tv but was waving the licence, that they were telling me I didn't have, in their faces.
Ordinarily I'd recommend not opening the door to anyone who thinks they can waltz right in but when you're holding back a snarling collie/lab cross, with an evil set of teeth bared, who's pissed at strangers being near his porch you don't have to worry about anyone hanging around. Persuading the postie to hang around long enough to post the mail, protected by the mail cage inside the (glass) front door, was another matter!!!

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Watching old TV stuff.. Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

End of/

No they won't, unless they can prove you're watching live TV. Their investigators won't lie, if they do and are caught it's perjury. They also do not have any right of entry, so letters in the bin and door shut in their faces. Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:47 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Watching old TV stuff.. Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

No they won't, unless they can prove you're watching live TV. Their investigators won't lie, if they do and are caught it's perjury. They also do not have any right of entry, so letters in the bin and door shut in their faces. Smile

With an added option of "Get off my land now." if you're in England. Failure to do so means they are trespassing and you can legally use reasonable force to remove them.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:59 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Watching old TV stuff.. Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

With an added option of "Get off my land now." if you're in England. Failure to do so means they are trespassing and you can legally use reasonable force to remove them.

Likes I said, a little legal knowledge is dangerous, as well as enlightening.

If situation ever arises where I'm on your property & you ask me to leave, if/when you assault me I assure you that I will defend myself.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Watching old TV stuff.. Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Likes I said, a little legal knowledge is dangerous, as well as enlightening.

If situation ever arises where I'm on your property & you ask me to leave, if/when you assault me I assure you that I will defend myself.

(My emphasis)

You said: "Likes I said, a little legal knowledge is dangerous, as well as enlightening".

So refer to case law, please, where stinkwheels described action has held to be wrong, and your proposed actions are excused.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2