Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What was the point in the 650 bandit over the 600.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:24 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: What was the point in the 650 bandit over the 600. Reply with quote

Ive been thinking lately, why did suzuki bring out a bike with just 50cc more than the bandit 600. AND make it with slightly less BHP.?
Seems nuts to me. Bite more torque but I do wonder what the plan was.
600 then 750 then 1000 etc makes sense. but alot effort to just add 50cc.

anyway, felt like a moan so there it is lol

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro emissions regs.

Euro 4 I believe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:48 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah right. there not tested on MOT though are they?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, I tried out both (first a Mk 1 600, then a 2007/8 650, I think). EFI and whatever emissions stuff really made the 650 seem like a completely different bike - not just tamed but a completely different beast. Throttle response was very, very different. An aircooled 600 Bandit with wide bars and a throaty exhaust can be fun. Thumbs Up

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:52 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
A few years ago, I tried out both (first a Mk 1 600, then a 2007/8 650, I think). EFI and whatever emissions stuff really made the 650 seem like a completely different bike - not just tamed but a completely different beast. Throttle response was very, very different. An aircooled 600 Bandit with wide bars and a throaty exhaust can be fun. Thumbs Up

different how? the 650 is the only suzuki ive ridden, does ride well to me, beowulf can makes it sound nice, but did wonder why the drop in power over a 600.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leearchertog wrote:
different how? the 650 is the only suzuki ive ridden, does ride well to me, beowulf can makes it sound nice, but did wonder why the drop in power over a 600.

In lots of ways, but probably the most important is the feeling of total control via the right wrist.

It's sort of like playing a piano vs playing a high-quality softsynth piano preset via a MIDI keyboard. On the computer, the latency between depressing a key and hearing the sound is a matter of a few milliseconds. You cannot "hear" that wait, but it's there. Try as you might, the delay is too brief to be perceived. Your brain tells you it's instant. However, move over to a piano and play the same tune on that, and you feel that a sort of "padding" has been removed, and as a result it feels more natural and emotional to play. You also feel it easier to improvise.

Of secondary importance:
The softsynth recreates perhaps 4 to 8 harmonics to give you a piano sound. The piano creates countless harmonics, and however quiet those might be, you are likely to be able to distinguish the very best softsynth sound as a simulation distinct from the piano. The piano will also be tuned by hand, and will sound in tune. Whereas the softsynth will be perfectly in tune. These little signatures and markers of the respective sounds are enough to give information to the subconscious mind that something clinical is going on with the softsynth. The minor physical differences between the hammers and strings will produce slightly different harmonics and sympathetic vibrations up and down the scale on a piano. It's imperfect and irregular, like the natural world. A softsynth when/if it tries to reproduce these imperfections does so with an algorithm that tries to introduce randomised values at regular intervals. An improvement, but still, not quite there.
In short, the burble of carbs is different due to imprecise fuel metering, variations in air temperature and pressure, etc. and you harmonise with the bike in a different way from an EFI bike because your sensory feedback isn't just the speed at which you're travelling but a whole host of other things which you perceive but don't consciously "notice".

Lots of analogies and words, but at the end of the day, give it a try one day (on a good example) and see which you prefer. Many people prefer EFI, for lots of good reasons. However, there is something else going on, separate from the numbers and which can probably only be described subjectively, in the difference between carb'd and EFI'd bikes.

The Bandit 600 was far from a perfect bike though. It had a fun element but the weight seemed to be carried a bit high. Quality of fit and finish were another issue, I seem to remember.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:12 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Leearchertog wrote:

In lots of ways, but probably the most important is the feeling of total control via the right wrist.

It's sort of like playing a piano vs playing a high-quality softsynth piano preset via a MIDI keyboard. On the computer, the latency between depressing a key and hearing the sound is a matter of a few milliseconds. You cannot "hear" that wait, but it's there. Try as you might, the delay is too brief to be perceived. Your brain tells you it's instant. However, move over to a piano and play the same tune on that, and you feel that a sort of "padding" has been removed, and as a result it feels more natural and emotional to play. You also feel it easier to improvise.

Of secondary importance:
The softsynth recreates perhaps 4 to 8 harmonics to give you a piano sound. The piano creates countless harmonics, and however quiet those might be, you are likely to be able to distinguish the very best softsynth sound as a simulation distinct from the piano. The piano will also be tuned by hand, and will sound in tune. Whereas the softsynth will be perfectly in tune. These little signatures and markers of the respective sounds are enough to give information to the subconscious mind that something clinical is going on with the softsynth. The minor physical differences between the hammers and strings will produce slightly different harmonics and sympathetic vibrations up and down the scale on a piano. It's imperfect and irregular, like the natural world. A softsynth when/if it tries to reproduce these imperfections does so with an algorithm that tries to introduce randomised values at regular intervals. An improvement, but still, not quite there.
In short, the burble of carbs is different due to imprecise fuel metering, variations in air temperature and pressure, etc. and you harmonise with the bike in a different way from an EFI bike because your sensory feedback isn't just the speed at which you're travelling but a whole host of other things which you perceive but don't consciously "notice".

Lots of analogies and words, but at the end of the day, give it a try one day (on a good example) and see which you prefer. Many people prefer EFI, for lots of good reasons. However, there is something else going on, separate from the numbers and which can probably only be described subjectively, in the difference between carb'd and EFI'd bikes.

The Bandit 600 was far from a perfect bike though. It had a fun element but the weight seemed to be carried a bit high. Quality of fit and finish were another issue, I seem to remember.

I see where your goin with that, but mines not EFI its a carb bike. not all 650 are EFI. which adds to the confusion

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:01 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leearchertog wrote:
I see where your goin with that, but mines not EFI its a carb bike. not all 650 are EFI. which adds to the confusion

Yeah, the first 650 was an air cooled, carbed bike. Same as the 600 except 650.

And I too always wondered what the point of that was.

The later 650 was a water cooled, injected machine and a completely different animal.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:58 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Leearchertog wrote:

Of secondary importance:

Teffers has a.sock account...

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 26 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Nah, this guy can spell and is on nodding terms with grammar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:18 - 26 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Nah, this guy can spell and is on nodding terms with grammar.

I did come away like Neo from matrix "i can now play piano" 😎
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 91 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1