Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Most miles in a day

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:12 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Most miles in a day Reply with quote

What's the most miles you've done in a day?

We are heading out into Europe this summer and my mate has planned the route with the first day being just north of London to the Eurotunnel and then stopping at Passau Germany around 800 miles.

That's going to be a hard day for me I think.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a fair old drag, but doable. In the comfort stakes I've found between 500-600miles in a to be limit of enjoyable riding, unless of course, you're not interested in stopping for the odd break, photo stops, town/museum visits etc

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

310miles.

Bedlington (north of Newcastle) to Beckenham (SE London). Picking up a brand new XT660Z Tenere.

It was around this time of year. My bum was numb from the vibrations and it took me two days to warm up!

They were impressed a 'southerner' was going to ride it home given they were about to shut up shot to help a mate get the sheep in before it turned too cold! Laughing

Last edited by LustyLew on 18:00 - 21 Jan 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gresy sur Aix to Carlisle, 948 miles.
Who's broken the 1000 mile mark?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:58 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Most miles in a day Reply with quote

myvision wrote:

416 miles. Cork to Ballycastle Co Antrim via the scenic route. ZZR1100.
No aches or pains.

I did over 2000 miles in six days on a trip to Scotland.

Quote:
We are heading out into Europe this summer and my mate has planned the route with the first day being just north of London to the Eurotunnel and then stopping at Passau Germany around 800 miles.

IMO, 800 miles in one day is too far for safety and comfort. I know the
'Iron Butt' crowd think nothing of doing 1000 miles a day. I would prefer to
enjoy rather than endure the holiday.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Most miles in a day Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
I would prefer to
enjoy rather than endure the holiday.

I had, but the tour was effectively over, and I just then seem to get this thing in my head: "get home asap!" Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:12 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1,200 miles in ~26 hours from Spain to Amsterdam.

But that was driving and with two people sharing the driving. Razz

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
1,200 miles in ~26 hours from Spain to Amsterdam.

But that was driving and with two people sharing the driving. Razz

It's amazing how much stamina the promise of some decent weed will give you Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Most miles in a day Reply with quote

myvision wrote:

About 680. Bedford area to Penzance (non motorway route) to take my motorbike test (failed), then straight back again. I knew I'd done it, but it wasn't too bad.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1020 miles, Derby to Monaco, 23 hours.

I had to be lifted off the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes my effort of 550 miles (Sheffield to Adenou) seem a bit wimpy! I was on a Panigale though if that adds any chump points?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a copy of bike mag from the early 80s somewhere and in one of the reader's letters a guy reckons he did a thousand miles in 24 hours without using motorways. Or without breaking the speed limit. He might mention a few other incidental details - but that's basically it. He doesn't explain what roads he was on, what bike he was riding, or owt else. It's quite a strange letter but it has the ring of truth to it somehow. Since I read it a couple of years ago I've puzzled over how it was done. And even IF it was. I do tend to believe it though, for some unknown reason.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 1K, ZZR1100 - But that was a "need to get back to the UK, right now" situation, lots of motorways, lots of speeding. If you want to enjoy it, keep it below 500, and ideally around 300 a day. More than that and you're riding to get somewhere, not enjoying getting somewhere.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stonehaven near Aberdeen to Bristol one sunday afternoon/evening
on a K100 RS just stopping for fuel and tea etc
Google maps says it's 489 miles
The ride back from Sligo was a similar distance.

Nowhere near an Iron Butt challenge, but I've never had any interest in
clocking up big miles just for the sake it.
I generally like to take my time and stop whenever and where ever I feel like it.
Long continous rides are boring as well as a literal arse ache!
It's the people,views,destinations and things you discover on the way that make it interesting for me.

I'd hate the idea of being rushed through Europe or anywhere else for that matter.
What's the panic to get to Passau anyway?
It's full of foreigners y'know.......

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 500, all highway at "normal" speeds. Not comfy on a GSXR1000 in full leathers. Would have been fine if there were corners.... I was sitting on the tank at times trying to get comfortable and blood back into my legs. Even debated ramming a cop off his Harley cos it looked comfy.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

850 on a GSXR600.

I hurt just thinking about it

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 700 miles on the continent having to get back for a ferry in one day. I'd had a puncture which was unrepairable so lost a day getting a new tyre fitted.

TBH that was too much for me, even on a Wing. I was losing concentration and while i don't think I actually nodded off I wasn't far from it.

I didn't have a problem with comfort but that could have been a downside when I got tired. Comfy bike, warm day, music on the stereo and a tired rider, not good.

After that I only ever did a maximum of 500m a day and tried to keep it under 300. As said before, why do it when it stops being enjoyable.

I have a friend who did the 1000 miles in 24 hours Iron Butt challenge on a ZRX, Mad.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Most miles in a day Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
myvision wrote:

About 680. Bedford area to Penzance (non motorway route) to take my motorbike test (failed), then straight back again. I knew I'd done it, but it wasn't too bad.

WTF! I just took mine in Bedford. I failed too as it goes Rolling Eyes but only 5 miles home. Retake in Wellingborough as folklore then stated 'they pass everyone there' Smile - and they did.. 'twas 1982 though.

Longest ride in distance - only bout 250 miles, Not that keen on actually riding the buggers..

Biggest achievement Dawlish Warren to Bedford on my Fizz - 10 hours.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Last edited by A100man on 22:32 - 21 Jan 2020; edited 1 time in total

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Ardmair Point, near Ullapool in the Highlands, down to High Wycombe area in one hit, trying to outrun a storm. Just over 600 miles only stopping for fuel and caffine.

Taking your time is a little more fun. Blasting across the whole width of Germany at warp speed is going to be a slog and you'll miss out on some cracking places along the way.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Most miles in a day Reply with quote

myvision wrote:
..the first day being just north of London to the Eurotunnel and then stopping at Passau Germany around 800 miles.

..and what if it's raining?

I had (one of the) most miserable rides of my life to Liverpool this year in the pissing rain and dark and it was May.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did LE to JOG in one hit without using motorways: approximately 860 miles Shocked , sadly due to an unforeseen stoppage, I went over the 24 hour target. I did it in 27 hours.
I just did it for the challenge and because I wanted to.

Personally I think 300 miles in a day still gives you plenty of time to enjoy places to stop off on the way.
Motorways and main arterial A roads make it incredibly easy to do big miles in this country.

I like something a bit different, for example in the dim and distant past, we would all go from West London to Southend or Portsmouth or Brighton on our 50cc mopeds and think nothing of those sort of distances.
Talking of long distance miserable rides: Preston to Ipswich in late January when I bought my Hyosung GT250r.
The sun was shining all the way but the temperature never rose above -4.
fugg that was a cold painful ride home.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Most miles in a day Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

WTF! I just took mine in Bedford. I failed too as it goes Rolling Eyes but only 5 miles home. Retake in Wellingborough as folklore then stated 'they pass everyone there' Smile - and they did.. 'twas 1982 though.

TF was I was based in the Penzance area, but up country at the time of the test. One of the first things I did in Penzance was unknowingly upset the examiner, and it went to rats from there. Next time I took the test was in Bedford on the Ural 650cc M63 outfit, a bit of a surprise for the examiner there, and all was well, although there were some very interesting occurrences on the test. I seem to remember that the test centre was in Bushmead Avenue, somewhere around there.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashford Kent to a place North of Glasgow Airport (the name of which escapes me*) and back, just over 1000 miles I think.

It was 1983, prior to the full completion of the M25, so in those days it was quicker to plough through London (not so bad on the way back, it was the middle of the night).

Did the pick up at about 9 am, arrived at the destination somewhere round 6 pm, handed over the package and went back again, got home at something like 6 am.

Did it on a Z1300 with a too small universal screen, which helped a bit, but I was still battered, which is why the return trip took much longer, every stop (quite often, they aren't great on fuel) I took a bit more time over a tea!

It's the only time I've been to Scotland and I wasn't there long enough to remember any of it.

Being an impetuous youth, I didn't bother to work out it would've been quicker and less arduous to take a return flight from Gatwick, get a cab to and from the final destination and still make a tidy profit on the job.

Still, it was an experience, although not one I wish to repeat Laughing

* Helensburgh I think it was

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:28 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tend to concur with those that suggest 'about' 300 miles a day is about right.
A lot depends on your approach and aspirations though. I have tended to baulk at much over 2-3 hours in the saddle at a stretch.... apart from anything else, after about an hour I'm gagging for a fag... fuel tank range is an influence too. The old VF did anything from about 13 (seriously!) if you caned it twixt round-abouts on the by-passes, to a useful 70 or so 'bimbling' about sight seeing. Tank held about 5 gallons, though so had a useful range either way, b~u~y did catch me out a couple of times, like the first 'bimbling' outing when the red fuel warning lamp came on and I swore, convinced I couldn't possibly have used that much, then looked at the trip and realised I'd done over 300 miles... and again, when I made it into the petrol station round the corner from where I lived, with the engine coughing and dtuttering, and I discovered that Range-Rover like thirst if you crack the taps twixt roundies!
SO.... How many miles YOUR botty good for? How many miles can you get from a tank full?
800 miles in a day.. personally I think a tad ambitiouse.. that means 'averaging; over 100mph for most of it, which may be legal on a German Autobahn, b~u~t... I'd still have to stop for a slash and a fag a few times, and more than likely a couple of refuels, and to stretch my legs and look at the tyres... and grumble at how square they were getting blasting that many miles on that kind of road, and grumbling how much fun I'd NOT be able to have on them come the mountains....
End of th day, it's your arse, Kimo Sabi, your tyres, your fuel... B~U~T I'd be grumbling at your mates optimism, and suggesting a more realistic 4-5oo miles a day, with plenty of comfort stops and photo-ops.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cottbus to Calais. That was on an MZ ETZ251 a couple of years ago. So mileage was mainly limited by the fact I couldn't go very fast.

630 miles according to Google Maps. Took 11-12 hours non-stop (toilet and fill up breaks only) if I recall.

Last edited by blurredman on 12:15 - 22 Jan 2020; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2