Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New register with number plate but without VIN

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

fv43576
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:03 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: New register with number plate but without VIN Reply with quote

I have other scooter at my brother farm barn in Norfolk, it is a Suzuki CS50 Roadie 1982 which is have a reg number plate but the VIN number on the right side near the steering column it should start with with JSA1 and end with six number. But it seem not be there? is this a metal or plastic label or it just printed on the metal of chassis without label?

The bike it was my grandad but he is no longer with us so no V5 or MOT document to be found. My grandmother is not here as well it is going to be a difficult to deal with register.

The bike is in perfect condition has been cover rag since 2006. The HPI details that I pay for £14.99 it doesn't show as report stolen but the VIN number is secret I wish it show me that number. The MOT history with that reg it did not present on the system.

Is the DVLA form V765 right one to register as a new owner without V5? on the form a details it said have to sign the previous owned but my grandad is not here!

What about the Q Plate would this lose my tax and MOT exempt in 2020 when the scooter become reach 40 years old?

I hope is there anyway to bring this scooter back on the road again with my name on V5. I would be very devastating if it got go to scrap.

Thanks
Fab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the vin from the reg no via a "dealer" hpi check.

fv43576
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:27 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
You can get the vin from the reg no via a "dealer" hpi check.

Any HPI trade? what about this trade.hpi.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: New register with number plate but without VIN Reply with quote

fv43576 wrote:
I have other scooter at my brother farm barn in Norfolk, it is a Suzuki CS50 Roadie 1982 which is have a reg number plate but the VIN number on the right side near the steering column it should start with with JSA1 and end with six number. But it seem not be there? is this a metal or plastic label or it just printed on the metal of chassis without label?

It should be "stamped on the steering head tube" on that bike. Stamped in with a hard metal tool into the steel of the steering head. Sometimes the number's hard to see, if painted over or dirty. Perhaps have a very careful look, or have you already?

fv43576
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:46 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: New register with number plate but without VIN Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
fv43576 wrote:

It should be "stamped on the steering head tube" on that bike. Stamped in with a hard metal tool into the steel of the steering head. Sometimes the number's hard to see, if painted over or dirty. Perhaps have a very careful look, or have you already?

I only can see is CS-50xxxxxx nothing with 17 digital start like JSA1

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:51 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre 99 didnt have a requirement to have a vin plate.

Look on the headstock for a frame number instead.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/0-identification-of-the-vehicle

fv43576
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:54 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/0-identification-of-the-vehicle

I have to remove much paint as I can it seem the previous owner or my grandad has re-paint the chassis.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:00 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

fv43576 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I have to remove much paint as I can it seem the previous owner or my grandad has re-paint the chassis.

And? Your.point being?

fv43576
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:16 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was say the frame has been paint over the number, I have remove some of the area on the right side of neck steering frame till I have found CS50-XXXXXX and I thought this was the VIN number but i wasn't so I got to wire bush more paint off to find the VIN.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:20 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't have a vin number. That's the frame number. They weren't obliged to have a 17 digit vin number until 1999 and yours is 1982.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

fv43576 wrote:
I was say the frame has been paint over the number, I have remove some of the area on the right side of neck steering frame till I have found CS50-XXXXXX and I thought this was the VIN number but i wasn't so I got to wire bush more paint off to find the VIN.

It is the frame no.
As an example my 1984 RG250WD had the frame GJ21A-124105
As nobby said, no requirement on bikes to have a 17 digit vin no till quite late compared to cars.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the owner has passed away then whoever is the inheritor of the estate is the new owner. In normal times I would suggest writing, ringing or maybe web chatting with the DVLA to explain the situation. Shouldn't be a problem if it's got a number plate but the V5's gone missing.

However, given current circumstance I wouldn't bother. Spend the next few months restoring the bike back to whatever condition you believe is acceptable, ride it about on the farm and back roads and revisit the documentation when things have (hopefully) gone back to normal.

You might even consider just storing in for the next two years and come back to it when you can register it as "a vehicle of historic interest" Smile

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

fv43576 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

If you know whete the number starts, you should not have to remove too much paint. The MOT man will want to look at it when you go. I think DVLA will just want to check that the number plate & frame number match.

Edit: Oh, and be careful when you remove the paint from around the number, you don't want to brush out the number itself! I might NOT be tempted to use a wire brush, but paint a line of paint stripper instead.

fv43576
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:38 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand now the bike is 1982 have different type of VIN numbers as the later year.

I will deal with DLVA later.
Thanks Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:59 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

fv43576 wrote:
I understand now the bike is 1982 have different type of VIN numbers as the later year.

I will deal with DLVA later.
Thanks Thumbs Up

Dont say vin number. Dvla will get stuck on expecting 17 digits.

Say frame number.

fv43576
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:55 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thumbs Up

fv43576
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:55 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spoken to DLVA they said may can register my name but first I have to give them my detail said fill out a V62 form. I am not sure which section to tick? second or third?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

fv43576 wrote:
I have spoken to DLVA they said may can register my name but first I have to give them my detail said fill out a V62 form. I am not sure which section to tick? second or third?

I'd be inclined to tell the truth of the matter in (3). Others may have different opinions.

Say that your grandfather has died, that this motorbike has only just been found in his effects, and that you are the new owner, and that you cannot find the V5, so need a new one.

https://www.gov.uk/tell-dvla-about-bereavement/keeping-the-vehicle

fv43576
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:32 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing thanks, and all other member of forum thanks very much for all your help. without all you I would be helpless.
Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1