Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When Mexican beer attacks! Corona Virus

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 69, 70, 71  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame their diets of bat soup and Koala bears.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if those 3M face masks are genuine 3M or Chinese knock-offs.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
All these people wearing masks which are most unlikely to be at all useful.

They are effective at preventing others getting your diseases. That's what surgical masks are for. Get a respirator if you want to protect yourself, though surgical mask is obviously better than nothing.

The Artist wrote:

As I said before, I was supposed to be going to Shanghai in a few days time so I have been doing a lot of research and even plain surgical masks will help reduce the chance of infection.

They are the most practical way of reducing risk for most people as wearing full body biological containment suits is not realistic.

I expect to see more full head covering masks as the eyes are an easy entry for viruses.

Something like this (see link) would be a good idea. It is suitable for use with organic vapours. Personally I would also take a few surgical gloves and a bottle of hand sanitiser as well as thats probably the main route of transmission.

Respirator
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/gvs-elipse-a1p3-half-mask-respirator-with-read/

Respirator with mask
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/gvs-elipse-integra-a1p3-half-mask-integrated-w/

or if you are really paranoid...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scott-safety-promask-full-face-mask-no-filter-mask-only/81107
https://www.screwfix.com/p/scott-safety-pro2000-filter-a2-p3/469cc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it can often get you via eyes that would be equally important, even clear or tinted safety glasses would reduce the chance of expelled particles managing a direct hit.

The main thing you can do is imagine everything others have touched could be seething, not just door handles but supermarket trolleys and shelving for example.
Before getting hands near food of face if you've touched such places think what you are doing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
They are effective at preventing others getting your diseases. That's what surgical masks are for. Get a respirator if you want to protect yourself, though surgical mask is obviously better than nothing.

How big is the rather simple coronacirus? How well does the surgical mask (for that is what old matey was on about)? What does N-95 mean anyway? How many viral entities can get past/through? How many individual viruses do you need to be infected?

I'll leave those as rhetorical questions. If you're really interested you could look it up on Medscape, Business Insider/wuhan-coronavirus or wherever.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The main thing you can do is imagine everything others have touched could be seething, not just door handles but supermarket trolleys and shelving for example.
Before getting hands near food of face if you've touched such places think what you are doing.

..............🡅

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The virus isn't exactly floating around in the air, it's in the fine drops of saliva or whatever that get expelled when people cough or sneeze - they are somewhat easier to catch before you breathe them in.
Outdoors even in town chance of catching it are minimal, the big risks are places like London tube trains where people are crammed in conditions that wouldn't be allowed for livestock.
One infective peron could affect 100s there before feeling unwell.
Even a crowded pub or something is less risky.

At this stage there isn't enough to go on to indicate it will be anything worse than other recent scares like bird flu and swine flu.
They all spread worldwide but seemed to gradually lose potency and get lost in the normal background flu deaths.

On the other hand with social media these days it wouldn't take much for panic buying and 'something must be done' over reaction from government - like closing schools or demanding masks be worn in various places.
It would be reasonable to have a couple of weeks food in store like pasta and tins - now, not when a panic strikes because two cases confirmed in Birmingham and one might die.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

How big is the rather simple coronacirus? How well does the surgical mask (for that is what old matey was on about)? What does N-95 mean anyway? How many viral entities can get past/through? How many individual viruses do you need to be infected?

I'll leave those as rhetorical questions. If you're really interested you could look it up on Medscape, Business Insider/wuhan-coronavirus or wherever.

Surgical masks are little more than cough shields. An organic compounds respirator will block out saliva which is the means of infection etc. Personally I think the most critical protection is making sure your hands are definitely 110% clear of the virus, and washing your whole body several times after going out in populated areas in China. What's the point in a top notch mask if you take it off and infect yourself with your hands when you get home?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

An expert Rolling Eyes on the tv was saying that you need a mask with at least an ffp3 level of protection. The expert alsi said masks can be counter productive as expelled breath eventually wets the mask material making a nice trap and presumably culture spot for disease.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the virus being discussed here but for years I kept getting bad tummys, feeling like crap and simply unwell. I fixed it by doing something simple: After each food shop where I use a shopping trolley I clean my hands as soon as possible and thoroughly. It fixed everything that I was being infected with. Simple hand contact on a dirty handle can cause untold harm.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
An expert Rolling Eyes on the tv was saying that you need a mask with at least an ffp3 level of protection. The expert alsi said masks can be counter productive as expelled breath eventually wets the mask material making a nice trap and presumably culture spot for disease.

That won't stop the Asians wearing masks. The love their masks.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been presenting with some of the symptoms Sad

The person who works opposite me is a Chinaman.

It's all falling into place.
Puke

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people start karking it in Iran can we assume Trump has gone biological on 'muricas enemies?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby boomers are now starting to take medical advice from The Who, which according to Google:

"The Who are an English rock band formed in London in 1964. Their classic line-up consisted of lead singer Roger Daltrey, guitarist and singer Pete Townshend, bass guitarist John Entwistle and drummer Keith Moon."

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:46 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm concerned that plenty of figures for people affected and die......not heard any figures yet of survivors Crying or Very sad

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Baby boomers are now starting to take medical advice from The Who, which according to Google:

"The Who are an English rock band formed in London in 1964. Their classic line-up consisted of lead singer Roger Daltrey, guitarist and singer Pete Townshend, bass guitarist John Entwistle and drummer Keith Moon."

"I want to die before I get old"?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one month we've gone from

Celebrities donating millions to end the Australian bush fires.

To

Celebrities donating millions to end the Kung Flu pandemic.

But where were they in the middle of the month when we had the WWIII crisis?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
In one month we've gone from

Celebrities donating millions to end the Australian bush fires.

To

Celebrities donating millions to end the Kung Flu pandemic.

But where were they in the middle of the month when we had the WWIII crisis?

Booking their flights to the secret celebrity bunker under the Antarctic.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fed up of hearing about so-called 'celebrities' donating to worthy causes. The only ones worth hearing about are the ones who don't tell anybody....

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I'm fed up of hearing about so-called 'celebrities' donating to worthy causes. The only ones worth hearing about are the ones who don't tell anybody....

We had a Joanna Lumley shrine at a place i used to work on account she had once donated a few grand.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're even putting masks on their dogs now.

Still, I suppose it's better than eating them.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The virus isn't exactly floating around in the air, it's in the fine drops of saliva or whatever that get expelled when people cough or sneeze

Yep so China's fucked.

They have no idea about public hygiene or how disease spreads. They're genuinely Victorian with their understandings on this. My ex-girlfriend, a surgeon, had to be taught by me to cover her mouth when she sneezes.

The entire country is truly, astoundingly terrible with pubic hygiene. They think they're clean enough because they have more frequent showers than dirty westerners. Then they walk outside and cough, spit and sneeze wherever the hell they like, let their dogs and children shit freely in public, and don't get me started on the local food markets. Genuinely like a scene from Victorian England. Raw meat laid all over the place, dirty utensils, raw fish, the lot.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Personally I would also take a few surgical gloves and a bottle of hand sanitiser as well as thats probably the main route of transmission.

Woman at work loudly announced that all that hand sanitiser stuff is a waste of time and doesn't do anything.
I asked her what she meant, did she think they didn't kill bacteria and viruses?
No, they don't clean dirt off your hands so they're a waste of time.

Neutral

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Personally I would also take a few surgical gloves and a bottle of hand sanitiser as well as thats probably the main route of transmission.

Woman at work loudly announced that all that hand sanitiser stuff is a waste of time and doesn't do anything.
I asked her what she meant, did she think they didn't kill bacteria and viruses?
No, they don't clean dirt off your hands so they're a waste of time.

Neutral

And that's why they should never have been given the vote.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:47 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

I'm going with a masks are useful when people are spraying in the air or snotting on their hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vw0hIs2LEg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K_boO2oceI
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 2 of 71