75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Yes you are
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: all the oil came out my gearbox Reply with quote

So I've got a 2 stroke, luckily the hottest engine parts gets lubricated without engine oil.

Managed to run all the gearbox oil out the crankcase - there wasn't a good gasket seal to say the least.

I've abandoned my bike in an alleyway with a lock and cover over it after it died on the way home. Today I'm coming back with tools, oil, and silicon sealant and going to try to get home.

Am I basically fucked anyways?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:13 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it conked out because it had no transmission oil in, it is probably fucked.

Post pics of stripdown. I'd imagine it would be an object lesson in the principals of friction welding.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: all the oil came out my gearbox Reply with quote

Ice Burger wrote:
it died on the way home

What sort of death did it die? A smooth slowing down to a stop one or a sudden one with lots of crunching noises, or some other sort? He asked him, with kindly interest.

Oh, and what bike/engine?

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: all the oil came out my gearbox Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

What sort of death did it die? A smooth slowing down to a stop one or a sudden one with lots of crunching noises, or some other sort? He asked him, with kindly interest.

Oh, and what bike/engine?

Died without a lot of drama waiting at the lights, no nasty sounds, just lost low end power and died. Tried the starter and I couldn't get it running again. I'm about to head out the door now, I'm hoping a cold engine could be enough of a help to get everything spinning again.

Was riding a Honda nsr 125 obviously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: all the oil came out my gearbox Reply with quote

Ice Burger wrote:
Died without a lot of drama waiting at the lights, no nasty sounds, just lost low end power and died. Tried the starter and I couldn't get it running again. I'm about to head out the door now, I'm hoping a cold engine could be enough of a help to get everything spinning again.

Was riding a Honda nsr 125 obviously.

Unsure why "obviously", but still; I'd guess that if it is gearbox failure, it will be (ball?) bearing failure, perhaps the whole thing and the cases won't actually be scrap. Wally or not, good luck!

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: all the oil came out my gearbox Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Unsure why "obviously"

What, you mean you don't keep a book of who posts and which bikes they have, and everything they've posted? Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:53 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tut Tut Tut Tut

The NSR is obviously uninsured. Wink

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read the post title, I thought it was a euphanism based on the op's post about Tinder Laughing Laughing

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
When I read the post title, I thought it was a euphanism based on the op's post about Tinder Laughing Laughing

Same here.
Wondered if we'd be treated to a Tinderised rough sex adventure
yeah I know it's the workshop section, but BCF innit

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it like my generator and has a low oil sensor or is it more basic than that?
I've a feeling you're going to be fine and what happened was the burning gearbox oil formed a whisker over the spark plug gap.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

An NSR125 you say? Derestricted perchance?
The engines seized for a pastime when they were a new release, hooned and mistreated by learners 30 years ago surviving models must be like rocking horse shit. Derestrict them and they just seized up quicker.
Not a bad looking bike though.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:37 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

"Full engine rebuild done 600 miles ago
The carb has just been tuned, the engine is running at it's very best! - engine starts instantly and doesn't need the choke."

Wink

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

"Full engine rebuild done 600 miles ago
The carb has just been tuned, the engine is running at it's very best! - engine starts instantly and doesn't need the choke."

Wink

I suppose it's had eleventy gazillion careful owners too? Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:52 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This bike has had some fame being passed round review networks, 14 previous owners in total. Presumably most of them experienced riders. Before me, the bike was last ridden in 2008"

"Bought it from a collector and had to spend a pretty penny to get the bike to the condition it's in now. All together >£1000 spent on parts and work.”

"All the fluids have been changed"

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"This bike has had some fame being passed round review networks, 14 previous owners in total. Presumably most of them experienced riders. Before me, the bike was last ridden in 2008"

"Bought it from a collector and had to spend a pretty penny to get the bike to the condition it's in now. All together >£1000 spent on parts and work.”

"All the fluids have been changed"

You need to get out more. Laughing

The '600 miles since it's last rebuild' bit is enough to tell most NSR gurus that it's about due for another one.

wintelf94
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 26 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Is it like my generator and has a low oil sensor or is it more basic than that?
I've a feeling you're going to be fine and what happened was the burning gearbox oil formed a whisker over the spark plug gap.

Wow, this is so kind and encouraging. Makes one want to optimistically run to the bike and fix it. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1