Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cashless society

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Cashless society Reply with quote

We have touched on this at variuos times in other discussions but I came across this in my news feed.

New York City Stores Must Accept Cash, Council Says

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/23/nyregion/nyc-cashless-ban.html

Also according to the article other states have enacted the same laws.

I am actually amazed. I would have thought authorities would love a cashless society as there are so many plusses from their viewpoint.

I'm also surprised by businesses being anti cash. My local pub hates someone buying a pint and paying with a card as they say that's most of the profit taken up with a card transaction fee. They have a minimum £10 to use a card sign up but if someone buys a pint then has no cash there isn't much they can do but accept a card.

Maybe card fees are a lot less in the good ol US of A.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cash is still king in many places, and I hope it stays usable.

https://www.cardswitcher.co.uk/2018/04/credit-card-charges-small-businesses-pay/

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner we go cashless the better, in fact there's at least 1 pub which is cashless, made it onto the news a couple of years ago !! To be fair, I rarely use cash now, in fact, really only in my favourite chippy, that has so far not moved with the times, I live in hope.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:02 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do without the powers that be knowing every coin I spend, and on what, and when.

I recall a time when there were options to pay for things, happy days..

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as big brother is concerned cashless is a no brainer. You can track people by their payments. You can see where large sums of money come from and I can't see your local scumbag drug dealer carrying a card terminal with him.

Along those lines, can you sill buy a PAYG phone without registering it nowadays?

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:19 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking

Buy sim card preloaded, put in phone. No registering it required, or am I wrong. I have a 16 year old number I keep active on a pay as you go.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't dream of using my card in some of the dodgy looking fuel stations I've had to stop at on the bike, particularly the card-cloning mutha suckin Shell stations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
Thinking

Buy sim card preloaded, put in phone. No registering it required, or am I wrong. I have a 16 year old number I keep active on a pay as you go.

I bought a cheap phone and an O2 sim for cash. Pay for more time using cash.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:30 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but you is black and a criminal innit

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:34 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Along those lines, can you sill buy a PAYG phone without registering it nowadays?

Yes, and you can still top-up with vouchers or a pre-pay credit card bought with cash.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
As far as big brother is concerned cashless is a no brainer. You can track people by their payments. You can see where large sums of money come from and I can't see your local scumbag drug dealer carrying a card terminal with him.

Why not, I've see a few buskers and beggars in London with contactless terminals.

With services like sumup pretty much anyone can get set up to take card payments, how you explain the random payments should you need to is a different matter.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Why not, I've see a few buskers and beggars in London with contactless terminals.

With services like sumup pretty much anyone can get set up to take card payments, how you explain the random payments should you need to is a different matter.

I would say you must be pulling my plonker but I can just see some of the beggars in the Strand where I used to work pulling out a contactless machine. They were wearing designer shite that cost more than any clothes I had.

Even more amazingly I can see some of those yuppie twats giving them money by card. Rolling Eyes

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cash is far more useful. If things head toward being more cashless then I can see even more bargaining power if offering cash. If we do go that way then bartering will become more prominent.

With cash, cashless, wages direct to bank or wages paid in cash have a story. It might answer the USA thingy:
I worked at a site where wages were paid cash and weekly. Managers began demanding workers bank details so that workers could be paid monthly into their banks. No kind offerings were put forward by management. I refused because I had plans on leaving anyway plus I'm naturally an awkward b*stard. Another worker refused because he had some debts which would 'see' what he was being paid and would put some sort of claim to the money. (It was years ago so can't remember exactly but think it was a bank who he owed) Any taking of earnings would literally have left that bloke homeless until he could bargain with his debts. It was all bad timing for him or something.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the next town there are some restaurants which are cash only, I simply refuse to visit them.

In my opinion if you are cash only and bigger than a small shop or take away then you are on the fiddle. Cash means people paid off books, people not on the minimum wage and people on benefits whilst working.

There’s also the possibility of the shops being Used to clean money.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:43 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inb4 ID cards and cameras in my toilet etc....nothing to hide nothing to fear, right?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local curry house has a sign outside: "Half Price for Cash" Shocked I dunno if they even have a card machine!

Cash is useful but only in small amounts. For companies like Sainsbury and Tesco getting a security van to pick up cash is actually more costly than the card fees (they negotiate down the rate of the latter.) That's why they used to be so keen on debit card cashback at the tills.

Non-chain pubs and restaurants can run a little differently. Large amounts of cash is fine as you can just pay the staff wages from it, maybe some of the suppliers (CoD) and then the rest just slips down the back of the sofa Wink

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense for businesses to be cashless, less of a target for the business to be robbed, no need for staff to walk to the bank to to deposit the takings, more difficult for money laundering to happen. In our area, instead of giving cash to the homeless, there's an app you can use to pay to a fund for them. It's also better for thee staff, as they are far more likely to be paid legally, including at least minimum wage, correct tax and nation insurance amounts, also pension contributions...

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be long before we are all microchipped by law. New borns will have bar codes on them for tracking. 1984 is fucking real.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Cashless society Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I'm also surprised by businesses being anti cash. My local pub hates someone buying a pint and paying with a card as they say that's most of the profit taken up with a card transaction fee. They have a minimum £10 to use a card sign up but if someone buys a pint then has no cash there isn't much they can do but accept a card.

Maybe card fees are a lot less in the good ol US of A.

Do they not just charge a tenner for a pint in those cases?

I don't think the merchant's fees are any less here and I believe businesses pay fees if a customer uses a debit card here, I was under the impression that there are no merchant fees for debit cards in the UK.
The whole system is so different here that it is hard to make a comparison.
For example, I'm still paid by cheque on a weekly basis, I make up for the 19th century payment method by paying my cheque into my account using my phone - but it does mean that those paid by the BACS equivalent get credited on the Friday it's due whereas my cheque is unlikely to clear in it's entirety that day (for some reason if I pay it in over the counter at a branch of my bank $400 becomes instantly available at that moment and the rest clears the following morning), with it being the weekend sometimes a phone cheque deposit does not have any of the money available until the following Tuesday!! Sad

Some people, usually lower paid manual types if you get my drift, still get paid in cash, the government doesn't give a shit just as long as the business is deducting tax before handing over wages, there are so many loopholes in the minimum wage requirements of each state, that it doesn't really matter how you pay your slaves. Immigration might not be too chuffed but the IRS doesn't give a shit just so long as they get their cut.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:09 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
It makes sense for businesses to be cashless, less of a target for the business to be robbed, no need for staff to walk to the bank to to deposit the takings, more difficult for money laundering to happen. In our area, instead of giving cash to the homeless, there's an app you can use to pay to a fund for them. It's also better for thee staff, as they are far more likely to be paid legally, including at least minimum wage, correct tax and nation insurance amounts, also pension contributions...

Since when did everything being legal help the populace rather than hinder them, the black market is a necessary evil.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 26 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If things go cashless it'll be far easier for government to follow what you're up to. Big Brother is indeed getting very close.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:51 - 26 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Cashless society Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Do they not just charge a tenner for a pint in those cases?

Not if they want the customer to come back again Laughing

mentalboy wrote:
I was under the impression that there are no merchant fees for debit cards in the UK.

It's less for debit cards but there is still a charge. I'm not sure if that's changed since surcharging credit cards has been banned.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 26 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

Since when did everything being legal help the populace rather than hinder them, the black market is a necessary evil.

Because legitimate businesses pay tax, the collected tax pays for society. From benefits, to hospitals, schools for our children. They are all paid for by taxation. Why should one business opt out.

If we all opted out, we would be like Greece.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 26 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
I can do without the powers that be knowing every coin I spend, and on what, and when.

I recall a time when there were options to pay for things, happy days..

10,000 times this^.

Electronical monies have been proven to be fallible and internet baddies can and do steal it, mostly without you knowing until it’s way to late.
At least if someone tries to steal my cash , I might get the chance to punch them in the face.

I hope real cash is around for a long long time.

Those of you who prefer to use electronic/plastic payment, you crack on Thumbs Up .
Wonder what you’ll do when you have an issue with your bank and they block all your accounts?

“Sorry Sir your card isn’t working, would you like to pay cash? Oh you don’t carry cash sir, sorry Sir no sale”
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2