Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

High-quality Honda CG 125 carb rebuild kits

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

wulfprints15
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 26 Jan 2020    Post subject: High-quality Honda CG 125 carb rebuild kits Reply with quote

Hi guys, first post here.

Just bought my second bike, a 1996 Honda CG 125. It was refurbished about a year ago but not ridden much at all after that. From what seller said seems like less than half a dozen times in the past year or two.

It has issues when trying to run at high-revs. For instance, on the ride home, it would be fine one second but then suddenly start cutting out when I twisted the throttle any further than 1/4 to 1/2 ish (varied a bit each time). I don't mean stalling because the engine didn't necessarily stop running, it just started making a deeper exhaust tone and stopped producing power. I was struggling to maintain 25 mph on a relatively shallow incline at one point.

Strangely it starts up first time almost every time when cold BUT if it does stall after the above-mentioned symptoms it becomes absolutely impossible to start.

I believe this could be due to a couple of things:

The spark plug doesn't look all too shiny, so I'll be replacing that.

Noticed the battery terminals could use a bit of TLC.

Since it's sat for so long I reckon the carb could also use a bit of TLC.

That last point is where I'm having issues. I can't find a genuine (or even high-quality aftermarket) carburettor rebuild kit (new jets and gaskets etc) anywhere online. Does anybody know the best place to look for this in the UK?

It's, as far as I can tell, a genuine original carburettor. It says Keihin on the side, but that's all the markings I can see without starting to pull bits off the bike.

Cheers,

Jamie

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 26 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just searched for CG125 carbs and chinese copies go for a tenner these days Rolling Eyes

Definitely sounds like it's worth focusing on the carb but you also might want to check the air intake and filter - just to tick off the list.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strip the carb and check for gunk or tarnish from old fuel before jumping in with an OEM rebuild kit. Sounds like the idle circuit is good so emulsion tube,needle setting and air corrector settings would be my first port of call. Main jet will get a clean as you check the needle jet/emulsion tube etc. these things are as simple as carbs get. As a sanity check do make sure you have a good flow of fuel coming from the tap in both on and res positions as no amount of carb faff will fix a fuel supply issue, a blocked tank cap breather can cause all sorts of similar symptoms.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:24 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are hundreds of CG carb kits and CG copy carb kits on offer, esp on the bay... high-quality? that's probably the issue.. b~u~t.. start at the top.

Symptoms described don't necessarily sound like a worn out carb is 100% to blame. Start at the top, ans work down systematically and methodically.

First up, try a compression test, or just rip the top off and have a look at the bore and rings. Symptoms to my mind suggests it's not taking load and good odds that's knackered rings or bore, and low compression.

Dereclicts left laid up suffer this badly, 'cos iron piston rings in an alloy piston in a steel barrel corrode electrolytically due to the different electro-potentials of the metals, which results in the rings sticking in the piston grooves and not giving a great seal... any wear in there makes matters worse.

Personally, rather than fretting about carb-kits, I would start with a chinky barrel kit; last time I looked these were only about £30 for a CG, so I'd cut to the chase on tyhat one and tear the motor down, get rid of old bore, piston and rings and know that be good. Its 'cheap' and cheaper than a re-bore and new piston.. so what the heck.

Whilst the head off, I'd look carefully at the cylinder head. Good chance that valves and seats are pitted and corroded. In fact, good odds that on a CG the valve clerances have never been properly adjusted, and more that the rockers and or tappets peened and bantered... more stull that bad adjustment, probably wothouty the propper tappet key has chewed them even more....

On that notion, for the small cost, I'd get the proper tappet tools, (Part no's are in one of my how2's somewhere in profile), and a new pair of virgin tappets to replace any carnage in there, than I would with the head off, pop the valves, clean them up, clean up the seats, then properly lap them back in with grinding past. Eliminate that variable. OTMH the CG has no valve stem seals, or just one; if it has any, I'd swap them out whilst valves out.

Then I;d slap it all back together again, with the new barel kit, and be damned.... should be known good and eliminate so many possibilities at source. And the little CG motor is so crudimentary and easy to work on, it would probably take me less time than properly overhuuing a carb!

So, engine 'reconditioned' and back in the frame; I'd look at the rest of it.

A loot of assumed carb faults arent, they are buggered exhausts. ~I'd check that next, and again, for the cost of after-market CG copy pipe, probably just replace.

THEN I might look at the carb.... Going by date, I have an incling that it could be either the plain ca4rb, or the pumper. The pumper has a small plunger set up on the slide so that when the throttle was opened more quickly, it squirted neat fuel into the engine, to compemsate for incredibly lean jetting. Pumper carbs have a little piston and diagphram arrangement to do the pumping, and that diagphram can perish with age or modern ethanol fuels.... If a pumper, I';d be more worried by that than a rebuild kit, and probably looking to chunk it in favour of a plain slide carb, especially if planing to run regularly on modern Ethanol fuels.

But.. carbs, are not the mystical bit of kit they are often imagined, they are just a collection of tubes, and pretty innert, and dont readily wear out.

CG's Keihin PD is also pretty robust and designed for farm-yard fiddling. Float bowl for instance has a rubber gasket that's re-useable... you should be able to strip it, soak the jets and clean the needle and put it back together no parts required. E-Fuel issues excepted... but there's only really the main float bowl gasket to worry about, and if shot, or peeing petrol, I;d just make a cardboard one from an old corn flake packet.

More worrisome, is the pilot air screw, which has very fine tapered needle on the end prone to sorroding in the carb body. Also has an O-Ring and speing under it. Here one of the cheap e-bay kits can be a boon, and provide a new air-screw, O-ring and speing, for less cost than the separate piece parts... after spending a bit of rime with an old freyed clutch cable poling out the old needle from its hole during cleaning!

B~U~T.. there you go... getting brave and diging into the oily bits, these angines can be made good for reletive pennies and a lot less hassle than trying to tinker with the bits on the outside and not see oil.

Patience and diligence are required, not necessarily many new 'bits'.. but your bike, your problem, your call.... B~U~T I would NOT be so worried about the availability of a dedicated 'Cab-Kit' and starting elsewhere.... an cutting to the chase, looking at oily bits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:39 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allens performance for genuine carb parts. If they don't stock a specific kit for your model, they'll have the bits. Best bet is to call/email them with the carb part number (should be stamped on it somewhere).

https://www.allensperformance.co.uk

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:39 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with the cheap stuff first, like plugs electricals etc. Then later move on to expensive carb parts.

Or try Chinese and see if there is an improvement, and if it's not perfect go to Allens. I reckon a kit will be a surprisingly high amount of money for a bike that isn't worth all that much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wulfprints15
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Wow, just searched for CG125 carbs and chinese copies go for a tenner these days Rolling Eyes

Definitely sounds like it's worth focusing on the carb but you also might want to check the air intake and filter - just to tick off the list.

Air filter looks clean enough but is an aftermarket 'MOXI'. Never heard of that brand so might be worth replacing.

wulfprints15
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
I would strip the carb and check for gunk or tarnish from old fuel before jumping in with an OEM rebuild kit. Sounds like the idle circuit is good so emulsion tube,needle setting and air corrector settings would be my first port of call. Main jet will get a clean as you check the needle jet/emulsion tube etc. these things are as simple as carbs get. As a sanity check do make sure you have a good flow of fuel coming from the tap in both on and res positions as no amount of carb faff will fix a fuel supply issue, a blocked tank cap breather can cause all sorts of similar symptoms.

Thanks, workshop manual also mentions blocked breather. Will defo look into that.

wulfprints15
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
There are hundreds of CG carb kits and CG copy carb kits on offer, esp on the bay... high-quality? that's probably the issue.. b~u~t.. start at the top.

Symptoms described don't necessarily sound like a worn out carb is 100% to blame. Start at the top, ans work down systematically and methodically.

First up, try a compression test, or just rip the top off and have a look at the bore and rings. Symptoms to my mind suggests it's not taking load and good odds that's knackered rings or bore, and low compression.

Dereclicts left laid up suffer this badly, 'cos iron piston rings in an alloy piston in a steel barrel corrode electrolytically due to the different electro-potentials of the metals, which results in the rings sticking in the piston grooves and not giving a great seal... any wear in there makes matters worse.

Personally, rather than fretting about carb-kits, I would start with a chinky barrel kit; last time I looked these were only about £30 for a CG, so I'd cut to the chase on tyhat one and tear the motor down, get rid of old bore, piston and rings and know that be good. Its 'cheap' and cheaper than a re-bore and new piston.. so what the heck.

Whilst the head off, I'd look carefully at the cylinder head. Good chance that valves and seats are pitted and corroded. In fact, good odds that on a CG the valve clerances have never been properly adjusted, and more that the rockers and or tappets peened and bantered... more stull that bad adjustment, probably wothouty the propper tappet key has chewed them even more....

On that notion, for the small cost, I'd get the proper tappet tools, (Part no's are in one of my how2's somewhere in profile), and a new pair of virgin tappets to replace any carnage in there, than I would with the head off, pop the valves, clean them up, clean up the seats, then properly lap them back in with grinding past. Eliminate that variable. OTMH the CG has no valve stem seals, or just one; if it has any, I'd swap them out whilst valves out.

Then I;d slap it all back together again, with the new barel kit, and be damned.... should be known good and eliminate so many possibilities at source. And the little CG motor is so crudimentary and easy to work on, it would probably take me less time than properly overhuuing a carb!

So, engine 'reconditioned' and back in the frame; I'd look at the rest of it.

A loot of assumed carb faults arent, they are buggered exhausts. ~I'd check that next, and again, for the cost of after-market CG copy pipe, probably just replace.

THEN I might look at the carb.... Going by date, I have an incling that it could be either the plain ca4rb, or the pumper. The pumper has a small plunger set up on the slide so that when the throttle was opened more quickly, it squirted neat fuel into the engine, to compemsate for incredibly lean jetting. Pumper carbs have a little piston and diagphram arrangement to do the pumping, and that diagphram can perish with age or modern ethanol fuels.... If a pumper, I';d be more worried by that than a rebuild kit, and probably looking to chunk it in favour of a plain slide carb, especially if planing to run regularly on modern Ethanol fuels.

But.. carbs, are not the mystical bit of kit they are often imagined, they are just a collection of tubes, and pretty innert, and dont readily wear out.

CG's Keihin PD is also pretty robust and designed for farm-yard fiddling. Float bowl for instance has a rubber gasket that's re-useable... you should be able to strip it, soak the jets and clean the needle and put it back together no parts required. E-Fuel issues excepted... but there's only really the main float bowl gasket to worry about, and if shot, or peeing petrol, I;d just make a cardboard one from an old corn flake packet.

More worrisome, is the pilot air screw, which has very fine tapered needle on the end prone to sorroding in the carb body. Also has an O-Ring and speing under it. Here one of the cheap e-bay kits can be a boon, and provide a new air-screw, O-ring and speing, for less cost than the separate piece parts... after spending a bit of rime with an old freyed clutch cable poling out the old needle from its hole during cleaning!

B~U~T.. there you go... getting brave and diging into the oily bits, these angines can be made good for reletive pennies and a lot less hassle than trying to tinker with the bits on the outside and not see oil.

Patience and diligence are required, not necessarily many new 'bits'.. but your bike, your problem, your call.... B~U~T I would NOT be so worried about the availability of a dedicated 'Cab-Kit' and starting elsewhere.... an cutting to the chase, looking at oily bits.

Cheers for info - looks like I might have a project on my hands!

wulfprints15
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Allens performance for genuine carb parts. If they don't stock a specific kit for your model, they'll have the bits. Best bet is to call/email them with the carb part number (should be stamped on it somewhere).

https://www.allensperformance.co.uk

MarJay wrote:
Start with the cheap stuff first, like plugs electricals etc. Then later move on to expensive carb parts.

Or try Chinese and see if there is an improvement, and if it's not perfect go to Allens. I reckon a kit will be a surprisingly high amount of money for a bike that isn't worth all that much.

I reckon I'll pull it apart with the intent of cleaning but not replacing anything if possible. Then if something does need replacing go for cheap chinese parts first, then expensive Allen parts if no improvement.

Cheers guys.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:08 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wulfprints15 wrote:
Cheers for info - looks like I might have a project on my hands!

Don't get baulked by an imagined enormity. The venerable CG engine was rather pase at conception, and was actually contrived to use, even then, old fashioned, push-rods, for 3rd world bothability to tackle the 'problem' presented by the CB125 Over-Head-Cam Single suffering from crap oil and crap mechanics, and not just in the tropics!

It REALLY is a pretty simple motor to work on, A~N~D thunk for you, there is probably fewer bits and certainly intricate fidling little ones, in the main body of the engine, than in a carburettor... esp a pumper carb. And suggestion wasn't to do a totalk overhaul of the entire engine, 'just' a top end rebuild with new barrel and pistin, that as said are daftly 'cheap' on the bay, and likely less £ than faffing to get the piece parts for a carb from a reputable source!

NOW, you didn't baulk at the notion of pulling a carburettor to bits and replacing all the faffing little bits and pirces... so WHY should you baulk at the idea of dong a top end rebuild, especially on something with puch rods... other than the shear 'I See Blood!' reaction to dealing with oily bits... eh?

This is NOT a particularly onerouse operation, and if its any encouragement, restoring CB126 Twins, its essentially where I start; with a chinky barrel and piston kit; its cheaper than a rebore and new piston; I don't have to cart the carcass to and from, bits get sent to my door, and I can do a complete top end on one, admittedly with a slightly practised spanner hand, but, takes me about half a day.... and thats with a the crank shaft and cam-shafts chained to bludy gether to stop you getting the top off easy... and with two pots to figure out.... you got one pot, and no cam-chain... it should be E~A~S~Y I say....

Just get the Haynes manual, and follow the instructions.... honestly, just for that sight of blood reluctance to oily bits, which I suspect meant that despite you saying that PO 'Refurbished' the bike before you got it... PO had same aversion and never looked deeper than the tappet cover, if even that far, which would explain the lack of use before it became your problem.... ie you aren't just fixing a 'new' problem, you probably have a whole bikes life of problems that have never 'really' been tackled or tackled properly waiting to bite you in the bum... hence cutting to the chase; properly reconning the engine as far as practically and ecconomically possible, and eliminating oh-so-many potential niggles at source.

Like I say, after doing a couple of them, I can top end a much more convoluted CB125 twin motor in about half a day. In fact, he record is probably from 9pm one evening, when our Snowie came to a grinding halt in a puff of blue smoke on the way back from 'road training' to 9am the following morning, when she had a Mod1 test booked, the bike was hauled home, motor hauled out, torn down, top-end rebuilt, and put back together, and running.... and she used the school bike for the test... and fell off it! But that's another story.

Point is, that tearing down one of these push rod motors is NO big deal. And re-barelling one with a Chinky 'kit' is probably less work, and easier to do, than what you were planning, faffing around with floats and jets trying to sort the carb... it just 'looks' dramiatic... B~U~T as said, you have a coupole of chances, and the liklihood is that you'd end up coming back to this inevitability after spending oh-so-much MORE time and effort trying to avoid it.... just for that sight of blood gut reaction....

Its a single, its got push-rods FFS, and was designed with bush mechanics in the Brazilian Forrest having to fix it with a couple of bent and rusty spanners and a few banana leaves.... it's NOT a Swiss watch!

Gt the Haynes Manual, and get a bit brave!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1