Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So I was gonna get into welding...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: So I was gonna get into welding... Reply with quote

I just have the one task at the moment: tack on little old-skool circular mounts to replace the cup-style "modern" mounts on the inside of a fuel tank for the DT.

I was going to just get a cheap-n-cheerful "gasless" MIG when I found this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIG-Welder-Inverter-Gas-Gasless-200AMP-220V-MMA-3-in-1-IGBT-Welding-Machine/333421504850

Knowing how eBay/PayPal are dealing with such things I'm almost tempted to click on it Laughing

Anyhoo, this one looks like it has variable speed and variable current:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gasless-MIG-130-Welder-Non-Live-Torch-Amp-Flux-Trade-Welding-Machine-No-Gas-230V/263778926236

Enough to get the job done or a waste of time?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: So I was gonna get into welding... Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Knowing how eBay/PayPal are dealing with such things I'm almost tempted to click on it Laughing

Glad it's "almost tempted"! I think taking advantage in such a way would be entirely reprehensible. Weld done.

Re "is gasless a good idea", while I haven't tried it, I Have Heard That It Isn't. It will be much like ordinary arc welding, with slag all over the weld, etc. See here, which I just looked up:

https://www.thewelderswarehouse.com/blog/gas-vs-gasless-mig-welding/

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one does seem to be too good to be true
If they'd honour the offer, grab it quick !

It's definitely handy to have a wee welder to hand
and pretty pointless to shell out big money for an industrial Lincoln type
thing if your only going to drag it out once in a blue moon
for small jobs.

My £25 second hand gasless one was a steal.
Very portable, easily stowable and it suits me for what I do with it.
Tacking on brackets, nuts on broken bolts/studs fixing various stuff etc
I found the welds were surprisingly clean, not the white dust and birdshit I found when I had a go on one years ago,
Maybe the wire and flux has improved since?
Anti spatter spay and protective masking can help avoid collateral damage if that's an issue.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:13 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! The crucial bit:

Quote:
OK so it has its uses, but it produces a fierce arc that’s not much use on steel thinner than around 1.2mm.

AFAIK fuel tanks are this thin or even thinner so "gasless" not ideal Sad Hmm... Maybe better to braze instead Thinking

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop rivets? No don't!! Just kidding.

Well that first one you linked to - I've just bought one for £11 notes delivered. There has to be a catch there really does. Not anywhere does it say I'm buying the box only so this will be a lols purchase Smile
If anything it'll be useful for components..

Gasless runs hotter. I think it's the lack of shielding gas. With gas mig welding it's surprising how low a heat you can weld at. With gas comes a Hobbyweld contract or whatever so factor that in too. Mask, gloves and other consumables (though they're cheap to buy the smaller things).

My mig can do gas and gasless and I dislike gasless immensely. The splatter is less than rod welding but it seems to be harder to remove - that could well be the cheapo fluxed wire I was using that came with the machine when purchased.

If you're gonna mess with small bracketry then brazing would be ideal. You need some good heat so get a hotter burning gas torch. Mapp gas is your friend - it will need the burner for it too. I dunno how much brazing rods cost these days but for what you're doing it will be cheap anyway. Just remember to clean surfaces lots. You will find videos online.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:08 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 squids posted ?
that's got to be a typo or an out right con.
interested to see if anything comes of it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasless is utter shite. Really.

I've welded since my apprenticeship in 1973 and I've done, MIG, TIG, ARC and gas welding, some better than others but the worst I have ever encountered was trying a friends gasless MIG welder.

Basically if someone offered me one free it would be on ebay for 99p start, no returns.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scam by the looks of it. The previous items sold by that seller were totally unrelated brick-à-brac. I found another account selling a Lincoln for £24.95.

If I were to guess it would be: steal eBay account, assign new PayPal account, post ludicrous items, empty PayPal account of funds, make off like bandits...

Anyhoo, I've not tried MAPP (or MAP+ as it seems to be these days) so I'm going to try a bit of that plus a fine "jewellers" torch - well, finer than what I have in the shed that looks more appropriate for crème brûlée!

Cleaning surfaces seems obvious now but back when I was first introduced to brazing (~11yo) the teacher at school never mentioned such things; "need more flux" is all he said Rolling Eyes We turned out some proper rubbish! Amazing: won't let kids near acetone or contact cleaner (not even some emery paper) but fine with oxy acetylene torches Thinking

Some sort of perverse joke I imagine as after I left school I found out my old metalwork teacher had been done for fraud: he'd been turning out replica flint-lock pistols in the school workshop and passing them off as antiques!!!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:41 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always silver solder the lugs on. Less intense heat required, more forgiving to use (pre-flux, heat, flow solder). Maybe easier with very thin material, I could see you burning the edges of the lugs trying to get it all up to brazing temperature.

Remember to remove the flux after.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the strength of silver solder vs brazing? Not that it's an area that should see much stress Thinking

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
How's the strength of silver solder vs brazing? Not that it's an area that should see much stress Thinking

Silver solder is pretty good. It's used quite a bit in model-making (e.g. boilers). It's not at all like lead/tin or tin/copper solder.

Brazing is stronger. If you use a nice aggressive flux (like Sif bronze) cleaning metal is not an issue, just get it reasonably clean with a wire brush or something.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Silver solder is pretty good. It's used quite a bit in model-making (e.g. boilers). It's not at all like lead/tin or tin/copper solder.

Brazing is stronger. If you use a nice aggressive flux (like Sif bronze) cleaning metal is not an issue, just get it reasonably clean with a wire brush or something.

Ooh, I went looking. Here's your set-up:

Brazing torch:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Brazing+torch+for+arc+welder&_sacat=0

Get the spare carbon rods too.

+

Thick bronze rods:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weldright-Sifbronze-No-1-Brazing-Welding-Rods-3-2mm-x-10-Rods-300mm/201664306438?hash=item2ef4211d06:g:3h4AAOSwJ89bNSHO

+

Thin bronze rods:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weldright-Sifbronze-No-1-Brazing-Welding-Rods-1-6mm-x-10-Rods-300mm/201664292818?hash=item2ef420e7d2:g:wy4AAOSwQE1bNSHI

+

Flux:

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/flux/flux/sifbronze-flux-500gm/p/SIF8851040E

+

An arc welder of this sort (or used):

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-115n-easi-arc-welder/

(EDIT: It should go down to 30A or less)

+ A welding mask (don't need autodarken for this but do need a dark glass)

Tips:

You can melt the ends of bronze rods together so that you can use the whole length and not waste any.

Mix a bit of the flux powder with water to make a paste and apply it only where necessary.

You can join the stubs of carbon rod together by using beer-tin shim and 2 bits of wire wrapped around and the ends twisted together with pliers, thus wasting very little of the carbon rod. Alternatively, us a bolt to hold in the torch with the stub of carbon rod attached to that.

You can find fun things to do with the bright light and very hot flame.

Cover up, or you will get "sunburn".

Note: The carbon rods have a soft centre, like the lead in a pencil. Gouging rods (hard carbon all through) do not work for this application, so make sure you have the correct rods.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 23:09 - 29 Jan 2020; edited 1 time in total

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:58 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 11 quid welders been pulled from Ebay.

Did not buy Smile

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:01 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not buy Smile

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:

Did not buy Smile

Good. Itwas either someone's account being misused, or a mistake that could have led to someone making a nasty loss.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup been pulled and I got a lovely letter from the bay of evil.
Account hacked and I've to raise a complaint through eBay for monies to be stopped but it looks like PayPal spotted the account and froze any payments to them anyway.
Such a shame that cos I'm currently looking at a tig that's £700..

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Yup been pulled and I got a lovely letter from the bay of evil.
Account hacked and I've to raise a complaint through eBay for monies to be stopped but it looks like PayPal spotted the account and froze any payments to them anyway.
Such a shame that cos I'm currently looking at a tig that's £700..

I love TIG welding but it's not something you can do on the cheap.

An acquaintance bought one a good few years back that didn't come with an impulse generator to flash the arc. You had to actually touch the tungsten rod on the material like you do with an arc welder. Obviously as soon as you do that the electrode is contaminated and your weld is crap.

I presume nowadays that is all built into the machine but back then it was an add on for the cheaper units.

All this welding talk makes me want to go out and stick some metal together. Cool

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc welding? For a fuel tank made of Chinesium tin-foil?!

Sounds a bit OTT. I was gonna try small MAPP gas torch + either bronze brazing rods or hard silver (as per Stinkwheel's suggestion.)

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I'd be inclined to braze it, as above. I've got a TurboTorch® which can use MAP or propane, but neither are as hot as a carbon brazing flame, and the gas flame is bigger, which is not always good.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:08 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

I'd be inclined to braze it, as above. I've got a TurboTorch® which can use MAP or propane, but neither are as hot as a carbon brazing flame, and the gas flame is bigger, which is not always good.

The petrol tank itself is going to be a massive heat-sink.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

The petrol tank itself is going to be a massive heat-sink.

It will be. Don't know exactly what he's proposing (not understand: "tack on little old-skool circular mounts to replace the cup-style "modern" mounts on the inside of a fuel tank"). He'd have to be a little careful not to vaporise the steel or melt holes in it, but carbon arc brazing is gentle in comparison to any sort of arc welding. Effin' 'ot though.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sort of thing:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/n6gAAOSwFCZdngUC/s-l500.jpg

As opposed to the usual:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Tn0AAOSw39NdWqgt/s-l1600.jpg

Just want to try stuff out a bit on a crap tank before I try and tackle fixing the original.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Just want to try stuff out a bit on a crap tank before I try and tackle fixing the original.

Oh dear. Access looks like a problem. Have the originals fallen off? I assume they were spot-welded.

Looking at that, I might be tempted to take it to someone to miggit, you won't have the steel around soften.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Oh dear. Access looks like a problem. Have the originals fallen off? I assume they were spot-welded.

Looking at that, I might be tempted to take it to someone to miggit, you won't have the steel around soften.

The original is fine in the sense of those mounting pegs but it has holes and dents in it that need fixing so I thought I'd get a cheap tank to play about with. As it is I'm going to give the thing a battering to widen the underside out a few millimetres. My intention is to tack on some 20mm steel pipe cut to size somehow. No biggie if it doesn't work out...

They say you should practice on scrap Wink

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 30 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The original is fine in the sense of those mounting pegs but it has holes and dents in it that need fixing so I thought I'd get a cheap tank to play about with. As it is I'm going to give the thing a battering to widen the underside out a few millimetres. My intention is to tack on some 20mm steel pipe cut to size somehow. No biggie if it doesn't work out...

They say you should practice on scrap Wink

Oh well, if it's just practice, then try whatever. Saw off the pipe, lay it down flat (prop the tank) and go at it with whatever tickles your fancy. Silver solder & a MAP torch perhaps.

There don't seem to be any decent carbon arc torch videos on youtube, and what there are seem to be incompetents using "sideways" torches (not like the one linked above) which I don't like 'cos they're hard to hold steary, being spring loaded. You could look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVKZZN_W5cU&list=PLATg3hHzS_P5ceY0_WAwEFpXlSYMKy3eQ , or for gas, showing the temperature difference of MAP flame compared to carbon arc flame, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZD7OM1_YxM .
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2