Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Norton goes into administration

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:50 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've been reading up to now, Stuart Garner is another Robert Maxwell.
Hopefully he is stopped in his tracks before he damages anything else.

The issue with fraud crime is that even though we know the perpetrator if they move fast the destroy stuff before stopped.

I would label this cunt Stuart Garner a psychopath.

And I've not even met the prick.

His Mrs. should distance herself from him as his blood relatives have before she gets infected.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

His Mrs. should distance herself from him as his blood relatives have before she gets infected.

Burn her at the stake too. She ate the caviar, drove the posh cars and must have seen the mess of half made bikes and heard the phone calls.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:17 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
MCN wrote:

Burn her at the stake too. She ate the caviar, drove the posh cars and must have seen the mess of half made bikes and heard the phone calls.

Reading the interviews of the Big names. She is probably under his spell.

He's a psychopath, he knows to keep somendoors open.

She may also be a bit thick.

Id Still pump it but.

And the phone calls....

https://youtu.be/0EZWXuCZOho

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

"If we add the running total to the amount owed to those that had their pensions invested into Norton, we get £28,352,089"

https://www.superbike.co.uk/article/norton-creditors-report-how-much-money-is-owed

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 01 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember an anti-Brexit campaigner on my FB feed showed how Brexit was killing motorcycle companies; which IMO is bullshit as if Brexit did have anything to do with this then it was the straw which broke the camel's back. In fairness to him, I think he just didn't look deeper into the issue rather than actually trying to decieve anyone. If I barely know who Norten is then I doubt that he (a non-biker) did.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 01 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
I remember an anti-Brexit campaigner on my FB feed showed how Brexit was killing motorcycle companies; which IMO is bullshit as if Brexit did have anything to do with this then it was the straw which broke the camel's back. In fairness to him, I think he just didn't look deeper into the issue rather than actually trying to decieve anyone. If I barely know who Norten is then I doubt that he (a non-biker) did.

To be fair, there are now no motorcycle companies mass manufacturing in the UK, all standard Triumph production bikes are, if not now, certainly due to be manufactured in Thailand, so, he may have had a point, alternatively it may have happened anyhow regardless.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 02 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking

"Norton sold the rights to the 961 engine platform before the company went into administration, it has been revealed."

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/norton-motorcycles/

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:09 - 03 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:

Norton.

You're welcome.
🤣

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 03 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
What's the USP? Quick word association game:

"Triumph" - triple
"Enfield" - bullet
"Higher" - busa
"Kawasaki" - ninja

"Norton" - .... Thinking

Sister Sledge wrote:
Norton..... Antivirus.

Dang you got there before me!

MCN wrote:

Norton.

You're welcome.
🤣

See, they're such a non-company that I don't even know how to spell them!

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 days ago BDO filed a proposal at Companies House to wind up and sell off Norton's assets. The proposal includes a statement of affairs showing what Norton has and what it hasn't. It's a very bleak picture other than for Metro Bank and BDO. BDO's fees are reasonable as they are qualified professionals. However, the expected cost of their fees and retention of Eversheds will cut a significant chunk out of whatever the assets of Norton will accrue, after Metro Bank have what is owed to them from the property.

None of this is really a great surprise to anyone. However, it appears likely that the publication of this means that it's now clear there is no real likelihood of anyone buying or taking over the company, as BDO has proposed winding it up instead of continuing discussions with some of the big names that have been thrown around as potentially interested parties.

Wouldn't want to be an unsecured creditor. But it will be interesting to see what eventually happens to the Norton brand name, now that the Chinese have the rights to both of the engines.

sean5302
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:48 - 11 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

High time the serious fraud office got a grip in the UK.
Thaiumph masquerades as a British company, yet everything is made in the 3 factories at Chonburi.
A bit of assembling at Hinckley by muppets with screwdrivers.
Where was Norton's foundry?
Where was its paint shop?
Who made the fuel tanks.
A disgrace to pretend it was British.

Just look at the UK.
Sir Phillip Green sold BHS to a triple-bankrupt fraudster who ran it aground in a year, causing the UK taxpayer to stump up £300 million pension payments.
Tesco lied anout £326m profits it didn't have. A company that cheated its own shareholders.
Who's in prison?
Nobody.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 14 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVkblVfWkAE1GWL?format=jpg&name=900x900
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sean5302
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:10 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find unforgiveable is that MCN admits they were receiving complaints from Norton owners about the shoddy treatment they were getting for warranty work at Donington.
They were also told about the deposits fiasco.
What did they print? Fuck all.

Just shows you they preferred their potential advertising revenue and press bikes to test rather than the people who buy the paper.
I'll never buy MCN again.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not defending anyone and I'll say this. It's one thing hearing a rumour about financial dealings, and another going to press about it.

Unfortunately MCN and pretty much all bike press and journalism is about product testing and product sales and general biking.
It ain't Dispatches or a hard hitting consumer affairs shizzle.

Latest on Mr Garner is he's just put a fair few million in his pocket.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help thinking that really TVS have bought themselves a lemon.. Still, they have a good strong business in India, as well as supplying the smaller bmw's, so, perhaps some of that money will be put to good use, and, put right what is wrong with Norton. Keeping it as a premium brand may not make financial sense in the long run.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:48 - 24 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the new Indian owners of Norton are saying they are going to do a relaunch (Daily Fail ).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 24 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
I'm not defending anyone and I'll say this. It's one thing hearing a rumour about financial dealings, and another going to press about it.

Unfortunately MCN and pretty much all bike press and journalism is about product testing and product sales and general biking.
It ain't Dispatches or a hard hitting consumer affairs shizzle.

Latest on Mr Garner is he's just put a fair few million in his pocket.

I have to agree on that. Most daily rags have an army of shysters looking at what they publish so they don't get caught out with very expensive legal action. I wouldn't expect MCN to have very much in that department and will just shy away from publishing anything that could come back and bite their arse.

Maybe not ideal from customers point of view but that's what happens.

sean5302
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:11 - 24 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVS may or may not make Norton a success, but the reality is that the business has no links with the original company, no heritage and no association with the UK.

I'm reading in Bike magazine that John Bloor has decided that all Triumph production will be at his 3 factories in Chonburi, Thailand.
All production.

Around 50 remaining spanner-monkeys at Hinckley have been made redundant.

Deception to imagine that Thai-umph, Norton, BSA or any other evocative names from the past are anything but a badge on a product from Thailand, China or India.

A complete rip-off for their customers.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 24 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean5302 wrote:
Thai-umph

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nothing to add, just that made me laugh! Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 24 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean5302 wrote:

Deception to imagine that Thai-umph, Norton, BSA or any other evocative names from the past are anything but a badge on a product from Thailand, China or India.

Doesn't even have to be from the past ..

BMW, 310's - India
Suzuki, 125's 250's largely China
Triumph, have multi asian, small capacity bikes, will be from India.
KTM , India & China

The list goes on, that's not an issue though, not really, it's just a symptom of globalization, I'd wager, there are many long standing entities that now have little or no connection to when they were founded.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 24 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if, after this corona virus shite where we haven't been able to source stuff because it isn't made here, the government will start giving big incentives for firms to set up production here, or hike import duties to stop China and co dumping products on us cheaper than can be made here.

Or will it just go back to how it was.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 24 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I wonder if, after this corona virus shite where we haven't been able to source stuff because it isn't made here, the government will start giving big incentives for firms to set up production here, or hike import duties to stop China and co dumping products on us cheaper than can be made here.

Or will it just go back to how it was.

I doubt it, 1 the UK will be too stoney cold broke to afford incentives, aside perhaps from a few token instances.

If we hike import duties, china could well do the same, and, currently our exports to china account for 3.5-4% of all exports, this will hurt the UK economy, plus, increasing import duties will also affect those businesses that have to import parts etc from china, so a double whammy.

Also, you don't want to annoy the chinese so much so that they pull out of their investments in the UK, where would this leave, say British Steel? Which, without the chinese investment, would have been highly unlikely to survive after the covid-19 mess is all sorted, it was only operating previously on government support, again, the UK's finances just wouldn't support it.

China is the worlds largest producer of ppe, aside from building a larger stockpile of ppe in the UK intially, the demand and cost effectiveness of setting up a UK based ppe manufacturing chain in the longer term, will just drop off.

Essentially, there'll be some insults, arm waving & finger pointing enough to satisfy the general population, but not enough to rock the trade boat too much. Afteral, what parent will put up with getting little Johnny his ps4 accessory, only to find it's increased in cost, due to increased import duties, for any length of time, before we start getting back to the 'rip off britain' headlines..

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 24 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean5302 wrote:

I'd argue that Royal Enfields from India do not fit that statement. They already existed alongside the Brit factory and simply carried on when it went tits up in the UK, continuously updating the original Brit design. Only very recently have we seen them do actual totally new stuff.

I think TVS got a bargain. Don't believe them for 1 minute it will remain in the UK though. You don't buy a name for £20,000,000 with such a vague plan. I'd bet they looked at RE and thought they fancy a slice of that pie. Hell if they made the commando pictured on Page 1 in India and instead of costing £15k new I could then buy it for £8k I will buy one brand new.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 28 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean5302 wrote:
TVS may or may not make Norton a success, but the reality is that the business has no links with the original company, no heritage and no association with the UK.

I'm reading in Bike magazine that John Bloor has decided that all Triumph production will be at his 3 factories in Chonburi, Thailand.
All production.

Around 50 remaining spanner-monkeys at Hinckley have been made redundant.

I've got news for you, loads of items are made in the far east, then brought into Europe, a bit of paint here or a nameplate there, and voila, it's now of European origin. Several companies in the sector I work in do exactly the same. Doesn't mean it's a rip off, its progress.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:57 - 25 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just popped up on my phone:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53152943

BBC News wrote:
Norton Motorcycles: Former owner told to repay millions

The Pensions Ombudsman said Mr Garner "acted dishonestly and in breach of his duty" as a pension scheme trustee.

Not exactly a shocking revelation to anyone Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4