Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2035 ban on petrol and diesel [blank]

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:18 - 04 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrogen will still be allowed.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 04 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Hydrogen will still be allowed. But not encouraged.

FTFY Smile

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 04 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Hydrogen will still be allowed. But not encouraged.

FTFY Smile

How's that, then? The use of hydrogen fuel produced from carbon-neutral electricity is still carbon-neutral.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 04 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
How's that, then? The use of hydrogen fuel produced from carbon-neutral electricity is still carbon-neutral.

Hydrogen solves all the problems if storage can be sorted. As in quick to refill which is the main issue with current electric vehicles. Far, far too convenient. We must have inconvenient technology if it's to sit right with the Green lobby. Hair shirts and all that.

Anyhoo, we're a long way off from carbon-neutral electricity generation.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 04 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Far, far too convenient. We must have inconvenient technology if it's to sit right with the Green lobby. Hair shirts and all that.

Oh. So you're a conspiracy theorist.

You know we're about halfway to producing "carbon-free" power?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:33 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolls Royce recently anounced plans to develop mini nuclear power stations. Small nuclear plants spread around tbe country. Their time scale is for installing them around 2030 which fits nicely with the electric transport plans.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:50 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we all now trusting government time scales?

Elizabeth line?

HS2?

Forget today's government projected timetable, watch what the car makers predict and do.

15 years can be the work of a moment, or very long time, if the technology cannot be cost effective to realise.

If the entire UK parc is going to be electric by 2035, where is the electricity coming from?

Hinkley Point was announced 10 years ago as being operational by 2025, except it's already massively over budget and they haven't started building it yet, plus it will take more than one extra power station to provide the electricity we will need.

The real petrolheads should be more concerned about the ADAS regulations that come in next year, which we signed up for before Brexit.

The autonomous car is coming, very quickly.

If you thought ABS on every bike was a bit draconian, watch this space.......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sat back and waited since the 1980s for this...
Not a single outsider helped us when coal was effectively hated in favour of other fuels and now that the ICE is an endangered species you lot are flapping. Bring it on I say.

On a serious note: Hydrogen isn't the answer - unless you lasso a passing gas giant planet. The energy to split it from other elements has to come from somewhere.

People will now start realising why government pushed energy meters onto households - to vary the tariff as the day progresses. Maximise profits for energy companies, maximise taxes for government and turn those thumbscrews on endusers to points where they buckle and pay because that leccy vehicle is essential for making an income.
I warned people but they called me mad.

Me? Now? Don't care!
I'm old and probably won't make it to that date anyway. If I do I'll be using a leccy disabled scooter anyway.
Here's one: Banning new sales. With a motorcycle I'd be tempted to drop an old Petter diesel engine into the frame and run it on cooking oil.

Oh!!
Let's ban aircraft, ships, the military and so on. Let's also burn all government members who drive ICE engined vehicles while we're at it.

Someone (in a serious way) on a FB group suggested that cars should have alternators on each wheel. That way they could charge the batteries as they drove along and they wouldn't need an engine then..

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 1700’s a member of Parliament announced he wanted to ban crossbows and make it a criminal offence to own or use one.
Another member of Parliament wisely reminded the gentlemen that there were so many xx thousands of crossbows in private hands.
To pass that law would mean you would suddenly have xx thousands of criminals in possession of deadly crossbows Shocked .

My point being many many many people will only let someone take thier car/bike from thier cold dead hands, me included.
There will be a black market for petrol/diesel and people will tuck thier cars/bikes away until they know po po is not looking.
If Government make it illegal to own a petrol/diesel vehicle, then the Government will be making criminals of ordinary folk.

Cars and bikes with petrol/diesel engines are to nice to be given up easily.
Maybe we need to look at reducing the number of vehicles per household?
Everybody I know has at least two vehicles in thier household, some have three, four, and five all parked up around thier home.

Maybe just maybe if Government sorted out a viable and reliable cheaper public transport system there just might be a few less vehicles on the road?
For example when I lived in West London a bus route into Twikenham was introduced. Every ten minutes on the dot.
It was a damm site easier to use that bus that it was driving into Twikenham and then finding & paying for a parking space.

What about putting more freight back on the rails and thus reducing the number of lorries on the roads?
I’m guessing here, but thirty containers pulled from Southampton to Manchester by an electric train has to be more environmentally friendly than thirty separate lorries doing the same trip?

Just my
Penny Coin Penny Coin .

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

My point being many many many people will only let someone take thier car/bike from thier cold dead hands, me included.

There are no proposals to make it illegal to own or use ICE vehicles. It's just a ban on the sale of new ones. This means that they will eventually die a death just through passage of time and they will become impractical simply as fuel becomes less available.

Don't forget they the vast bulk of the population don't care whether their vehicle is ICE or electric, as long as it gets them for on A to B. They just won't care if they have to switch and there is actually a lot of support for electric vehicles. Only enthusiasts care about ICE and even then there are increasing numbers becoming interested I. Electric developments.

You mention reducing vehicles per household. I reckon the long term goal will simply be to price lower income people back off of the roads again. Definitely in the case of ICE and electric will really mean lease deals of some form, the days of buying old cheap run around will be gone.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:30 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are cracking hydrogen out of water at home using mains electricity it would probably be cheaper than petrol in the long term

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The government have previous form for creating criminals where previously there were none: the tax disk and SORN system!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The canals will be carrying goods again. Either diesel powered, steam powered or horse drawn.

Anyway, come 2035 I know exactly how to win an election.

WE WILL NOT BAN ICE POWERED CARS

Job done.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

You mention reducing vehicles per household. I reckon the long term goal will simply be to price lower income people back off of the roads again. Definitely in the case of ICE and electric will really mean lease deals of some form, the days of buying old cheap run around will be gone.

Maybe a return to past thinking/circumstances possibly?
When I was a kid , only my dad owned a car in our family.
If anyone in the family wanted to be somewhere, dad drove them there and if need be collect them.
If dad couldn’t help, you used public transport, and that goes back to my point about improving public transport in this day and age.

Also hypothetically: one car per household means money is spent one one car only and surely that means either a better car or better maintenance possibly maybe?
After all one car is now more important to the household than a gaggle of shite motors.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
Far, far too convenient. We must have inconvenient technology if it's to sit right with the Green lobby. Hair shirts and all that.

Oh. So you're a conspiracy theorist.

You know we're about halfway to producing "carbon-free" power?

Can we have a thought-out, incremental, step-by-step movement towards a better and cleaner world? Yes, according to the government and nobody trusts them at all!

Greta and co. don't want gentle improvements they want action RIGHT NOW! It has been clearly and publicly stated over and over and over that targets like the 2035 one are just not good enough.

Conspiracy Theory?! No, just simple observation.

Conspiracy Theory is me stating that the tree-huggers couldn't give a toss about the environment and are just using it as a vehicle to topple Western Civilisation, replace it with a Marxist Utopia and proceed to murder 5 billion people all in the name of solving the carbon-neutral problem.

Half-way to carbon-neutral energy generation? I think we've been half-way to economical nuclear fusion for the last... what? five decades Wink

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Half-way to carbon-neutral energy generation? I think we've been half-way to economical nuclear fusion for the last... what? five decades Wink

Yes. About 30% of UK electricity is from renewables. About 20% from nuclear.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN felt a compelling need to publish this:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/petrol-ban-motorbikes/

I suppose we have nothing to worry about our little heads about then, if MCN says so. Heh, we needn't have worried about Norton, either. All is well!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Yes. About 30% of UK electricity is from renewables. About 20% from nuclear.

Whoops, I think I got the meaning of "half-way" err.... fully wrong Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
MCN felt a compelling need to publish this:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/petrol-ban-motorbikes/

I suppose we have nothing to worry about our little heads about then, if MCN says so. Heh, we needn't have worried about Norton, either. All is well!

What?! The dream still lives Very Happy

Hang on just a bleedin' moment! The ban is on petrol and diesel powered cars and vans.

So what about pure Ethanol ICE engines? Thinking

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I could've been a bit clearer...

Someone mentioned the Rolls Royce initiative. I hope they have some decent soultion to the issues with PBMRs, it would be good to have such a solution.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

I could've been a bit clearer...

Someone mentioned the Rolls Royce initiative. I hope they have some decent soultion to the issues with PBMRs, it would be good to have such a solution.

Would you trust being near a Rolls Royce small modular reactor?? Esecpially after the fun they're having with the Trent 1000's .. Laughing Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone say smart meters are going to be compulsory in every house hold so they can tax electric used for charging the car?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:52 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Would you trust being near a Rolls Royce small modular reactor?? Esecpially after the fun they're having with the Trent 1000's .. Laughing Laughing

Rolls Royce build the reactors in our subs.

https://www.rolls-royce.com/products-and-services/defence/submarines.aspx

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Also hypothetically: one car per household means money is spent one one car only and surely that means either a better car or better maintenance possibly maybe?
After all one car is now more important to the household than a gaggle of shite motors.

1 car per household, genuinely great idea if you live urban.

Come try the arsehole of Wiltshire, my wife commutes 25 miles one direction and myself 40 miles the opposite direction.

Busses will take her 90 minutes each way and cost about 12 quid a day. Assorted public transport would take me 8 hours and 22 minutes each way and cost me 60 odd quid per day (i do 8 hour days so we would also need 25 hour days to be mandated). Also I cover about 23000 business miles a year were i not to have a car the cost of these miles in time and money to my company would explode. I should point out if i altered my working hours to start and finish quite late i could get that public transport down to 6 1/2 hours each way, still, not really a viable option.

It's not profitable for anyone to improve public transport here. Even with a ban on 2nd cars not enough people do cross county rural commutes to fill busses.

That justifies 2 of my vehicle's, the others i can't they are toys.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:59 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I live in the arse end of Wiltshire. 20 minutes walk away is a train that drops me within 50 feet of the entrance of my place of work in Bristol.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4