Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2035 ban on petrol and diesel [blank]

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Hmmm, I live in the arse end of Wiltshire. 20 minutes walk away is a train that drops me within 50 feet of the entrance of my place of work in Bristol.

I'm the opposite end but i work over at your end. For public transport i can't just cross the county i have to snake around the perimeter. To get me to work tomorrow in Chippenham for 0800 i have to leave the house at 2333 tonight to walk to the bus stop, its then a bus to Salisbury, walk to another stop, a bus within salisbury, then a few hours sleeping on a station bench, then 2 trains ( to bath then another to chippenham), then a bus.

Yes most of it is wait times but it still makes it unviable. I can commute to london in a fraction of the time.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

Yes most of it is wait times but it still makes it unviable. I can commute to london in a fraction of the time.

What about if in the hypothetical world your local train station ran trains that stopped at the town you work in and fares were at a reasonable rates and frequent?, would that make it a viable option?
So it goes back to improving public transport to encourage people to be less car dependant.
With the current infrastructure we have now it won’t work, so maybe the country’s infrastructure needs to be improved?
Tax breaks for bus companies? Might encourage them to provide services where once there were none?, which in turn might just encourage someone to leave the car at home and take the bus because it’s there at a price that makes taking the car and paying for a parking space,fuel not worth it?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I've just had a look at some interesting RR bumf, different from what I thought, they are going for PWRs somewhat like the submarine ones:

https://www.rolls-royce.com/~/media/Files/R/Rolls-Royce/documents/customers/nuclear/smr-technical-summary.pdf

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:45 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very 20th century approach to have to commute to work every day.

Very few non-physical jobs actually need this every day. I work from home 2 days a week and could do it more often but it's nice to get out of the house and actually see the people you are working with.

Your employer may be stuck in the past, though. Do they have a fax machine as well?

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:51 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real answer is more bikes, if for an example the A1 category was raised to 250cc with 20hp limit, and was granted to full licence car drivers as in the case of the AM class, but for it to become valid they had to do the CBT in the form of proper training as opposed to how some of the training is currently done, and they had to display "L" plates for 12 months after which another CBT style of test was needed after this they would then have full A1 category licence Thumbs Up

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
What about if in the hypothetical world.....

Yes in the hypothetical world I'd love to have 1 car. It would save a pile of money, also i don't enjoy driving.

However in the real world there is not even the infrastructure in place and nobody will build it. No private company will ever build it, it wouldn't be profitable. The taxpayer would have to fund it and we can't afford it.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
The real answer is more bikes,

Hmmm? You may be right.
There are many bikes that sit in sheds not being used (including my own).

As for those that haven’t got a bike but would used one, how about making it easier for them.
Possibly 125 bike license comes with a full car license?
I think that 250cc might be a little optimistic for the legislature.
Bikes are not for everyone so this is only part of the bigger solution.

Last edited by pepperami on 18:47 - 05 Feb 2020; edited 1 time in total

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:45 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
dynax wrote:
The real answer is more bikes,

As for those that haven’t got a bike but would used one, how about making it easier for them.

This could already be in the pipeline, but i would raise it to cover upto 250cc, which would solve some issues of motorway riding Thumbs Up

https://www.fema-online.eu/website/index.php/category/fema-news/

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
pepperami wrote:

This could already be in the pipeline, but i would raise it to cover upto 250cc, which would solve some issues of motorway riding Thumbs Up

https://www.fema-online.eu/website/index.php/category/fema-news/

That would be going back to what the rules were when I learnt to ride, up to 250cc on L plates.

The problem would be what power restriction they would chuck on it. There's not much point having a lardy 250 with only 15/18bhp.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:36 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put a limit of 20bhp, at least this would make more useable on motorways,

here is a link to a brief history of licensing,

https://www.lightningpass.com/changes-motorcycle-learner-law

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/petrol-ban-motorbikes/

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:12 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
In the 1700’s a member of Parliament announced he wanted to ban crossbows and make it a criminal offence to own or use one.
Another member of Parliament wisely reminded the gentlemen that there were so many xx thousands of crossbows in private hands.
To pass that law would mean you would suddenly have xx thousands of criminals in possession of deadly crossbows Shocked .

It didn't bother the SNP when they denied low powered airguns from people with their daft licensing scheme.

Easy-X wrote:
The government have previous form for creating criminals where previously there were none: the tax disk and SORN system!

and the insurance system, and the licensing system and the mysterious disappearances of bike licence categories when renewing them etc but plenty of people have brought this on themselves for not treating the ability to travel properly as a right.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't really affect me, as long as I can get petrol and parts and keep using my 27yr old car and classic bikes. I need to be allowed to run old two strokes until there's no Silkolene bottles left for sale though.

I use trains and buses alot for commuting, and with the usual rail problems of delays and cancellations, they otherwise work for me and suit my needs. At work we use a fleet of diesel cars and vans, and when I need to be out at work sites all day, I could do 100miles in rural areas, with lots of short duration stops. If an electric van can easily do that, and we had enough plug in parking bays at work, then it would work for me.

For domestic travel an electric car or bike would suit me nearly all the time, if it was comparable to the cost of an ICE vehicle. I do 3-4 long trips a year 250-280miles in a day. If I can get a petrol/diesel hire car for these trips then that is fine.

I expect for some people in areas with poor transport links or very rural remote areas, that anything other than personal private transport will not work for decades yet. And for the private and commercial drivers who do 200-300miles a day for work as the norm. They will need loads of help to get an electric solution, it might need such huge infrastructure improvements it'll also be decades before it works for them.

And for HGV's well it'll only become viable to go electric when at least all of the UK motorway network is electrified with inductive road charging, and that won't be enough for all daily road haulage requirements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against banning the sale of ICE vehicles - it's how government carry out neutralising them which is the problem. We all know very well how cr*p government are at creating transition and providing other means of transport. I fear that come dead ICE day, Nothing will be there should people wish to give up freedoms and use public transport.

Someone touched on this: Rail freight. Near me you have the Port of Blyth. To the north is the old coal yards for the former Blyth Power Station. The rail infrastructure is still there, is huge plus extra land if needed, links to mainline rails and is very close (1/4 mile close) to a main shipping port. It's the ideal location for a rail freight terminus that would serve the North East.
You've guessed it - a small business park is being built nearby and developers want land to help pay for the construction of it. Land for housing. Land that should be a freight terminus.

*Rant mode engaged*

Wasted electricity. For starters lets switch off every second lamp post. Let's switch off ALL lamp posts where there are no footpaths. Let's ban stupid 'look at me' lighting at residences where they use uplighting and other pointless bragging lights.

Nuclear thingies: Has anyone actually taken the time to adsorb what the UK has done/not done so far with lethal nuclear stuff? It stinks. Forget sea dumping of waste - there's plenty of material out there explaining it all.
I'm absolutely against nuclear everything. Never used to be but the mess and expensive contamination we've left as a legacy is shocking.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with electricity generation by renewables is the limitations.

We are now at what, 50% when the wind is blowing or the sun is shining. There comes a point where we can't build more and more wind turbines. All the hydro is at full capacity and our nuclear is maxxed out and no one wants nuclear anyway. How much will the country running electric cars increase the power demand?

Luckily there is loads and loads of natural gas around the world which will be the staple fuel for power stations into the distant future.

Also, we now have LNG powered ships, which use modified diesel engines that run on gas and in America they are experimenting with LNG powered lorries so what's to stop the ICE engine carrying on with LNG or LPG power.

It only says ban diesel and petrol engines.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:04 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethanol is also a good alternative with just a few mods like hoses and seals that are suitable and a water trap of some kind, there are so many alternatives that can be used, it's the oil companies or at least the higher level management that have some serious influence and dictate what can and can't be used Evil or Very Mad

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:12 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/petrol-ban-motorbikes/

Motorcycles not included in the ban.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:

That's great, where you you buy your petrol, as the need to supply petrol to cars tails off, and becomes an unviable commercial proposition for petrol stations? There aren't enough motorbikes on the road to maintain petrol stations as commercial propositions alone..

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Also, we now have LNG powered ships, which use modified diesel engines that run on gas and in America they are experimenting with LNG powered lorries so what's to stop the ICE engine carrying on with LNG or LPG power.

There's a move away from fossil fuels is the only thing. There interesting things going on. The Siemens eHIghway is one for road freight. Very small modular reactors (which could possibly be used in larger vessels) is another for seaborne. Hydrogen seems an interesting possibility, given "carbon neutral" electricity to make it by electrolysis, but the efficiency of fuel cells far surpasses that of hydrogen ICEs, so that is unlikely too.

Edit: I have asked for clarification on some matters re ICEs/sales after 2035, but it may be a while until the answer comes.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 12:35 - 06 Feb 2020; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

There's a move away from fossil fuels is the only thing. There interesting things going on. The Siemens eHIghway is one for road freight. Very small modular reactors (which could possibly be used in larger vessels) is another for seaborne. Hydrogen seems an interesting possibility, given "carbon neutral" elegtricity to make it by electrolysis, but the efficiency of fuel cells far surpasses that of hydrogen ICEs, so that is unlikely too.

But that's all theory. LNG engines on ships is now and in fact I sailed on one built in 1966. It's proven technology. It would take very little to convert a modern car engine to run on LNG as has been proved with LPG power. LNG is much cleaner though so would be more popular.

Sure, if fuel cells come along. If inductive roadways are built and if my aunt was my uncle etc.

I still believe even Greta will moan when the lights go out because we are limited to electrical power when the wind blows or the sun shines. Can you imagine todays youngsters not being able to charge their mobile phones?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
But that's all theory. LNG engines on ships is now and in fact I sailed on one built in 1966.

That's 50 years ago. Changes will come. RR want to build SMRs starting energy production in 2030, and it's not the only one. Change won't happen tomorrow, but it will come.

Polarbear wrote:
It's proven technology. It would take very little to convert a modern car engine to run on LNG as has been proved with LPG power. LNG is much cleaner though so would be more popular.

It's fossil fuel. It ain't going to happen.

Polarbear wrote:
Sure, if fuel cells come along. If inductive roadways are built and if my aunt was my uncle etc.

Fuel cells aren't the problem, the problem is with supply (and manufacture). Currently, for cars and LGVs, battery seems more likely. Inductive roadways seem further away than "old-fashioned" things like the Siemens thing.

Polarbear wrote:
I still believe even Greta will moan when the lights go out because we are limited to electrical power when the wind blows or the sun shines

Hence the move to nuclear and other. In france, for instance (and we know there's nothing special about them) they already get 3/4 of their electricity from nuclear power.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:32 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Someone touched on this: Rail freight. Near me you have the Port of Blyth. To the north is the old coal yards for the former Blyth Power Station. The rail infrastructure is still there, is huge plus extra land if needed, links to mainline rails and is very close (1/4 mile close) to a main shipping port. It's the ideal location for a rail freight terminus that would serve the North East.
You've guessed it - a small business park is being built nearby and developers want land to help pay for the construction of it. Land for housing. Land that should be a freight terminus.

Amen. There is a huge paper mill in Workington. It has a railway track, its own siding and there is a deepwater port about a mile away with a branch-line leading into the factory.

ALL the wood is driven there from Scotland by artic. Tens of wagon-loads every day. Madness.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
STUFF

Well, we shall have to agree to disagree.

Anyway, another thought.

What happens if the other countries of the world don't go along with this 2035 cut off.

If you can still buy cars in France or import them from America there will be someone buying them up and selling them as second hand cars. Unless the government give a cut off date, i.e. ban them they won't be able to control the second hand market And any government that tells it's population that we will ban your perfectly good cars is asking for a drubbing at an election.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
STUFF

Well, we shall have to agree to disagree.

Anyway, another thought.

What happens if the other countries of the world don't go along with this 2035 cut off.

If you can still buy cars in France or import them from America there will be someone buying them up and selling them as second hand cars. Unless the government give a cut off date, i.e. ban them they won't be able to control the second hand market And any government that tells it's population that we will ban your perfectly good cars is asking for a drubbing at an election.

I don't know what's going to happen, but the way things are going, globally, is clear. I'm sure there will be places where change happens at a slower rate, but they will beencouraged to change as change itself happens.

What will happen about imports? Who knows. I haven't even thought about that but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some restriction. The second-hand market won't be affected (except by, for instance, vehicle tax payments and the reduced easy availability of fuel), but it will fizzle out.

Look at what happened to steam cars, for instance. When something better came along, they died out, except among collectors, who have an expensive hobby. What'll happen now will be more carrot & stick I guess.

If I hear clarification on motorbikes, I'll post it, but I don't expect anything for a week or three.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
There is a huge paper mill in Workington. It has a railway track, its own siding and there is a deepwater port about a mile away with a branch-line leading into the factory.

ALL the wood is driven there from Scotland by artic. Tens of wagon-loads every day. Madness.

You might find this vaguely interesting:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/780895/decarbonising_road_freight.pdf
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4