Credit Card

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Credit Card Reply with quote

I've just had a weird thing happen.

I have a credit card (from Lloyds but I doubt that really matters) that I have never ever used for anything. I got it purely as an emergency card for travelling incase something happened and I needed funds.

Today I got a one time passcode from Lloyds to confirm a Pizza hut purchase for £47 odd which wasn't me. Obviously I didn't confirm and phoned Lloyds, card cancelled. Transaction refused, no problem.

What's got me though is where could they have got details from? I have never ever used this card so I don't see how it can be cloned.

My computer has McAfee anti virus and fire wall.

I asked the bint from Lloyds when I was talking to them but she couldn't get her head round the fact I have got a credit card and never used it. She kept going on about it being cloned.

The only other thing I use is Evernote for some details so it is on my phone as well as computer but the long card number or 3 digit one on the back isn't stored there.

I'm stumped and a little worried as if they had gone on a spending spree that card had a £5000 limit on it and while I'm not on the bones of my arse, I can't afford that sort of hit or the worry of arguing with a bank about fraud etc.

Has anyone got any ideas on how they could get my number and I presume the 3 digit cvv code if they used it online.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:48 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typing in of someone else's number wrong....

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:52 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

All of them? Along with date?

Is it contactless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

All of them? Along with date?

Is it contactless.

Yes.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Credit Card Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I've just had a weird thing happen.

I have a credit card (from Lloyds but I doubt that really matters) that I have never ever used for anything. I got it purely as an emergency card for travelling incase something happened and I needed funds.

Today I got a one time passcode from Lloyds to confirm a Pizza hut purchase for £47 odd which wasn't me. Obviously I didn't confirm and phoned Lloyds, card cancelled. Transaction refused, no problem.

What's got me though is where could they have got details from? I have never ever used this card so I don't see how it can be cloned.

My computer has McAfee anti virus and fire wall.

I asked the bint from Lloyds when I was talking to them but she couldn't get her head round the fact I have got a credit card and never used it. She kept going on about it being cloned.

The only other thing I use is Evernote for some details so it is on my phone as well as computer but the long card number or 3 digit one on the back isn't stored there.

I'm stumped and a little worried as if they had gone on a spending spree that card had a £5000 limit on it and while I'm not on the bones of my arse, I can't afford that sort of hit or the worry of arguing with a bank about fraud etc.

Has anyone got any ideas on how they could get my number and I presume the 3 digit cvv code if they used it online.

I'll be very interested to see if you get definitive answer to this, as something similar has just happened to a friend of mine.

They were having problems with their main account, so the bank opened a new account with a new card and a different PIN.

The card was first used on Dec 23rd and it's been used 6 times since, always in the same places they always use their card (major supermarket, the petrol station attached to it and the local corner shop) then bugger me, some unknown took 80 quid out of a cashpoint.

The owner still has the card, so it wasn't stolen and the bank reckon there's no way of cloning a card and capturing the PIN, so how has this happened?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:37 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Darknet, you can buy just anything you want Shocked

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Credit Card Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

What card detail is on there it seems odd.
You don't have PINs stored there I hope.
If you are routinely carrying the card they might have somehow cloned it but isn't the upper limit on contactless transactions £30.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Credit Card Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

If you are routinely carrying the card they might have somehow cloned it but isn't the upper limit on contactless transactions £30.

No, no pins but I do have log in details (password/customer no.) for my on line banking. OK it's probably not a good idea but I cannot see how that was any use in a card transaction to Pizzahut.

And yes, that card lives in my wallet along with 3 other credit cards and numerous other plastic.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Credit Card Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

OTP means it was ordered online I think. If it was in person they would have required a pin and by phone the 3-digit number.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:54 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTP is a one time password which is what the text message you received was for.

Online banking login details are of no use to someone wanting to clone your card.

Evernote have had a few security breaches over the years but I assume you don't use it to store your credit card number. Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
OTP is a one time password which is what the text message you received was for.

Online banking login details are of no use to someone wanting to clone your card.

Evernote have had a few security breaches over the years but I assume you don't use it to store your credit card number. Laughing

No, obviously I haven't written that down because it's on my card so no need. Same with the 3 digit code on the back, not written down anywhere.

I did wonder if someone had been through my rubbish and I had not shredded one that the number on it but I don't think the banks/card companies ever put the whole number on correspondence. Usually just the first and last four isn't it?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:20 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They never put the whole number.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:21 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has happened twice to me from Lloyds, they will always claim it's your security failure.
The last time it happened I told them no way was it my fault, look at your own security , do not take any shitie from them!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably of no use this but was the Pizza Hut order near to you or do you not know?
I can't help with anything - just might help get answers.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they get a known good clone card number, it has been known that groups will then try random numbers within the Mod 10 range. So can hit a gen number.

One of the bonus of getting a OTP now.

Although some people just ignore them if they get them and it is not them Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
Then get all arsey when asked why did you not do anything..

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Probably of no use this but was the Pizza Hut order near to you or do you not know?
I can't help with anything - just might help get answers.

No idea. It just said Pizza Hut on the OTP message.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three possibilities I can think of:

1) Random transaction error. Banking systems are old and creaky and make many, many mistakes.

2) Lucky Guess. Hackers spinning random numbers and got lucky.

3) Cloned. But by someone at Lloyds or one of their subcontractors. This also happens. But as per option 1 they'd never ever admit to that. The lie must be maintained.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 10 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a transaction to the tune of £2k appear on my credit card a few years ago (a nightclub in London apparently); turned out with many banks if you do things in a certain order it's remarkable what you can change. In my case, they had acquired my card "face info" from somewhere (I'm guessing a hacked website or something although I only ever buy from reputable places, but it does happen), they then rang up and changed the address on the account, then rang up and ordered a new card, then rang up and asked for a PIN reminder, with the latter two both going to the new address! So they got a new card and the PIN.

The bank were perfectly OK about it and following a few checks they wrote off the transaction and issued me a new PIN etc. and on my request added additional security questions to my account, but I still find it farcical that such critical changes could be made on minimal information in the first place!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 10 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are we saying it's definitely not possible to capture a PIN?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 10 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the old days the PIN was on the card. I remember someone who had very dubious contacts telling me a betamax video recorder could be used to read the PIN off the old cards. True or not? Who knows.

Now I gather it is not on the card but on a database(someone correct me if that statement is bollox) which would mean you have to hack that and then match up the PIN with the card etc. I have no idea how viable that is but if someone can hack the CIA or NASA or organisations like that I'm sure they can do pretty much everything. It's whether it's worth their while.

It's like this idea of catching your details off a card in your wallet. Buy RDF cards to protect yourself. Do they work? I don't have clue but I'm going to get one now.

TLDR: No idea.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:58 - 10 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pin is on the card.

When using a card reader for online banking, you have to enter your pin correctly into the card reader.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
In the old days the PIN was on the card. I remember someone who had very dubious contacts telling me a betamax video recorder could be used to read the PIN off the old cards. True or not? Who knows.

Now I gather it is not on the card but on a database(someone correct me if that statement is bollox) which would mean you have to hack that and then match up the PIN with the card etc. I have no idea how viable that is but if someone can hack the CIA or NASA or organisations like that I'm sure they can do pretty much everything. It's whether it's worth their while.

It's like this idea of catching your details off a card in your wallet. Buy RDF cards to protect yourself. Do they work? I don't have clue but I'm going to get one now.

TLDR: No idea.

It seems very peculiar to me that you've had a card hacked that's never been used and my friend has had the same done on a virtually brand new card, that's only been used a handful of times.

In your case, it seems doubly odd; where the hell did they get any details, unless they've been bought/hacked as part of a database ?

As for my friend, it could be an organised thing and somebody knew their habits, was watching them enter a PIN while a card reader was being used to grab the main details.

We do have CCTV evidence that the card was used at a cashpoint by someone other than the owner, but there does seem to be a basic security risk on the part of the banks.

I also thought the PIN was contained on the mag strip (does an ATM read the strip and ask you to match the number it finds, or communicate with the bank database and ask you to match that?) and if it is, why can't it be captured?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:30 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The pin is on the card.

When using a card reader for online banking, you have to enter your pin correctly into the card reader.

That's true. I never thought of that. I presume credit cards are the same as debit cards. I've never used a reader with a credit card.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:36 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I also thought the PIN was contained on the mag strip (does an ATM read the strip and ask you to match the number it finds, or communicate with the bank database and ask you to match that?) and if it is, why can't it be captured?

No, the PIN is not on the magstripe and never has been AFAIK. The data tracks are unencrypted and in a standardised, publicly available format. I have a drawer full of card readers at work and it's trivial to read the information off, always has been.

However, the PIN is in the chip but not in the sense of easily readable. The card machine sends the PIN to the chip and the chip says yes or no. There are vulnerabilities in the chip firmware but it's non-trivial work to crack them open. Much more cost effective to "shoulder-surf" or steal a purse or wallet only to discover the PIN written on a scrap of paper (yes, people still do this!) Therefore very important to report cards stolen as soon as you're aware.

I'm not saying you can't clone a card all the way up to the contactless function but why would you? If you know the all the unencrypted numbers (long number, expiry date, CCV) order some shit off the Internet nice and anonymous. Gift cards are popular form of low-key laundry, it used to be mobile phone vouchers. Emptying cash points, on the other hand, on a large scale requires a lot of legwork and that requires organised crime...

Of course, that's how it should work but obviously doesn't so the banks rely on "just doing enough to get by" as in keeping fraud down but not eliminating it and mostly rely on computers to analyse spending patterns and query anything that seems out of the ordinary. Which is pretty hit or miss Sad

Unless somebody goes completely mad in the government and passes a law to explicitly make banks responsible for fraud (which, due to laxity, they are most of the time - maybe "complicit" would be a better word) then this sort of thing will continue.

It always amazes me when banks say "so sorry your life savings got ripped off, we got some of it back" huh? why some?! They know exactly where it went!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:38 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

It seems very peculiar to me that you've had a card hacked that's never been used and my friend has had the same done on a virtually brand new card, that's only been used a handful of times.

In your case, it seems doubly odd; where the hell did they get any details, unless they've been bought/hacked as part of a database ?

As for my friend, it could be an organised thing and somebody knew their habits, was watching them enter a PIN while a card reader was being used to grab the main details.

We do have CCTV evidence that the card was used at a cashpoint by someone other than the owner, but there does seem to be a basic security risk on the part of the banks.

From my point of view I have not got any idea how they could have got my details. I am 100% sure I have never used this card and checked that on online banking when this happened - never used. An annoying thing is now my card has been cancelled I cannot access my online account so I haven't actually got a print out of that fact.

If it's not a data base hack (must be the bank as I've never used it anywhere else) then it has to be from the fact I had it in my wallet and it's been scanned but I have absolutely no idea what they can get with scanning.

Really really annoying/worrying. I'd prefer to have had it stolen as at least I could understand what happened.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2