BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Credit Card

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there are people in favour of a cashless society?
Bring back bartering I say. Who will swap me their wife for an old stick welder and a bag of coal?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Bring back bartering I say. Who will swap me their wife for an old stick welder and a bag of coal?

I am for one, yes, was so happy last Thursday to find https://www.thepaperduck.co.uk/ is card only !!! Whoo Hoo Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm like "meh."

I took £50 out the cash point last month and so far I've spent about £12 of that... in a bar with a really slow, clockwork card machine so cash was quicker Smile

Still, cash doesn't require power and a data connection to be effective so I doubt it'll go anywhere soon.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:14 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

I am for one, yes, was so happy last Thursday to find https://www.thepaperduck.co.uk/ is card only !!! Whoo Hoo Thumbs Up

That's to make you spend more, you poor confused sole!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

That's to make you spend more, you poor confused sole!

Well, hardly, should the beer have been shit, wouldn't have stayed, although it was nice that I didn't have to ask for the card machine Thumbs Up I don't take cash out, so, if I find a pub/shop etc, that doesn't accept card, I'll move on, unless the beer just happens to be good enough to suffer the inconvenience, then, I'll pop to the cash point, and suffer the ballache of carrying the cash & change around.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:23 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

People like us go to these places because the product they sell is good , or even spectacular ! when you had a couple it is very easy to go "why not"
My local is the Admirals Arm ,it's one of the better Micro's in the south

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
People like us go to these places because the product they sell is good , or even spectacular ! when you had a couple it is very easy to go "why not"
My local is the Admirals Arm ,it's one of the better Micro's in the south

To some degree, that's true, but, usually don't tend to stay in the 1 pub, we like finding towns, and, then sampling the pubs in them.. ! town I recommend, being Cleobury Mortimer, especially if you include the Hobson's brewery tap Thumbs Up

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:43 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
Thank you Thumbs Up

Yes, you have the brewery tap, and, around 6 good pubs all within walking distance Thumbs Up Also, as a bonus, it seems to be a very friendly town..

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Credit Card Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I've just had a weird thing happen.

I have a credit card (from Lloyds but I doubt that really matters) that I have never ever used for anything. I got it purely as an emergency card for travelling incase something happened and I needed funds.

Today I got a one time passcode from Lloyds to confirm a Pizza hut purchase for £47 odd which wasn't me. Obviously I didn't confirm and phoned Lloyds, card cancelled. Transaction refused, no problem.

What's got me though is where could they have got details from? I have never ever used this card so I don't see how it can be cloned.

My computer has McAfee anti virus and fire wall.

I asked the bint from Lloyds when I was talking to them but she couldn't get her head round the fact I have got a credit card and never used it. She kept going on about it being cloned.

The only other thing I use is Evernote for some details so it is on my phone as well as computer but the long card number or 3 digit one on the back isn't stored there.

I'm stumped and a little worried as if they had gone on a spending spree that card had a £5000 limit on it and while I'm not on the bones of my arse, I can't afford that sort of hit or the worry of arguing with a bank about fraud etc.

Has anyone got any ideas on how they could get my number and I presume the 3 digit cvv code if they used it online.

The other thing to consider is that banks et al dont always give information on fraud issues.
If they do then their countermeasures can be tested.

I can't help with any info as to how some scrote got your details.

I could say that the system farted and your card got to smell it.

What sort of pizza? If they asked for pineapple on it i would be afraid. Shocked

An alignment of forces.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin numbers are stored on cards and it is easily readable depending on the bank. I'm not going to say how on an open forum but the information is out there and easy to find

People need to understand the history of card fraud in the UK, take some time to read through this article. So when your unused card is used and you still have it there is another option that banks don't like to admit to.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop shagging the pizza delivery boy, you dirty old seaman. Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

I don't eat pizza, horrible things. Best use for them is as frisbees for the dog.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

I don't eat pizza, horrible things. Best use for them is as frisbees for the dog.

Who said anything about eating pizza? Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Who said anything about eating pizza? Laughing

Razz I don't need to pay for those sort of services.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

New very expensive wallet obtained with built in RFID.

Is it worth having it, no idea but at least that is one risk supposedly covered.

https://i.postimg.cc/QtMFSQ8Q/IMG-20200211-153609897.png

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
New very expensive wallet obtained with built in RFID.

"With built in RFID blocking".

You can do the same thing with some cooking foil. Make a pouch out of it (or beer-tin shim, but round the corners!), make it robust with some tape, and put it in your wallet, and put your cards in that. Rude people would say that the surplus foil can be used to make a hat. Good thing I'm not rude! Smile

You can also disable the card itself, by using a hole punch, penknife or whatever to cut the aerial (not near the chip, as some advise). Use a bright light to shine through the card to see where the wires go (or look at an old card, which you can destroy to examine). The chip will still work. On a couple of my old bank cards, due to them being carried loose in my pocket, then sat on or otherwise bent, the chips actualy came out, but it was OK 'cos I sellotaped them back in (on the back of the card).

In any case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhsbS2Y2RD0

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:20 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

One risk covered that isn't a risk.

"There has still to this day not been a report of a single real-world crime that an RFID blocking product would have stopped.”

“The information that’s actually stored and transmitted on the card is not enough to complete a transaction anymore,” Grimes said. “That changed many years ago.”

"Nowadays, a credit card transmits a one-time transaction code that’s encrypted. It doesn’t give your name or billing address, and crucially it doesn’t include the three-digit code on the back of your card that’s needed for online transactions. The information that can be skimmed is simply not enough to enable the thief to commit another crime."

"We contacted Action Fraud in the U.K. to ask about reported incidents of RFID skimming and they put us in touch with UK Finance. The organization confirmed that there have never been any verified reports of fraudsters taking money from someone’s contactless card just by bumping into them in the street or on public transport. It also revealed that no verified incidents of contactless fraud have ever been recorded on cards still in the possession of the original owner in the U.K."

"When they can go online to the dark web and buy credit card details, including the three-digit code, for $3 to $5 apiece why would they go to the hassle of RFID skimming?"

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/are-rfid-blocking-products-worth-your-money-we-asked-an-expert/

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Hence the hat, above.

People can still steal your card, but if you knacker the aerial, contactless won't work atall for anyone.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS Ste.

Oh well, it's a nice wallet. Real animal skin. I'll probably go to hell for that.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:39 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'll probably go to hell for that.

Ah well, Jesus died for our sins so if we don't sin then he died for nothing.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Jesus died for our sins.

Whilst riding in the rain?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Ste wrote:
Jesus died for our sins.

Whilst riding in the rain?

Without a *******, the mad idiot.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

"There has still to this day not been a report of a single real-world crime that an RFID blocking product would have stopped.”

“The information that’s actually stored and transmitted on the card is not enough to complete a transaction anymore,” Grimes said. “That changed many years ago.”

"Nowadays, a credit card transmits a one-time transaction code that’s encrypted. It doesn’t give your name or billing address, and crucially it doesn’t include the three-digit code on the back of your card that’s needed for online transactions. The information that can be skimmed is simply not enough to enable the thief to commit another crime."

"We contacted Action Fraud in the U.K. to ask about reported incidents of RFID skimming and they put us in touch with UK Finance. The organization confirmed that there have never been any verified reports of fraudsters taking money from someone’s contactless card just by bumping into them in the street or on public transport. It also revealed that no verified incidents of contactless fraud have ever been recorded on cards still in the possession of the original owner in the U.K."

"When they can go online to the dark web and buy credit card details, including the three-digit code, for $3 to $5 apiece why would they go to the hassle of RFID skimming?"

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/are-rfid-blocking-products-worth-your-money-we-asked-an-expert/

Does the same apply in yankee doodle land where our cards have chips but are still magnetic strip and PIN rather than chip and PIN? (Morons)

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:23 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much worse over there! Not only do they still have magstripes going on they also do the payment processing on the EPOS system. None of the isolation and PCI compliance stuff we have Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2