Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Musings on optimum power to weight ratios

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:59 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Musings on optimum power to weight ratios Reply with quote

I'm just watching "Restoration of Everything" which is a nice soothing YouTube channel if you want to put your brain into neutral Smile

My subconscious has a tendency to percolate ideas over a long period and it keeps noticing the same thing...

Let's take a generic bike, for example: standard steel tube frame, it can only be of roughly one size for a moderate spectrum of human sizes. Add to that all the legal requirements: lights, indicators, speedo, etc. and all the stuff to support them: battery, regulator, wiring loom. Comfort things like a seat. Standard controls and so on.

Obviously wheels would be nice along with brakes. What else? Thinking

Oh yeah! The engine Very Happy

So what I'm saying is: there's a certain amount of "base weight" you have to have just to get started regardless of engine size. This is particularly acute for some models of 50cc road bikes and quite a lot of 125cc. You see a standard bike but one component sticks out as being undersized: the barrel. What drives it home is the fact the gearbox is almost always a "base size" across quite a range of engine capacities. (As a side note this seems a modern trend. Way back there was no problem making small barrel bikes with tiny 3-gear boxes.)

Going the other way, e.g. litre bikes, no problem - you just build bigger.

So the big question: what is the optimum before you have to build bigger? How powerful can you make a bike before you start making a seriously stronger gearbox, reinforce the frame, wack on 4 piston brake calipers?

tl;dr ^^This is what happens when you have a Saturday night without beer Shocked

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:33 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to talk to Alan Milyard, what he doesn’t know isn’t worth knowing.
You must of heard of the Flying Milyard?

10,000 bhp, 20 litres , 0-100 in a second, or your bike’s shit!

Everybody wants a bit MOAR POWA!.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:21 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not quite the direction I was thinking (but an amusing bike nonetheless!) Let's loot at something like dirt bikes...

50cc is more a sop to regulatory pressures, it's probably not what you'd buy new if you didn't have to (assuming adult with full licence.) On the other hand 125s (2-stroke obviously) are a perfectly valid proposition for power to weight but you could do better.

The market seems to have coalesced around 250 & 450 (4-strokes) but from what I've seen - bear in mind I hardly know anything - is a 250 2-stroke rebarrelled to 300/320cc seems like the thing to do these days so just for the narrow subset of dirt bikes that might be the answer to my question.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:09 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The market seems to have coalesced around 250 & 450 (4-strokes) but from what I've seen - bear in mind I hardly know anything - is a 250 2-stroke rebarrelled to 300/320cc seems like the thing to do these days so just for the narrow subset of dirt bikes that might be the answer to my question.

I'm not too sure what the question is now, but, as the last of the 2T 500 GP bikes and beyond were proving, its not so much the amount of power that's important, as the power delivery; hence modern power delicery modifying traction aids. They got those monsters up to over 500bhp per litre,and the weight down to around the 100Kg mark, where they were having to add ballast to meet minimum weight regs, and again, it wasn't so much the weight as the weight distribution, and GP teams spent a almost as much time testing the best ballast locations as they did tyres!

My 1981 Montesa Cota trials bike.... weighs about 70Kg, and makes just shy of 15bhp. Steel spine frame, and full street kit etc... that roughly sets your base line... it boasts 'Magnesio' on most of the major motor castingts, and 'Akront' on the wheel rims, fork-yokes, etc, and has no battery, no indicators, no pillion seat etc. And folling vogue of the era the frame was 'Majestied' and the bottom of the engine cradle abreviated to use the engine as a stressed member both to save weight and make ground clearance.

Development history reports that the engine was taken from the 'Impala' road bike, and is mostly the same as the Capra scramblers, so was made in a range of displacements from I think 150cc to 360cc, maybe a tad bigger, ISTR a Capra 440, made to go head to head with the Kawasaki KX and the BSA Victor, and Montesa had a habit of putting numbers in the model name actually rather bigger than the engine cc, b-u-t.... gives an idea, how much difference they can get by boring.... even on a one-pot motor. 248 and 349 'trials' variants, were essentially the same bike, with same quoted weight, the only difference being the size of pot over the block, the piston inside it, and the pant scheme. And again, power was not deemed as important as power-delivery, the 350, only claiming about 20bhp or so, to the 250's 15.

In the last 1/4 century, road bike weights have tended to hog out towards the 200-250Kg mark, that was the upper end of the demographic back when all we could get was cross-ply tyres.

A look at 125's new and old is revealing. My water-cooled Kawasaki AR125 thirty years ago had a claimed kerb weight of just about 100Kg.. with a steel spine frame, and all street gear, and most 125's weren#t a lot diferent. My DT for example had a claimed ke4rb weight of 95Kg I think, without water-cooling or fairings, a Cagiva Mito, with water cooling, fairings and an ali frame, claimed I think 140Kg... which is not a lot different to either Snowies old AJS cruiser thing 125 or her Goto-Muzzi 750.... more mention of that power delivery over peak power, I think.

I would 'say' that the optimal weight is probably around the 180-200Kg mark.... that's about what most can physically manage; and 'about' 75bhp ish, as that's enough to be exciting, and certainly more than they got from the old 250 strokers and 400 four-bangers, right up to things like the 883 Hardley, or 1000cc Goto-Muzzi, and hate to say it but the Suzuki SV650....

Ultimately, I think that the question is some-what perverse. Power is not proportional to engine cc, and it's not the power any way, but power delivery.... on weight, with or without street gear, the range is similarly enormouse, and the KR1S ISTR, had a claimed kerb weight in show-room spec of a mere 100Kg... they can get the power up, and the weight down to almost anything they want, what comes out though is how usable the resulted creation may be, and back to power delivery over peak power and weight distribution over shear weight..... and the summation is the 'nature' of the bike as a package, not it's vital statistics....

And from that, do you want something to chuck around the lanes, a race track, over the fields or a trials course, tour America or cross the Ghobi....

Its like trying to judge how sexi a woman is going to be by the numbers a beauty pageant judge yells out...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an answer but musings ( or maybe just total crap), to add to musings.....

Bikes are not (Outside of sport)built for optimal power to weight. Gimping the bike to fit a licence or price point is probably higher on the design list. If power to weight were a consideration steel frames would be a memory.

Some are built almost in opposition to power to weight. Yamaha r125 is a good example, the bike has been made chunkier to look bigger (and appeal to the morons).... pretty sure if it lost the bloat and the fat wheels it would perform better by virtue of weighing less. However then chavvy mcjizzwaste couldn't peel off the 25 part of r125 and fool the local cum bucket he has a superbike.

Many bikes are overbraked, do you really need 2 discs and a total of 8 pistons on the front end of a 60bhp twin? Probably not and a single disk setup would shed weight. I suspect this is because journalists on review in absence of real faults will pick at shit so bikes end up over specc'd in some regard.

I suppose to answer your question I'm going to say around 170-180kg that's the ballpark figure on my GSXR 1000. It has no modern electrobollocks, just the basic bare minimum to be road legal added to an ali framed bike with a 1000cc il4 motor. For a big il4 i don't see how any significant further weight could be lost without resorting to spending very silly money (carbon arm and wheels).

My Enfield again no electroshite beyond efi. 184kg (wet), this bike is overweight. The 535 aircooled single weighs bugger all, the frame and swingarm are steel. Making them in ali though would have made a very light bike with a pricetag nobody would pay.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:46 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the question is either, but here goes anyway.

The whole power train is engineered to cope with the power put through it, or at least it should be, everything has its weak spot. Engineering power delivery is about much more than just desigining parts to fit.

If you wish to understand what engineering, say a complete motorcycle, is all about then there are several thousands of books you need to read along with the thousands of hours of practical learning first.

A bloke who's opinion on such matters is to be highly respected reckons the average to good rider doesn't use much more than a CBR600 can give, so maybe that's your benchmark for power to weight.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you wonder whether to be silent and be thought a fool or hit "Submit" and remove all doubt Smile

I think I probably had a mad idea that there was a "sweet spot" everyone was missing out. Obviously the guys at Honda, BMW, Yamaha, et al know a thing or two but laws and marketing trump all that.

Very interesting though, thanks guys Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah interesting - i want to ask a related question but don't really know how to phrase it. It's about *where* is the best place for the weight to be. Take something basic like the now proverbial sv650. Next imagine that all the mass that isn't the frame and wheels + handle bars and forks, etc., could somehow be condensed down into a tiny volume about the size of a bike battery - where is the best place for that to be? Is it just above ground level at a point halfway between the front and back wheels? In other words, if it were possible to compress the engine and other sundry components into e.g. a cubic foot of mass, where should it be placed so that the bike can corner most efficiently i.e. with max stability?

Manufacturers talk about centralisation of mass and such like, but apparently it's important to distinguish between that and centre of gravity. I just found an interesting discussion about this, but it's mainly in relation to off-road bikes. Presumably different emphases apply to different uses a bike is designed for.

https://transmoto.com.au/explained-mass-centralisation/

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth considering the rider can be counted as "movable ballast" Smile Both for race bikes (leaning and getting the knee down) and off-road (standing on the pegs.)

<addendum> Superbowl tonight so I've got plenty of beer in. Currently sampling Camden's "Off Menu" IPA Smile

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Manufacturers talk about centralisation of mass and such like, but apparently it's important to distinguish between that and centre of gravity./

Of course, centre of gravity could be mid-point between the wheelbase but a mile in the air. Not much good for a bike.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i said - just above ground level

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you're trying to achieve. If you want pure acceleration have the centre of mass as far below the centre of thrust as possible. If you want to turn quickly putting the centre of mass below the centre of rotation will increase the moment of inertia requiring more effort to turn.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Depends what you're trying to achieve. If you want pure acceleration have the centre of mass as far below the centre of thrust as possible. If you want to turn quickly putting the centre of mass below the centre of rotation will increase the moment of inertia requiring more effort to turn.

So obvious, now you've said it Laughing

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:50 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the "centre of thrust" on a motorcycle?

Would that be the rear tyre's contact patch?

Interestingly, advanced racing motorcycle design is only just now recognising that they need to be designing the bike for where the race is won, & that would be somewhere in the corners.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 03 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post by OP is pointless, because of course there's no ideal power to weight ratio to generalise across all people, bikes, preferences and requirements. It's pure Autism talk that's all!

I like these days enduro and supermoto bikes, but also light naked roadsters or dinky 125 race replicas.

For me these days for road legal bikes, 90-130kg bikes are what I'm after or would prefer for what I'd like to use them for. Power well 12-50bhp is around the region Iike too. But I wouldn't buy a bike just for the weight figure or the claimed bhp figure, and neither would any of you lot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:18 - 03 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Where's the "centre of thrust" on a motorcycle?

Would that be the rear tyre's contact patch?

Surprised you don't know that given your racing background. The centre of thrust is normally parallel to the road and level with the centreline of the rear wheel axle. That's the point at which the wheel pushes the rest of the bike forward. It's not the same as the contact patch. People mistakenly assume that because the wheel transfers energy into the ground at that point, it must be the centre of thrust. It's not true.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:37 - 03 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

The centre of thrust is normally parallel to the road and level with the centreline of the rear wheel axle. That's the point at which the wheel pushes the rest of the bike forward. It's not the same as the contact patch. People mistakenly assume that because the wheel transfers energy into the ground at that point, it must be the centre of thrust. It's not true.

So, it's somewhere in front of the rear pivot point then?

That must make wheelying really hard to do.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 03 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:

So, it's somewhere in front of the rear pivot point then?

That must make wheelying really hard to do.

2/10 must try harder...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:33 - 03 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Post by OP is pointless...

Most certainly Smile I think it's a case of not quite knowing what the question is. However, I know the answer certainly isn't the current crop of 125 4-stroke street bikes.

Having said that, props to Honda for turning out the MSX, Monkey and Cub for a touch of variety whereas Yamaha and Kawasaki have unimaginatively shrunken down the MT & Ninja lines.

Talking of the Grom: when someone goes bat-shit crazy and drops in a CB300R engine are they totally mad or are they creating something magically denied to us for purely marketing reasons?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 03 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Depends what you're trying to achieve.

i said in order to corner with stability maximised

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 03 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Talking of the Grom: when someone goes bat-shit crazy and drops in a CB300R engine are they totally mad or are they creating something magically denied to us for purely marketing reasons?

Question depends on the individual...... for a bunch of Motorcycle Enthusiasts (sounds better than bike nerds), not mad at all.

For the bean counters that green light ideas? Makes no sense at all, it probably wouldn't sell in bulk (could you name a target audience that will buy in volume?). Also the actual act of stuffing the engine in the frame is the easy bit, they would need to fund all the R&D behind it, type approval, etc and then sell enough of them to recoup that cost + make profit.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:29 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it thus: What would an engineer build with a clean sheet, minimalist design unencumbered by regulatory considerations?

Plenty of research (by car & bike manufacturers) suggests that the optimum cylinder size for power/economy trade off is 400-500cc.

So how about a 400cc single: Lightweight, compact, economical. BUT... Probably not very powerful.

So how about an 800cc twin? Now we're talking: Nice compact engine, whole bike not much bigger or heavier than a 125, but with about 5 or 6 times the power, and still with decent economy.

Triples and fours? Fine engines for sure, but we're starting to lose the compact dimensions and economy.

So I'm going to go with an 800cc (ish) lightweight twin. And they already exist: Think Yamaha MT07 or KTM 790.

Both decently quick. Both capable of impressive economy. Neither much bigger or heavier than a 125.

Sorted!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Musings on optimum power to weight ratios Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
So the big question: what is the optimum before you have to build bigger? How powerful can you make a bike before you start making a seriously stronger gearbox, reinforce the frame, wack on 4 piston brake calipers?

I don't know the answers to any of those questions - but I did come across a bit of milestone specification this morning - i.e. the '04 R1 weighed 172kg and supposedly made 172bhp (180 once up to speed and the ram air came into play). Thus achieving a 1:1 power-to-weight ratio.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:37 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Musings on optimum power to weight ratios Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I don't know the answers to any of those questions - but I did come across a bit of milestone specification this morning - i.e. the '04 R1 weighed 172kg and supposedly made 172bhp (180 once up to speed and the ram air came into play). Thus achieving a 1:1 power-to-weight ratio.

That means nothing though, because BHP is not an SI unit, but KG is. So really you want 1KW per BHP, which would be approximately 230bhp for a 172kg weight. Also, that'll be a dry weight not a kerb weight. Hardly any litre bikes have a sub 200kg kerb weight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 05 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Musings on optimum power to weight ratios Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

That means nothing though, because BHP is not an SI unit, but KG is. So really you want 1KW per BHP, which would be approximately 230bhp for a 172kg weight. Also, that'll be a dry weight not a kerb weight. Hardly any litre bikes have a sub 200kg kerb weight.

Fair play - I think the article I read was implying that the 1:1 figure was only significant in relation to other bikes. But yes - the muddling of SI and non metric is a all too typical of measurements such as these.

Last edited by trevor saxe-coburg-gotha on 14:58 - 05 Feb 2020; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2