BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New and overwhelmed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think there's a difference between being in control and being in charge.
Often my OH drives the car but I tell him where he has to go 😁

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:07 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get great bargains on ebay if you're good at ebaying and spend hours on research. People give up biking, sell off barely-used gear and don't get a good price because they won't post it or spell the brand name wrong or whatever. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/ebay-protection/ Why buy new gear when you can get a 70% discount?

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:28 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is heresy, but I bought a second hand Arai a couple of weeks ago. With the help of the manual https://www.araihelmet.eu/en/manuals I dismantled it and checked the wear and tear. Washed everything, put it back together, it looks new now, inside and out. Polished the scratches with Novus https://ebay.us/3ubY2x

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can feel something in the force of BCF, I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something not right. Perhaps HT can put his great mind to things and figure it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
.. if you think a helmet is an essential safety measure, you should also wear an airbag.

Neutral

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:22 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:

Another tip is to get Google News to email you motorcycle stories every day. Lots of deaths and injuries. Here's a good one: https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/rayleigh-biker-who-died-after-3845060

Seems like a terrible way to spend your mornings.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:31 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Completely off of the original topic, but I've not cleaned my GS in well over a year, more than 16,000 miles at least. It lives outdoors, uncovered, in all weather. In those 16,000 miles it's commuted on daily through London, come rain, salt, or shine. It's been up to the top of Scotland and back, around the M25 countless times, off-road, on-road, through floods, mud, horse shit, dog shit (yuck), and spends the nights parked under a cherry tree getting the occasional spattering of pigeon shit.

I'm not even the biggest fan of GSes (which probably explains the lack of washing), the only reason I bought it is the price was right (mates rates), but truthfully pretty much the only places at all that you'll find any sign of rust is the top-box rack, which has a tiny bit of surface rust, and the exhaust link pipe, which is cheap aftermarket non-stainless. Corrosion wise, pretty much just the bottoms of the forks, which have lost their paint due to constant stone chips.

I appreciate perhaps the GS was built to a bit of a higher standard than most bikes (though I'd struggle to believe it when it comes to the electronics!). But this:

linuxyeti wrote:
All you need to do, is coat with acf-50, or some other corrosion blocker, and rinse off after a ride in the salt, dry thoroughly, one of those pet dryers is perfect, then, perhaps give it a decent clean once a month, until the dryer weather arrives, I really don't know why some people find keeping a bike corrosion free so difficult.

Sounds like a lot of effort compared to pretty much anything I've ever owned.

I'm not saying you're wrong but that must be the only non dissolving BMW GS in existence. Both BMW's I've had have had utterly, utterly appalling paint quality. It's peeled off worse than any other bike I've owned.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:23 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to coat them in mud so you can pretend you've had an adventure. Pretty much every other bike at the London bike show the other day was a GS, with such huge panniers that the bike was nearly as wide as it was long. All geared up to go to Everest base camp, but the panniers have nothing in them except spare gloves. Who'd have thought that panniers could ever become a status symbol? I suppose big panniers = small penis. The GS has become the boring old dobber's bike. They chug along, blocking the road, always with a white helmet in the hope that car drivers will mistake them for plod. They even wear those Polite vests. That's what modern biking has come to.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:43 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
They chug along, blocking the road, always with a white helmet in the hope that car drivers will mistake them for plod. They even wear those Polite vests.

I think I'm in love.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
That's what modern biking has come to.

And airbags. Don't forget airbags.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Undinist wrote:
They chug along, blocking the road, always with a white helmet in the hope that car drivers will mistake them for plod. They even wear those Polite vests.

I think I'm in love.

This brings up images in my mind of that biker navigating through waterside bollards when his pannier catches one and flips him into the dock below.
Sadly little to no chance of finding that clip Sad

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:13 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was priceless, he fell on a yacht I think?

Here it is https://youtu.be/b424iGkWe0Q

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:35 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
That was priceless, he fell on a yacht I think?

Here it is https://youtu.be/b424iGkWe0Q

Ouch!

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:41 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says in the comments he was a French journalist reviewing the FJR, and dislocated his shoulder.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
It says in the comments he was a French journalist reviewing the FJR, and dislocated his shoulder.

I was talking about the bike and the yacht. Stupid rider is stupid.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
This brings up images in my mind of that biker navigating through... bollards

My favourite 2-wheeler interaction with bollards: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk3jCB97nDw

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
Best to coat them in mud so you can pretend you've had an adventure. Pretty much every other bike at the London bike show the other day was a GS, with such huge panniers that the bike was nearly as wide as it was long. All geared up to go to Everest base camp, but the panniers have nothing in them except spare gloves. Who'd have thought that panniers could ever become a status symbol? I suppose big panniers = small penis. The GS has become the boring old dobber's bike. They chug along, blocking the road, always with a white helmet in the hope that car drivers will mistake them for plod. They even wear those Polite vests. That's what modern biking has come to.

That's a lot of preconceptions and bigotry rolled into poorly thought out stereotypes.

Yes I have a BMUU GSA, Yes I have luggage, yes they are empty some of the time.
I go the speed I want, I don't wear a white lid, I don't think I'm plod. I have more fun all year round than most others.
The BMUU is so comfy and suites my riding style. I have had big trailies or Adventure bikes as they have now been called since for ever. I remember tuning up at the NEC bike show and out of the few thousand bikes I was the only one with an Africa Twin wearing Alpinestar Tec3 around the show.
People have now cottoned on to the fact that you can't be a Mike Hailwood Barry Sheene or Rossi want to be on the English roads. Sports bikes are a one trick pony to many, not all, but most.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
People have now cottoned on to the fact that you can't be a Mike Hailwood Barry Sheene or Rossi want to be on the English roads.

Be more Fonzie.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:00 - 18 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Undinist wrote:

That's a lot of preconceptions and bigotry rolled into poorly thought out stereotypes.

Yes I have a BMUU GSA, Yes I have luggage, yes they are empty some of the time.
I go the speed I want, I don't wear a white lid, I don't think I'm plod. I have more fun all year round than most others.
The BMUU is so comfy and suites my riding style. I have had big trailies or Adventure bikes as they have now been called since for ever. I remember tuning up at the NEC bike show and out of the few thousand bikes I was the only one with an Africa Twin wearing Alpinestar Tec3 around the show.
People have now cottoned on to the fact that you can't be a Mike Hailwood Barry Sheene or Rossi want to be on the English roads. Sports bikes are a one trick pony to many, not all, but most.

I know a lot of people with GSs - but I strongly suspect that if KTM hadn't failed to spot the potential for advertising their brand when Ewan and Charlie's producers approached them, all you guys on beemers would've been rding mahoosive pumpkins these last ten years or more.

Also - could you really have ever got on with a cbr600? I imagine you were always a fair old unit. I'm not exactly svelte me sen (but I do get on with my cbr - what I like about it is its weight, its price and it reliability; they feel a decent chunk under 200kg, they're ten a penny, and apart from reg recs they don't want for much (ok ok - a cct here and there).

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 18 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
always with a white helmet in the hope that car drivers will mistake them for plod.

The point of a white helmet is that it's far more visible amongst road traffic. But then I guess you don't need to worry about that if you're wearing an air vest.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 18 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Undinist wrote:
always with a white helmet in the hope that car drivers will mistake them for plod.

The point of a white helmet is that it's far more visible amongst road traffic. But then I guess you don't need to worry about that if you're wearing an air vest.

Thumbs Up
Undinist wrote:
none of my many, many crashes have needed hospital treatment.

The best way to survive an accident is not to have one in the first place. (© Jeremy Clarkson.) It sounds to me like you're blatting around blaming outside influences for your unfortunate record and relying on clothing technology to survive another day. Those damned car drivers, eh?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 18 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
In fact none of my many, many crashes have needed hospital treatment. I am just trying to forewarn you about things which I have miraculously got away with so far.

Have you been to any bike shows? Have a look at all the people with a limp or a walking stick. They are hugely, massively outnumbered by people who are not at the show because they're dead, crippled or gave up biking after a scare.

Another tip is to get Google News to email you motorcycle stories every day. Lots of deaths and injuries. Here's a good one: https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/rayleigh-biker-who-died-after-3845060

I missed this post earlier, but went back and found it when Jimbo quoted it.
wtf? If this is indicative of the way you feel about biking and how much you crash, why on earth are you on a bike?

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:29 - 18 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn.

https://i.imgur.com/RlKibcP.jpg

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 18 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
Yawn.

Ohhh, pointless 1 upmanship.

I see your boring lean angle and raise you 170MPH Laughing

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49552120517_13cb9f35a4_o.jpg

and I must be deaded coz I wasn't wearing an airbag vest

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:54 - 18 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

The best way to survive an accident is not to have one in the first place. (© Jeremy Clarkson.) It sounds to me like you're blatting around blaming outside influences for your unfortunate record and relying on clothing technology to survive another day. Those damned car drivers, eh?

This might be an irrational/stupid thing but, I'm not massively worried about dying on a bike (or rather, dying being flug off a bike). I can't see it happening, maybe because I haven't experienced death?

What I have experienced is dislocated shoulders and broken arms / collarbones. I'm much much more worried about coming off and dislocating a shoulder, or maybe losing a foot/ruining an ankle than I am about actually dying.

Once they invent shoulder airbags I will invest.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/funny-young-man-swimming-arm-bands-isolated-white-background-31668978.jpg[/img]
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6