Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New and overwhelmed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: New and overwhelmed Reply with quote

Hi all

Passed my MOD2 yesterday.. don't know what i want or what i want it for if i'm honest.
Dad had bikes and i always fancied one, did my CBT in 2010 and then did nothing with it.
Decided to try again and got to the end point. My first thought was to ease the commute into Manchester when the weather is better and then try make use of it on a weekend, the odd trip out or to make normal errands that bit more interesting!

I will confess to knowing nothing about bikes really and i don't know where to start.
My budget is 5k-ish but don't need to spend all of that.
I like the look of the retro stuff but not sure that's the type of bike i want or will suit what i need it for.
I also want something that I'm not going to get bored of.. but I'm not the most confident to go out and buy something scary.

Anyone recommend a good article to read on bikes for dummies? So when i do start looking i know what i'm looking at!

Thanks guys

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the sticky threads at the top of this very forum? A good place to start.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: New and overwhelmed Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
Hi all

Passed my MOD2 yesterday.. don't know what i want or what i want it for if i'm honest.
Dad had bikes and i always fancied one, did my CBT in 2010 and then did nothing with it.
Decided to try again and got to the end point. My first thought was to ease the commute into Manchester when the weather is better and then try make use of it on a weekend, the odd trip out or to make normal errands that bit more interesting!

I will confess to knowing nothing about bikes really and i don't know where to start.
I like the look of the retro stuff but not sure that's the type of bike i want or will suit what i need it for.
I also want something that I'm not going to get bored of.. but I'm not the most confident to go out and buy something scary.

Anyone recommend a good article to read on bikes for dummies? So when i do start looking i know what i'm looking at!

Thanks guys

£5K retro bike, I think you've just described a Royal Enfield Interceptor !! Lovely bike, and, 2nd hand & ex-demo bikes are beginning to find their way to the market..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYAL-ENFIELD-INTERCEPTOR-2018-68-EX-DEMO-513-MILES/153723638269?hash=item23caa491fd:g:sScAAOSw6GJeMJlp

Here's 1 close to you .. Since released in March last year, constantly been a best seller in it's segment according to the MCIA press stats. I can confirm it's a lovely bike to ride, nimble, and has been 100% reliable for me, in the just over 5000 miles I've ridden it, including 1 day of a 392 mile round trip. !!

Of course, if you want to look a little leftfield. I can recommend a Mash 400, you'll easily get 1 in your budget, has the advantage of being in the lower ved bracket, again, nice bike to ride, and perfectly capable on the motorway, this bike will also bring into play the Herald 400, same frame & engine..

Or.. there's the new Benelli Imperiale 400, only had mine a couple of weeks, nearly, but 500 miles in, I'm enjoying riding it, still running this in, but, a very nice lazy bike.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

£5k is a healthy budget, even half that will get you something nice enough to start on.

General good advice is to get a year or so under your belt on something cheap and cheerful, to get any slow speeds drops out of the way on a bike you wont cry over.

The rest of your money will sit nicely until the following summer, when you've learned a little bit more about what you like and are a bit more confident on two wheels.

Nice middle of the road option for a year or two would be an SV650 like so.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
£5k is a healthy budget, even half that will get you something nice enough to start on.

General good advice is to get a year or so under your belt on something cheap and cheerful, to get any slow speeds drops out of the way on a bike you wont cry over.

The rest of your money will sit nicely until the following summer, when you've learned a little bit more about what you like and are a bit more confident on two wheels.

Nice middle of the road option for a year or two would be an SV650 like so.

Or, you just get any bike you want.. The risk of a drop is there, no matter what the bike, how experienced you are, or, how expensive the bike is ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEf_xmHnRmU

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I will be the complete antithesis of linuxyeti and say don't get any of them as a first bike.

Get a machine from a mainstream manufacturer that is supported in your area.

There are plenty of retro/naked style bikes to chose from that will be reliable and fun to ride. Make some decisions on what you like. Go to bike shops and sit on them. Get a test ride if you can.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Well I will be the complete antithesis of linuxyeti and say don't get any of them as a first bike.

There are plenty of retro/naked style bikes to chose from that will be reliable and fun to ride. Make some decisions on what you like. Go to bike shops and sit on them. Get a test ride if you can.

And why is that? How are RE no longer a mainstream manufacturer, there are more RE dealers withing 20 miles of me than there are Triumph or Kawasaki dealers.. Come on, Polarbear, get into the 21st century, if not the current decade !!

Same goes for Benelli, and there's at least 2 Mash dealerships in my area.

In the North West, especially, there are plenty of RE & Benelli dealerships, I can't say what the dealer situation is like for Mash up in the North West.

There aren't that many retro styled bikes to choose from, sticking a round headlight on an Sv doesn't really make it retro

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:43 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: New and overwhelmed Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
Hi all

Thanks guys

What I never thought about with bikes is how the engine feels. So I would see if you can ride a few bikes, try thumpers, v twins, inline 4s, see how they feel to ride what what makes you happy when you twist the throttle. If you hate the way a boxer engine feels, a retro BMW isn't for you even if it looks cool Smile

That said, I will probably choose a ZZR600 as my first bike. They are cheap as chips, super cool, reliable...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

And why is that? How are RE no longer a mainstream manufacturer, there are more RE dealers withing 20 miles of me than there are Triumph or Kawasaki dealers.. Come on, Polarbear, get into the 21st century, if not the current decade !!

Same goes for Benelli, and there's at least 2 Mash dealerships in my area.

In the North West, especially, there are plenty of RE & Benelli dealerships, I can't say what the dealer situation is like for Mash up in the North West.

There aren't that many retro styled bikes to choose from, sticking a round headlight on an Sv doesn't really make it retro

Because in my view an RE as lovely as they are, are not a suitable primary or only bike. I like them but I'd have to have another bike as my regular machine.

As for the others, I don't like Chinese and I'll never recommend one as a first bike to someone, and even if I did, I wouldn't recommend a large cc single because I don't like them as road bikes. Also what you call dealerships are not what I call dealerships.

That's my view which is just as valid as yours. Razz

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a good do-it-all bike is where you should start. Something that performs reasonably at most tasks. What used to be known as an all-rounder; a rarity these days.

I would suggest a Fazer 600, 98-03, or maybe a Hornet. These bikes will give you something of everything, and then you can find out what you like best about them, what you don't like, and hone a future choice that way. They'll at least be fairly reliable assuming you manage to pick a good, looked-after example, cope with any commute you want to do and give you a taste of the more fun side of things. And they won't break the bank to run or if you drop them.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Agreed^^^

You can get a decent example of any of the all rounders, Fazers, Bandits, Hornets, ER6s or even SV's if you are so inclined. You can get a good example of any of them and still have change from your budget.

How about a pink Gladius Whistle

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usedphotosna/70568742_614.jpg

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the 'foxeye' Fazer. I got over fifty thousand miles out of mine. Really is a good all rounder and ideal first big bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for an old ratty bike for less than a grand that you won't give a shit about, thrash (what remains of) the arse off it then flog it for as close to the price you paid when you've got bored/destroyed it, then do the same again until you've got a bit of experience under your belt.

Use that first bike as a learning tool for riding, maintenance, dropping and basically fucking up in all weather conditions..... you'll find that no matter how bad the weather is, how miserable your commute is... you'll still reach your destination with a grin on your face Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Look for an old ratty bike for less than a grand that you won't give a shit about, thrash (what remains of) the arse off it then flog it for as close to the price you paid when you've got bored/destroyed it, then do the same again until you've got a bit of experience under your belt.

Use that first bike as a learning tool for riding, maintenance, dropping and basically fucking up in all weather conditions..... you'll find that no matter how bad the weather is, how miserable your commute is... you'll still reach your destination with a grin on your face Thumbs Up

My opinion is that such a rat is jumping too far in the deep end. Sorry andy Smile
You can learn basic maintenance on a decent example. Get those skills down first before you have to start scratching your head wondering what's bloody wrong with it?!, and getting frustrated. Have a pleasant introduction to biking!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
My opinion is that such a rat is jumping too far in the deep end. Sorry andy Smile
You can learn basic maintenance on a decent example. Get those skills down first before you have to start scratching your head wondering what's bloody wrong with it?!, and getting frustrated. Have a pleasant introduction to biking!

Each to their own.

I don't see the point in spending a fortune on a first bike, and sometimes being thrown in at the deep end is the best way to learn.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a perfectly good bike for a couple of grand that won't leave you stuck at the side of the road once a week or whatever.

£2000 is a reasonable sum I would suggest. Plenty of decent bikes on ebay for that or less.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Each to their own.

I don't see the point in spending a fortune on a first bike, and sometimes being thrown in at the deep end is the best way to learn.

Perhaps, but when your starting point is "I know nothing about bikes", maybe not. I still say basics first, give yourself a grounding on which to base a deeper learning. The OP could always buy something to tinker on in the garage, a simple single cylinder machine perhaps, if tinkering is his (oops, apologies!) their thing. £5k would stretch to both if sensible about it. And some tools.

Wait a sec. Did I suggest being sensible?! I think I need to see a doctor Laughing

Fireblade [/thread]

Last edited by chickenstrip on 21:45 - 13 Feb 2020; edited 2 times in total

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your replies

I am torn between the practical and the pretty..
That RE is right up my street and is completely something that I would go for.
Someone said up above that it's all about how the bike feels, whilst learning I experienced a twin an a 4 and I liked the smoothness (if that's the right word) of the 4. But I can appreciate how the other "feel" would better suit another bike.

I'm thinking that the sensible thing to do would be to buy something cheap to learn to ride on then get the bike I really want in a year or two.
My dad (fortunately) could always help if I run into mechanical issues and my husband is technically minded so don't think it will be the end of the world if something goes wrong.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:

I'm thinking that the sensible thing to do would be to buy something cheap to learn to ride on then get the bike I really want in a year or two.
My dad (fortunately) could always help if I run into mechanical issues and my husband is technically minded so don't think it will be the end of the world if something goes wrong.

No point in going too cheap though. It'll take the shine off the whole biking experience if your first bike is forever in pieces on the garage floor, with money flying out on parts etc. That's what I think anyway Smile

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:

Sounds good. Something that is mechanically decent (anything that's had maintenance) but might be a little scruffy. I would not be too woried about getting a very low mileage thing, either, if it's got a reasonable but not excessive mileage on it at least shows it works.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

£5k budget? That will be £3K for a bike and the rest on gear and security with a bit to one side if repairs are needed.

If you live near Manchester take a trip up to Superbike Factory. There are some good and bad stories about the place. I have had three bikes from there with no issues, the best thing about the place are that there are loads of bikes in all shapes and sizes just to try and sit on. See how they look and feel. Then if you see something you like you can either go elsewhere or get it from there. As for which bike, that's up to you as you are the one living with it.

As for gear... J&S in Northwich. Go in there and you will come out fully geared up to your needs. YOUR NEEDS not others. Set a budget and you will be fine. £500 is more than plenty for first time gear.

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:04 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
£5k budget? That will be £3K for a bike and the rest on gear and security with a bit to one side if repairs are needed.

If you live near Manchester take a trip up to Superbike Factory. There are some good and bad stories about the place. I have had three bikes from there with no issues, the best thing about the place are that there are loads of bikes in all shapes and sizes just to try and sit on. See how they look and feel.

Got a decent jacket, jeans, gloves and boots already. Went to JS in Northwich they were really helpful.
Tbh didn't think of security, got a garage at home so not too bothered about that aspect but work will be full of scrotes and where it will be vulnerable.
The superbike factory looks decent to have a nosey of what's about, might check it out. Do they pester you there? Nothing worse than those guys that continuously come up to you asking if your ok or need help with anything...

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Because in my view an RE as lovely as they are, are not a suitable primary or only bike. I like them but I'd have to have another bike as my regular machine.

As for the others, I don't like Chinese and I'll never recommend one as a first bike to someone, and even if I did, I wouldn't recommend a large cc single because I don't like them as road bikes. Also what you call dealerships are not what I call dealerships.

That's my view which is just as valid as yours. Razz

Except, you have no experience of any of the bikes and/or manufactureers, whereas, I have, so, no, your view is not as valid, as it's based on prejudice and heresay, and, not actual experience. can I ask, how many miles have you ridden on an Interceptor, or Mash, or Benelli, or any other for that matter, in the last, lets make it easy, say, 12 months? You're quite happy giving your opinions, but, don't actually see any riding reports from you?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
Thank you for all your replies

I am torn between the practical and the pretty..
That RE is right up my street and is completely something that I would go for.
Someone said up above that it's all about how the bike feels, whilst learning I experienced a twin an a 4 and I liked the smoothness (if that's the right word) of the 4. But I can appreciate how the other "feel" would better suit another bike.

Sounds good, for a new very good bike, at the price, you would be really hard pressed to beat the current Royal Enfield 650's.. 3 Years warranty & free breakdown cover, can't say I've had to use either, but for peace of mind and all that ..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6